PDA

View Full Version : Ants! So many ants in my yard.

ExtraSlow
06-26-2022, 06:42 PM
So the ant situation in my yard is out of hand. It gets worse every single year. I've been in this house for 14 years and I've tried the powders, the sprays, the home remedies, the nematodes, and maybe other things I'm forgetting.

We are pretty insect friendly, but this is getting ridiculous in my lawn, my flower borders, and my raised planters.
So what's the most surefire way to get rid of ant colonies for good?

killramos
06-26-2022, 06:52 PM
Raid?

Some people do the diatomaceous earth thing.

Darell_n
06-26-2022, 06:54 PM
Keep everything wet.

Disoblige
06-26-2022, 06:56 PM
http://surl.li/chios

I used this remedy last year, worked great. First hand experience, no speculation.

Borax sugar water mixture, put it all around the yard where I saw ants. Saw all the ants pick up the borax laced sugar and saw 90% decrease in ants within a couple weeks.

ThePenIsMightier
06-26-2022, 07:19 PM
Any poison with borax. Couple of drops, they find, they take to nest, Queen dies.
Profit.

ExtraSlow
06-26-2022, 08:49 PM
I'm certain I have done borax previously. But laid some out tonight around two trouble spots. Followed an online recipe that says to soak it up in cotton balls. We shall see.

2Legit2Quit
06-26-2022, 09:10 PM
I had someone from Martin's pest control come out last year and was well worth it, went from ants to no ants.

Sprayed and laid bait, few hundred bucks but was being worth it for instant ant free gratification

Sentry
06-26-2022, 09:27 PM
Bless you, ants.

Blants.

2002civic
06-26-2022, 09:33 PM
I find the Terro liquid bait traps work really well.

schurchill39
06-27-2022, 10:14 AM
One thing I have always heard about and wanted to try was taking a scoop from one ant hill and putting it on another one. They won't like mixing nests and will either kill eachother or fuck off according the the old wives tails. Maybe give that a go while you're doing everything else?

Neil4Speed
06-27-2022, 10:23 AM
I find the Terro liquid bait traps work really well.

This is what I used, takes a little bit of time (a few weeks) but works. I had a major ant issue last year. I left the door ajar for a few minutes and had a trail of about 50 coming right into the house. They were also getting in to the basement through a small crack in the garage, it was horrible.

Last year was specifically bad due to the heat/dryness. This year I put the borax traps out early.

16hypen3sp
06-27-2022, 10:39 AM
Good thread. I also have a huge ant problem in my back yard.

tirebob
06-27-2022, 10:53 AM
I used to have a problem with ants at our Airdrie house. I finally went and started lifting up patio stones etc and found where there was a ton of eggs etc and started there early in the season. As the summer went on and I saw little ant holes sprouting up I would use the foam and shoot them full right away. By the end of summer there was almost none. Early the next year at the start of bug season I did the same thing and found there were much less, and by the end of the second season there were none to speak of other than the odd one here and there.

From there I would just do spot exterminating once in a while and never had trouble again.

littledan
06-27-2022, 11:04 AM
in for killing methods for these little fuckers

TomcoPDR
06-27-2022, 11:06 AM
One thing I have always heard about and wanted to try was taking a scoop from one ant hill and putting it on another one. They won't like mixing nests and will either kill eachother or fuck off according the the old wives tails. Maybe give that a go while you're doing everything else?

What if the tribes find their way into ES’s art room and start inter mixing.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2022, 11:07 AM
Will report back on efficiency of the homemade borax soaked cotton balls. Should be seeing results by tomorrow according to teh intarweebs,

ThePenIsMightier
06-27-2022, 11:22 AM
They're not very harmful in this part of the world, anyways... I don't lose sleep over them as long as they aren't rampant.

90_Shelby
06-27-2022, 11:43 AM
"Ant Out" spray worked for me.

JRSC00LUDE
06-27-2022, 01:02 PM
Move into the best asset class of the best asset class, also known as a condo.