PDA

View Full Version : Doorbell Cam and Security Cameras

msommers
08-11-2022, 12:08 PM
Would like to get a doorbell camera for the front door, and then a single camera for the backdoor/backyard and another for the alley.

I'd like to steer away from a subscription-based company if I can help it. Doorbell could be battery or hard-wired, other cameras I'd like to use a battery-based device for ease of placement and no wires.

What would you guys suggest, or what has been reliable for you?

killramos
08-11-2022, 12:21 PM
Do you need it to record? Because that’s what is usually wrapped in the subscription fee.

Nest Hello with no sub works great if you don’t need video history. But I don’t have any experience with the current gen one.

UniFi is good, and no sub but you need their NVR of some kind to record. Their stuff is pretty hard to get your hands on right now.

I see a lot of forum people like wyze. Which I understand are very inexpensive.

spike98
08-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Recently installed the blink system the past week as they had the 50% off deal (same as prime days) on at bestbuy. Super easy to install, cold storage back up, and can be viewed locally and clips stored (when connected to the network with the sync module) without a plan. So far so good.

DonJuan
08-11-2022, 12:49 PM
I run the Ring for front door subscription but its not required (I think). I have a Lorex wired system with HDD for recording, 4 cameras. No subscription. The Lorex cams are decent (night vision is kinda meh), the app to review the video is a little clunky but it works. viewing is best on the HDD itself which I have a monitor hooked up to. They have systems with wireless cams too, not sure how the video quality is on the wireless ones.

dj_rice
08-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Eufy ones and Wyze get my votes

colsankey
08-11-2022, 02:49 PM
Are you all broke students or something? These are all builder grade cameras.

Avigilon, Genetec or Axis are the choice of Aspen level individuals.

pf0sh0
08-11-2022, 02:51 PM
I've used the blink set up for a while as mentioned above. Can't complain

ZeroGravity
08-11-2022, 03:01 PM
For doorbells, I have a couple of Skybell HD. For cameras, I have the Arlo Pro which didn't require a subscription, and a couple of Hikvision dome POE cameras recording to my NAS.

The Arlo cameras is alright, but it stops recording at -20C for the Arlo Pro. Not sure if the newer ones are better, but I think you need a subscription for video recording on cameras after Arlo Pro 2.

If you have a ring home alarm (was on sale recently) and have their monitoring plan ($150 / year), the plan includes video recording for all their doorbells and cameras. My monthly monitoring fee on my ancient home alarm system was $16 / month. So switch to Ring alarm actually saved me some money.

eblend
08-11-2022, 04:41 PM
I don't know much about it, but I know HikVision is coming out with a door bell camera, and they already do a ton of different quality cameras and NVR and such. I'm looking at them as they also have intercom system which would be nice on my land.

mr2mike
08-11-2022, 05:13 PM
Eufy ones and Wyze get my votes

+1

killramos
08-11-2022, 05:23 PM

I didn’t even know guilgermeirmo made cameras. For shame.

Thaco
08-12-2022, 08:17 AM
Wyze is the best simple system and affordable, expandable and subscription is not required, available at home depot, the doorbell (non-pro) is wired, the pro is battery, cameras are wifi and cloud so you only need power.

DonJuan
08-12-2022, 08:23 AM

Seeing who visits your wife in 4k while you're at work is a weird flex, but ok.

killramos
08-12-2022, 08:33 AM

Even better is thinking how much you just paid that plumber to pork your wife

90_Shelby
08-12-2022, 08:57 AM
Wyze is the best simple system and affordable, expandable and subscription is not required, available at home depot, the doorbell (non-pro) is wired, the pro is battery, cameras are wifi and cloud so you only need power.

I really hate that they changed the interface to try and force you to get a subscription. It's like BMW now charging monthly for heated seats. Lame!

mr2mike
08-12-2022, 11:37 AM
I really hate that they changed the interface to try and force you to get a subscription. It's like BMW now charging monthly for heated seats. Lame!

It's annoying. Apparently a friend said he put in $0 on what he wanted to pay and it worked.

colsankey
08-12-2022, 07:45 PM

We have rules for that, she has to do it outside the house, the cameras are just to make sure the rules are followed.:drama:

msommers
08-12-2022, 07:46 PM
We talking about Aspen or Airdrie?

MOB68
10-20-2022, 11:43 AM
Do the Ring Video Doorbells work reliably in our climate if running just off the battery rather than being hardwired?
I have the Ring 3 (Costco) and was wondering if its worth it to move my wires to a better location than before (involve removing brand new metal siding and other troubles). Thx.

DonJuan
10-20-2022, 11:49 AM
Do the Ring Video Doorbells work reliably in our climate if running just off the battery rather than being hardwired?
I have the Ring 3 (Costco) and was wondering if its worth it to move my wires to a better location than before (involve removing brand new metal siding and other troubles). Thx.

Mine are hard wired off the old doorbell wiring. Really easy install BTW.

I've found that when it's really effing cold like -35, it stops recording, but still works as a doorbell. But that only happened once ever. I think they did a software update to it so it doesn't do it anymore.

rage2
10-20-2022, 12:43 PM
I went a few years with Ring, had 2 RMAs because they failed in extreme cold, hated the reliability of it. As much as I hate google, I switched to Nest Hello and it's been flawless since I switched.

That said, I hate the new nest (google home?) interface and you can't create classic Nest accounts to use with the Nest app anymore.

MOB68
10-20-2022, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think running on batteries isn't likely to be reliable over the longer term so I'll see if I can reposition the wires. Just hate making messing with the new siding.
I also bought a Ring floodlight/camera for the backyard so I'll see how it goes. I haven't yet explored if you can set up automation routines for these doorbells or cameras using an Echo or similar device but that might be my next move. Would be nice to setup some protocol to turn on other lights or send notifications only at certain times.

msommers
11-19-2022, 12:04 AM
And update to this:

I ordered a Lorex doorbell and overall quite happy with it. Doesn't work perfectly with our mechanical chime but does with the WiFi chime.

Costco had a deal on Defender Wifi Pro cams in a 3-pack that I couldn't pass up. Will report back later once I get them up and running.

mr2mike
11-19-2022, 09:52 AM
Wyze days of Xmas sales
https://ca.wyze.com/pages/early-black-friday-deals

Darell_n
11-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Wyze days of Xmas sales
https://ca.wyze.com/pages/early-black-friday-deals

Its too bad all the Canadian store gets is the old junk.