PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Help!!!!!

TR3VS
04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
I wondering if you can turn any bike into an all out chopper!!
I got a old school honda 550 kickin around and thought it could be a kit bike for the weekends. Im I shit outta luck or what?

hendosa
04-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Don't bother, sell it and get a Harley Sportster:thumbsup:

CrisVA
04-04-2004, 04:10 PM
hahaha, buy a harley.... hahahah oh my thats a good one.

If you want a real chopper AND reliability, then buy something besides *snicker* harley

mo_virgin
04-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah... but the Harley VRSA looks sooo nice!!!

hendosa
04-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by CrisVA

If you want a real chopper AND reliability, then buy something besides *snicker* harley
lol last time I checked reliability wasn't really a factor when taking choppers into consideration...:nut:

CrisVA
04-04-2004, 08:28 PM
lol, quiet you, i never miss a chance to zing one at harley owners :tongue:

method
04-04-2004, 09:52 PM
there's kits for older imports...

then again, kits arent really the way to go.

strip it down to the frame, stretch it, rake it, and get a set of triple trees. you could chop a moped if you wanted to, just depends how much work/money you throw at it.

Kona9
04-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by CrisVA

Hahahah I share your attutde on this one!!!!!!!

Sportster :rofl: *cough girls bike cough*

And, back on topic......yes as method stated, what you want to do is possible. You will spend a bit of money, but TIME is what your going to need lots of. If you plan on going off the hook with this bike, than honestly forget it. If you are just makin a project "whatever" chopper for fun, you shouldn't have too many issues.

Ducati
04-04-2004, 11:28 PM
As a former owner of four Harleys, I will agree that Sporty's are chicks bikes. (I have nothing but good things to say about Evo engined FL series HD's tho - they do what they were designed to do, and do it very well)
If I had a Sportster given to me (for free) I would modify it to correct the notoriously wiggly frame, forks and suspension, and make a counterfeit XR750 flattrack style out of it. Bartels sells XR kit parts, and the Sporty can be modded to produce nice power (Just ask Eric Buell)

If I had an old Honda 550 - 4, I would Restore it to stock. that bike will be collectible one day, and they were great bikes. (Oddly, however, the similar 650-4 was a problem plagued POS)
If you absolutely have to turn it into something radical, it would make a better retro-rocker cafe bike than a chop, and with far less effort and money, too.
Honestly!

If you absolutely have to have a chopper, find an old Yamaha 650 twin and watch a few more hours of American Chopper or whatevertafukk Jessee James is on these days. You should be able to make a retro old school style chop that resembles a BSA engines limey chop that was popular in the sixties and early seventies. Then go buy a chromed Nazi helmet and glue a big spike to the top.

hendosa
04-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
Then go buy a chromed Nazi helmet and glue a big spike to the top.
Lol yeah thats about all you need to get into the chopper culture.

I know the sportsters are relatively girly but I've only heard good things about them for being good chopper/starter projects. One of the cheapest routes around, if you're looking for cheap.:burnout:

Ducati
04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Problem with the old iron barrel sportys is their tendency to crack frames just ahead of the oil bucket, and to cook rear cylinders. Newer 883's are reliable enough, but oh so gutless. (mind you, a good 883 might just put Merthods hot little skooter up a good race) The 1100 & 1200 are seriously overpriced for what you get.

Young guys with small budgets can make a tasty looking retro-ride out of a Jap twin, and it is easy to disguise an old Yammie's Japanese'ness.

method
04-05-2004, 08:34 PM
bah, I could outrun a 883 ;)