PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle test drives when selling?

93VR6
07-01-2022, 11:12 AM
I’m about to list an expensive-ish (90-100k) car for sale, how do you or how have you handled test drives for vehicles like this?

Thanks.

pheoxs
07-01-2022, 11:21 AM
I’m about to list an expensive-ish (90-100k) car for sale, how do you or how have you handled test drives for vehicles like this?

Thanks.

They can look at the car and they can ride in the car while I drive it for them. If they’re still interested then a signed bill of sale and a cash deposit in hand to let them test drive it.

Not letting them drive until they’ve signed the bill of sale because if they crash then it’s their car.

03ozwhip
07-01-2022, 11:29 AM
I'm not buying a 100k car without driving it ill tell you that

tirebob
07-01-2022, 11:52 AM
It depends who is showing up... There is a big difference between a cocky DDP mid 20 year old wigga and a 60 year old retired accountant.

I expect someone interested to want to drive it but it will only happen if I am in the car as well.

ExtraSlow
07-01-2022, 12:21 PM
Yolo and yeet, no cap.

max_boost
07-01-2022, 01:04 PM
Sold a few cars In the $60k range and no test drives just inspection. So I’m def not letting test drives lol but that’s me.

heavyD
07-01-2022, 01:09 PM
I just sold a vehicle for $86k. I let them drive it because I can't imagine any sane person handing over that much money without getting behind the wheel of the car and test driving it. Clearly you have to gauge the person based on their appearance when they arrive but as long as they don't pull up in an Subaru STI with a flat brimmed hat I don't see the issue of letting them test drive it. You are selling the car after all so you have to let go of the paranoia of letting others drive it.

rage2
07-01-2022, 04:25 PM
“If you crash it make sure it’s a write off”

littledan
07-01-2022, 05:59 PM
When I sold my truck I met them at a police station, handed them the keys and made them promise to bring it back. It was a nice lady from new sarepta and the truck was only 7 grand though. They brought it back.

bjstare
07-01-2022, 08:05 PM
I haven’t let people test drive my last couple cars.

There is zero chance I’d let someone drive it without a signed bill of sale. Tell them you’ll be happy to refund them if they drive it and decide they don’t want it, but it’s simply too much risk for you to take on. Anyone that has $100k to spend on a car will be reasonable (I.e., smart) enough to understand that.

If that doesn’t float your goat, then just meet in springbank or something where there’s less traffic and a lower risk of accident.

rc2002
07-02-2022, 08:32 AM
In this market you might get away with no test drives if yours is a sought after car and priced reasonably.

I traded in my car last year and got about the same as I would get selling privately but without the hassle of trying to sell a used car.

Personally, I have always allowed test drives to maximize the number of potential buyers (and price).

zechs
07-02-2022, 08:44 AM
, but it’s simply too much risk for you to take on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what risk? The car has insurance on it. You are a passenger in the car. Any funny business occurs, you tell them to pull over. An accident happens, insurance handles it and you sue them for any additional costs. The odds of there being an issue like a crash/accident with you in the vehicle is so astronomically low I can't see why anyone would put that as a risk. Higher chance of an issue driving it yourself on any given day.

There is inherent risk in selling anything. Probably not as much of an issue on more expensive cars to know what you are getting into as the car is likely in good shape, but a test drive seems mandatory.

Anytime I've bought a vehicle, or done a test drive of a vehicle at a dealership, I let the seller know in advance I will be taking the vehicle to redline as that is within manufacturer spec and I intend to use the vehicle as the manufacturer spec'd it.

This is the only way to insure everything is operating properly. You won't see the transmission slip while driving Ms Daisy, but you'll find out right quick with a full throttle downshift.

M.alex
07-02-2022, 11:57 AM
They can look at the car and they can ride in the car while I drive it for them. If they’re still interested then a signed bill of sale and a cash deposit in hand to let them test drive it.

Not letting them drive until they’ve signed the bill of sale because if they crash then it’s their car.

This. I've only test driven cars when I'm ready to sign and buy. And half the time I don't even test drive the car - I bought my Viper in the middle of winter (-40*) and just had the guy start it up and that was good enough.

brucebanner
07-02-2022, 01:03 PM
My recent daily drivers have all been trade ins except 1 and I took the new buyers for a drive, they still purchased.

My summer drivers, I had taken all buyers for a drive and they've all purchased after said drive.

Personally, I generally wouldn't buy something without driving it (exception being my current F150).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-02-2022, 01:05 PM
After my Corvette fiasco I don’t think I would buy a car that pricey without a decent test drive and maybe even a pre purchase inspection if I can’t get a good look under it.

Darell_n
07-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what risk? The car has insurance on it. You are a passenger in the car. Any funny business occurs, you tell them to pull over. An accident happens, insurance handles it and you sue them for any additional costs. The odds of there being an issue like a crash/accident with you in the vehicle is so astronomically low I can't see why anyone would put that as a risk. Higher chance of an issue driving it yourself on any given day.

There is inherent risk in selling anything. Probably not as much of an issue on more expensive cars to know what you are getting into as the car is likely in good shape, but a test drive seems mandatory.

Anytime I've bought a vehicle, or done a test drive of a vehicle at a dealership, I let the seller know in advance I will be taking the vehicle to redline as that is within manufacturer spec and I intend to use the vehicle as the manufacturer spec'd it.

This is the only way to insure everything is operating properly. You won't see the transmission slip while driving Ms Daisy, but you'll find out right quick with a full throttle downshift.

If you were test driving and the engine or transmission blew up at redline would you volunteer to pay for it or just walk away and tell them thanks for the entertainment?

bjstare
07-02-2022, 01:51 PM
If you were test driving and the engine or transmission blew up at redline would you volunteer to pay for it or just walk away and tell them thanks for the entertainment?

Ya this is a good example of one of the risks. An accident is worst case, but there’s a ton of other things that can happen. A non-writeoff accident is a horrible outcome.

Another example: a few years back I let someone test drive my car. They got a photo radar ticket, and obviously never paid me.

killramos
07-02-2022, 07:49 PM
When I sold my C63 it was sight unseen.

I let a buddy of his who lived in town look at it but that was it.

heavyD
07-04-2022, 08:54 AM
I really don't understand why some are so hesitant to let a possible buyer test drive. It's not like you are selling a rare collector car and what's really going to happen with you in the passenger seat? I assume if the prospective buyer was able enough to drive to meet you without crashing their car they are going to be able to take your vehicle for a little spin with you in it. The odds of getting into an accident are no higher than you driving the car at any time anyway. How comfortable would you be if you are looking to buy a $100k used car and the seller (a person you don't know at all and do not know you can trust) refused to let you buy it unless you committed to the sale with money first? You can get an inspection done for $500 at a dealership of the brand but I would still want to drive it to see if it has any little quirks like rattles, noises on bumps, etc.

killramos
07-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Would you toss the keys at any moron on the street?

Because that’s what Kijiji is. Any moron off the street.

No test drives is a great way to avoid test pilots.

If you can sell the vehicle without that experience. That sounds like a win to me. A test drive has never been a contentious aspect of selling a car for me.

If they want to test drive cars they can hit a dealer who have profit margins to support that nonsense.

ganesh
07-04-2022, 09:22 AM
I really don't understand why some are so hesitant to let a possible buyer test drive. It's not like you are selling a rare collector car and what's really going to happen with you in the passenger seat? I assume if the prospective buyer was able enough to drive to meet you without crashing their car they are going to be able to take your vehicle for a little spin with you in it. The odds of getting into an accident are no higher than you driving the car at any time anyway. How comfortable would you be if you are looking to buy a $100k used car and the seller (a person you don't know at all and do not know you can trust) refused to let you buy it unless you committed to the sale with money first? You can get an inspection done for $500 at a dealership of the brand but I would still want to drive it to see if it has any little quirks like rattles, noises on bumps, etc.

+1
There is no way I am spending 100K + without driving the vehicle.
I recently had this experience at a Dealership where they wanted me to sign the papers without test driving one and I simply walked away

jutes
07-04-2022, 09:25 AM
If I'm buying a 100k+ vehicle I'm driving it first. I would like to see at least one or two WOT rips, however I'd be perfectly fine with letting the owner do that with me in the passenger seat.

Dealer vehicle 100% I would need to drive it first.

DonJuan
07-04-2022, 09:53 AM
Ah this thread gives me nice warm fuzzy feelings of Beyond CSI days and the Claw.

100k private sale I haven't done but my method is pic of person holding their license of and close up pic of their license/insurance. I usually ask for the keys of the car they came in, and if they are sketchy I would follow them in my car on a semi-planned route with video on dashcam (I've never had to do this).

I'm not getting into the car with them. If they wanna steal it fukin' take it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/tim-bosma-s-accused-killer-tried-to-arrange-3rd-test-drive-1.1302075

brucebanner
07-04-2022, 10:51 AM
DonJuan why their insurance? Just to verify their address?

I always suggest i drive for insurance purposes, since it's my insurance that deals with something if it happens.

I'm not against letting someone drive before buying but that's an in person assessment.

heavyD
07-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Would you toss the keys at any moron on the street?

Because that’s what Kijiji is. Any moron off the street.

No test drives is a great way to avoid test pilots.

If you can sell the vehicle without that experience. That sounds like a win to me. A test drive has never been a contentious aspect of selling a car for me.

If they want to test drive cars they can hit a dealer who have profit margins to support that nonsense.

I'm smart enough to be able to discern a legitimate buyer from a Kijiji test pilot. You can usually tell instantly by the vehicle they pull up in. Not everyone needs color by number. The reality is that few Kijiji test pilots test drive $100k cars. They are more interested in stuff like STI's and Type R's, etc. Stuff they want but can't quite attain.

DonJuan
07-04-2022, 11:50 AM
DonJuan why their insurance? Just to verify their address?

I always suggest i drive for insurance purposes, since it's my insurance that deals with something if it happens.

I'm not against letting someone drive before buying but that's an in person assessment.

Just something for my insurance company or police to go with, just to say I did due diligence. The whole "He said he was insured."

Fake buyers might get scared away from test driving if they think their insurance will come back at them.

killramos
07-04-2022, 12:19 PM
I'm smart enough to be able to discern a legitimate buyer from a Kijiji test pilot. You can usually tell instantly by the vehicle they pull up in. Not everyone needs color by number. The reality is that few Kijiji test pilots test drive $100k cars. They are more interested in stuff like STI's and Type R's, etc. Stuff they want but can't quite attain.

So some combination of clairvoyance and naïveté.

Makes sense.

No skin off my back, it’s a sellers market. If you don’t want to buy my vehicle I’ll sell it to the next guy.

Pauly Boy
07-04-2022, 04:19 PM
I've only sold 3 cars over the years, but I generally try to screen out the suspect folks the same way I do on my other Kijiji/Marketplace adds.

ie: if you can't string a proper sentence together right off the bat, that's a major red flag.

Last car I had asked if they are familiar with the car in my reply and had driven one before - It was a manual and I really wanted to drive home that point to avoid having my time wasted.

heavyD
07-05-2022, 10:41 AM
So some combination of clairvoyance and naïveté.

Makes sense.

No skin off my back, it’s a sellers market. If you don’t want to buy my vehicle I’ll sell it to the next guy.

And I'll sell it to the first guy which is the ideal scenario when selling a vehicle. Less people to deal with and waste my time, the better.