PDA

View Full Version : CPC Leadership Race

Pages : [1] 2

zechs
05-19-2022, 06:31 PM
We've all been fairly focused on the UCP implosion and Ukraine for a while, but the CPC leader race is a special kind of fuckery.

So far, it appears Charest (a liberal) is working with Brown (the slimiest politician I've seen in some time) to try and make sure Poilievre doesn't win. Seems like big-wig party insiders are quite against Poilievre.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/conservative-mp-ed-fast-left-critic-role-to-speak-freely-on-poilievres-highly-questionable-monetary-policies

Who do you think will win? Was at the debate in Edmonton, it was about what you expect. Charest comes off like the Laurentian elite he is, which is somehow immediately as infuriating, if not more so, then Trudeau's childish patronzing and fake empathy is.

It can't be pointed out strongly enough how Brown is a vapid, thoughtless power hungry slimeball. I worry that he may do well in the system the conservatives have in place.

https://thepointer.com/article/2022-05-17/patrick-brown-s-game-of-thrones-exploit-immigrant-communities-divide-religious-minorities

Lewis and Baber are not factors, they will always be below the top 3 and therefore not impact final tallies. Atchisen has zero presence, so I doubt he matters as well.

So Poilievre, Charest, or Brown. Poilievre is clearly who the base wants, just like Bernier was before. Brown is a slimey piece of shit who will bring about an extremely corrupt party/gov if he ever was to be Prime Minister. Charest, while in all aspects a Liberal, certainly strikes me as "prime ministrial". Still a dickhead, but I can look past that if the ends justify the means.

killramos
05-19-2022, 06:49 PM
The LPC if it had any spine should make Charest their leader.

But they have long ago descended into nonsense.

SKR
05-19-2022, 07:07 PM
I don't care who they pick, as I'll be voting for my MP. The way you're supposed to.

ThePenIsMightier

JRSC00LUDE
05-19-2022, 07:24 PM
The CPC has no interest in electing the leader that's good for the country, it would be foolish to think otherwise.

ExtraSlow
05-19-2022, 07:38 PM
The goal of all political parties is to gain and increase power.

ThePenIsMightier
05-19-2022, 07:48 PM
I don't care who they pick, as I'll be voting for my MP. The way you're supposed to.

ThePenIsMightier

I pee'd on my MP, then voted for him anyways.
Just the way Bearded Sky Man intended!

redline
05-19-2022, 08:55 PM
None of them can win a federal election, so it does not matter

Yolobimmer
05-19-2022, 09:26 PM
Who gives a fuck.

And PP is a dumb sack if shit that lacks even elementary understanding of Canada's financial instruments and economy.

Anyone that would vote for him is extra braindead.

zechs
05-20-2022, 07:52 AM

Always enjoy the stupid liberal takes. At least you were smart enough to not say "can't get enough votes" because clearly they can.

redline
05-20-2022, 10:40 AM
Always enjoy the stupid liberal takes. At least you were smart enough to not say "can't get enough votes" because clearly they can.

and the stupid conservative takes that prove you don't understand what country your in ... popular vote is meaningless in Canada. so it does not matter the all of western Canada votes CPC they cant win enough ridings in eastern Canada to win.... and with the lot of roaches that are currently running for leader none of them have what it takes to win in the east.

So pick anyone that you like ... they will fail and after the next election we can just bring up this thread again...

kertejud2
05-20-2022, 11:24 AM
The goal of all political parties is to gain and increase power.

Given the past seven years and the folks involved in this leadership election, this is not a goal of the CPC.

ExtraSlow
05-20-2022, 11:28 AM
Given the past seven years and the folks involved in this leadership election, this is not a goal of the CPC.

I think they are just awful at it. And that's coming from a person who usually votes conservative.

Yolobimmer
05-20-2022, 11:48 AM
The country has moved to more progressive values in general.

The cpc has chosen to bring out the Trump in the few that possess that disease.

They can't win again.

Don't feel bad. Today's Liberals are like yesterdays Conservatives, so you aren't missing out.

Going forward, we are also going to start seeing coalition governments. That's a good thing, the government will actually represent more voters.

redline
05-20-2022, 12:09 PM
The country has moved to more progressive values in general.

The cpc has chosen to bring out the Trump in the few that possess that disease.

They can't win again.

Don't feel bad. Today's Liberals are like yesterdays Conservatives, so you aren't missing out.

Going forward, we are also going to start seeing coalition governments. That's a good thing, the government will actually represent more voters.

the only that is difference is the federal liberals really eastern biassed ... well i guess the play to the people that vote for them so not unexpected.

Yolobimmer
05-20-2022, 01:04 PM
There's no bias. That's just a Trumpian talking point.

They're preying on the selfish among us. We needed to take care of ourselves, but decided to piss away our only asset and give it away for free.

I hope we radically move to renewables and rare minerals at high royalty rates. That will be the only way we will succeed (as a province, and not end up a have not between wars).

Misterman
05-24-2022, 09:29 PM
The CPC has no interest in electing the leader that's good for the country, it would be foolish to think otherwise.

Well anyone can buy a cheap membership and make a vote. The wife and I are doing our part at least.

Guess we will see. Trudeau is the least popular PM in history based on the last two elections data. Then you think about who in these specific regions where he got the few votes he did, was actually voting for him. You have pot heads that wanted weed legalized, and millennials/Gen Z'ers that want wokeness. Weed is now legal, so it's a non issue. And millennials should be pretty damn disenfranchised seeing that wokeness has left them living in mom and dads basement unable to afford a house or anything. Their choice is to vote for a repeat of such policies that got them where they are, or someone like Pierre who is actually suggesting solutions(whether you believe them or not, nobody else is even addressing the problems). So the question is whether these children in Toronto have enough sense to switch their vote this time. The ideologs that want to be forever ruled and fisted by government will never swing vote. But the moderates should be strongly leaning towards a change with the current state of affairs in their local communities.

Harper pulled it off against much stronger leaders than Trudeau.

zechs
05-31-2022, 02:38 PM
https://financialpost.com/executive/executive-summary/posthaste-bank-of-canada-super-sized-hike-all-but-certain-what-that-means-for-your-mortgage

Sales are already down across the board, I think the lunatics running the BoC are actually fucking retards at this point and Pierre is right to want to "fire them".

"Inflation is high due to international events outside our control"

"Uses monetary policy for its national currency to try and make changes to something they claim is being caused from outside their capacity"

Not that I'm against raising interest rates, it had to be done, but my lord this rollercoaster is going to fuck the poors the most.

High inflation with no wage growth into a stalled economy with no jobs. Except in Alberta where international oil prices will keep us wealthy

Xtrema
05-31-2022, 03:38 PM
Rempel is my MP. I could care less who run CPC.

In term of beating Trudeau, I think Charest has a better chance than PP because of Quebec but I don't see how he can beat PP to lead CPC.

redline
05-31-2022, 03:51 PM

In term of beating Trudeau, I think Charest has a better chance than PP because of Quebec but I don't see how he can beat PP to lead CPC.

quoted for truth...

conservatives are dumb...

ThePenIsMightier
05-31-2022, 09:18 PM

Hasn't Charest lost running for Premier in Quebec? Maybe twice? Maybe 9x? No one fuckin likes him there either. Career of losing.

He's the Brian Zshaaw to our Brian Gene.

Xtrema
06-01-2022, 09:28 AM
Hasn't Charest lost running for Premier in Quebec? Maybe twice? Maybe 9x? No one fuckin likes him there either. Career of losing.

He's the Brian Zshaaw to our Brian Gene.

I thought he lost that one because the NO camp won during the referendum.

Anomaly
06-01-2022, 09:53 AM
quoted for truth...

conservatives are dumb...

Not that I think PP is necessarily electable out east, but Charest has a history of losing and looks corrupt as fuck. Investigated for corruption multiple times and worked as a Huawei shill. He would 100% cause a party split, and still get fucking rinsed by the liberals.

killramos
06-01-2022, 09:54 AM
He’s just such a cut and dry big L liberal it’s hilarious

Making a complete farce of our already farcical system.

Misterman
06-04-2022, 08:13 AM

Not trying to get rid of Trudeau necessarily. We need to get rid of his joke policies. Voting in someone else to continue those policies just because he wears blue instead of red is not helpful. And after seeing the demise of O'toole, it's not hard to fathom how unpopular Charest would be with Conservatives.

OTown
06-04-2022, 10:34 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/8874755/ontario-election-results-2022/

If we use Ontario elections this week as a good gauge, its not looking good for the left. Those are substantial gains

zechs
06-04-2022, 10:57 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/8874755/ontario-election-results-2022/

If we use Ontario elections this week as a good gauge, its not looking good for the left. Those are substantial gains

The Ontario Conservatives are anything but conservative. I do not think this means as much as one would think at a surface level. The conservatives bought the unions and promised massive spending. As far as I am aware, Ontario still has the largest subnational debt in the world, with it being projected before covid to be *checks notes* FOUR HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS LOL.

The conservatives in Ontario are effectively parroting LPC policy in trying to keep debt growth below gdp growth. Markets are screaming right now about a possible worldwide recession in in the next 18 months. And then when Ontario defaults, the feds will offload their debt onto Alberta.

Misterman
06-04-2022, 11:18 AM
The Ontario Conservatives are anything but conservative. I do not think this means as much as one would think at a surface level. The conservatives bought the unions and promised massive spending. As far as I am aware, Ontario still has the largest subnational debt in the world, with it being projected before covid to be *checks notes* FOUR HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS LOL.

The conservatives in Ontario are effectively parroting LPC policy in trying to keep debt growth below gdp growth. Markets are screaming right now about a possible worldwide recession in in the next 18 months. And then when Ontario defaults, the feds will offload their debt onto Alberta.

Regardless if you think Ontarions were "tricked" into voting Conservative, or did so of sound mind, it seems likely that they could follow such thought processes towards their Federal votes.

killramos
06-04-2022, 11:20 AM
I think it’s at least somewhat valuable to know that Ontarians are capable of electing someone who calls themselves conservative.

zechs
07-03-2022, 10:52 AM
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/marjory-lebreton-the-conservatives-existential-identity-crisis

It still amuses me when a liberal tells the conservatives their movement is falling apart. Pierre has the overwhelming majority support, I'd say the base has never been so united. It appears the only ones who care are the chattering class that get a hard on for being different by acting as a red tory.

Pierre can sell a united conservative vision, and actually offers a focused conservative message he can offer to the general public.

kertejud2
07-03-2022, 11:52 AM
A rallied base has always been the CPCs problem. There was a never a doubt PP appealed to that base, but that isn't how you win an election. When the 'red tories' are getting scared is when they lose easily winnable elections (see: 2019)

zechs
07-03-2022, 01:39 PM
A rallied base has always been the CPCs problem. There was a never a doubt PP appealed to that base, but that isn't how you win an election. When the 'red tories' are getting scared is when they lose easily winnable elections (see: 2019)

Your upside-down world viewpoint is that the CPC needs to be more Liberal to win. It's a stupid viewpoint, and you would be one of the Liberal voting losers telling people the conservatives are falling apart.

kertejud2
07-03-2022, 07:36 PM
Your upside-down world viewpoint is that the CPC needs to be more Liberal to win. It's a stupid viewpoint, and you would be one of the Liberal voting losers telling people the conservatives are falling apart.

More Liberal, less Reform, more PC, less Republican. Whatever you want to call it, yes, that's what they need to do, because that's where the votes to be won are. The party's success came when they effectively shut the base up, not give them a platform to give Liberal attack ads a smorgasbord of content to choose from.

The votes the CPC needs to win are the educated, suburban families who are looking for excuses to be able to ignore the CPCs social rhetoric for the slight hope they might get $50 off on their taxes. They already have the Conservative base vote all wrapped up. It's the most reliable voting bloc in the country and always has been. Catering to that base has always been the CPC's weakness.

If the conservative base was actually falling apart, they'd comfortably win, because the base was very unhappy when the party had a majority.

Buster
07-03-2022, 08:10 PM
More Liberal, less Reform, more PC, less Republican. Whatever you want to call it, yes, that's what they need to do, because that's where the votes to be won are. The party's success came when they effectively shut the base up, not give them a platform to give Liberal attack ads a smorgasbord of content to choose from.

The votes the CPC needs to win are the educated, suburban families who are looking for excuses to be able to ignore the CPCs social rhetoric for the slight hope they might get $50 off on their taxes. They already have the Conservative base vote all wrapped up. It's the most reliable voting bloc in the country and always has been. Catering to that base has always been the CPC's weakness.

If the conservative base was actually falling apart, they'd comfortably win, because the base was very unhappy when the party had a majority.

My definition of "win" is whatever splinters Confederation. Do you think a be Red Tory running CPC or PP gets to that goal quicker?

killramos
07-03-2022, 08:12 PM
I’ve been wishing I could vote bloc for a decade.

kertejud2
07-03-2022, 08:17 PM
My definition of "win" is whatever splinters Confederation. Do you think a be Red Tory running CPC or PP gets to that goal quicker?

That goal and voting Conservative are antithetical.

Buster
07-03-2022, 08:25 PM
That goal and voting Conservative are antithetical.

Even so, one would be preferable over the other for that purpose. Which do you suppose that is?

kertejud2
07-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Even so, one would be preferable over the other for that purpose. Which do you suppose that is?

The most disruptive to voting patterns, obviously: the Red Tory.

Buster
07-03-2022, 08:40 PM
The most disruptive to voting patterns, obviously: the Red Tory.

I suspect you are right. A Red Tory is essentially a fox in the henhouse. It is the idea that all roads really do lead to a Liberal or a Liberal in disguise, serving a specific geographic area.

killramos
07-03-2022, 08:48 PM
People who aspire to the government gravy tend to be Liberals?

Weird.

jutes
07-03-2022, 09:08 PM
Canadians vote on single issues even though that issue will never affect them, but will anyway because feelings. CPC can promise an end to income tax with a balanced budget yet morons in this country will vote liberal because abortion.

kertejud2
07-03-2022, 09:10 PM
I suspect you are right. A Red Tory is essentially a fox in the henhouse. It is the idea that all roads really do lead to a Liberal or a Liberal in disguise, serving a specific geographic area.

A federal Conservative needs a strong Confederation to get into and stay in power because of where their voting base is. A Red Tory less so, hence they're the more preferable of the two if that's your goal, as hapless as it is.

Buster
07-03-2022, 09:12 PM
A federal Conservative needs a strong Confederation to get into and stay in power because of where their voting base is. A Red Tory less so, hence they're the more preferable of the two if that's your goal, as hapless as it is.

I think more, not less, regionalization and instability is in Canada's future.

zechs
07-06-2022, 06:19 AM
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/conservative-leadership-organizers-disqualify-patrick-brown-from-race

A heartfelt fuck you and good riddance to this guy. One of the sleaziest politicians out there in Canadian politics.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2022, 06:27 AM
He didn't seem like the best choice.

Brent.ff
07-06-2022, 08:17 AM
Canadians vote on single issues even though that issue will never affect them, but will anyway because feelings. CPC can promise an end to income tax with a balanced budget yet morons in this country will vote liberal because abortion.

And yet CPC cant wrap their head around this and get past it to help them get a win... Dont forget how quickly that blew up in Scheers face in what should have been a sure win. I really dont understand how the CPC hasnt figured this out. What, the further rights are going to not vote for them?!

zechs
07-06-2022, 09:15 AM
And yet CPC cant wrap their head around this and get past it to help them get a win... Dont forget how quickly that blew up in Scheers face in what should have been a sure win. I really dont understand how the CPC hasnt figured this out. What, the further rights are going to not vote for them?!

If you look at the numbers from the last election, there is a larger than small chance the PPC caused the Cons to miss out on a minority gov. And o'toole and scheer were awful leaders.

JRSC00LUDE
07-06-2022, 09:20 AM

They really are the dumbest party in the Country, it's amazing to me.

Brent.ff
07-06-2022, 09:40 AM
If you look at the numbers from the last election, there is a larger than small chance the PPC caused the Cons to miss out on a minority gov. And o'toole and scheer were awful leaders.

How many of those voters were simply going out to protest vote due to covid restrictions and wouldnt have voted for anyone during a normal election? ... and what about during sheers run?

Buster
07-06-2022, 09:43 AM
Most/Many conservative voters are dumb.

They vote for social issues, but complain about economic issues.

Xtrema
07-06-2022, 09:45 AM
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/conservative-leadership-organizers-disqualify-patrick-brown-from-race

A heartfelt fuck you and good riddance to this guy. One of the sleaziest politicians out there in Canadian politics.

So PP it is?

Thought Brown has always been Charest's hitman and never has a chance.

killramos
07-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Most/Many voters are dumb.

They vote for social issues, but complain about economic issues.

ftfy

Xtrema
07-06-2022, 09:53 AM
ftfy

Exactly. Trudeau can get another 5 year majority on abortion alone.

Thanks US Supreme Court.

Buster
07-06-2022, 09:56 AM
Exactly. Trudeau can get another 5 year majority on abortion alone.

Thanks US Supreme Court.

CPC has to come out strongly pro choice at this point...no alternative. And they have to do it pro-actively.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2022, 09:57 AM
CPC has to come out strongly pro choice at this point...no alternative. And they have to do it pro-actively.

CPC is absolutely going to fuck this up, dither, stay silent, let the fringe backbench rural morons be the loudest voices, and then Liberals win. That's my prediction. And they'll deserve the loss too.

Buster
07-06-2022, 10:00 AM
CPC is absolutely going to fuck this up, dither, stay silent, let the fringe backbench rural morons be the loudest voices, and then Liberals win. That's my prediction. And they'll deserve the loss too.

No they won't deserve the loss. Canadians of all stripes vote on social issues at the cost of economic prosperity.

killramos
07-06-2022, 10:03 AM

The only hope is rising debt servicing costs and Trudeau’s disastrous economic policies become too painful to ignore.

Could well shape up that way.

Buster
07-06-2022, 10:05 AM
The only hope is rising debt servicing costs and Trudeau’s disastrous economic policies become too painful to ignore.

Could well shape up that way.

thats some wishful thinking right there, as it assumes Canadians can attach poor economic policy to outcomes

killramos
07-06-2022, 10:08 AM
thats some wishful thinking right there, as it assumes Canadians can attach poor economic policy to outcomes

Assuming Canadians can sometimes think is a naïveté of mine

zechs
07-06-2022, 11:32 AM
How many of those voters were simply going out to protest vote due to covid restrictions and wouldnt have voted for anyone during a normal election? ... and what about during sheers run?

The liberals have pissed everyone off. Trudeau doubley so. If there was an election today, Scheer, O'Toole, or PP all would have a strong shot at winning. This is pretty much Canadian federal politics 101. Liberals inherit a country doing well, completely fuck it up with a million scandals to their name, cons come back in, rinse repeat.

With mandates on the horizon in the fall, the protest vote hasn't gone away.

JRSC00LUDE
07-06-2022, 11:37 AM
The liberals have pissed everyone off. Trudeau doubley so. If there was an election today, Scheer, O'Toole, or PP all would have a strong shot at winning. This is pretty much Canadian federal politics 101. Liberals inherit a country doing well, completely fuck it up with a million scandals to their name, cons come back in, rinse repeat.

With mandates on the horizon in the fall, the protest vote hasn't gone away.

Where do you see liberals mad at the liberals? I haven't cared to look myself, it is a genuine question.

Ca_Silvia13
07-06-2022, 11:37 AM

It what got the Libs booted for Harper back in the day. So it is possible. Ironically it was also surrounding the cost of the gun registry.

vengie
07-06-2022, 12:52 PM
As mentioned the CPC needs to do the following:
1) Elect PP as leader
2) Openly say the following
"Fellow Canadians, we are pro-choice, we are welcoming and cheer on the LGTBQ+++++ community and you can own a gun as long as you are following the laws and strict protocols in place"

The Liberals would collapse immediately.

killramos
07-06-2022, 01:01 PM
Liberals: “They are lying”

Canadians: “Hurrr Durrr ohkay”

Xtrema
07-06-2022, 02:06 PM
1) Elect PP as leader
"Fellow Canadians, we are pro-choice, we are welcoming and cheer on the LGTBQ+++++ community and you can own a gun as long as you are following the laws and strict protocols in place"

I don't see PP having the balls to say that. He ain't Harper.

Brent.ff
07-06-2022, 04:08 PM
1) Elect PP as leader

CPC should come out with having it a charter right as part of their platform..

ExtraSlow
07-07-2022, 08:05 AM
Jean Charest wrote an opinion piece in the national post.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jean-charest-conservatives-have-a-choice-opposition-or-government

zechs
07-07-2022, 08:39 AM
CPC should come out with having it a charter right as part of their platform..

Owning a gun? I completely agree

Buster
07-07-2022, 08:52 AM
1) Elect PP as leader

If conservative voters are akchewally interested in economic policy above all else, they should be willing to concede the gun rights issue in its entirety. I find it annoying that the pro lifers and the gun people cost me money by clinging to their pet issues.

Xtrema
07-07-2022, 09:21 AM
If conservative voters are akchewally interested in economic policy above all else, they should be willing to concede the gun rights issue in its entirety. I find it annoying that the pro lifers and the gun people cost me money by clinging to their pet issues.

This. So much this.

Marsh
07-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Aitchison is probably the candidate the Conservatives need the most to actually win, he's the most centrist. But as messed up as the party is (internal politics), its highly unlikely he'll win the leadership vote.

Buster
07-07-2022, 09:48 AM
Aitchison is probably the candidate the Conservatives need the most to actually win, he's the most centrist. But as messed up as the party is (internal politics), its highly unlikely he'll win the leadership vote.

There's good centrist (ie on social issues) and bad centrist (Red Tory). Which is he?

Xtrema
07-07-2022, 09:57 AM
There's good centrist (ie on social issues) and bad centrist (Red Tory). Which is he?

Unclear. But his wiki page seems promising without being polarized like PP or Charest.

Smells like another O'Toole tho.

littledan
07-07-2022, 12:00 PM
Charest is a clown. A liberal running for the conservative leadership. just LOL.

zechs
07-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Meanwhile, a June 7-13 Angus Reid poll found that more Canadians would support a Poilievre-led party than a Charest-led one, including those who lean Conservative (57-18 per cent), PPC (77-2 per cent) and Bloc Quebecois (17-12 per cent).

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-taube-sorry-red-tories-but-poilievre-is-the-one-reaffirming-conservative-values

Come on in Liberal voters, please tell me how Poilievre is the bad choice. Its almost like you don't get it.

Edit-
As for fiscal conservatism and socially progressive, it doesn't work. Woke policies are inherently based in wealth distribution. The closest socially progressive policy a conservative party should come to is libertarian, and even then, it should be more conservative than libertarian because a lot of people refuse to abide by the social contract required to participate in society.

ThePenIsMightier
07-07-2022, 07:06 PM

Provincially, Smith is running on mandatory dick snips because one time she got cheese mixed with her cheesy discharge.
Federally, whatever the guy you mentioned being horny for is also doing that...

But don't worry because the leader doesn't matter. Because Honda civic class and Execute Branch, etc

ZenOps
07-09-2022, 07:19 PM
I still think we need an Asian running an Accelerationist party.

European thinking is outdated when only left and right. Its like voting blue or red when what you really want is ice cream. 1 + 1 = magenta

Gman.45
07-09-2022, 08:39 PM

You can define anything as a pet issue. So far as firearms rights costing you money, if I didn't have a company with my name on the business license that has permits to have pretty much anything in its inventory for military/LE testing purposes, I'd be losing at least $100,000k, probably much more (double?) than that when I consider the optics/magazines/accessories that will be useless without the rifles to use them with. I'm one of the very lucky few that can transfer my newly prohibited property into such a company's inventory. I still can't use them other than at our testing facility/range, nor can I sell them. So their value is essentially gone. This doesn't even count handguns, which I've yet to calculate my loss, 25 .22 handguns alone (I collect, well used to now, older ones), and probably double that in 9/40/45/etc calibers. All of which I have now lost the ability to sell, trade, or hand down through inheritance.

"Pet issue" - is it a pet issue when you have several million gun owners, out of an eligible male population (less than 5% PAL holders are women I've been told by the firearms center in the past) of say 18 to 70 year old men, that's a significant chunk of the population. 15 million firearms owned in Canada at a minimum according to the RCMP. That makes it a little more than a pet issue, it's a serious issue, mainly due to the precedent being set over the seizure of property by executive action/decree.

I've lost nearly as much in the market recently, likely more, so I feel it in the financial sector as well, but I don't agree that the firearms political issue is somehow preventing the CPC from being elected, and being able to reverse insane liberal fiscal policies. I can't see a whole lot of middle ground voters deciding to come over to the CPC side because they suddenly say they agree with recent liberal actions on the firearms front. Such voters would never believe such a thing anyway, even if it happened to be true IMO.

I'm past caring about the abortion issue, but IMO the lines have been drawn on that forever, people are either for or against, frequently regardless of their political party affiliation, I know lots of CPC people who go both ways on this issue, yet still wouldn't be caught dead voting for the Liberals or NDP. I'm sure the same is true for Liberal and NDP party people, although the number of pro lifers there is likely much less. I still don't see how the CPC is going to gain votes by agreeing with recent liberal firearms politics, or saying they are pro choice. The CPC would lose a lot more votes by pro life voters being angry and staying home/not voting, than they could ever hope to gain from the middle ground voters. By far, again IMO.

Buster
07-09-2022, 10:36 PM
You can define anything as a pet issue. So far as firearms rights costing you money, if I didn't have a company with my name on the business license that has permits to have pretty much anything in its inventory for military/LE testing purposes, I'd be losing at least $100,000k, probably much more (double?) than that when I consider the optics/magazines/accessories that will be useless without the rifles to use them with. I'm one of the very lucky few that can transfer my newly prohibited property into such a company's inventory. I still can't use them other than at our testing facility/range, nor can I sell them. So their value is essentially gone. This doesn't even count handguns, which I've yet to calculate my loss, 25 .22 handguns alone (I collect, well used to now, older ones), and probably double that in 9/40/45/etc calibers. All of which I have now lost the ability to sell, trade, or hand down through inheritance.

"Pet issue" - is it a pet issue when you have several million gun owners, out of an eligible male population (less than 5% PAL holders are women I've been told by the firearms center in the past) of say 18 to 70 year old men, that's a significant chunk of the population. 15 million firearms owned in Canada at a minimum according to the RCMP. That makes it a little more than a pet issue, it's a serious issue, mainly due to the precedent being set over the seizure of property by executive action/decree.

I've lost nearly as much in the market recently, likely more, so I feel it in the financial sector as well, but I don't agree that the firearms political issue is somehow preventing the CPC from being elected, and being able to reverse insane liberal fiscal policies. I can't see a whole lot of middle ground voters deciding to come over to the CPC side because they suddenly say they agree with recent liberal actions on the firearms front. Such voters would never believe such a thing anyway, even if it happened to be true IMO.

I'm past caring about the abortion issue, but IMO the lines have been drawn on that forever, people are either for or against, frequently regardless of their political party affiliation, I know lots of CPC people who go both ways on this issue, yet still wouldn't be caught dead voting for the Liberals or NDP. I'm sure the same is true for Liberal and NDP party people, although the number of pro lifers there is likely much less. I still don't see how the CPC is going to gain votes by agreeing with recent liberal firearms politics, or saying they are pro choice. The CPC would lose a lot more votes by pro life voters being angry and staying home/not voting, than they could ever hope to gain from the middle ground voters. By far, again IMO.

Yeah it's a pet issue. Everything other than fiscal and economic policy is a pet issue. Maybe healthcare policy can be included.

suntan
07-10-2022, 09:39 AM
IPA drinkers should get no health care.

ExtraSlow
07-10-2022, 09:39 AM

Suntan for president

suntan
07-10-2022, 03:14 PM
I've been saying that for ages.

Gman.45
07-10-2022, 03:49 PM

Hey Stifler, how's the pale ale?

Misterman
07-11-2022, 08:24 PM

Well regardless of causes, economics is the one thing that generally instigates change here historically. And things are pretty economically bleak for most Liberal voters right now. Pretty hard to mental gymnastics your way around not being able to afford food and housing.

arcticcat522
07-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Well regardless of causes, economics is the one thing that generally instigates change here historically. And things are pretty economically bleak for most Liberal voters right now. Pretty hard to mental gymnastics your way around not being able to afford food and housing.

If anyone can find a way......

ZenOps
07-13-2022, 04:54 AM

I'd say the problem is conservative consumption. If you want to build skyscrapers and have tourism to the moon, its going to take a lot of energy.

Maybe its time for the Rise of Greta.

sabad66
07-13-2022, 11:45 AM
Well this is pretty surprising to me:
https://cultmtl.com/2022/07/liberal-32-conservative-28-ndp-21-leger-poll-federal-election-voting-intentions-canada/

I honestly thought PP would help the CPC but maybe there is some truth to the theory that he pushes away the moderate “red Tories”.

Buster
07-13-2022, 11:47 AM
Well this is pretty surprising to me:
https://cultmtl.com/2022/07/liberal-32-conservative-28-ndp-21-leger-poll-federal-election-voting-intentions-canada/

I honestly thought PP would help the CPC but maybe there is some truth to the theory that he pushes away the moderate “red Tories”.

Red Tories are the worst.

ExtraSlow
07-13-2022, 11:56 AM
Anyone who links to vote-count polls should be shot. Those are always useless, because that's not how governments are formed here.

At least take the time to read 338 or one of the seat projections.
CPC is ahead in seats, albeit it's a slim margin.
https://338canada.com/

Buster
07-13-2022, 11:57 AM
Anyone who links to vote-count polls should be shot. Those are always useless, because that's not how governments are formed here.

At least take the time to read 338 or one of the seat projections.
CPC is ahead in seats, albeit it's a slim margin.
https://338canada.com/

conversative parties are often ahead mid-term. Then the half retarded Canadian voters get cold feet closer to elections.

max_boost
07-13-2022, 12:10 PM

Suntan for president

lol why is that haha I had a couple at Stampede they were tasty good and deceptively strong. Got a good buzz after a couple

PP for PM!!

Xtrema
07-13-2022, 12:21 PM
conversative parties are often ahead mid-term. Then the half retarded Canadian voters get cold feet closer to elections.

And Trudeau approval rating were both under 35% and he won both election with minority gov. We are still hovering 40% approval rating for Trudeau.

If PP wants to win, he better hope for harsh recession to take hold until next election.

Yolobimmer
07-13-2022, 04:57 PM
And Trudeau approval rating were both under 35% and he won both election with minority gov. We are still hovering 40% approval rating for Trudeau.

If PP wants to win, he better hope for harsh recession to take hold until next election.

Economy is booming, jobless rate at lowest level of Canadian history.

They feel they need to cool the economy on purpose.

Xtrema
07-13-2022, 05:40 PM
Pending/already here recession

More than 80 per cent of Canadian respondents said they believe prices will keep going up, and 59 per cent say they think Canada is in an economic recession

Unemployment rate

Canada's labour force shrank in June, largely due to people age 55 and older leaving the labour force.

Hence my comment that Gen-X are mostly done with shit and starting to leave the labor force and the following gens are not as good/productive as Gen-X.

Yolobimmer
07-13-2022, 05:49 PM
Pending/already here recession

Unemployment rate

Hence my comment that Gen-X are mostly done with shit and starting to leave the labor force and the following gens are not as good/productive as Gen-X.

Beliefs are molded by 24/7 "inflation will kill us" fakenews coverege. "Beliefs" are irrelevant. People believed the vaccine was magnetic.

People spending $10 per game and per beer at the stampede by the hundreds of thousands is evidence it is NOT an issue.

Average net worth of person in Canada over 55 is $800,000. They don't have to work for work for $15 an hour. Why is that a problem? Retiring early is a sign of a affluent society, and again, great economy. If I could retire, I certainly would.

ExtraSlow
07-13-2022, 05:51 PM
People over 55 leaving the labor force is a net positive for anyone by the owners of those businesses. Those of us under 5p benefit hugely.

zechs
07-13-2022, 06:43 PM
The real problem with employment is its way in favour of government employment growth over private. Its that little detail they keep leaving out of the numbers.

This recession is going to hit haaaaaaard when the gov does layoffs.

killramos
07-13-2022, 06:48 PM
Government is a cancer

dirtsniffer
07-13-2022, 07:45 PM
government does layoffs hahahaha oh my shit.

Misterman
07-13-2022, 07:47 PM

Full 1% interest rate hike today should put us well on the way.

Xtrema
07-13-2022, 11:09 PM
Full 1% interest rate hike today should put us well on the way.

Not going to lie we are going to hit that sooner or later but it is sooner than I thought. They have another percent to go then people will start to lose their homes.