PDA

View Full Version : Youtube 4k premium.

Pages : [1] 2

ZenOps
10-04-2022, 05:09 AM
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/youtube-tests-premium-subscription-if-you-want-to-watch-at-4k-video-resolution.html

Didn't mind the ads, but I do watch a lot of high bandwidth content. The push for subscription to premium heats up.

2Legit2Quit
10-04-2022, 07:10 AM
If you're not already subscribed from Argentina you're doing it wrong.

taemo
10-04-2022, 07:18 AM

this, lol!

mr2mike
10-04-2022, 09:44 AM

You live there too?

gpomp
10-04-2022, 09:46 AM
I live in India :rofl:

2Legit2Quit
10-04-2022, 09:56 AM
Nice to see we have beyond members from all over the world :rofl:

zechs
10-04-2022, 12:14 PM
I wish youtube would add a higher bitrate to their lower feeds like 1080p vs who gives a shit 4k.

Same with 1080p 60fps, I really don't care for it unless its sports/fast moving, and a higher bitrate 1080p option would likely be superior anyways (going 60fps delivery is kind of the same thing).

Always wondered how they handled 4k content, its exponentially more expensive to host so it makes sense they are going this route.

Never thought to purchase through my vpn though!

rage2
10-04-2022, 01:43 PM
I care about 4K. I film my kids sports games in 4K 60 HDR and it looks incredible. Great memories. Youtube handles HDR incredibly bad, to the point where I stopped filming in HDR. And ya, the bitrates are brutal, 4K 60fps visual quality is so poor compared to the original.

I typically upload to YouTube for quick watch/access, then host the original on a google drive for parents to download the original. Sucks that 4K becomes inaccessible without premium.

mr2mike
10-04-2022, 02:13 PM
Sucks that I had to move to Argentina to get premium at a reasonable price.
But the weather's good.

Xtrema
10-04-2022, 03:29 PM
People balk at the idea of 12 ads before video. This is the natural next step.

As for different region payment hack, I'm sure they will come for that when they are desperate enough.

Looks like Google and Amazon need to see positive cash flow from video streaming platforms soon.

eblend
10-04-2022, 09:59 PM
Wow didn't realize there were other people from India here. Namaste mafakas! Been living in India for a while now and it's been great. I can't even imagine an ad pop up on my YouTube since I watch so much random shit, it would drive me nuts. Got the whole family hooked up, and use YouTube music all the time too, so if I ever have to move back to Canada, I would still pay for it.

zechs
10-05-2022, 08:37 AM
I care about 4K. .

I care about 4k as well, just not youtube 4k. It's a bad platform for it. I also try and record all videos I take in 4k, makes editing easier and looks so good.

Disoblige
10-05-2022, 08:39 AM
Wow didn't realize there were other people from India here. Namaste mafakas! Been living in India for a while now and it's been great. I can't even imagine an ad pop up on my YouTube since I watch so much random shit, it would drive me nuts. Got the whole family hooked up, and use YouTube music all the time too, so if I ever have to move back to Canada, I would still pay for it.
I feel like a boomer right now.
I don't get it :(

Or I mean, I don't know the solution.

beecue
10-05-2022, 09:01 AM
1. Create new account using through India or Argentina VPN so you can use your CC, some people are able to use existing account just by logging in with VPN
2. Sign up for YT premium family through VPN
3. Add family members

mr2mike
10-05-2022, 11:19 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/comments/wu01pv/ulpt_get_youtube_premium_for_087_via_argentina_by/

Pauly Boy
10-05-2022, 04:12 PM
Legit question, what are people watching that requires a premium subscription...?

Rage's example of sharing kids sports is a good example I hadn't thought of before, but outside of the odd DIY video or music video binge, I don't get it.

beecue
10-05-2022, 05:17 PM
No ads on premium. Worth it for iOS but if you have android then there are other apps you can use to block ads.

It also gives you access to YouTube music which is like Spotify.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2022, 05:19 PM
YouTube music is notably worse than Spotify, even the paid version.

killramos
10-05-2022, 05:32 PM
YouTube’s ads have gotten so bad it’s virtually unwatchable.

I don’t know what is going on with the rest of the discussion lol

2Legit2Quit
10-05-2022, 05:33 PM
I got it just for no ads, browser ad blockers are great but watching YouTube via android tv and getting blasted with ads before and during vids is cancer.

Also painful to watch ads for a short YouTube vid.

I hate ads.

zechs
10-05-2022, 08:13 PM
Legit question, what are people watching that requires a premium subscription...?

I use youtube for 70% plus of my regular entertainment. News shows/talk shows on in the background, tech/hardware/car channels for when chilling. And youtube music is GREAT if you are into hard to find and weirdass music. Spotify was way more artist based, youtube music basically just has EVERYTHING EVER.

I don't have cable/sat/whatever. Internet and youtube premium, well worth it. I'd still rather pay $12/month so I'll look into that.

taemo
10-05-2022, 09:26 PM

Rage's example of sharing kids sports is a good example I hadn't thought of before, but outside of the odd DIY video or music video binge, I don't get it.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/645/692/593.jpg

I rarely watch regular tv or disney/netflix/amazon.
Most of my viewing consumption is on Youtube which consist mostly of news, documentaries and educational/training videos.
adblock, pihole/adguard cant block ads on smart tv or mobile apps plus I can download all my YT videos and watch them offline, useful when I travel
even most of my music is just youtube video playlists

phreezee
10-20-2022, 02:20 PM
We created YouTube Premium to provide an uninterrupted YouTube experience, so you can get closer to the videos, creators and music artists you love. To continue delivering great service and features, we'll be increasing your Premium price from ARS 119.00/month to ARS 389.00/month.

$3.49! Outrageous!!!

2Legit2Quit
10-20-2022, 02:27 PM
$6.27 for the family plan, guess I'll have to leave Argentina

taemo
10-20-2022, 02:35 PM
We created YouTube Premium to provide an uninterrupted YouTube experience, so you can get closer to the videos, creators, and music artists that you love. To continue delivering great service and features, we will be increasing your Premium family plan price from ARS 179.00/month to ARS 699.00/month.

how about for our fellow Indian beyonders?

2Legit2Quit
10-20-2022, 02:55 PM
India seems to be hospitable still after hopping on a plane quickly to check their site, 1548 rupees/year for single account ~$25.37 CAD or ~$21.45 CAD for a year if you prepay for a year.

Family setup is ~$37.70 CAD a year on a monthly membership

Turkey next most hospitable country after that I think

mr2mike
10-20-2022, 03:05 PM
$6.27 for the family plan, guess I'll have to leave Argentina

I'm hopeful the exchange rate improves this deal.
Otherwise, my house might be for sale too.

heavyD
10-21-2022, 10:07 AM
YouTube’s ads have gotten so bad it’s virtually unwatchable.

I don’t know what is going on with the rest of the discussion lol

Yeah it's got really bad to the point if I get to an ad at the beginning of a video I was merely curious about, I just back out and move on or bail in the middle of videos where the full 30 second ads come on. They are going too far and it's going to cost them eventually.

ZenOps
10-26-2022, 03:46 AM
They got me. Now on the one month freebie with one one month paid. As a proud Canadian $12, because it looks like they are hiking the rates around the world anyhow.

At least its not £12, poor British bastids.

mr2mike
10-26-2022, 12:25 PM
Google may not be able to outrun currency devaluation. :)

eblend
11-19-2022, 09:26 PM
Hi All,

Been enjoying cheap Indian YouTube for a few years, and time came to update credit card expiry date, and I can't seem to do it. Seem like Google caught on, or something else is going on. Anyone try lately, or know of some work around?

2Legit2Quit
11-19-2022, 11:01 PM
India added an additional check for recurring monthly subscriptions, external credit cards are a no go now.

Turkey is now the cheapest option, around $4.50/month CAD for the family plan, but better than almost $20 for paying full pop

Connect to a Turkey based VPN endpoint and renew your subscription, didn't ask for an address and no issues with my credit card for payment.

eblend
11-19-2022, 11:25 PM
India added an additional check for recurring monthly subscriptions, external credit cards are a no go now.

Turkey is now the cheapest option, around $4.50/month CAD for the family plan, but better than almost $20 for paying full pop

Connect to a Turkey based VPN endpoint and renew your subscription, didn't ask for an address and no issues with my credit card for payment.

Will give this a shot and see how she goes. Thanks!

ExtraSlow
11-19-2022, 11:28 PM

gwill
11-20-2022, 12:03 AM
hot damn. Not sure why I didn't try this. Will change mine up now. Thanks

eblend
11-20-2022, 07:45 AM
Just tried Turkey and it failed with OR-CCSEH-21. Did you have to let your India sub lapse first? Mine is up in 2 days. Alternatively, I can cancel the membership now and sign up again as Turkey...I just hope the family settings don't go wonky as I have a family membership.

2Legit2Quit
11-20-2022, 08:46 AM
I cancelled my subscription that was under Argentina first off VPN, which lets the remaining days play out for the sub.

Then connected to Turkey and renewed my subscription and it automatically knew to start the new subscription the day after my initial sub ended.

eblend
11-20-2022, 08:54 AM
Damn. Still no go. Shows Turkey price and everything, but same error when trying to pay. Bummer. Will try later again.

2Legit2Quit
11-20-2022, 09:48 AM
Is it automatically reusing your existing payment or is it asking you to enter your credit card details.

If it's reusing an existing payment for another country it will most likely error out.

mr2mike
11-20-2022, 11:27 AM
A bit of a highjack.
Anyone successful adding people to family after the fact?
If both people VPN to same country, does that work?

sabad66
11-20-2022, 12:55 PM
Hmm I might need to try this. YouTube ads are so annoying these days.

What’s a good vpn that has an endpoint in Turkey? Nordvpn any good? Also can you prepay for say 2 years or is it monthly?

gwill
11-20-2022, 12:55 PM
why not try a new account?

Tik-Tok
11-20-2022, 01:48 PM
Hmm I might need to try this. YouTube ads are so annoying these days.

What’s a good vpn that has an endpoint in Turkey? Nordvpn any good? Also can you prepay for say 2 years or is it monthly?

Torguard has one for Turkey. Family plans are monthly only, single accounts can be paid annual.

phreezee
11-20-2022, 03:14 PM
TunnelBear didn't have Turkey, so I moved the family to Nigeria for $5.14/month.

eblend
11-20-2022, 08:15 PM
No luck unfortunately. Tried Nigeria, Turkey, Ukraine, and none worked, all exact same error. Tried like 4 different credit cards as well. Bummer. I can't go back to ads..so sooner or later I will give up and buy Canadian sub.

Tik-Tok
11-20-2022, 08:51 PM
Did you change your accounts country?

killramos
11-20-2022, 08:58 PM
Man. If you people want to be cheap fucks why dont you just watch the ads?

I guarantee you are spending more time and effort trying to game the system than you would have ever watched in ads.

mr2mike
11-20-2022, 09:41 PM
I guarantee I didn't. Took me 5min.
Payout based on 15s ads is 20 videos.

I view it as finding a loop hole, like when I take my taxes to H&R block and they find CRA loopholes.

gwill
11-20-2022, 10:15 PM

I guarantee you are spending more time and effort trying to game the system than you would have ever watched in ads.

If you ask nicely the adults here can help show you how easy it is to setup. I know it seems super technical but it's not...

eblend
11-20-2022, 11:42 PM
Did you change your accounts country?

Where is that done?

Youtube shows country as Turkey when I am on Turkish VPN. Not sure where this setting is supposed to be. Looked in google pay account, have a turkish payment profile on there, no address, perhaps I need to fake an address like I did back in India days?

I also saw somewhere that you can't change country while having an active subscription. Someone said it took 48 hours for it to work through the system that their sub is canceled. I will try in a couple of days, but am very curious where this country thing is you talking about and if it's different from what I have found so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes the joy is sticking it to the man, more so than the money savings, which is also nice :D

spike98
11-21-2022, 07:41 AM

Ads are a fucking nightmare with kids to click everything for one, and youtime music is include in the premium sub. Inflation is a bitch, and this is a way i can try and fight it. Honestly, if they charged this price from the get go i would have subscribbed a LONG time ago because for me, the value for service is there. Any more and i am out.

Buster
11-21-2022, 08:31 AM
I've decided I'm moving to India do I can take advantage of cheap YouTube.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-21-2022, 08:44 AM
Where is that done?

Youtube shows country as Turkey when I am on Turkish VPN. Not sure where this setting is supposed to be. Looked in google pay account, have a turkish payment profile on there, no address, perhaps I need to fake an address like I did back in India days?

I also saw somewhere that you can't change country while having an active subscription. Someone said it took 48 hours for it to work through the system that their sub is canceled. I will try in a couple of days, but am very curious where this country thing is you talking about and if it's different from what I have found so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes the joy is sticking it to the man, more so than the money savings, which is also nice :D

Keep us updated on if it works for you or not, and what the process was.

Buster
11-21-2022, 08:56 AM

Do it while you are waiting in the Costco gas line for an hour to save another $2.

Win win!

ExtraSlow
11-21-2022, 09:02 AM
What's the income tax in India? Maybe I'll move there too.

gwill
11-21-2022, 11:09 AM
Ads are a fucking nightmare with kids to click everything for one, and youtime music is include in the premium sub. Inflation is a bitch, and this is a way i can try and fight it. Honestly, if they charged this price from the get go i would have subscribbed a LONG time ago because for me, the value for service is there. Any more and i am out.

I agree about the kids. Mine are too young to skip the ads hence why i signed up. Some of the ads are 10 to 15 minutes long. Screw that noise.

rage2
11-21-2022, 11:25 AM
What's the income tax in India? Maybe I'll move there too.
You're saving 10% compared to Canada rate wise, but in reality you'll be paying 75% less taxes dollar wise. That's because your salary goes down around 70%.

eblend
11-24-2022, 12:29 AM
Hello my Turkish family!

I have finally succeeded in moving to Turkey, or rather Turkiye!

So after a few days struggling to renew, I basically gave up and watched YouTube with ads as I was too damn busy with the house. Today, I decided to try again, and whola, it worked! Connected to Turkey #63 on NordVPN (borrowed from buddy, who happens to be my fellow family member...) and tried it out again, and it worked first try! I noticed different VPNs say Turkey but when you check YouTube it shows prices in Pounds...so kept trying different Turkey server until I got one that showed price in Turkish currency.

Anyways, I think the trick is to basically wait it out. I read online where someone said that it takes about 48 hours after a sub is canceled for it to get through the entire google system, and it sure looks like that might be the solution. You can't switch countries with active sub, so when I canceled my sub it wouldn't let me renew as a different country, and guess 48+ hours later I tried again and it worked!

Hope this helps someone. Woot, back to listening to YouTube Music and ad-free youtube on the cheap.

Tik-Tok
11-24-2022, 09:00 AM
Beyond meet at Haci Abdullah Lokantasi?

2Legit2Quit
11-24-2022, 10:15 AM
I use Windscribe for my VPN provider, connected to their Istanbul endpoint and no issues.

Windscribe also offers free usage up to a certain few hundred MB a month for anyone wanting to use it without paying money for a VPN subscription.

D'z Nutz
11-24-2022, 11:52 AM
Can anyone provide a write up of how to do this? I tried following both methods here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/comments/wu01pv/ulpt_get_youtube_premium_for_087_via_argentina_by/

but neither of them worked. It still recognized me as Canadian and offered the Canadian rate using VPN.lat so I gave up.

I'm getting pretty annoyed that I'm getting 2 ads literally every few minutes when I'm watching a ~10 minute video.

mr2mike
11-24-2022, 01:49 PM
I logged in via pc.
Tunnel bear to wherever.
Made a burner google account.
Added my standard email and someone else.
Youtubed a few videos.
Then signed up like those tutorials.

taemo
11-25-2022, 10:44 AM
Can anyone provide a write up of how to do this? I tried following both methods here:

but neither of them worked. It still recognized me as Canadian and offered the Canadian rate using VPN.lat so I gave up.

I'm getting pretty annoyed that I'm getting 2 ads literally every few minutes when I'm watching a ~10 minute video.

When you are connected to the VPN before you open Google or Youtube, try going to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ first to verify that you are in Argentina.

davidI
11-25-2022, 12:44 PM
I haven't done this yet but it sounds like Turkey is now the best choice as google raised the price in Argentina and India doesn't process payments easily.

D'z Nutz
11-26-2022, 04:26 PM
I haven't done this yet but it sounds like Turkey is now the best choice as google raised the price in Argentina and India doesn't process payments easily.

Yeah finally got it working. Turkey listed it as TRY 29.99/month which works out to be ~$2.16 CAD.

Edit: I've never used Youtube Music before and logged on to see what the benefits are and it's recommending a bunch of Turkish artists :rofl:

mr2mike
11-26-2022, 04:56 PM
Argentina is around $5.80 CDN

taemo
11-26-2022, 06:06 PM
found this page, looks like cheapest is India and Turkey 2nd.
Argentina and Philippines tied 3rd.
https://vpnwiki.com/en/youtube-premium-subscription-prices-by-country

D'z Nutz
11-26-2022, 07:45 PM
I didn't realize the annual rate wasn't offered to all countries. I just switched to Turkey's annual payment just in case they raise the price so I won't have to think about it for the next 14 months.

Gman.45
11-26-2022, 10:52 PM
Is Premium better than a regular addblocker? I'm still getting free 4k on all the 4k channels I watch, so other than being able to d/l stuff, is there any advantage I'm missing out on ?

phreezee
11-27-2022, 09:16 AM
No ads on all devices. I watch on through my TV app predominantly.
Google is disabling the API that the Adblockers use : https://www.wired.com/story/google-chrome-ad-blockers-extensions-api/

birdman86
11-27-2022, 11:00 AM
Youtube Music is pretty good too, I've been using it for about a month and will probably drop apple music for this instead

sabad66
11-27-2022, 10:08 PM
Finally had some time to try this. Created a new burner google account but My credit card needed verification… are you guys using your real cards or buying a prepaid cc for this?

D'z Nutz
11-27-2022, 10:39 PM
I used my real one.

mr2mike
11-28-2022, 12:14 AM
Real. But I live in Argentina. :nut:

davidI
11-28-2022, 07:35 AM
Do you use your real address for the card or try to use a fake address in Argentina or how does that work?

2Legit2Quit
11-28-2022, 08:07 AM
Nah you just pull a random address from google maps and it works without issue.

Turkey didn't even ask me for an address.

I use one of my credit cards without issues or concern.

taemo
11-28-2022, 08:39 AM
In Argentina right now and using my real address, just changed postal code and city.

Planning on moving to Turkey today.

sabad66
11-28-2022, 08:44 AM
Hmm weird, probably failed cuz I picked a fake name for the burner account than the google account... I should have known that would flag it. Will give it another shot later

taemo
11-28-2022, 10:50 AM
successfully moved my family to Turkey from Argentina, ~4.33CAD vs ~5.64CAD

and yeah Turkey doesn't even ask for your address, just your CC

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-28-2022, 11:12 AM
Trying to move to Turkey from Canada. Do I need to wait for my current sub to run out? Cancelled my membership, logged in via NordVPN (Turkey), and it's showing me GBP prices.

Edit: Got it working. TRY 59.99 Which is ~$4.33 CAD/month. No annual option that I can find.

mr2mike
11-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Hmm weird, probably failed cuz I picked a fake name for the burner account than the google account... I should have known that would flag it. Will give it another shot later

My burner google account name is: (Korean heritage, living abroad in Argentina but soon will be taemo's neighbour).

ExtraSlow
11-28-2022, 11:52 AM
aren't we all just citizens of the world at this point? Digital Nomads, amirite?

beecue
11-28-2022, 01:19 PM
Did Argentina recently go up? I was charged $1.58 on November 8th.

sabad66
11-28-2022, 04:40 PM
My burner google account name is: Yu Toob (Korean heritage, living abroad in Argentina but soon will be taemo's neighbour).

I tried Mehmet Erdogan because that was the only Turkish name I could think of on the fly lol.

eblend
11-28-2022, 11:04 PM
For people creating burner accounts, it's not really necessary. I use my main google account with a family sub and have moved from India to Turkey now, and all is good in the hood.

ExtraSlow
12-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Anyone move to Turkiye or wherever for your O365 or Google One subscription?

birdman86
12-03-2022, 10:00 AM
Did Argentina recently go up? I was charged $1.58 on November 8th.

I was charged $1.00 on Nov 20th

beecue
12-03-2022, 01:49 PM
I was charged $1.00 on Nov 20th

It's going up on your next bill. I got the email "To continue delivering great service and features, we will be increasing your Premium family plan price from ARS 179.00/month to ARS 699.00/month."

I switched to Turkey now.

phreezee
01-29-2023, 03:30 PM
Netflix Premium is 130.99 Turkish Lira. We'll see if the crack down happens in March.

mr2mike
01-29-2023, 03:49 PM
Stuck in Argentina and inflation is wild.
Paying $2.89 Cdn now. Down from $9 Cdn a few months ago.

phreezee
05-29-2023, 03:06 PM
Fuck ya, my Netflix and YouTube just got cheaper :rofl: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/29/turkeys-lira-sinks-to-near-record-low-as-erdogan-is-reelected.html

taemo
11-02-2023, 05:19 PM
just got this email :(

we’re increasing your price to TRY 115.99 /month

for the YouTube Premium Family plan, do I need to move my family from Turkey again and get a new mortgage? cheapest place other than India since they don't like my CC

mr2mike
11-02-2023, 05:27 PM
I'd just let economics work its course.

taemo
11-02-2023, 06:58 PM
I'd just let economics work its course.

used to be 59.99 TRY before :(

D'z Nutz
11-02-2023, 09:19 PM
God damn it. Mine's coming up for renewal in January too.

gwill
11-02-2023, 10:02 PM
Had to sign a family member up on this recently. Argentina didn't work. Turkey didn't work. Ended up in Nigeria but had to sign up to YouTube music first. Then add the premium in the music section.

Wasn't this difficult before.

taemo
11-03-2023, 02:13 PM
how much was from Nigeria?
Argentina wouldnt accept your CC or just couldn't sign-up.

Quick research seems like Argentina, Turkey, India and Ukraine are still the cheapest so I may just stay here for now. Might look into Argentina again when bored enough to go there

mr2mike
11-03-2023, 02:25 PM
Argentina requires using an Argentinean bank credit card now. New laws or something for the country.

gwill
11-03-2023, 06:13 PM
Weird part was the option for YouTube premium wasn't appearing in most countries. Turkey appeared but wouldn't accept credit card.

Even Nigeria didn't show you tube premium but did show YouTube music to sign up. Which then let's you to upgrade to YouTube premium through YouTube music tab. Otherwise the premium version wasn't appearing for Nigeria as well.

All super odd.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Got an email telling me turkey was going from 59.99 TRY to 119.99TRY. So now I'll have to pay $6/month instead of $3/month for YT premium family account.