PDA

View Full Version : Whats the definition of a "racing seat"?

drift55
04-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Just wondering what the real definition of a racing seat is.

Consider these 2 seats:

http://www.fizzautosports.com/images/jdm/jdm_honda/ep3/jdm_ep3_seat_B.jpg

http://planet.time.net.my/sepang/haiditn/html/PERT/Iswara/iswseats.jpg

My own definition of a "racing seat" would be the blue Corbeau seat. I define it as a "racing seat" because (a) it's one piece, (b) it's used for racing, (i.e. not everyday usage), (c) it's got a harness thats attatched to the rollcage, and (d) the seat is bolted down for safety reasons.

Now the red Recaro's would be considered "racing seats" to some because they have some of attributes of a real "racing seat", but I believe that they're not. I believe that they've been catagorized as "racing seats" by companies for marketing purposes so that they would sell.

I'm not saying that we should stop calling the Recaro's racing seats, I'm just saying they've been mislabelled. People call them racing seats because they've been accustomed to that name.

What's your opinion on this?

africano
04-04-2004, 06:28 PM
I think you got a point.

Originally posted by drift55
(c) it's got a harness thats attatched to the rollcage

But this you could do with the recaro's too.

The Recaro's IMO is a sport seat, you got the support(sorta) of a racing seat with the reclineablility for everday usage.

Real racing seats are one-piece so I guess that's where the definition lies

EK 2.0
04-04-2004, 08:01 PM
When building a "racing seat" manufacturers, will go for function over form...Momo, Corbeau, Sparco, all of the major seat builders, will make the racing seat comfy, but more light, and stiff over anything, where as an "enthusiast seat" will give you the bolsters and the support, but also offer you reclinability, a lil more padding for everyday driving, and they will lack the HUGE side headrests, you you can shoulder check, cause I mean with a brain bucket on, who really needs to look over their shoulder right??

Tuner1
04-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I would say to be a racing seat it must be (A) One piece construction (B) Approved by the FIA or other similar sanctioning body (C) *Obviously* used by professionals in some type of motorsport RACING events :)

Rob

hjr
04-05-2004, 12:34 AM
1 peice and homoligated (generally by FIA, the french are nutty for racing) = racing seat

how you use it is your choice.