PDA

View Full Version : Stupid NewB question

CrisVA
04-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Alright, stupid newb question here.

I just got a hold of a Rockford 10" sub. Is there any way I can install this in my car WITHOUT having to buy an amp? I got it for free, so I'd like to spend as little money on this as possible, being I like to spend money on my motorcycles, not my car. I have a 98 Imprezza if it makes a difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you for bearing with the stupid newb.

Thanks.

ThE tV 8 mE
04-04-2004, 12:35 PM
well..you COULD run it off deck power, but that's got to be the stupidest idea ever. No, I'd say look around for a used 200w amp or something. just something little. $75 or so. should be fine. Do you have a box yet?

CrisVA
04-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Im working on making one out of particle board, with 1.75 ft3 (what the directions suggested). Im putting that on hold until I can get a hold of an amp now though.

Weapon_R
04-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Particle board is crap for sub enclosures. If you're on a budget, get a sheet of 1/4" MDF from any hardware store and do it yourself.

Also, look on the board for some older amplifiers. I remember some guy selling a couple of low end ones for around 30 dollars or so.

You cannot power a sub without an amp and expect it to sound good, or even remotely decent.

Mckenzie
04-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Particle board is crap for sub enclosures. If you're on a budget, get a sheet of 1/4" MDF from any hardware store and do it yourself.

Also, look on the board for some older amplifiers. I remember some guy selling a couple of low end ones for around 30 dollars or so.

You cannot power a sub without an amp and expect it to sound good, or even remotely decent.

:werd:

With the power that the sub draws, you will be whining about why your deck is sizzling and it sounds like shit. The sub will fry your deck and then you will have to spend more dough $$ on a new one.....just spend the $150 for a cheap used amp from cash converters and a wiring kit and you will be fine. Real power will give you the little bit of low end that will compliment the rest of your stereo.

CrisVA
04-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your help :) This is exactly what I needed to know.

micheal.m
04-05-2004, 12:23 AM
I've got a PG QX90.2 for sale..it's been sitting around, not sure how much these goe for now..throw me a price if your interested.