PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking weight loss plan - when you're loosing inches not weight

AndyL
06-26-2022, 11:06 AM
Figure some of you can guide me.

Been trying to loose some of my extra padding since September. And I'm having some mixed results...

Gone from 290lbs in 50x34 pants; Now 10 months later - I'm at 325lbs and 40x34 pants. :banghead: Yes, buying pants at normal stores is a lovely thing again - but the goal was to drop weight get the knees less unhappy. Seems like every inch I've lost off my waist has ended up in my chest/shoulders/arms - as I've graduated from 2xl to 3xl shirts to avoid skin tight across the upper body.

Was following the typical "1200 cal / day" meal plans - but that was resulting in nods on the evening commute every day. So ended up bumping up 300 cal (add nutrigrain bar late afternoon) to avoid that. Now trying 'curated' delivered meals to make sure I'm not "accidentally" mis-measuring because I'm hangry every night... :rofl:

Not exactly sedentary; my fitbit before it got smashed in Feb, showed I'm averaging 15000 steps / day; work is still mostly heavy lifting and up and down ladders all day every day. Was doing 30-40mins on the elliptical 4-5 nights a week. I can't manage that anymore - knees aren't tolerating more than 15-20min 2-3 nights a week. "Suck it up and push through the pain" doesn't work, just results in swelling/limping and need for codeine. Physio came up with the genius idea of laps at the pool - unfortunately that's not a realistic solution for weekday exercise.

Any ideas on how to adjust what I'm doing to get the results I'm actually looking for?

Buster
06-26-2022, 11:41 AM
(add nutrigrain bar late afternoon)

adding calories with a high sugar item is a great way to fall asleep.

Try some raw almonds to get the extra 300cal

killramos
06-26-2022, 11:59 AM
I would guess you are massively underestimating your caloric intake. If you are 300lb on 1,200-1,500 calories a day with an active day job and regular exercise.

The math just doesn’t add up.

benyl
06-26-2022, 12:06 PM
Sorry, but this makes no sense.

You need 3000ish calories a day to maintain 325lbs for a 6' tall 40 year old male who is sedentary.

If you are truly following a 1200 calorie a day diet, in 10 months, you'd lose 154lbs in 10 months... give or take.

Do you use a scale and an app? Are you drinking your calories?

Wait, are you eating 1200 cals per day or per meal? lol

max_boost
06-26-2022, 12:42 PM
Is working with a trainer an option? That doesn’t seem sustainable.

AndyL
06-26-2022, 12:48 PM
Do you use a scale and an app? Are you drinking your calories?

Wait, are you eating 1200 cals per day or per meal? lol

I'm trying to ignore the scale honestly - Jump on the work one every 6 weeks or so and curse and swear so avoid it generally like the plague.

My alcohol consumption is nearly nil - Still have my christmas whisky and probably bought 2 6packs (not all consumed by me) in the last 6 months.

Hangry + making meal wasn't a good combo - but definitely not 1200cal/meal. Currently on fedfedfed's diabetic's plan and I have been sticking to it (they say 12-1400cal/day).

I'm confused myself - yes I know I probably wasn't weighing ingredients as well as I should - but now I'm on pre-portioned meals so - that aspect should be eliminated...

I'm 10" off my waist total - the gut is massively reduced, but... Scale doesn't lie.

brucebanner
06-26-2022, 12:58 PM
If you're only eating 1400cal a day, can't possibly see how you're adding what sounds to be muscle. That just doesn't make sense with those intake numbers.

From fedfedfed:
1200-1400
calories per day
3 meals, 5 days a week

Do you eat anything else those days? What do you drink all day, just water?
What do your weekends look like for food intake?

AndyL
06-26-2022, 01:26 PM
Most days - I stick to the meal plan; other than the previously mentioned nutri-grain bar most work afternoons.

Drink - bring a thermos of black coffee, then water. Probably once a week I break and grab a can or 500ml of coke zero.

Weekends don't typically vary, pretty much oatmeal breakfast; ham sandwich and - kiddo's choice for dinner, usually burger, or pork chop or chicken breast, side's usually rice or fries, and some carrots or corn. Nothing coated in sauce, nothing crazy, no double cheeseburgers with bacon, not gallons of pasta/rice... Similar portions to what I get during the week.

tonytiger55
06-26-2022, 01:44 PM
What exactly are you eating? Write it down.

Try this if you like. Its one of the hardest things I did a few years ago. Its not the excercise route.

Cut out all refined sugars, coffee, tea, milk, dairy, eggs (egg whites are ok) red meat, processed foods, chick peas, kidney beans and gluten(wheat, grain by products). No bread etc.

Chicken is ok, ony grilled. Fruit, and natural fruit juices are fine. For breakfast, banana, dates, almond milk. A few almonds soaked in water over night then eat those. Vegetables and lentils, in particular Moog lentils are ok. Though for taste, look into east Indian variations of this. For example I make mixed dhaals(lentils) with spices and rice. Boost up on fermented foods like Kimchi.

The first two weeks will be hard on the hungry, but the body wil adjust. You will only feel the need to eat twice a day. Once around lunch time and again around 5-6pm. You will piss a shit ton in the first week or two.
The first three to four weeks you will go mad. This is due to the lack of sugar. Then you will be fine. You might find your energy levels increase.

What basically happens is you are putting less pressure on your gut for digesting. So most the food you do eat flows through. At the same time you are getting specfic nutrition. This allows the gut biome to reset a little. The bacteria in your gut that feeds on sugar will lessen. Your body will switch to eating itself and detoxing.

I lost about 23lbs in 8-9 weeks. My calorie intake was about 700-800 a day. But I was not hungry once I got into it by week 3-5. I would recommend to see a Ayuverdic Doctor. They can give you specific suppliments/herbs. I was taking quite a few.
Though I admit myself, this was really hard to do.

ExtraSlow
06-26-2022, 02:16 PM
Others know more than me about all this, but going from a 50 inch waist to a 40 inch waist is a massive improvement for your general health no matter what the scale says. So don't be too discouraged that you haven't seen all the results you hoped, you are already doing great.

zechs
06-26-2022, 02:33 PM
You realistically should not aim to lose more than 2lbs per week. Anymore and you are starving yourself.

14k steps per day is 600 calories burned alone. A sedentary man of 200lb is 1600-1800 to maintain weight. You with your activity level are easily in need of 2000 calories per day and I'd bet you'd be close to the 2lb weight loss per week mark.

Starving yourself is a plan for failure as you'll be miserable and cheat and binge and do all the wrong things.

Use an app, calculate 2lbs per week loss sedentary, and then track your weekly activity burn of calories and add in whatever food is needed to make the calories up to the 2lb per week loss level.

Weighing is super important for meat and carbs. Zero cal drinks are bad as they make you hungry.

You need to focus on getting the sugar in your diet way down.

This is all tough, I've struggled as a guy who was 135lbs throughout my late teens/early 20's and have slowly worked my way up to 200.

Excercise is also a false hope for weight loss. You aren't on a diet, you are on a journey to change your eating habits permanently. Without getting the eating under control and regimented, the excercise is pointless and as you've noted, incredibly hard on your body.

Another thing to keep in mind, one bad cheat night destroys a whole week of mindful eating. So literally eating half a pizza, or drinking 6+ beers, and the whole weeks is wasted.

AndyL
06-26-2022, 02:54 PM
Others know more than me about all this, but going from a 50 inch waist to a 40 inch waist is a massive improvement for your general health no matter what the scale says. So don't be too discouraged that you haven't seen all the results you hoped, you are already doing great.

Yeah, just absolutely sick of being on a diet now. Tired of being hangry all day every day and the red meat & pasta cravings.

Excercise is also a false hope for weight loss. You aren't on a diet, you are on a journey to change your eating habits permanently. Without getting the eating under control and regimented, the excercise is pointless and as you've noted, incredibly hard on your body.

Nah I'll be the first one to admit I need some more cardio in my life. An hour or so winding 6-8 big duplex springs and I'm a sweaty mess of exhausted worn out old fatman.

riander5
06-26-2022, 08:09 PM
What an interesting story. Congrats on your weight loss journey.

Step #1 (2 steps in one) - Start tracking your calories in myfitnesspal for a week see what you are actually consuming / Stop starving yourself and get at least 1 g protein / lb lean body mass (probably 220-250g a day for you)

Step #2 - Are you lifting weights? If not you should be. Sounds like you have a physical job so it might be tough, but the long and short of it is strength training in the gym is a much different stimulus than what you do at work

Step #3 - Cardio isn't necessary for weight loss. It is however good for you. If you cant do the elliptical, get your butt on a bike. Peloton style spin bikes will be the best, then the normal upright after that. Don't do the recumbant (sitting one) unless you have to. If you really want to take a step into longetvity look up zone 2 cardio and dr. peter attia. This might be a bit much at this point but its interesting stuff!

Brent.ff
06-26-2022, 09:03 PM
Ya I was going to come say, spend a week on MyFitnessPal tracking calories. It’s very easy with the bar code scanning (though so need a scale). I suspect you’re way above 1200 cal

benyl
06-26-2022, 09:25 PM
there is another app called fatsecret that is pretty good too.

AndyL
06-26-2022, 10:00 PM
Yes have kitchen scale - clueing in that's what y'all were on about in terms of scale; but yeah that's why I went to pre-packed prepared meals to take my hungry arse measurements out of the equation. (I'll admit - just like I did above... Hangry and cooking wasn't the best mix... 1/8 cup of rice might have been a bit generous at times)

I'm not going to claim I'm not struggling - and yup i've cheated - But we're talking a costco blueberry muffin (that was today actually - yes that's half my calories today apparently), or grabbing a cheeseburger at mcdonalds (not even the big mac I want, plain yellow wrapper cheeseburger) on a working late night. Not sit down drink a 6pack of Guinness, or kill off a hot-n-ready solo.

But - just downloaded the myfitnesspal - I'll see what this week looks like, but it's showing 1365 cal for today. And saying I should be taking in 2912.

If you cant do the elliptical, get your butt on a bike. Peloton style spin bikes will be the best, then the normal upright after that.
Bike's a non starter, use the elliptical because the more acute bend on a bike is what really sets off the inflammation in the left knee.

ThePenIsMightier
06-26-2022, 11:06 PM
This sounds like physician time, to me.
You've lost more than one third of your girth from your gut while gaining weight of 12% and stacking onto your chest and arms without really working out.
This is odd physiological behaviour. Do you have diabetes? Do you have any types of hormonal imbalance issues that your aware of?

AndyL
06-27-2022, 12:14 AM
You've lost more than one third of your girth from your gut while gaining weight of 12% and stacking onto your chest and arms without really working out.
This is odd physiological behaviour. Do you have diabetes? Do you have any types of hormonal imbalance issues that your aware of?

20% not 33.333% by my math

And yes while I don't lift weights - pretty sure winding torsion springs - which is a daily task - definitely falls into that category, 2-4 sets of 20-30 reps of a increasing load.

No diabetes, nothing hormonal has been mentioned.

spike98
06-27-2022, 06:38 AM
Your intake is way to low. This has you in starvation mode and does really weird things to your body. As suggested by everyone else, start tracking your calories. Also up your intake like massively. For age, weight, and height your maintenance calories are probably around 3000/day but a proper assessment should be had (use one of many online calculators). Aim for a 500cal deficit. Thats it. Slow and steady wins this race. Too fast and you mess up your metabolism, have liver problems, and retain water. Don't bother with all of these fancy diets. Eat what you want but don't eat over your limit. Hard diets aren't sustainable diets. You learn very quick what keeps you full vs that delicious costco muffin. But its ok to have one once and a while if you count for it.

Exercise is also key. Personally i like weight lifting and HATE cardio. I do what i like more often vs what i dont. The recipe is all calories in vs calories out. Just move more. Go for walks, park farther away from walmart, take the stairs, bike to the corner store. It doesn't need to be a set exercise regime, although getting into the habit is more effective.

Also don't ignore the scale, you need to know if your deficit is working and adjust accordingly. Just don't weigh daily. I weigh every friday morning right after my morning piss. If you follow the above for a month, you will lose weight. Its a simple equation. If you aren't then see a doctor because there is something definitely wrong.

JRSC00LUDE
06-27-2022, 09:03 AM
So let me get this straight, you are wanting to tighten weight?

riander5
06-27-2022, 09:14 AM

PenIs is right.

You can hardly do any cardio because of structural issues in your body

You are gaining weight in weird places and not loosing weight when in a perceived deficit

325lb unless you're 6'10 is literally a life and death situation. You should start throwing some money at this if you have extra.

Physician or Naturopath specializing in hormones and weight loss. Nutritionist / Dietician (if you have benefits dieticians are covered)

killramos
06-27-2022, 09:19 AM
If you are retaining massive amounts of water that also makes me worry about ticker issues.

+1 if you are 100% sure about your numbers you are quoting this sounds like doctor time.

ThePenIsMightier
06-27-2022, 10:13 AM
*I think I'm wrong about the mArTh though. I think I calculated it like pants were sold in diameter.
Hang on...
[(40/pi)^2 / (50/pi)^2] = 0.64 so that sounds like a 36% reduction in cross sectional surface area of gut.

I think a physician can help get a better idea of an external factor for you. I am not trying to be alarmist, I just think there may be something else at play.

scboss
06-27-2022, 11:56 PM
Gone from 290lbs in 50x34 pants; Now 10 months later - I'm at 325lbs and 40x34 pants. :banghead: Yes, buying pants at normal stores is a lovely thing again - but the goal was to drop weight get the knees less unhappy. Seems like every inch I've lost off my waist has ended up in my chest/shoulders/arms - as I've graduated from 2xl to 3xl shirts to avoid skin tight across the upper body.

Was following the typical "1200 cal / day" meal plans - but that was resulting in nods on the evening commute every day. So ended up bumping up 300 cal (add nutrigrain bar late afternoon) to avoid that. Now trying 'curated' delivered meals to make sure I'm not "accidentally" mis-measuring because I'm hangry every night... :rofl:

If you were eating that many calories per day you would be melting so something is super off. In my experience eating in that much of a deficit leads to two things. 1. Binge eating 2. Extreme Muscle loss.
You should really start tracking everything so you can look back and see where the flaws are. The first place I would tell a client to start in your situation is to track protein intake. If you hit .8g per lb of bodyweight from cooking you wont have space for crap because you will be so full. This is surprisingly difficult and in general most people who struggle with weight loss eat a super heavy carb fat diet. Not that those things are bad but they are usually full of tons of extra calories unlike most protein sources.

Things like myfitness pal are great tools for tracking but if that doesn't work for you then start writing everything down. You need to figure out how many calories you are eating and what some of the red flags are in your diet. To give you an example that blueberry muffin from costco (612 calories) IMO is not worth it because you can legit go eat a big mac instead (563 calories). I've had clients in the past going out to eat thinking they are having healthy salads but they are 1k calories+ and all they had to do was google it to double check.

Regardless if you haven't done so yet go to the doctor and get blood work done to rule out anything else. From the looks of things though you have lots of freedom and just need to build the habit of knowing exactly what you are putting in your body.

You are looking to change up your lifestyle and it wont be linear so just make sure you keep learning from your mistakes. Forming new habits is hard AF but once you have them you will never need to "diet" again.

benyl
06-28-2022, 08:44 AM
The flip side of the coin of the blueberry Costco muffin is that it takes 30 minutes of intense exercise (80% max HR) to burn that shit off. It's why you can't out exercise a bad diet. Moment on the lips.

There are some youtube clips of people doing a 10K calorie challenge where they eat 10K calories one day and then on another try to exercise it away. 10K calories is very difficult to burn in a day, but so easy to eat.

riander5
06-28-2022, 09:16 AM
The flip side of the coin of the blueberry Costco muffin is that it takes 30 minutes of intense exercise (80% max HR) to burn that shit off. It's why you can't out exercise a bad diet. Moment on the lips.

There are some youtube clips of people doing a 10K calorie challenge where they eat 10K calories one day and then on another try to exercise it away. 10K calories is very difficult to burn in a day, but so easy to eat.

Did you just say 10k calories is easy to eat? :confused:

Buster
06-28-2022, 09:17 AM
Ya, I cant eat 10k calories in a day, lol

killramos
06-28-2022, 09:20 AM
I mean. I think I could if I set my mind to it…

You know how calories dense bacon is? Haha

benyl
06-28-2022, 09:22 AM

Sorry, compared to trying to burn off the same amount. lol.

Eating 10K calories isn't easy either for the average person.

That being said, those 600lb people on "My 600lb life" sure make it look easy. Speaking of which, they all go on a 1500 calorie diet and are expected to lose 60lbs a month. We all know they cheat like hell cause most of the time they lose 5 lbs of water weight.

riander5
06-28-2022, 09:30 AM
Sorry, compared to trying to burn off the same amount. lol.

Eating 10K calories isn't easy either for the average person.

That being said, those 600lb people on "My 600lb life" sure make it look easy. Speaking of which, they all go on a 1500 calorie diet and are expected to lose 60lbs a month. We all know they cheat like hell cause most of the time they lose 5 lbs of water weight.

Haha thats fair.

I could probably down 10k calories if it was all bacon, coconut oil... bacon oil.... hmm.. pastries maybe

But 10k calories of anything actually resembling healthy food is near impossible! Even for Buster

killramos
06-28-2022, 09:31 AM
That I will agree with.

brucebanner
06-28-2022, 09:32 AM

I have 0 doubt I could do it no problem if I was trying to.

ExtraSlow
06-28-2022, 09:33 AM
a beer is what, 165 calories? So that's only 48 beers and a reasonable amount of food.

ThePenIsMightier
06-28-2022, 11:30 AM
a beer is what, 165 calories? So that's only 48 beers and a reasonable amount of food.

I... Don't think I could do it...
Let's call it 12 beers and 3 Wendy's Baconator burgers over a day. That is only 5,000 Calories?!!?
I could maybe bump that up to 18 beers and a 4th Baconator but I don't think I could do more than that and that's still only 7,000 Calories.
WtF?!

FunWheelDrive
06-28-2022, 11:43 AM
I went from 270lbs down to 200lbs in a weight loss journey so I'll give some tips that worked for me.

There is only one chemical process in which the body can lose body fat, that is to turn body fat into carbon dioxide. Move more, eat less. However, the most significant thing you can do to lose body fat is lift heavy weights.

Staying consistent with a heavy weight lifting routine will turn consumed calories into feeding new muscle growth. The more muscle you have the more calories you need to just sustain the muscle mass in your body. Professional body builders eat seven meals a day.

The benefits of lifting heavy weights are also increased testosterone levels, the more testosterone and less estrogen the body has the less likely the body is to gain fat.

Lift heavy and consistently.

spike98
06-28-2022, 12:06 PM
I... Don't think I could do it...
Let's call it 12 beers and 3 Wendy's Baconator burgers over a day. That is only 5,000 Calories?!!?
I could maybe bump that up to 18 beers and a 4th Baconator but I don't think I could do more than that and that's still only 7,000 Calories.
WtF?!

Not super easy but not super hard. Dave's triple combo with large fries and coke for 3 meals. 6060cal. Caramel Fudge Cheesecake Blizzard from DQ as an afternoon Snack 1240 cal. 6 Guiness in the evening. 1056cal with a bag of pizza bites as a late night snack. 1571cal. Throw in a snickers somewhere throughout the day and you are over 10kcal.

Now would your body absorb that many calories? No. It would likely half go to waste.

AndyL
06-28-2022, 07:03 PM
Gah - you guys talking huge meals when I've been starving.

132/76bp and 72bpm - I was at a pharmacy, I checked - bit too normal to be major heart problems.

EAP nutritionist - not super useful, said ramp up calorie intake. Thanks captain obvious. (This wasnt the same nutritionist but had notes from the one who put me on this diet ffs).

No clue when I can get into doctor for bloodwork, would be easier to come back to Alberta for that.

2103cal yesterday, that didn't feel good (felt like after Thanksgiving overindulgence all day). Nowhere near that today, 1400cal and very not hungry... Maybe I'll make an egg or two later.

zechs
06-28-2022, 07:16 PM
2103cal yesterday, that didn't feel good (felt like after Thanksgiving overindulgence all day). Nowhere near that today, 1400cal and very not hungry... Maybe I'll make an egg or two later.

Well, the thread has covered everything you need to know. If you are comfortable eating only 1400cal/day, you will shed weight like nobodies' business and congrats, easy success. But you also may cause some extreme adverse side effects because you are literally starving yourself.

You honestly may have digestive problems. Or you may not being truthful with yourself. Not much more we can do here. Based on my (and most other's experience), its more likely one of these then the other. You need to be counting everything (milk and sugar in your coffee/tea/whatever).

Personally, I simply can't imagine doing a physical job and 1400cal per day. To lose 2lbs for me @200lb, its 1200/day+600 to makeup for my physical activity. And if I am not PERFECT with the protein and eat too many carbs, I will be hungry.

So how you can manage on 1400 at an extra 125lb, something simply isn't adding up.

ExtraSlow
06-28-2022, 07:26 PM
My guess is that the calories are not being counted correctly. Missing quite a bit. But let's focus on the psotives here guys, waist circumference is a critical measurement for health, much more important than overall weight. He's making good progress.

benyl
06-29-2022, 09:54 AM

If you are able, take pics and upload everything you eat here. I am sure there are enough of us that can analyze what you are eating from pics.

I'm back on counting calories on an app due to this thread as a curiosity of what I am actually eating these days.

AndyL
08-09-2022, 11:01 AM
Figured I'd update.

Bodies are wierd :rofl:

Doubled caloric intake, running 2500-2700cal/day - weight jumped up to 345 at first - but seeing weekly 5+lb losses for the last few weeks.

Need to go pant and belt shopping again soon...

zechs
08-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Glad it is working out for you, sounds like you got things figured out which is A+ .

spike98
08-09-2022, 12:45 PM
but seeing weekly 5+lb losses for the last few weeks. .

If your dialed in, that's probably just water/bloat coming off and i would expect that to taper to about 2lb per week. I would be sure to use that as a target as that is a deficit of about 1000cal per day. Its aggressive but sustainable at your weight for at least a while. Keep your macro's in check and plan for at least 0.75g of protein per lean lb of body weight. Its tough but will help with muscle development and the loss of muscle in a deficit.

Buster
08-09-2022, 06:20 PM
I'm down about 16 pounds since last summer. Haven't been too crazy, really just cutting out shit food and looking at portion sizes.

ExtraSlow
08-09-2022, 06:44 PM
Twerking has been my weight loss plan.

ThePenIsMightier
08-09-2022, 07:40 PM
Twerking has been my weight loss plan.

I always knew you were bornTwerkOnCars!

JRSC00LUDE
08-09-2022, 09:28 PM
I always knew you were bornTwerkOnCars!

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later

JRSC00LUDE
08-09-2022, 10:14 PM
I actually came back here to enjoy this again.

AndyL
08-10-2022, 08:09 AM
If your dialed in, that's probably just water/bloat coming off and i would expect that to taper to about 2lb per week. I would be sure to use that as a target as that is a deficit of about 1000cal per day. Its aggressive but sustainable at your weight for at least a while. Keep your macro's in check and plan for at least 0.75g of protein per lean lb of body weight. Its tough but will help with muscle development and the loss of muscle in a deficit.

I feel like I should say ELI5... I understand the words just not the words together :)

Definitely not dialed in - just still doing what body wants at the moment; about all I'm actually trying to do is eat more and little more protein than carbs. Tummy doesn't like it if I try to push to 3280 that MFP wants (think I've hit that once but I really regretted eating that popeyes poutine for several days after).

riander5
08-10-2022, 08:12 AM
I feel like I should say ELI5... I understand the words just not the words together :)

Definitely not dialed in - just still doing what body wants at the moment; about all I'm actually trying to do is eat more and little more protein than carbs. Tummy doesn't like it if I try to push to 3280 that MFP wants (think I've hit that once but I really regretted eating that popeyes poutine for several days after).

You were eating popeyes poutine to hit calorie goals for weight loss?

AndyL
08-10-2022, 04:14 PM
You were eating popeyes poutine to hit calorie goals for weight loss?

Oh hell no :rofl: that things like 1200 cal - as I learned later. But it was about the only day I bumped 3000 calories.

Gman.45
08-10-2022, 05:14 PM
What's your water intake like Andy?

AndyL
08-10-2022, 06:24 PM
What's your water intake like Andy?

Lately a lot - work out in the heat; 6x24-500ml / month is the running average; thats just work drinks - don't tend to follow water at home; there's usually one at hand (just water, even cut the diet coke down to almost gone too).

ExtraSlow
08-10-2022, 06:38 PM
That's good. Diet drinks mess with your body on a deep level. Water, black coffee and that's about it.

JRSC00LUDE
08-10-2022, 08:26 PM
That's good. Diet drinks mess with your body on a deep level. Water, black coffee and that's about it.

You mean like diet Coke? And if so can you elaborate please?

ExtraSlow
08-10-2022, 08:39 PM
I do mean diet coke, zero sugar red bull, anything with artificial sweeteners. I belive artificial sweeteners are not healthy, not a sustainable path to weight loss. Outside of diabetes or something, I think they have no legitimate purpose. I have absolutely zero facts or backup for that statement. I do however keep making it.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

ThePenIsMightier
08-10-2022, 08:42 PM
PictureOfJonDaly.jpg

I believe he drinks a few...

ExtraSlow
08-10-2022, 08:45 PM
I think it's well known that correlation equals causation. Stand at the in-store Wal-Mart McDonald's for an hour with a clipboard and note the size of people who select diet drinks vs other beverages.

nismodrifter
08-11-2022, 12:54 AM
I do mean diet coke, zero sugar red bull, anything with artificial sweeteners. I belive artificial sweeteners are not healthy, not a sustainable path to weight loss. Outside of diabetes or something, I think they have no legitimate purpose. I have absolutely zero facts or backup for that statement. I do however keep making it.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

This is fact.
With artificial sweeteners you are still seeking, and getting that kick, that rush, you get with plain old sugar. The result? Insulin does its thing, putting the body back into storage mode.
Data for aspartame is there. Other sweeteners, not so much. In any case, if weight loss is the goal, my recommendation is always to stay away.

cet
08-11-2022, 06:01 AM
No, it's not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAjnvOc18s4&t=341s

benyl
08-11-2022, 07:43 AM
I think it's well known that correlation equals causation. Stand at the in-store Wal-Mart McDonald's for an hour with a clipboard and note the size of people who select diet drinks vs other beverages.

hahaha.

You should try a buffet in the US. The guy who orders a diet coke is a like a kid in a candy store in the dessert section. I literally can't help chuckling.

Inzane
08-11-2022, 03:15 PM
Cut out all refined sugars, coffee, tea, milk, dairy, eggs (egg whites are ok) red meat, processed foods, chick peas, kidney beans and gluten(wheat, grain by products). No bread etc.

I understand the part about cutting sugar and bread... aligns with the low-carb Keto diet mindset. But what's the problem with coffee, tea, egg yolks and red meat?

JRSC00LUDE
08-11-2022, 05:52 PM
I understand the part about cutting sugar and bread... aligns with the low-carb Keto diet mindset. But what's the problem with coffee, tea, egg yolks and red meat?

Lunacy

zechs
08-11-2022, 09:16 PM
Red meat can sort of be argued, as it is twice as calorie heavy per gram of protein.

But one way to absolutely fail at losing weight is to make yourself completely f'ing miserable. Lot worse things then red meat, just gotta watch the calories.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2022, 09:21 PM
Yeah small sustainable changes are more likely to be maintained than major ones.

My controversial advice is to learn what it feels like to be hungry, and to not be afraid of that feeling occasionally. Not saying to starve yourself, but some people seem totally terrified of the sensation of hunger, and it's my opinion that that's bad.

JRSC00LUDE
08-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Yeah small sustainable changes are more likely to be maintained than major ones.

My controversial advice is to learn what it feels like to be hungry, and to not be afraid of that feeling occasionally. Not saying to starve yourself, but some people seem totally terrified of the sensation of hunger, and it's my opinion that that's bad.

Every single person alive should be able to go for 2 days without eating without having a fucking emotional breakdown.

ExtraSlow
08-12-2022, 06:30 AM
Every single person alive should be able to go for 2 days without eating without having a fucking emotional breakdown.
I know people who can barely go 4 hours.

killramos
08-12-2022, 06:35 AM

You have met women too?

riander5
08-12-2022, 07:54 AM
You have met women too?

Hahahaha... was in for a blood draw at calgary labs one morning, some 50 y/o Karen was freaking out since she hadn't eaten in 8 hours and her blood sugar was low. I was hoping someone would roundhouse her, didn't happen unfortunately.

killramos
08-12-2022, 07:56 AM
I haven’t met many women who don’t think being hungry is an acceptable excuse for treating people badly.

It’s embarrassing.

ThePenIsMightier
08-12-2022, 08:16 AM
I haven’t met many women who don’t think being hungry is an acceptable excuse for treating people badly.

It’s embarrassing.

You just have to invent a word for it. Like hangry.
In #2022, this works to justify your preposterous behavior.
It's like adding that 13th character to the end of LgBtQ+¥•ë

JRSC00LUDE
08-12-2022, 10:03 AM

I know, but they're ridiculous. Talk about privilege.....

nismodrifter
08-12-2022, 10:26 AM
Y

You should do a TED Talk re weight loss. All sound advice.

https://uhs.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/wellness-hungersatietyscale.pdf