PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new bed

03ozwhip
08-12-2022, 07:34 PM
Hello. I need a new bed soon. Is there anyone here that sell mattresses still? If not, does anyone know of a reasonably priced place to go?

03ozwhip
08-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Le nothing?

G-ZUS
08-15-2022, 09:22 AM
Costco FTW, order online.

ThePenIsMightier
08-15-2022, 09:38 AM
Go see Brian at the Okotoks location of The Brick Mattress Centre and purchase a Simmons Beauty Rest.

Yes, seriously. His store is nothing like shopping at The Brick. Brian will help you buy whatever you need. It's crazy.

03ozwhip
08-15-2022, 09:58 AM
Costco FTW, order online.

This is the reason I'm buying a new mattress.

- - - Updated - - -

Go see Brian at the Okotoks location of The Brick Mattress Centre and purchase a Simmons Beauty Rest.

Yes, seriously. His store is nothing like shopping at The Brick. Brian will help you buy whatever you need. It's crazy.

Thanks I'll try him out.

G-ZUS
08-15-2022, 10:10 AM
This is the reason I'm buying a new mattress.

- - - Updated - - -

what happened? ive been through a couple mattresses from costco before i found the right one, returning was hassle free

tirebob
08-15-2022, 10:18 AM
I have to say... Endy has been a game changer for me! I have had all kinds of really decent mattresses over the years and I have never slept better than I have in my $999 king size Endy mattress. Back and hip pain no longer plagues me while laying down at all. Really quite surprised by how good it is for the cost! I ordered it on the weekend and was delivered to my shop on the Monday. Super fast and you get a 100 day try it and return it if you don't like it guarantee.

https://www.endy.com

03ozwhip
08-15-2022, 10:48 AM
I have to say... Endy has been a game changer for me! I have had all kinds of really decent mattresses over the years and I have never slept better than I have in my $999 king size Endy mattress. Back and hip pain no longer plagues me while laying down at all. Really quite surprised by how good it is for the cost! I ordered it on the weekend and was delivered to my shop on the Monday. Super fast and you get a 100 day try it and return it if you don't like it guarantee.

tirebob do they use a box spring? I have them but are they designed to be used with them? Does it matter?

- - - Updated - - -

what happened? ive been through a couple mattresses from costco before i found the right one, returning was hassle free

Both if the ones I've had were good for a couple years then I started rolling into a dip and ya it hurts to sleep.

G-ZUS
08-15-2022, 11:00 AM
tirebob do they use a box spring? I have them but are they designed to be used with them? Does it matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Both if the ones I've had were good for a couple years then I started rolling into a dip and ya it hurts to sleep.

That sucks. going on 2 years with my costco mattress. Were you able to return them after a couple years?

03ozwhip
08-15-2022, 11:07 AM
That sucks. going on 2 years with my costco mattress. Were you able to return them after a couple years?

To be honest, I've had it for quite a while now maybe 7 or 8 years I just kept sleeping in it because I couldn't afford a new mattress at the time.

gpomp
08-15-2022, 11:11 AM

I have an Endy and have been very happy with it as well.

JfuckinC
08-15-2022, 11:35 AM
+20 for endy, made my back feel 10 years younger haha..

taemo
08-15-2022, 11:58 AM
ditto on endy mattress, I was hesitant at first but now have to say it is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on.

03ozwhip
08-15-2022, 11:58 AM
+20 for endy, made my back feel 10 years younger haha..

Really that good ? Looking at sleep country the other day, I could almost not tell a difference between a $3500 mattress and a $1500 one and both had the same warranty.

Buster
08-15-2022, 12:00 PM
https://blacksheepmattress.com/

pheoxs
08-15-2022, 12:08 PM
I bought a Saatva mattress a while back, 5 or 6 years I guess and really love it. However it was 700usd for a Queen at the time and now they're ~1500. I get covid inflation is high but probably wouldn't recommend it anymore at that price and would go elsewhere for cheaper. It is a really great mattress though.

suntan
08-15-2022, 12:24 PM
I bought a Kingsdown at Sleep Country. Works great. Not expensive.

You don’t need a box spring. Slats work well and will soften the bed.

What I have discovered is that as I’ve gotten older, I need a plusher mattress.

max_boost
08-15-2022, 12:25 PM
Interesting. I can not do the foam thing, tried laying on one and just nope.

suntan
08-15-2022, 12:25 PM
I bought a Saatva mattress a while back, 5 or 6 years I guess and really love it. However it was 700usd for a Queen at the time and now they're ~1500. I get covid inflation is high but probably wouldn't recommend it anymore at that price and would go elsewhere for cheaper. It is a really great mattress though.
These things always go on sale. Regular price is utterly meaningless.

pheoxs
08-15-2022, 12:28 PM
These things always go on sale. Regular price is utterly meaningless.

Yes and no. They basically have a 200-300$ sale always on. 1500 is the 'on sale' price. It never actually dips below that.

suntan
08-15-2022, 12:30 PM
Yes and no. They basically have a 200-300$ sale always on. 1500 is the 'on sale' price. It never actually dips below that.
Looks like they’re only online, and they’ve stopped shipping to Canada.

msommers
08-15-2022, 12:38 PM
Interesting. I can not do the foam thing, tried laying on one and just nope.

Same. We went to Sleep Boutique where they do a foam base or pocket coils in nearly identical configurations and I couldn't get in to it. But if that's what you're used to sleeping on for such a long time, it will take some time to open up to a fully foam bed (so I'm told).

03ozwhip
08-15-2022, 01:42 PM
Same. We went to Sleep Boutique where they do a foam base or pocket coils in nearly identical configurations and I couldn't get in to it. But if that's what you're used to sleeping on for such a long time, it will take some time to open up to a fully foam bed (so I'm told).

I guess thats why they have a 100 day guarantee

jwslam
08-15-2022, 02:40 PM
https://blacksheepmattress.com/
Got a split king with 1&4 firmnesses. No complaints.

ThePenIsMightier
08-15-2022, 03:42 PM
Lexi is a decent bed-in-a-box option as I bought those for a vacation place. I assume it's about the same idea as Endy, but I'm not sure.

tirebob
08-15-2022, 05:02 PM

We have ours on a boxspring but you can put them on a slatted base as well. I guess you could just lay it on a solid surface (like floor) too but I think it works better with the base having that slight bit of give.

And yes, that good. I have a broken down body like nobodies business and I can honestly say I feel no pain sleeping with this mattress at all! I never thought it was possible, but quality for dollar, just fucking do it.

ExtraSlow
08-15-2022, 05:40 PM
I had a similar thread maybe six months ago. Never did buy that mattress. Probably time to get on that, but didn't decide which one. I like foam, but I don't love the non-breathability of memory foam and certainly don't like gel.

JfuckinC
08-16-2022, 12:34 PM
ya i'm with Bob, i said the same thing to him when he was asking and wasn't exaggerating. The endy literally changed my day to day mobility (i'm not even 35, scary to have to say that). Keep in mind I'm tall and heavy so i think having the extra support really made the difference. May not be as comfortable if you don't weigh as much. I had to get the firm topper to help too though. (free from them).

I'm also lucky, my wife is like the opposite of the princess and the pea... she could sleep on a gravel pad :rofl:

pheoxs
08-16-2022, 12:44 PM
We have ours on a boxspring but you can put them on a slatted base as well. I guess you could just lay it on a solid surface (like floor) too but I think it works better with the base having that slight bit of give.

Not sure on the foam mattresses specifically as I haven't had one, but most traditional mattresses need some kind of breathability under the mattress. I think because people sweat during the night or something. Should always have something under it with either gaps (slats) or a box spring. Even a box spring on the ground is fine.

suntan
08-16-2022, 01:27 PM
I have a Juno foam mattress in the trailer, it breathes just fine. I’ve been happy with it, a touch too firm maybe.

03ozwhip
12-05-2022, 11:40 AM
Update. I bought an endy. It hurts both wife and I back like no other. Maybe too firm? Today I ordered the mattress topper, so we will try that out and report back.

bjstare
12-05-2022, 11:49 AM
We have a zinus green tea or some such thing in one of our spare rooms. Periodically one of us will sleep there with a sick kid or something, and the consistent feedback from both of us is that it's comfortable, and way too hot. I assume it doesn't breathe at all.

When it comes time for a replacement bed for our master, we'll probably pony up for something from black sheep. There's zero chance I'm going to use a bed in a box for my daily driver.

03ozwhip
12-05-2022, 11:58 AM
We have a zinus green tea or some such thing in one of our spare rooms. Periodically one of us will sleep there with a sick kid or something, and the consistent feedback from both of us is that it's comfortable, and way too hot. I assume it doesn't breathe at all.

When it comes time for a replacement bed for our master, we'll probably pony up for something from black sheep. There's zero chance I'm going to use a bed in a box for my daily driver.

I'm ok to try things, but im not ok to spend 2500 or more on a mattress that I can't try out for a period of time. I've had pretty much only shitty mattresses and so I honestly don't know what it is that I need.

The 100 day trial endy gives is definitely worth it for a person that only spends a week at a time in the bed. I should probably look at what my camp bed is, that is surprisingly good lol

tirebob
12-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Update. I bought an endy. It hurts both wife and I back like no other. Maybe too firm? Today I ordered the mattress topper, so we will try that out and report back.

For me it is the only mattress I have found that doesn't hurt my back... Super weird hey? I like the firmness and was actually really surprised by that as I never thought I would. Just goes to show that no one thing fits all.

jwslam
12-05-2022, 12:17 PM
something from black sheep.
2 years in. Still love ours.

We got the king hybrid
1 on my side, 4 on hers.

ExtraSlow
12-05-2022, 12:19 PM
Mattresses preferences are so individualized it's really hard to take recommendations. Very scary to buy something you may not like, and the "sleep guarantee" is not always very good, as you will have gotten rid of your old mattress, usually, so even if you got your money back, you have nowhere to sleep.

JordanLotoski
12-05-2022, 12:25 PM
As above..ENDY

03ozwhip
12-05-2022, 12:31 PM
Mattresses preferences are so individualized it's really hard to take recommendations. Very scary to buy something you may not like, and the "sleep guarantee" is not always very good, as you will have gotten rid of your old mattress, usually, so even if you got your money back, you have nowhere to sleep.

Ya I actually put my old mattress in the spare room for the time being while i decide what it's like. They can't fool me.

Clever
12-05-2022, 11:44 PM
We tried both Endy and Douglas, returned the Endy and no complaints with Douglas in the last 18 months we’ve owned it.

03ozwhip
01-22-2023, 09:21 AM
Update. Endy got returned. Kept the topper for now, but that might go back too. Will report back lol

- - - Updated - - -

We tried both Endy and Douglas, returned the Endy and no complaints with Douglas in the last 18 months we’ve owned it.

Maybe ill take a look at Douglas.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2023, 10:43 AM
If you hate foam as much as I do, you can't go wrong with an Ikea spring mattress. I've had people ask about what kind of guest bed they slept in because it was so comfy for them. Ours is the firm one, and the guest room has medium firm.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/haugesund-spring-mattress-firm-dark-beige-60307295/#content

03ozwhip
01-22-2023, 01:11 PM
If you hate foam as much as I do, you can't go wrong with an Ikea spring mattress. I've had people ask about what kind of guest bed they slept in because it was so comfy for them. Ours is the firm one, and the guest room has medium firm.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/haugesund-spring-mattress-firm-dark-beige-60307295/#content

That's cheap too. Interesting.

jutes
03-11-2023, 03:32 PM
Update. Endy got returned. Kept the topper for now, but that might go back too. Will report back lol

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe ill take a look at Douglas.

Any updates? Looking at an Endy or Douglas.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2023, 03:40 PM
Anyone bought a purple? I'm a sweaty beast, so need airflow. Seems like lots of these use gel to keep you cool, but I sweat when I'm cold tool, so I'll just be clammy. Airflow very key.

Buster
03-11-2023, 03:48 PM
Latex

Tik-Tok
03-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Latex

Keep that in "the room"

Anyone bought a purple? I'm a sweaty beast, so need airflow. Seems like lots of these use gel to keep you cool, but I sweat when I'm cold tool, so I'll just be clammy. Airflow very key.

There's no such thing as a "cool" foam mattress, gel just keeps it cooler than non-gel, but still not as chill as a normal regular oldschool spring mattress.

03ozwhip
03-11-2023, 04:10 PM

I kept the topper, pretty decent but not great.

jwslam
03-12-2023, 08:53 AM
what's the best bang-for-buck firm twin sized comes-in-a-roll mattress?
looks like $699 endy is OOS

ExtraSlow
03-12-2023, 09:28 AM
Ikea.

suntan
03-12-2023, 10:21 AM
Juno's twin is $399. I have a king size in the RV, works well.

BokCh0y
03-12-2023, 10:50 AM
We have a Bloom in the RV and it works well too. $399 as well for the twin like suntan Juno suggestion.

max_boost
03-12-2023, 10:58 AM

Not a fan of the foam. They had Casper at the bay and I laid on them and it was immediate no. I remember they had 3/4/5 layers and all no.

Firm Pocket coil for life. Maybe it’s an asian thing. In Asia some sleep on the floor :nut:

tha_bandit
03-13-2023, 01:30 PM
Not a fan of the foam. They had Casper at the bay and I laid on them and it was immediate no. I remember they had 3/4/5 layers and all no.

Firm Pocket coil for life. Maybe it’s an asian thing. In Asia some sleep on the floor :nut:

firm pocket coil here, +1 for another asian, black friday was best deals. casper original pillow is great tho!

jutes
03-13-2023, 01:32 PM
What mattress is best for white dude from eastern europe?

ExtraSlow
03-13-2023, 01:36 PM
Goathair

ThePenIsMightier
03-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Goathair

The one-hit wonder started making mattresses, now??!

"You didn't have to cut me off.
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing!
And I don't even need your love,
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough."

ExtraSlow
03-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Don't talk shit about Gauthier.

ThePenIsMightier
03-13-2023, 02:42 PM
Gotcha.