PDA

View Full Version : Alberta to change licences come spring

jampack
09-27-2022, 09:43 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/9158691/alberta-licence-change-spring-2022/

Sorry everyone, I'd be honest, I've been waiting for this for the last 18 years. LOL.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 09:58 AM
Reduced red tape works for me. I have a kid turning 14 next year.

killramos
09-27-2022, 10:01 AM
As a corollary to this.

Can we revoke, like, way more peoples licenses?

Traffic cops should have a quota for license revocations.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 10:08 AM
Can we get the sheriffs out there giving out more dangerous driving tickets, running a red light etc, and not missing a single court date?
Fewer larger tickets should be revenue neutral-ish. And hell, I'm not against traffic fine revenue. I love voluntary taxation.

16hypen3sp
09-27-2022, 10:16 AM
No class 4 road test? So just a knowledge test?

I know lots of people still on GDL so this is good news for them.

SJW
09-27-2022, 10:20 AM
Can we get the sheriffs out there giving out more dangerous driving tickets, running a red light etc, and not missing a single court date?
Fewer larger tickets should be revenue neutral-ish. And hell, I'm not against traffic fine revenue. I love voluntary taxation.

People should just get the fuck outta my way.

Manhattan
09-27-2022, 10:24 AM
My 19 year gamble has finally paid off. Nice tidy profit of 150 bones baby! :clap:

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 10:26 AM
My 19 year gamble has finally paid off. Nice tidy profit of 150 bones baby! :clap:

zechs
09-27-2022, 10:26 AM

Red light tickets should only be if the province standardizes red light times. Fucking Edmonton is crazy, the lights go from green to red in a heartbeat.

But dangerous driving needs to be the focus. I saw a paddywagon officer pull someone over for driving like a complete retard and he was like yelling at them for some stupid shit they pulled. Was a beautiful thing.

shakalaka
09-27-2022, 10:40 AM
So people with GDL that never bothered with the 'full' license will now automatically get one?

killramos
09-27-2022, 10:42 AM
So people with GDL that never bothered with the 'full' license will now automatically get one?

The program is going away. So yea.

firebane
09-27-2022, 10:58 AM
So what are corporations going to implement instead? Many places wouldn't hire drivers with GDL licenses but since that is gone... now what?

And now it seems I can get my Class 4 without a road test so.. why not?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-27-2022, 10:58 AM
Fuck $150 wasted a decade ago.

BokCh0y
09-27-2022, 11:02 AM

Yeeee this is great news as my wife has had her GDL for 5 years and doesn't want to do the 2nd test. Saves us $150 too haha.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 11:08 AM
So what are corporations going to implement instead? They'll have to just say no learners permit, must be a minimum age (usually 18) and probably have to go back to reviewing drivers abstract.

jampack
09-27-2022, 11:14 AM

So I don't think it's "going away". It's taking a revamp which I think what may happen is that they will just get rid of the advanced road test. You will still have probationary period of 2 years after you pass your Class 5 and that on the 2nd year, you'll have to not get any tickets or violations to get fully licensed after. You just won't have to do advanced road test. If you do get ticket, they can extend your probational period. So it seems like there will still be GDL of some sort.

At least that's how I understood it from the article. I honestly think that makes more sense.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 11:16 AM
2 years from learners permit at 14, orrrrrr?

16hypen3sp
09-27-2022, 11:19 AM
So what are corporations going to implement instead? Many places wouldn't hire drivers with GDL licenses but since that is gone... now what?

And now it seems I can get my Class 4 without a road test so.. why not?

This whole change is quite interesting.

The Class 4 change was done to attract more rideshare competition. You need to still do an enhanced knowledge test, drivers medical and vision test. Every time you renew your license, you'd need to complete those requirements, just like now.

An additional road test will no longer be mandatory to obtain a Class 4 driver’s licence, which is required to transport passengers in taxis, ride-share vehicles, limousines, small buses and ambulances. An enhanced knowledge test, driver medical and vision test will still be required to obtain a Class 4 licence. With this change, Alberta’s government hopes to attract more competition to the ride-sharing industry.

Also, you have to be 12 month violation free in order to upgrade.

AB Gov news release here:
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=84678F84E0604-E7ED-877B-955F92FBC073BA66

jampack
09-27-2022, 11:19 AM
2 years from learners permit at 14, orrrrrr?

2 Years from passing and getting Class 5.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2022, 11:22 AM
no tickets for 12 months before getting out of GDL. guess I will be on my best behavior until then... or plead not guilty for something and hope it doesn't show up until after the spring.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 11:23 AM
Ahhh, I didn't understand. So GDL will still exist, but it "graduates" to regular class 5 automatically after the 2 year time period?

Manhattan
09-27-2022, 11:25 AM
In all seriousness, $150 compounded at 10% (assuming you put it into an index fund) over 19 years is now over $800. That's a good chunk of change.

schocker
09-27-2022, 11:25 AM
no tickets for 12 months before getting out of GDL. guess I will be on my best behavior until then... or plead not guilty for something and hope it doesn't show up until after the spring.
It should just be for the final year of probation so you should be good

GDL drivers must have no suspensions or traffic violations within their last 12 months of probation, including zero tolerance for any alcohol and/or drug consumption.
This is kind of what it should have always been.

I've been waiting for this for 16 years though and finally it paid off.

jampack
09-27-2022, 11:28 AM

So I think the no ticket part only applies if you're still in the probationary period. So after getting class 5, you have 2 year probationary period. On the 2nd year, you need to make sure you don't get any violations.

I don't think it'll matter anymore if you've been a GDL for the last 19 years lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh, I didn't understand. So GDL will still exist, but it "graduates" to regular class 5 automatically after the 2 year time period?

From their statement, sounds like it yes.

In all seriousness, $150 compounded at 10% (assuming you put it into an index fund) over 19 years is now over $800. That's a good chunk of change.

Haha true.

Tik-Tok
09-27-2022, 11:42 AM
I don't care one way or the other about the GDL, but this quote from the article made me laugh.

They have to be on probation for two years, so those two years should sort out if there are any issues with those drivers, whether it’s traffic violations or drug and alcohol.

Yep, two years of not getting caught totally straightens new drivers out.

max_boost
09-27-2022, 11:52 AM
Can we test/retest old ppl instead. Lots of money there for sure

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Buster isn't going to like that extra hassle.

firebane
09-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Can we test/retest old ppl instead. Lots of money there for sure

I saw a guy get out of a car and almost fell over. Grabbed his can and could hardly walk with it.

If you can barely walk with a cane how can you possibly think you can or should be driving.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 11:57 AM
In all seriousness, old people may be shitty drivers, but most of them don't drive much, and consequently the total accidents are not high.

max_boost
09-27-2022, 11:58 AM
In all seriousness, old people may be shitty drivers, but most of them don't drive much, and consequently the total accidents are not high.

Is that a good argument. I’m not sure.

mr2mike
09-27-2022, 12:19 PM

In my opinion, insurance for poor driver's isn't high enough. I recall in high school, some people not being able to afford insurance due to too many infractions and had to put their car away for a bit or get a motorbike.
Appears this rarely happens anymore. You can't tell me a new to Canada driver can afford high insurance after a few accidents?

This would reduce the idiot moves I see on a daily basis and I don't even drive that much.

flipstah
09-27-2022, 01:02 PM

With inflation, that's sorta a win?

msommers
09-27-2022, 01:11 PM
To think of all those that failed the road test and had to pay more than once LOL

My wife finally got hers last month since I've been bugging her for so long. Looks like dinner is on me soon :rofl:

shakalaka
09-27-2022, 01:48 PM
Yea my wife never got her full GDL after getting the initial one like 15 yrs ago. I kept telling her to go get the official one but never bothered. I guess she doesn't have to now.

bjstare
09-27-2022, 02:42 PM
To think of all those that failed the road test and had to pay more than once LOL

My wife finally got hers last month since I've been bugging her for so long. Looks like dinner is on me soon :rofl:

You keep finances separate from your spouse?

trollface.jpg

vengie
09-27-2022, 02:50 PM
I'd like to see mandatory retesting every 5 years.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 02:57 PM
and snipers.

vengie
09-27-2022, 03:03 PM
Always snipers, kids these days are too cocky

Doozer
09-27-2022, 03:13 PM
One other side effect - those on GDL can't drive with a learner. Have to have a full license. A lot of those GDLs will get flipped and now be legally allowed to supervise their kids, spouses, etc, as learners.

This is the situation with my neighbors, the hubby has a GDL (unsure how long he's had it, but more than 2yrs), and wife just got her learners. She couldn't even drive with him so they had to pay for drivers training just to get her behind the wheel. Conversely, I've already been out with my 14yr old and didn't have to pay a dime to get him some wheel time.

As someone who got my license back in the early 90s before any sort of GDL, it's pretty crazy to think that I got my full license on the day of my 16th birthday and was driving around from then on with absolutely no different rules than anyone else.

killramos
09-27-2022, 03:24 PM
It’s not like the GDL had any real different rules anyway.

The whole program was a joke, that’s why no one upgraded.

vengie
09-27-2022, 03:39 PM
The people who didn't bother to get their non GDL are the same people who don't return their shopping carts to the corral.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2022, 03:41 PM
65% of people don't return their carts to the corral?

mr2mike
09-27-2022, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised how many GDL driver's we have here.
Figured most of you had a license before this happened.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2022, 04:48 PM
Damned kids.

SKR
09-27-2022, 06:21 PM

Being able to look down on adult-aged people with a child's license is worth more than $800 though.

CompletelyNumb
09-27-2022, 06:34 PM

:thumbsup:

We need stricter controls to getting a drivers license (and keeping it) in Canada.

Mandatory testing. Mandatory defensive driving course. Mandatory winter driving course.

suntan
09-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Let's be honest it's just us coloured folks that need the extra training.

Misterman
09-27-2022, 07:13 PM
As a corollary to this.

Can we revoke, like, way more peoples licenses?

Traffic cops should have a quota for license revocations.

As long as it's correlated pretty strongly to real issues. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of perfectly safe drivers losing their licenses for 20km/h over the limit fines. But if you can't use turn signals, can't stay off FB, can't merge at adequate highway speed, etc. Yeah fuck ya then, you can use Uber to get around.

killramos
09-27-2022, 07:17 PM
I had the misfortune of being in Edmonton all weekend, and watched someone drive 3 blocks against active traffic the wrong way down gateway.

That person should never drive again.

That sort of thing.

Oh. And the dignleberries who stop with their hazards on in the no stopping lane DT today while a line do cars is honking at them. That person might warrant some level of torture as well.

Misterman
09-27-2022, 07:26 PM

No kidding. Everyone talking about 15 years this and that. I'm like "WTF? Didn't GDL just come out 5 years ago?" Didn't have none of that in 1996.

redline
09-27-2022, 07:31 PM
Let's be honest it's just us coloured folks that need the extra training.

That’s racist …

redline
09-27-2022, 07:34 PM
:thumbsup:

We need stricter controls to getting a drivers license (and keeping it) in Canada.

Mandatory testing. Mandatory defensive driving course. Mandatory winter driving course.

This …

But I sense if this happened there would be freedom protests every 20mins

vengie
09-27-2022, 07:44 PM
Driving is a privelage, not a right.

mr2mike
09-27-2022, 07:58 PM

Too many seem to have that privelage without respecting what they have.
I'd love a license plate societal score. Enough people ding you with points within a certain period of time. License gone!
Everyone only gets 10pts a month to doll out to morons on the road.
Basically a group vote.

jwslam
09-27-2022, 08:32 PM
65% of people don't return their carts to the corral?
That number is stupidly low unless Costco was excluded as an extremity

zechs
09-27-2022, 08:32 PM
it's pretty crazy to think that I got my full license on the day of my 16th birthday and was driving around from then on with absolutely no different rules than anyone else.

Why?

shakalaka
09-28-2022, 12:48 PM

I vividly remember back in 2003 when this law was first announced, I had just turned 16 and I got my regular license some 8 days before the change was to come into place. lol

Type_S1
09-28-2022, 06:24 PM
That’s racist …

I don’t know how this anecdotal data correlates and am not suggesting anything, however, in my experience the large majority of the time someone is driving like a complete retard on Deerfoot they end up exiting on McKnight Eastbound.

In regards to the GDL, good - the whole idea of a GDL was stupid anyways. They just need to have much stronger restrictions to who actually obtains a license and also for who keeps licenses.

jampack
09-29-2022, 04:33 PM
I vividly remember back in 2003 when this law was first announced, I had just turned 16 and I got my regular license some 8 days before the change was to come into place. lol

I was in a different boat in a way that I got my license a couple of weeks AFTER the change. I was around same age but it didn't really matter to me as I just wanted to pass and get my license lol.

The GDL letters on the license won't matter to me until my son turns 14 which is not for another 6 years. It is stupid because you can still drive anywhere, in the US and other countries. No one knows about this GDL except Albertans lol.

heavyD
09-30-2022, 08:44 AM

And drivers need to be more aware of the responsibilities of driving. A lot of today's drivers are negligent. I'm not the oldest person here but I have been driving since the early 90's and drivers are worse today than they have ever been.

OTown
10-02-2022, 11:21 PM

This.

gmc72
10-03-2022, 10:12 AM
And drivers need to be more aware of the responsibilities of driving. A lot of today's drivers are negligent. I'm not the oldest person here but I have been driving since the early 90's and drivers are worse today than they have ever been.

QFT. I was out on my bike yesterday and almost got sideswiped, rear ended and had a minivan pull up beside me waiting at a light.

D'z Nutz
10-03-2022, 10:46 AM

It blows my mind how many people are unaware they can turn on a red. It blows my mind even more when I honk at them and they can't figure out why.

Xtrema
10-03-2022, 10:51 AM
Well unlike Ontario, there is 0 insurance incentive to get off GDL here. Money talks.

suntan
10-03-2022, 01:46 PM
It blows my mind how many people are unaware they can turn on a red. It blows my mind even more when I honk at them and they can't figure out why.

They're from Quebec.

ExtraSlow
10-03-2022, 01:47 PM
snipers.

DonJuan
10-03-2022, 02:03 PM
All these fuckin' 08's and their GDLs

dirtsniffer
04-10-2023, 11:32 AM
'08 GDL checking in...

Stop by a registry to get your non-GDL license, or wait until July for it to happen automatically.

https://www.alberta.ca/changes-to-driver-licensing-system.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0uIgs_rCsSqg07X4EN75XvFqWOBFRNnjmX5RaiFAPzsZF0K0mjM3RUdVI

suntan
04-10-2023, 11:43 AM
Oldest did the new test. 45 mins long and $150 now.

schurchill39
04-11-2023, 02:17 PM
Now can we standardize the cost of a medical exam for us Class 1 people so its not a coin flip if I'm paying $100 or $200 for the same piece of paper thats says I don't have diabetes and an see good.