PDA

View Full Version : "Higher quality" kitchen faucet?

ExtraSlow
05-26-2022, 07:27 PM
My struggles with the seeming lack of correlation between price and quality had been well documented on this forum.
Now I'm looking at a new kitchen faucet, and wondering if there's any appreciable benefit to spending more than $200 on one from Moen or Delta. Don't want any touch free or "fancy" features, just want something well built, reliable, functional.

G-ZUS
05-26-2022, 07:28 PM
My struggles with the seeming lack of correlation between price and quality had been well documented on this forum.
Now I'm looking at a new kitchen faucet, and wondering if there's any appreciable benefit to spending more than $200 on one from Moen or Delta. Don't want any touch free or "fancy" features, just want something well built, reliable, functional.

You can usually find moen or delta on clearance at lowes rona etc

killramos
05-26-2022, 07:31 PM
Apparently Moen has a higher end lineup that is quite good quality.

I don’t have anything more to add. But that came from discussions I had with people who just did some high end Reno’s, I was surprised to see the Moen boxes and that is what they told me.

dirtsniffer
05-26-2022, 07:37 PM
I've had issues with moen and the service has been good

ExtraSlow
05-26-2022, 07:49 PM
Apparently Moen has a higher end lineup that is quite good quality.

I don’t have anything more to add. But that came from discussions I had with people who just did some high end Reno’s, I was surprised to see the Moen boxes and that is what they told me.

How do you tell them apart? Probably have to buy at Plumbateria not home depot then?

killramos
05-26-2022, 07:57 PM
I would guess price tag is a good start?

But I agree I don’t really understand it.

They were perhaps full of shit

ThePenIsMightier
05-26-2022, 08:04 PM
Moen has a great warranty but so do Canadian Tire car batteries, and the similarity is that your very likely going to need that warranty. That's irritating.
I find Delta to be a higher quality kitchen faucet than Moen.

suntan
05-26-2022, 08:09 PM
You could check this.

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm

Darkane
05-26-2022, 08:29 PM
Well, this depends.

Is quality the build, the finish, and the gap between the fittings? Or is it the amount it breaks down?

msommers
05-26-2022, 09:57 PM
You have to typically go to plumbing stores to get nicer equipment and talk to people who know their shit. The lines they sell at HD et al. from Delta or Moen, are low to mid tier. Like anything, more metal less plastic is key

benyl
05-26-2022, 10:04 PM
The more expensive faucets have a different flow and splash less. Going from super cheap Moen in the temp house to the new faucets is a noticeable difference. Is it good value? probably not.

We have a pair of Brizo touch faucets on the island
https://www.brizofaucet.ca/kitchen/product/64054LF-SS
https://media.brizo.com/elvis/OnWhite/md/64054LF-SS-B1.png

and then a Hansgrohe Aqano Select in the pantry.

https://www.hansgrohe.ca/en/articledetail-aquno-select-higharc-kitchen-faucet-3-spray-pull-down-1-75-gpm-73837001
https://assets.hansgrohe.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/154__hpr02326_tif.png?format=HBW24

ThePenIsMightier
05-26-2022, 10:06 PM
^That's a great way of saying it wrt VALUE.
Like cars, it's NOT linear! Want 2x better? Pay 8x more...

benyl
05-26-2022, 10:10 PM
Island:

Pantry.

With the laminar flow veggie washing rinse going. It truly doesn’t splash. I don’t know if there is more air in the water or what the deal is.

suntan
05-26-2022, 10:11 PM
Brizo is the high end Delta brand.

ExtraSlow
05-26-2022, 10:22 PM
How much is that brizio faucet, for example?

benyl
05-26-2022, 10:39 PM
Yes, all the internal hardware is Delta. No different than a Lexus or Audi.

The Brizo are Stainless which adds 40% to the base cost, then add touch option.

Those faucets were $1200 each. I see online , they are pushing $1400 now.

If you get it in Chrome without touch, they are $500ish which gets the same flow. Touch is worth the upcharge. The stainless is pure cosmetics and not worth it.

bjstare
05-27-2022, 07:00 AM
I think you might want to look at grohe as well (different than hansgrohe I believe). It’s what we went with. Solid quality, happy medium on the value/price spectrum.

Delta is garbage, previous owners put delta stuff in the master bath and it’s all failing.

killramos
05-27-2022, 07:12 AM
+1 that the only fixture I have ever had fail was a delta

90_Shelby
05-27-2022, 07:20 AM
We used these guys for all of our faucets, fixtures and toilets, they’re out of BC.

https://www.sustainablesolutions.com/products/kitchen-faucets?brand=49

suntan
05-27-2022, 07:31 AM
I think you might want to look at grohe as well (different than hansgrohe I believe). It’s what we went with. Solid quality, happy medium on the value/price spectrum.

Delta is garbage, previous owners put delta stuff in the master bath and it’s all failing.

Unfortunately Grohe went full Mexico/China in the last couple of years.

bjstare
05-27-2022, 08:15 AM

Good to know.

benyl
05-27-2022, 08:56 AM

Yeah, the builder and the plumber both talked us out of Grohe due to the issues they have been having with them for the last few years.

R-Audi
05-27-2022, 09:03 AM
Also worth checking out the warranty... we moved into an older house and Grohe honored the warranty for the shower temperature and flow cartridges.(For two showers) Sent them a few emails and had all the parts sent out for free a few weeks later.

suntan
05-27-2022, 09:16 AM
Yeah it's really too bad about Grohe. We used it for our bathroom reno and everything was made in Germany IIRC.

Inzane
05-27-2022, 10:20 AM
Well, this depends.

Is quality the build, the finish, and the gap between the fittings? Or is it the amount it breaks down?

Haha… this is exactly the point I was going for in the consumer reports thread.

ThePenIsMightier
05-27-2022, 11:24 AM
Well, this depends.

Under appreciated post!
Will Rep later

G-ZUS
05-27-2022, 11:37 AM
Delta can suck it, been having problems with my kitchen faucet. They used every excuse in the book to deny warranty then finally escalated my complaint and the part i need is "backordered". Been 6 months now.

JRSC00LUDE
05-27-2022, 12:06 PM
I don't know. I had a high end (cost-wise) Blanco kitchen faucet. After 10 years something in the pullout spray head stopped working right, called their customer service and they send a new one that week. So I have expensive Kohler and Blanco taps everywhere now.

suntan
05-27-2022, 01:07 PM
In terms of quality Kohler fixtures are overrated. But they make really good toilets, even the cheapies at HD are very good.

JRSC00LUDE
05-27-2022, 01:22 PM
In terms of quality Kohler fixtures are overrated. But they make really good toilets, even the cheapies at HD are very good.

I don't know. Other than a rare cartridge failure, do they ever break?

suntan
05-27-2022, 01:28 PM
I don't know. Other than a rare cartridge failure, do they ever break?

No they're pretty reliable. But it terms of installation, finish and $/value, there's better.

They make some insanely expensive stuff if you go to the fancy bath places.

Darkane
05-27-2022, 03:22 PM
Under appreciated post!
Will Rep later

#hatbrimtip

sabad66
05-28-2022, 05:36 PM
Good timing for this thread as mine has sprung an annoying leak in the hose and I don’t have receipts or model number to bother with moen warranty.

Looking at these two:

How useful is the waving feature? Is it one of those things that you’ll never go back to not having after using it? Also looks like it takes 6 AA batteries… any idea how long those last ones average? I don’t want to be under my sink frequently… I can live with 2-3 times a year but any more than that I know I’ll be annoyed

benyl
05-28-2022, 05:45 PM
It's like having a proximity key for your car where you just keep the key in your pocket. Can you imaging having to actually put a key in the door and turning it to unlock the car to get in?

killramos
05-28-2022, 05:57 PM
Sounds really useful for people who never change the temperature of the water they want out of a faucet lol

ThePenIsMightier
05-28-2022, 06:37 PM
sabad66 the batteries last >1 year.

schurchill39
05-31-2022, 03:23 PM
How useful is the waving feature? Is it one of those things that you’ll never go back to not having after using it?

I just installed one of the upper end Moens with it and I actually use it WAY more than I thought I would. Its pretty useful when you're washing your hands as you're preparing food or they are covered in oil or grease and you don't want to touch anything. Now if I could just convince my wife that there is a temperature you can leave the faucet at between artic sea and lava it would be more useful.

ThePenIsMightier
05-31-2022, 03:44 PM
There is a Kohler touchless unit on sale this month at Costco for only $200
That seems like a smokin deal. I'm pretty sure my Moen was like $450!

sabad66
05-31-2022, 04:35 PM
That is a pretty sweet deal. I was sold on that one after you confirmed the batteries last over a year, so good thing I procrastinated and didn’t buy it last sunday.

Darkane
05-31-2022, 06:02 PM
Under appreciated post!
Will Rep later

Cheers

jacky4566
06-02-2022, 07:07 AM
Laminar flow is pretty dope. My parents have one and it's nice to have. Quieter and fills water cups faster.

bjstare
06-02-2022, 11:58 AM
Laminar flow is pretty dope. My parents have one and it's nice to have. Quieter and fills water cups faster.

This was one of our requirements. I wouldn't buy a faucet that didn't have this.

Xtrema
06-02-2022, 11:58 AM
I've had issues with moen and the service has been good

This

suntan
06-02-2022, 02:24 PM

Just LOL at drinking water from a tap.

ThePenIsMightier
05-21-2023, 11:27 AM
That is a pretty sweet deal. I was sold on that one after you confirmed the batteries last over a year, so good thing I procrastinated and didn’t buy it last sunday.

LoL I learned how to search better and found your post from almost a year ago!
I just replaced my batteries (six AA) and I had written the date on them like was if I was smart. I apparently got almost 3 years out of them!

sabad66
12-30-2023, 11:26 PM
LoL I learned how to search better and found your post from almost a year ago!
I just replaced my batteries (six AA) and I had written the date on them like was if I was smart. I apparently got almost 3 years out of them!

Just changed mine today for the first time since I installed mine around June 2022. So approx 1.5 years for me. They were the standard Duracells that came in the box. What batteries were you running to get 3 years out of it??

ThePenIsMightier
12-31-2023, 12:16 AM
Just changed mine today for the first time since I installed mine around June 2022. So approx 1.5 years for me. They were the standard Duracells that came in the box. What batteries were you running to get 3 years out of it??

I swore a religious thing that I want to guess is called an Al Faatwa against Duracell several years ago because their fucking garbage leaks and destroys vital, expensive things, far far far too often. Now I'm an Energizer man. Home Depot sells 36 of these AA whores for a cool 20-spot, all day, urrvry day!

Overall, I'm a firm believer that it's been proven that the actual hours of usage are DIRECTLY proportional with the cost, so that's a wash whether one chooses an off brand like HDX or Kirkland vs a major brand.
But yes, that's my experience with Energizer in my house. I will guarantee our usages are different but keeping the eyes on the prize, replacing them every 3 months is obviously not in the cards and that's the major win.