PDA

View Full Version : Furnace inducer motor question.

benyl
05-23-2022, 03:33 PM
Lennox 80UGH3/4-120A-3. 22ish years old. Furnace hasn't been firing.

First time, I though it was flame sensor. I cleaned it. Ran for a while.

Next time, I was checking to see if the inducer was seized and spun it manually. Fired up fine for a couple of days.

This time, the only thing that would make it go was giggling the wires to the inducer. It goes into Watchguard mode otherwise. The furnace will start to spin up and I saw sparks in the red circle location. When there is a connection, the inducer spins fine. Seem like it is shorting out.

Do I have to replace the whole thing, or can you service an inducer assembly?

mr2mike
05-23-2022, 04:43 PM
What's loose? The connector? Causing an arc or you think it's the wire connection in the clear plastic?

You could try dialectric grease. Auto Value has small tubes
Which ensures a better connection.

If the arc is in the white plastic area and the connector is broken a bit in there, this won't fix that.

Look for a parts diagram based on model # and see what parts they sell. That would indicate if you need to replace the whole part or not.

Darell_n
05-23-2022, 05:09 PM
Can you pull the connector off easily with just a tug on the wire? I’ve seen the electrical crimp connector misaligned a few times with ‘male-beside-female’ instead of ‘male-inside-female’, if that makes sense. (I’m sure Ask Leo can clarify.) Happens occasionally with insulated Sta-Kon crimp connections.

If the broken wire is inside the motor coil I would just replace the inducer motor, not worth the headache dicking with it.

90_Shelby
05-23-2022, 06:13 PM
I’m just surprised you’re using the old furnace in your new build…. I guess you gotta save where you can with all of these cost escalations!

killramos
05-23-2022, 06:33 PM
Can’t buy HVAC like old HVAC.

Anyone and their dog can buy a new furnace. Buying a house just to get the old furnace that actually works at 80% efficiency is the true baller choice.

benyl
05-23-2022, 09:40 PM
Can you pull the connector off easily with just a tug on the wire? I’ve seen the electrical crimp connector misaligned a few times with ‘male-beside-female’ instead of ‘male-inside-female’, if that makes sense. (I’m sure Ask Leo can clarify.) Happens occasionally with insulated Sta-Kon crimp connections.

If the broken wire is inside the motor coil I would just replace the inducer motor, not worth the headache dicking with it.

The arc is happening after the male who identifies as female connector. The black wire with the pink connector is working fine. The arc is revealing itself in the white plastic beyond the connector.

I'll just find an assembly. Where's the cheapest place in town?

I’m just surprised you’re using the old furnace in your new build…. I guess you gotta save where you can with all of these cost escalations!

This is at the MIL's place.

Darell_n
05-24-2022, 04:03 AM
The arc is happening after the male who identifies as female connector. The black wire with the pink connector is working fine. The arc is revealing itself in the white plastic beyond the connector.

I'll just find an assembly. Where's the cheapest place in town?

This is at the MIL's place.

I’d check with Soper’s Supply or Amre Supply for cash sales.

benyl
05-24-2022, 11:01 PM
And we have ignition!

Thanks Darell