PDA

View Full Version : A thank you gift to a construction crew?

eblend
09-01-2022, 02:10 PM
Hi guys,

So the guys building my house have been busting balls in this crazy 30+ heat every day, and I want to treat them somehow. I will be out on site tomorrow all day doing other things, and it's a great opportunity for me to somehow say thanks. Looking for some ideas.

I was thinking Coffee/Donuts in the morning....or maybe pickup some cold beers in the afternoon (not sure about alcohol..).

Given that it's hot as balls, something cold might be nice, but I have no power or cooler out there, so whatever is bought can't just melt. Looking for some ideas. I really don't know anything about these guys, what they like or don't, so something generic is probably best. It's usually two guys in their late 40s, and sometimes one of their sons and another younger guy, but lately it's just the two older gentlemen.

ExtraSlow
09-01-2022, 02:11 PM
Hookers.

eblend
09-01-2022, 02:12 PM
Hookers.

I figured that would be the first response haha

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-01-2022, 02:15 PM
I’d get a Trackhawk for each guy.

JRSC00LUDE
09-01-2022, 02:18 PM
Don't take alcohol. Period.

Take a cooler of cold drinks. If you're going in the morning tell them lunch is on you and order from wherever.

88CRX
09-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Booze will be a bad time when someone falls off a ladder and breaks their back (regardless of whether they were drunk or not).

Cooler of cold drinks and lunch like Cool-Lude said.

msommers
09-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Lunch is a good call. Peppinos would be easy enough for you

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-01-2022, 02:21 PM
Food, donuts, coffee, iced caps, gift cards

riander5
09-01-2022, 02:23 PM
Dear E blend, how did you become so rich

ExtraSlow
09-01-2022, 02:24 PM
Cold drinks and good quality sandwiches around lunchtime and enough ice and more cold drinks to keep then hydrated for the afternoon.

zechs
09-01-2022, 02:30 PM

Take a cooler of cold drinks. If you're going in the morning tell them lunch is on you and order from wherever.

This. And keep it light.

But the cooler full of cold drinks is the big one. And don't half ass it, have those bitches chilled over night before throwing them in a cooler full of ice.

killramos
09-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Gift cards

tonytiger55
09-01-2022, 02:38 PM

This or give them a case of beer at the end of the day.

eblend
09-01-2022, 02:53 PM
This. And keep it light.

But the cooler full of cold drinks is the big one. And don't half ass it, have those bitches chilled over night before throwing them in a cooler full of ice.

Thanks guys. A few mentioned cool drinks, so gonna go and grab a bunch of variety of stuff tonight, get them cold in the fridge overnight, and then flood it with freshly bought ice in the morning and pickup some donuts as well. As I have to head out early in the afternoon for a bit, I will grab some beers and give them to the guys at the end of the day. The intention with alcohol was always to be end of day, sorry I should have been more clear. Don't need them drunk while building my house, or getting hurt :D

pheoxs
09-01-2022, 02:58 PM
Yeah don't bring drinks during the day. Even if they save them for later, you never know if someone from the office shows up and sees a case of beer they could get in shit.

I'd say cooler full of some gatorade / powerade and other cold drinks would be best. Maybe a pizza or two if its near lunch time.

max_boost
09-01-2022, 03:18 PM

Yes exactly bro lol how you get here?

I say go get a stack of $100 bills and hand them out :D

Cash is my love language

roopi
09-01-2022, 03:21 PM
The intention with alcohol was always to be end of day, sorry I should have been more clear. Don't need them drunk while building my house, or getting hurt :D

Nothing like some beers for the drive home.

ThePenIsMightier
09-01-2022, 03:39 PM
Dry tuggies, with intense eye contact.

JRSC00LUDE
09-01-2022, 04:08 PM
I will grab some beers and give them to the guys at the end of the day. The intention with alcohol was always to be end of day, sorry I should have been more clear. Don't need them drunk while building my house, or getting hurt :D

You have no idea how many times the case of beer for "after work" from a client gets dummied by 2 guys before they leave the site. It's an unnecessary gamble of a liability risk, albeit a nice gesture. If you want to do that, give them a GC to a liquor store instead.

msommers
09-01-2022, 04:22 PM
Exactly. There's a reason everyone gets cab vouchers for company events vs. "find your own way home." Liability is huge.

eblend
09-01-2022, 04:23 PM
You have no idea how many times the case of beer for "after work" from a client gets dummied by 2 guys before they leave the site. It's an unnecessary gamble of a liability risk, albeit a nice gesture. If you want to do that, give them a GC to a liquor store instead.

Guess that's true. I don't drink myself haha, so I don't know much about peoples behaviors with alcohol.

Yes exactly bro lol how you get here?

I'm not rich by any stretch of imagination. By Beyond standards I'm basically scrapping the bottom of the barrel, but I will play along. 1. Be Cheap 2. Don't drink 3. Profit

msommers
09-01-2022, 04:29 PM
Be a talented IT consultant as well?

arcticcat522
09-01-2022, 07:36 PM

So much this ^^ all of it.

firebane
09-01-2022, 07:48 PM
Cheap pizza and cold drinks always works.

It easy that way because you don't know who can be picky and makes everyone happy.

Donuts were brought in for us yesterday end of day and it was glorious.

Kloubek
09-01-2022, 09:18 PM
Hookers.

...and blow.

jwslam
09-01-2022, 09:54 PM
I'm not rich by any stretch of imagination. By Beyond standards I'm basically scrapping the bottom of the barrel, but I will play along. 1. Be Cheap 2. Don't drink 3. Profit
Be careful with how little you tip when you get called big hands compared to the small hands Mean Girls...

SKR
09-02-2022, 05:43 AM
What I did for rig crews that I liked is buy a cheap cooler from Walmart, fill it with Gatorade bottles and ice, and then get buckets of KFC. If it's hot outside the drinks don't need to be so cold you can't drink them, and everyone can eat KFC at any time.

Pizza is good too but chicken doesn't need paper plates, and I'd say pizza worth eating does.

I'd buy a cheap enough cooler that you can afford for them to keep it.

Swank
09-02-2022, 09:50 AM
For best results, ask in the 'tipping' thread.

eblend
09-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Hi guys,

So ended up just getting a big cooler full of Gatorade, pop, juices, starbucks cold coffees ect, flooded with ice, as well as 6 donuts and 6 muffins, and the guys were super appreciative. It was only the two of them, but they did a number on the cooler and got about 50% drunk. I told them to take the rest home but they didn't want to, but they ate all the donuts and muffins. Overall I think it was good as it was super hot and they had a continuous stream of cold drinks. I will do it again sometime when I can get out there. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I like the idea of Pizza or KFC, will do that next time.

ThePenIsMightier
09-03-2022, 05:34 PM
Two dudes ate 6 donuts + 6 muffins¿?!!¡

eblend
09-03-2022, 05:48 PM
Two dudes ate 6 donuts + 6 muffins¿?!!¡

Think they took them home. When I told them to take drinks home for their kids ect, they said it's fine, and they said they just took the donuts/muffins home.

ThePenIsMightier
09-03-2022, 05:53 PM
Think they took them home. When I told them to take drinks home for their kids ect, they said it's fine, and they said they just took the donuts/muffins home.

I prefer to think that you hired Day Labourers that you packed from a fat camp...
Just let me have this.

killramos
09-03-2022, 06:05 PM
I was was labouring all day in the heat I’d have no problem Dummying a case of donuts. And I don’t even like donuts.

:rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-03-2022, 06:56 PM
That time I did real physical labour outdoors in the summer yeah I coukd have eaten 6 doughnuts no problem.

mr2mike
09-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Large Slushes would be a good one.

Food/sandwiches suck because people plan their meals usually.
Unless you give them the heads up the day before.

Also asking about food allergies is good.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-04-2022, 06:33 PM
That time I did real physical labour outdoors in the summer yeah I coukd have eaten 6 doughnuts no problem.

Yep. When I was doing seasonal work @ Urban X for Bob, I could dummy away 3-4000 calories during a shift, go home and eat an entire pizza, and still drop a few lbs.

firebane
09-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Large Slushes would be a good one.

Food/sandwiches suck because people plan their meals usually.
Unless you give them the heads up the day before.

Also asking about food allergies is good.

Slushies melt way to fast and then you have watered down sugar bleh.

mr2mike
09-05-2022, 02:58 PM
Slushies melt way to fast and then you have watered down sugar bleh.

Just figured this rich OP has a Yeti cooler to transport them in.

eblend
09-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Just figured this rich OP has a Yeti cooler to transport them in.

WTF, where did this rich sh*t come from haha, why is everyone busting my balls about this.

But yes, I do have a YETI cooler haha, but I didn't buy it, not that stupid, but I won this from a LinkedIn giveaway from Zerto, so I got the tumbler to go along with it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVLtmBTUMAUgunm.jpg

And no, I gave them a cheap Walmart one, it's bigger :D