PDA

View Full Version : Elon Musk Unveils Tesla “friendly” Robot

sabad66
09-30-2022, 07:13 PM
Figured I would start this thread before ZenOps does so we can actually have some discussion on this cool tech

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/09/30/elon-musk-tesla-bot/

I for one hope these become mainstream. Would be cool to have one of these at home to cut my lawn, grab me a beer, serve my food, etc

killramos
09-30-2022, 07:14 PM
Pass,

You know how cheap humans can be?

Yolobimmer
09-30-2022, 07:19 PM
Maybe the robots can drive better than their cars.

suntan
09-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Does it have self cleaning orifices?

Xtrema
10-05-2022, 10:39 AM
Does it have self cleaning orifices?

Make it disposable orifices unless you care about the environment. The Japanese has already figured this out.

vengie
10-05-2022, 10:49 AM
Build a robot who can be a personal chef and sign me up.

zechs
10-05-2022, 09:40 PM
Build a robot who can be a personal chef and sign me up.

I like cooking. Cleaning the house, f that.

I'll never own a robot though. Between wanting to be on their good side when the singularity occurs and the immediate privacy issues, I'll never have one.

vengie
10-05-2022, 09:49 PM
Relevant

Kloubek
10-06-2022, 08:20 AM
Maybe the robots can drive better than their cars.

I know this was a jokelike comment, but according to a study by Cambridge Mobile Telematics, Tesla owners were 50% *less* likely to crash their cars than the industry average. I'm not sure what part of that lower number is due to the driver aids, and how much is due to autopilot, but it supports the argument that high-technology cars with their autopilot system are really quite safe.

...hence our "bad drivers" thread...

killramos
10-06-2022, 08:35 AM
Are Tesla drivers statistically similar to the general population of drivers?

Becuase it Tesla drivers are say, on average, much better drivers than the average. Those statistics become pretty meaningless.

S-FLY
10-06-2022, 09:02 AM
I know this was a jokelike comment, but according to a study by Cambridge Mobile Telematics, Tesla owners were 50% *less* likely to crash their cars than the industry average. I'm not sure what part of that lower number is due to the driver aids, and how much is due to autopilot, but it supports the argument that high-technology cars with their autopilot system are really quite safe.

...hence our "bad drivers" thread...

I can tell you from first hand experience owning a Tesla that the driver aids were definitely helpful (like pre-collision), but they're not proprietary to Tesla.
The autosteering was handy, but I also had a Hyundai Venue rental car recently that also had that.
My Tesla on cruise control (ie. autopilot beta/autosteering not enabled) slammed on the brakes randomly on the highway coming back from Edmonton for absolutely no reason. If someone was behind me, there'd be a good chance that would have caused an accident. I googled it later and it's a known things with Tesla's which is coined "ghost braking".
I no longer own the car, but not for this reason.

ZenOps
10-06-2022, 10:22 AM
America is too far behind in robotics. Unless they steal tech, which is always a thing.