PDA

View Full Version : Front door service/replacement recommendations?

S-FLY
11-09-2022, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, my house settled a bit over the years and the frame on my front door is a bit twisted/out of whack. It causes the door not to sit flat against the weather stripping or close easily. It's just a cheap all white builder grade steel door that I'm sure is original to the home. I've messed with it many times over the years but with the recent cold weather, I've finally had enough.

Can anyone recommend either:
1. Someone to come and fix the frame and re-hang the door
OR
2. Someone to come and replace the whole damn door and frame with something pre-hung? Maybe even upgrade to a fiberglass door if it insulates better with the same look as the original (again, just all white).

Thanks in advance!

90_Shelby
11-09-2022, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, my house settled a bit over the years and the frame on my front door is a bit twisted/out of whack. It causes the door not to sit flat against the weather stripping or close easily. It's just a cheap all white builder grade steel door that I'm sure is original to the home. I've messed with it many times over the years but with the recent cold weather, I've finally had enough.

Can anyone recommend either:
1. Someone to come and fix the frame and re-hang the door
OR
2. Someone to come and replace the whole damn door and frame with something pre-hung? Maybe even upgrade to a fiberglass door if it insulates better with the same look as the original (again, just all white).

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried shimming the hinges as opposed to a full fix? Could be a quick and easy solution.

S-FLY
11-09-2022, 01:52 PM
Have you tried shimming the hinges as opposed to a full fix? Could be a quick and easy solution.

I've tried. It made it better once, then I messed with it because it wasn't perfect and it got worse. I've given up and ready for a professional to just come and fix this thing properly.

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2022, 02:02 PM
Do you realize it's likely going to be over $600 ?
That makes for a lot of shim jobs.

S-FLY
11-09-2022, 02:19 PM
$600 to replace the door or just repair it? If it's $600 to replace, that's fine as long as -25C air isn't blowing into my front entry way when the door is closed...
I can't explain how screwed up the door is but the gaps are all off, not just a uniform gap top and bottom.

Does nobody have a window and door company they recommend??

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2022, 02:38 PM
I just know hanging a door is a very finicky job and it's surprisingly expensive. If yours is really screwed up, it's likely going to take a lot of labour to fix it.
Sorry I don't know anyone.

mr2mike
11-09-2022, 02:42 PM
Most people I know are more concerned about a shim job on their back door.

No added value. Never bought a new door.