PDA

View Full Version : Trudeau Effectively Decriminalizes Drugs in BC

Pages : [1] 2

zechs
05-31-2022, 02:41 PM
https://www.axios.com/2022/05/31/canada-illegal-drugs-british-columbia-overdoses

Didn't work with weed (black market is as strong as ever and the govs are making not even enough money to support the infrastructure to regulate the industry), won't work in BC.

The only way to get these people INTO the system is by governmental force. By not doing that, there is zero chance of rehab, but 100% a chance of our tax dollars being spent on initiatives that don't work.

#albertaseparation as fast as we can

suntan
05-31-2022, 02:42 PM
Maybe they can all die over there and Alberta can take over the land.

Buster
05-31-2022, 02:53 PM
I dont have an issue with this. Drug enforcement is a waste of resources.

Sentry
05-31-2022, 03:04 PM
Shambhalas gonna be lit this year

killramos
05-31-2022, 03:04 PM
I love how all of BC is a safe injection site now. L

Fitting

jutes
05-31-2022, 03:05 PM

Agreed. Let the Police focus on real issues.

An influx of druggies into BC from the prairie regions is a win-win. Can we subsidize one-way bus tickets into the Okanagan/GVA?

zechs
05-31-2022, 03:22 PM

As stated, it was the only method available to force people to deal with themselves.

This won't lower police issues. The funding will still be there one way or another.

Xtrema
05-31-2022, 03:28 PM
That's one way to tackle overpriced housing? Let's turn the whole province into E Hasting.

killramos
05-31-2022, 03:29 PM
Should have only made it on the island, and put in PEI style free tickets to the island but pay to come back.

Problem solved

ExtraSlow
05-31-2022, 03:33 PM

I'm totally on board with this.

killramos
05-31-2022, 03:35 PM
I’ve always seen drug crimes as a nice catch all way to put people who are a nuisance to society behind bars away from Productive members of society.

Too bad LE have lost that tool in their toolbox.

ExtraSlow
05-31-2022, 03:37 PM
If that was the goal of those laws, then it has been spectacularly ineffective.
If the goal was to help cure the additions, it's been spectacularly ineffective.

I'd say in general, drug laws have been spectacularly ineffective for EVERY stated goal.

Kloubek
05-31-2022, 03:46 PM
It's snowing in BC.

killramos
05-31-2022, 03:47 PM
If that was the goal of those laws, then it has been spectacularly ineffective.
If the goal was to help cure the additions, it's been spectacularly ineffective.

I'd say in general, drug laws have been spectacularly ineffective for EVERY stated goal.

I guess we will see if things get worse or better.

I highly doubt they are getting better.

ExtraSlow
05-31-2022, 03:52 PM
Fuck my spelling is atrocious.

JRSC00LUDE
05-31-2022, 03:55 PM

100%.

redline
05-31-2022, 04:02 PM
how does trudope do anything on a provincial level?

drug enforcement is a waste...

on weed you need to price the criminals out of the market. you can have a legal market twice the price as it is on street...

killramos
05-31-2022, 04:06 PM
He approved Horgans request to make the entire province a safe injection site.

Any adult in the room would have said no. But not Justin.

He didn’t have the balls to just actually decriminalize drugs. He had to do it like the snake he is.

ThePenIsMightier
05-31-2022, 04:25 PM
Fuck my spelling is atrocious.

I don't want to pick which one...

g-m
05-31-2022, 04:47 PM
Good, this should be national policy. I hate to give any credit to that BC government but credit where it's due.

Buster
05-31-2022, 04:48 PM
how does trudope do anything on a provincial level?

drug enforcement is a waste...

on weed you need to price the criminals out of the market. you can have a legal market twice the price as it is on street...

Imma let you re-read your post again so you can see why it makes no sense.

littledan
05-31-2022, 04:58 PM
I dont understand how decriminalizing possession is going to do anything to reduce the current epidemic.

g-m
05-31-2022, 05:00 PM
It might not but I think it's also good to look and see what's not been working for the last 50 years and maybe try something different. There's all that court time, police time, prison time, all that shit is really expensive. Maybe they can use some of that money on programs instead, it honestly can't be worse and more expensive than the past 50 years.

And it's never stopped anyone from doing any drugs they wanted

tirebob
05-31-2022, 05:03 PM
I have never understood why taking drugs is criminal... If you start breaking into shit and stealing to pay for your drugs, now you are a criminal, but simply fucking with your own body makes you a criminal? That's just silly.

killramos
05-31-2022, 05:07 PM
It might not but I think it's also good to look and see what's not been working for the last 50 years and maybe try something different. There's all that court time, police time, prison time, all that shit is really expensive. Maybe they can use some of that money on programs instead, it honestly can't be worse and more expensive than the past 50 years.

And it's never stopped anyone from doing any drugs they wanted

The Horgan philosophy seems to be working wonders

g-m
05-31-2022, 05:10 PM
Looks like enforcement has been working

Buster
05-31-2022, 05:11 PM

The Horgan philosophy seems to be working wonders

haha, look at 2020 and 2021...wonder what happened there?

killramos
05-31-2022, 05:42 PM
haha, look at 2020 and 2021...wonder what happened there?

Free gibs

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn’t call the Horgan governments approach enforcement lol.

I have to hand it to him. He’s really taken the let junkies die concept and gone pro

sabad66
05-31-2022, 05:48 PM
I’m more curious what would have caused the drop from 18 to 19? Was that a good year for the BC economy?

I feel like when people are gainfully employed, they tend to stay away from junkie drugs.

ExtraSlow
05-31-2022, 05:49 PM
Most of bc is a scenic shit hole.

finboy
05-31-2022, 06:53 PM
Legalize drugs, drastically ramp up enforcement and sentences on junkie related activity (like stealing catalytic converters, bikes, car prowling)

Buster
05-31-2022, 07:03 PM
Legalize drugs, drastically ramp up enforcement and sentences on junkie related activity (like stealing catalytic converters, bikes, car prowling)

Stop treating overdoses

killramos
05-31-2022, 08:00 PM
Stop treating overdoses

Stop. I can only get so erect

Yolobimmer
05-31-2022, 08:41 PM
Personally I'd got the president Duterte route. It's working awesome there.

zechs
05-31-2022, 10:45 PM
Stop. I can only get so erect

Hey that's my line. Don't make me fight you over erections

finboy
05-31-2022, 10:51 PM
Stop treating overdoses

I don’t think you’ll get a lot of pushback on beyond, then again could be bipartisan and lead with “er’s will no longer treat those afraid of needles or those who are super enthusiastic about them”

vengie
05-31-2022, 10:58 PM
Stop treating overdoses

Of note, buddy of mine on the fire department. They have "regulars" that call 911 and say they are going to overdose.
They effectively die, get revived and repeat the following week.
On a four day shift they will respond to ~20-30 overdoses.

Current protocol is full fire engine and four firefighter response + dose of Narcan + EMS to hospital.

1 persons overdose costs tax payers ~$5000+ in responders.

Buster
06-01-2022, 01:22 AM
Of note, buddy of mine on the fire department. They have "regulars" that call 911 and say they are going to overdose.
They effectively die, get revived and repeat the following week.
On a four day shift they will respond to ~20-30 overdoses.

Current protocol is full fire engine and four firefighter response + dose of Narcan + EMS to hospital.

Canadians are more retarded than the ODer

davidI
06-01-2022, 01:28 AM
I dont understand how decriminalizing possession is going to do anything to reduce the current epidemic.

https://substanceabusepolicy.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13011-021-00394-7

It seems to have worked for Portugal.

I'm all for trying something different. Doubling down on the same policies over and over for the last 50 years hasn't exactly been effective...

finboy
06-01-2022, 06:20 AM
https://substanceabusepolicy.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13011-021-00394-7

I'm all for trying something different. Doubling down on the same policies over and over for the last 50 years hasn't exactly been effective...

Michael shellenberg (running for governor of cali) has done some exploration on the why Europe’s decriminalization model works, and why America has a misunderstanding of it. From his view, doing drugs in public would still be illegal, and judges would give the user a choice of rehab or jail. Much more of a carrot and stick vs. “Just let them live their lives if plain sight”

https://youtu.be/LH0LBPfRjIs

mr2mike
06-01-2022, 07:09 AM
I don't want to pick which one...

Not a Donna fan. More about Brandon? Keep it Canadian.

killramos
06-01-2022, 07:12 AM

Depends what you consider the goal to be

ThePenIsMightier
06-01-2022, 07:41 AM
Not a Donna fan. More about Brandon? Keep it Canadian.

It's a "fuck my Spelling" joke.

Gman.45
06-01-2022, 05:18 PM
I agree with some of you, that the war on drugs has been a massive failure and waste of $, and that decriminalizing users and their drugs is probably the only course of action now. My father was both RCMP and city police for 35 years, and I hate it when this subject comes up, because he goes on 30 minute rants on what a waste of resources it is using L/E to try and stop drug users. He's all in favor of complete decrim for non distribution level amounts of drugs - and goes so far as to say that the gov/pharmacies should begin supplying addicts with the products, even cocaine/opioids/meth/etc, as nothing else would stand a good chance to kill organized crime faster than removing their number 1 resource from the playing field.

One thing I don't understand - how can drugs be decriminalized federally in only one Province? I mean what is going to happen when someone next door in Alberta gets pinched with a gram of cocaine, and points out in court that is probably against his charter rights that his possession charge wouldn't exist in BC. I just don't get it, how one Province can FEDERALLY have its drug schedule laws and enforcements change, yet the other Provinces don't. I would understand if narcotics laws were Provincial, but they aren't, that's a Federal charge/rap if you get charged with narcotics possession, isn't it? I hope one of the lawyers here knows wtf is going on here.

AndyL
06-01-2022, 06:50 PM
I don't get the purpose.

Bc prosecution service won't charge anyone if they're mentally ill / on drugs. So... What change does this make?

I don't get the point of any of this anymore. Politics is stupid.

killramos
06-01-2022, 07:03 PM
As always it’s an excuse to spend money on niche political Issues.

max_boost
06-01-2022, 07:28 PM
gonna be some good parties in bc

AndyL
06-01-2022, 09:06 PM

Omg I laughed at this.

davidI
06-02-2022, 12:45 AM
One thing I don't understand - how can drugs be decriminalized federally in only one Province? I mean what is going to happen when someone next door in Alberta gets pinched with a gram of cocaine, and points out in court that is probably against his charter rights that his possession charge wouldn't exist in BC. I just don't get it, how one Province can FEDERALLY have its drug schedule laws and enforcements change, yet the other Provinces don't. I would understand if narcotics laws were Provincial, but they aren't, that's a Federal charge/rap if you get charged with narcotics possession, isn't it? I hope one of the lawyers here knows wtf is going on here.

I haven't looked into it enough to be sure but alcohol and cannabis laws also vary by province so I'd assume under the same legal mechanisms as those "drugs".

killramos
06-02-2022, 06:19 AM
The laws don’t vary by province. The drugs are still criminal everywhere.

BC is just one big safe injection site which has a listed exemption in the health act. Same as how doctors can prescribe fent in a hospital.

flipstah
06-02-2022, 08:44 AM
Does that mean any drug charges in BC are reversed?

killramos
06-02-2022, 08:52 AM
Does that mean any drug charges in BC are reversed?

Why would they be. If you broke the law yesterday you still broke the law.

Contrary to popular belief nothing has actually been decriminalized.

It also doesn’t apply to psychedelics if anyone was wondering. This is basically an opioid only thing.

Anomaly
06-02-2022, 09:57 AM
The laws don’t vary by province. The drugs are still criminal everywhere.

BC is just one big safe injection site which has a listed exemption in the health act. Same as how doctors can prescribe fent in a hospital.

So what I'm hearing, the solution to Alberta's opioid epidemic is free bus rides to the island.... I like it

max_boost
06-02-2022, 10:28 AM
Wait so how does this law work. Does it only apply if you look like a druggie in east Hastings.

suntan
06-02-2022, 10:40 AM
So basically every druggie is going to flock to BC.

redline
06-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Wait so how does this law work. Does it only apply if you look like a druggie in east Hastings.

if you have a small amount of drugs no ticket, no jail, keep your drugs... large amount of drugs go to jail....

this is good law... focus on criminals and not people with bad habits. it is not going to make a junkie go rob someone to score some drugs cause the cops took your stash.

the war on drugs is a complete failure...

redline
06-02-2022, 10:45 AM
So what I'm hearing, the solution to Alberta's opioid epidemic is free bus rides to the island.... I like it

so who is going to work in the oilfield?

- - - Updated - - -

So basically every druggie is going to flock to BC.
this will be all across canada in a couple of years.

Type_S1
06-02-2022, 10:59 AM
The logic behind laws in Canada is always interesting. Based on how these things are handled:

Drugs - the seller of the product is the problem, not the product or buyers

Guns - the product is the problem, not the sellers or buyers

Prostitution - the buyers of the product are the problem, not the product or sellers

max_boost
06-02-2022, 11:26 AM
if you have a small amount of drugs no ticket, no jail, keep your drugs... large amount of drugs go to jail....

this is good law... focus on criminals and not people with bad habits. it is not going to make a junkie go rob someone to score some drugs cause the cops took your stash.

the war on drugs is a complete failure...

I don't disagree at all. Addiction is a complex issue.

vengie
06-02-2022, 11:54 AM

I disagree with you.
Not all junkies are criminals, but most commit petty crime to support their habit.

By all means decriminalize drugs, but if said junky is robbing someone, or stealing, then punish them severely.

Buster
06-02-2022, 12:17 PM
I don't disagree at all. Addiction is a complex issue.

is it though?

redline
06-02-2022, 12:23 PM
I disagree with you.
Not all junkies are criminals, but most commit petty crime to support their habit.

By all means decriminalize drugs, but if said junky is robbing someone, or stealing, then punish them severely.

you miss understood what i was saying...

if your a junkie (criminal or not) if i cop takes your stash and now you are freaking to get your fix...they more then like just made you a criminal cause you are going to do something extra stupid to get your fix.

and by criminal , i am focusing on the people importing and dealing etc...

- - - Updated - - -

is it though?

it is not a complex problem like masking or women's bodies but pretty complex

Buster
06-02-2022, 12:26 PM
it is not a complex problem like masking or women's bodies but pretty complex

For who? I never see junkies and they don't cause any problems for me.

JRSC00LUDE
06-02-2022, 12:50 PM

Clearly we pay them too much.

zechs
06-02-2022, 12:54 PM
This thread has highlighted to me once again, liberals do not understand basic economics like supply and demand.

Also, the cops are not spending resources on petty drug crime that hinders gang and drug distribution investigation.

The two subjects are unrelated

ExtraSlow
06-02-2022, 01:12 PM
The logic behind laws in Canada is always interesting. Based on how these things are handled:

Drugs - the seller of the product is the problem, not the product or buyers

Guns - the product is the problem, not the sellers or buyers

Prostitution - the buyers of the product are the problem, not the product or sellers

It's wildly inconsistent how these different things are handled. There's a lot of politics and history behind each one, but I'd hope we are converging on an intellectually consistent approach.

suntan
06-02-2022, 01:53 PM
Politicians and intellect are mutually exclusive.

Type_S1
06-02-2022, 02:03 PM
It's wildly inconsistent how these different things are handled. There's a lot of politics and history behind each one, but I'd hope we are converging on an intellectually consistent approach.

Agreed, unfortunately with leftist and populism politics, combined with woke-ism, intellectually sound decision making and consistency are no longer existent.

Maybe old Trudeau is on to something here. Next step is to hand out free product leading to overdoses which solves the junkie problem. I walked down east Hastings last month to see how bad the situation is and all I can say is that I’ve seen more civilized and clean areas in 3rd world shanty towns. Not as bad as some of the west coast US shit-holes, but getting there.

Misterman
06-04-2022, 09:26 AM
I’ve always seen drug crimes as a nice catch all way to put people who are a nuisance to society behind bars away from Productive members of society.

Too bad LE have lost that tool in their toolbox.

Reality of the matter is that they just clog up the court system, and they don't spend any meaningful time behind bars. Much more efficient to let police deal with the crime aspect of drug users, and leave the non criminal drug users alone. I have no interest in my tax dollars being wasted on hassling homeless people downtown if they aren't fucking with any of my property.

I don't know about this "safe injection" nonsense though. It's not like a bunch of people are going to just up and start shooting heroin now that it's technically legal. But there needs to be some deterrent to homeless dregs leaving used needles in parks and shit. Maybe if it's legal there will be more availability for safe disposal now?

Stop treating overdoses

If someone starts a BanNarcan hashtag, I'll hop squarely onto that bandwagon.

as nothing else would stand a good chance to kill organized crime faster than removing their number 1 resource from the playing field.

So there ARE people who actually believe the government wants to shut down organized crime? Wow, I thought that was just some silly talking point we all laughed about inside when someone says it.

so who is going to work in the oilfield?

I'd guess it would be all of us same drug free people that have been running this place for years. :dunno:

Oh right, you're the half closeted socialist that doesn't even know what the oilfield is. "So you work the rigs, right?" :facepalm:

suntan
06-04-2022, 09:31 AM
Please bitch the drug users are in the downtown offices.

OTown
06-04-2022, 10:20 AM

Thats the point. There has been no enforcement for simple possession for close to a decade. The cops arent arresting people with small amounts of drugs. If they do, the courts throw out the cases. These are vastly symbolic moves.

Just shows this hands off approach is doing nothing but making the issue worse.

If you want to decriminalize it, then you need to have some way to force people into some sort of safe-house or treatment system. At least the cops in the past could catch a user and keep them semi-accountable through an arrest, jail, an opportunity to sober up, etc. But right now there are no such powers, and its a revolving door and huge waste of emergency services, that ultimately ends with record amounts of ODs.

killramos
06-04-2022, 10:28 AM
New concept. Free drugs in jail.

Let the junkies do their thing away from productive members of society.

Buster
06-04-2022, 10:40 AM
New concept. Free drugs in jail.

Let the junkies do their thing away from productive members of society.

This may not incent the behaviour we would like.

zechs
06-04-2022, 11:02 AM
Thats the point. There has been no enforcement for simple possession for close to a decade. The cops arent arresting people with small amounts of drugs. If they do, the courts throw out the cases. These are vastly symbolic moves.

If you want to decriminalize it, then you need to have some way to force people into some sort of safe-house or treatment system. At least the cops in the past could catch a user and keep them semi-accountable through an arrest, jail, an opportunity to sober up, etc. But right now there are no such powers, and its a revolving door and huge waste of emergency services, that ultimately ends with record amounts of ODs.

100%. And Canada will never enact such laws at it "violates the rights" of the drug users. Same reason mental health hospitals and residential facilities were done away with, because it violated handicapped people's rights. This is the reason there is such a large homeless population in Alberta now but I digress.

killramos
06-04-2022, 11:17 AM
This may not incent the behaviour we would like.

That’s fine.

In the grand scheme of things my tax dollars are spent on. Keeping degenerates away from me is something I can wrap my head around.

More prisons. More prisoners.

Buster
06-04-2022, 11:22 AM
That’s fine.

In the grand scheme of things my tax dollars are spent on. Keeping degenerates away from me is something I can wrap my head around.

im talking about the increase in crime

Misterman
06-04-2022, 11:27 AM

I guess we need to define the "issue". It's not the amount of OD's I take issue with personally. It's responding to them.

zechs
06-04-2022, 11:46 AM

I have always found it odd about the conversation around incarceration rates. There are very few people who have been incarcerated that I'm like "oh, that person is a benefit to society".

High incarceration rates with an unbiased judicial system seems the holy grail of social good. Lowering incarceration rates by simply not jailing criminals is such a bassackwards idea.

ThePenIsMightier
06-04-2022, 12:29 PM
I have always found it odd about the conversation around incarceration rates. There are very few people who have been incarcerated that I'm like "oh, that person is a benefit to society".

High incarceration rates with an unbiased judicial system seems the holy grail of social good. Lowering incarceration rates by simply not jailing criminals is such a bassackwards idea.

We need to find a society where whatever they do to rehabilitate criminals works and then do exactly what they are doing.
Because locking them in a box sure doesn't seem to work.

killramos
06-04-2022, 12:55 PM
We need to find a society where whatever they do to rehabilitate criminals works and then do exactly what they are doing.

All these silly words like “rehabilitate”.

It all depends what the goal is. Keeping them away from productive members of society seems like a good thing. Prison is great for that.

We should really stop letting them out of prison. And make sure prison sucks enough that going there is enough of a deterrent to keep people on the straight and narrow.

dirtsniffer
06-04-2022, 12:56 PM
https://youtu.be/lsrBlKpbBS8
Vaaaaancouver is nice to the addicts..

OTown
06-04-2022, 11:51 PM
I guess we need to define the "issue". It's not the amount of OD's I take issue with personally. It's responding to them.

The amount of liability to just simply 'not show up' to a medical incident like an OD is just too much for AHS and other emergency services. Just think of the lawsuits from the families

Misterman
06-05-2022, 01:45 AM
We should really stop letting them out of prison. And make sure prison sucks enough that going there is enough of a deterrent to keep people on the straight and narrow.

Jail isn't fun by any means. But it certainly isn't deterring anyone in this lifestyle. My brother was one of these people, he told me that he generally go commit petty crime on purpose when the weather gets cold in the winter, because it's a warm bed and beats sleeping outside. He knew he would be out in a few months tops.

The amount of liability to just simply 'not show up' to a medical incident like an OD is just too much for AHS and other emergency services. Just think of the lawsuits from the families

Let them try and sue all they want. As long as it's not in official print that "Under no circumstance do you respond to OD calls" they don't have a leg to stand on. Just triage that shit to the back of the line, and the problem will likely take care of itself by the time paramedics make it to that call. "Hey sorry, we tried. But it was too late by the time we got there"

zechs
06-05-2022, 02:22 AM

Do you know the recidivism rate for criminals, let alone drug addicts?

Rehabilitation is bullshit, it doesn't work. Guess what the most effective form of addiction counseling is? AA, because it places your trust and desire to be clean in a higher authority.

These people (drug addicts and criminals) WANT to live this life. That is why they do it.

davidI
06-05-2022, 03:17 AM

Rehabilitation is bullshit, it doesn't work.

Norway disagrees.

As of 2014, Norway’s incarceration rate was at only 75 per 100,000 people (https://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12). In addition, since developing its new prison system in the 1990s, its recidivism rate has decreased from around 60-70% to only 20% in recent years.

https://borgenproject.org/norways-prison-system/

Sentry
06-05-2022, 06:35 AM
Norweigians are not shithead Canadians or Americans. What works there most likely won't here.

killramos
06-05-2022, 07:59 AM
Why do I care about policies that are best for the criminals. How about policies that are best for productive members of society.

davidI
06-05-2022, 08:19 AM
Why do I care about policies that are best for the criminals. How about policies that are best for productive members of society.

The idea is to make criminals productive members of society...

Sentry
06-05-2022, 08:24 AM
They have to want that. Some do, many don't.

killramos
06-05-2022, 08:37 AM

Sounds like a really really bad investment.

ThePenIsMightier
06-05-2022, 10:44 AM

Rehabilitation is bullshit, it doesn't work...

It is extremely high because what we are doing isn't working and we keep trying the same thing expecting a different result. Every billion dollars we are spending not trying to rehab all these junkies and criminals is coming out of our pockets and going into the toilet. I'd rather have that money spent partially attempting to do something that sort of works.

suntan
06-05-2022, 11:19 AM
How much does it cost to maintain vats of acid?

zechs
06-05-2022, 11:35 AM
It is extremely high because what we are doing isn't working and we keep trying the same thing expecting a different result. Every billion dollars we are spending not trying to rehab all these junkies and criminals is coming out of our pockets and going into the toilet. I'd rather have that money spent partially attempting to do something that sort of works.

I'd rather just lock em up and throw away the key. Or now, just give them a bus ticket to BC now.

vengie
06-05-2022, 11:42 AM
After watching a person making 6 figures turn to drugs and walk away from his family (Wife and 3 kids) and turn to a life of petty crime and drug dealing, completing two stints in rehab and multiple stints in jail, you'll forgive me if I don't have much faith in our system.

Everyone has a story, sure, but few make their way back to society. Enabling them further won't help.

Misterman
06-05-2022, 01:15 PM

Spending a pile of money on trying to force a square peg through a round hole is stupid. It's stupider when that money could've gone to infrastructure or something else that benefits the majority. I think that's what Killramos is getting at.

Yolobimmer
06-05-2022, 01:51 PM
They have to want that. Some do, many don't.

That's comes down 100% addiction and to lack of options and opportunity.

Your privilege is deafening.

Yolobimmer
06-05-2022, 01:56 PM

Rehabilitation is bullshit, it doesn't work. Guess what the most effective form of addiction counseling is? AA, because it places your trust and desire to be clean in a higher authority.

These people (drug addicts and criminals) WANT to live this life. That is why they do it.

Rehab 100% works.

But it should be a 6 month forced labour camp, with gradual release and graduation, with follow up weekly and monthly check ins.

- - - Updated - - -

After watching a person making 6 figures turn to drugs and walk away from his family (Wife and 3 kids) and turn to a life of petty crime and drug dealing, completing two stints in rehab and multiple stints in jail, you'll forgive me if I don't have much faith in our system.

Everyone has a story, sure, but few make their way back to society. Enabling them further won't help.

And I know a successful person, that slipped into bad crowd and lifestyle, with support pulled himself out, and now a successful multi millionaire CEO.

Your "straight and arrow" life is not a personal quality. It's at least 80% luck and circumstance.

vengie
06-05-2022, 03:00 PM
Enabling drug users to keep using drugs without any repercussion and supporting their habit through crime is bad no matter which way you slice it. Change my mind.

ThePenIsMightier
06-05-2022, 03:07 PM
I'd rather just lock em up and throw away the key. Or now, just give them a bus ticket to BC now.

Right, but that's not a feasible or sustainable solution, really. I'm getting to think of a place that does something radically different that prevents crime.

Buster
06-05-2022, 04:25 PM
Enabling drug users to keep using drugs without any repercussion and supporting their habit through crime is bad no matter which way you slice it. Change my mind.

Solving a crime problem is easier than solving a drug problem by making it a crime problem.