PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's kid go to Foothills Academy?

ExtraSlow
11-20-2022, 09:31 AM
Friends of our suggested we check out Foothills Academy. Kid would qualify. Seems expensive, but cheaper than that time we had a nanny, so I'm sure we could work it out.

Anyway, just looking for opinions and info of the kind you don't find on the website.
Post here or PM me if you are shy. Thanks.

you&me
11-21-2022, 04:02 PM
I don't have any experience with Foothills, but am familiar with & have friends with kids in (seemingly) similar programs.

It's a personal decision and only you and your wife will know if it's best for your kid, but in my experience the list of things I'd rather spend money on over my children's education is extremely short... Like food, and shelter.

The schools and programs that cater to these kids seem to achieve outcomes that are extremely difficult in a regular public school classroom. For example, one couple I know had their daughter in a public school class with 27 kids. The daughter quickly feel behind in early reading and math, in part because the teacher had ~15 'normal' kids and another dozen with varying needs, so once the lesson was taught and the 15 kids picked it up, the teacher had to go back and re-teach little groups of the other kids in ways that suited them, which is frankly no ideal or fair to any of the 27 kids. That girl now goes to a school with a similar program to Foothills and her class has 5 kids (ironically, we're also friends with her teacher)... The level of attention and tailored learning that can be offered in that environment simply can't be matched in a public school setting.

Like you said, seems expensive when you just look at the number, but really not any more expensive that tons of other "kid things" that most people find a way to pay for, like daycare, nannies, etc.

As for the inevitable "I went to public school and I turned out fine"... yeah, I did to... But that was 20+ fucking years ago and things have changed.

ExtraSlow
11-21-2022, 04:05 PM
what school is "similar" to foothills? I was under the impression that they were quite unique.

suntan
11-21-2022, 04:06 PM
Renfrew and Calgary Academy.

Tik-Tok
11-21-2022, 04:14 PM
No personal experience, but an old colleague had one of his kids through there for dyslexia, and he said it was worth every penny, despite it being a bit of a financial/scheduling hardship for them.

Edit: I think his kid was 10'ish at the time.

you&me
11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
what school is "similar" to foothills? I was under the impression that they were quite unique.

Admittedly, I don't have any direct experience, but have some familiarity with both Calgary Academy and Rundle Academy, which both offer learning disability programs.

nzwasp
11-21-2022, 04:49 PM
Both my kids did a reading and writing camp (1v1) at foothills academy for all of august. It cost us about 4k. Our kids psychologist suggested it for some learning issues both had.
They both really enjoyed it. I think more because it was one on one with the teacher.

suntan
11-21-2022, 04:50 PM
Proper parenting displayed in this thread.

Pacman
11-21-2022, 10:19 PM
Both my kids did a reading and writing camp (1v1) at foothills academy for all of august. It cost us about 4k. Our kids psychologist suggested it for some learning issues both had.
They both really enjoyed it. I think more because it was one on one with the teacher.

My daughter did the same camp there last summer and she also goes there every Saturday during the regular year for a 2 hour reading tutorial. We have noticed great improvements with her reading and confidence.

cancer man
11-30-2022, 03:41 AM
Send them to the hood.. they will have friends for life and every parent is a tradesperson. BBQs are awesome. Life skills brother..

ExtraSlow
02-08-2023, 06:49 AM
Was at the foothills academy open house yesterday. A lot to think about.
Does seem hard to get in, 110 parents went (estimate) and they probably have fewer than 15 openings above grade 3(wild guess).

Took several pages of notes and had a long chat with the AP afterwards.

DonJuan
02-08-2023, 09:55 AM
*Set straight by Pacman*

Pacman
02-08-2023, 10:08 AM
Wife's nephew went to Foothills Academy. Straight A's and worked hard. Graduated with scholarship to U of A. Did 1 year engineering and dropped out/withdraw (or whatever). He's now part time at MRU doing Business courses, and works full time.

Not saying it happens to all kids, but consider the investment carefully.

I've considered it and after hearing stories from the same nephew, seems to be same rate of drugs/pregnancy as when I went to public High School. My opinion is paying the extra money doesn't make up for time parenting.

Are we talking about the same school? Foothills Academy is for kids with various levels of learning disabilities where the classes are smaller than a public classroom and the teachers can help work with the kids who require a bit of extra attention. I get the impression from your post that you think it's more of a private school?

DonJuan
02-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Are we talking about the same school? Foothills Academy is for kids with various levels of learning disabilities where the classes are smaller than a public classroom and the teachers can help work with the kids who require a bit of extra attention. I get the impression from your post that you think it's more of a private school?

Holy Fuk, MY BAD. The school I thought was called Foothills Academy is Westmount Charter. :facepalm: I've always thought it was called Foothills Academy. My bad. Please disregard my post. (deleting now)

ExtraSlow
02-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Hahaha, yeah Westmount very different than Foothills.
Foothills boasts that they get every kid graduating with a high school diploma, which is much better than the rate for kids with learning disabilities in public school.

you&me
02-08-2023, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by DonJuan
I've considered it and after hearing stories from the same nephew, seems to be same rate of drugs/pregnancy as when I went to public High School. My opinion is paying the extra money doesn't make up for time parenting.

This isn't specific to Foothills - and especially not since DonJuan basically recanted his post - but the bolded above is a common sentiment... "I went to public school and look at me now... I'm fine"

The thing is, no one making this point seems to consider that when they went to public school, it was 20 to 30 FUCKING YEARS AGO... As if nothing's changed? Lack of school funding has been a constant point of public contention for the entirety of that period, and people don't think it's had an affect?

ExtraSlow - good luck with whatever you choose. I applaud anyone willing to look outside the public school framework in order to find something that works best for their child.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2023, 10:28 PM
People have a lot of different reasons for considering alternative schools. Social status or "the crowd of peers" isn't one I concern myself with right now.

ThePenIsMightier
02-08-2023, 11:10 PM
Are "Honours Classes" still a thing? Because that's the true desirable entity. Get rid of the loser kids that are disruptive nonsense and focus on learning the shit so you can GtFO ASAP.
For kids that have developmental issues and are struggling, I'm guessing that the more you pay, the better their opportunities are.
/No horse in race (that I can tell, thus far)

The Cosworth
02-09-2023, 08:48 AM
Are "Honours Classes" still a thing? Because that's the true desirable entity. Get rid of the loser kids that are disruptive nonsense and focus on learning the shit so you can GtFO ASAP.
For kids that have developmental issues and are struggling, I'm guessing that the more you pay, the better their opportunities are.
/No horse in race (that I can tell, thus far)

IB is still a thing (at least at Churchill where I went).

ExtraSlow
02-09-2023, 09:01 AM
If anyone is attempting to keep the discussion on track, IB and AP classes are not offered by Foothills Academy. For the most part, these are kids who struggle with standard level Alberta Curriculum academic requirements. Although in the private school setting with more assistance, they are able to meet grade level and graduate. Many would not in a large public high school.

One aspect that particularly appeals to me is the intensive amount of career counselling they get in the high school grades. Not focused on university admission either, the full spectrum of trades and tech schools is a part of the discussion, which is awesome. I think that could be extremely valuable in our situation. I have friends and relatives kids who came out of high school with zero plan and zero skills and who are still working fast food jobs 5+ years later.

tirebob
02-09-2023, 10:26 AM

One aspect that particularly appeals to me is the intensive amount of career counselling they get in the high school grades. Not focused on university admission either, the full spectrum of trades and tech schools is a part of the discussion, which is awesome. I think that could be extremely valuable in our situation. I have friends and relatives kids who came out of high school with zero plan and zero skills and who are still working fast food jobs 5+ years later.

You are not wrong but remember not every person will have the same drive an interests at this point in time... My sis-in-law started working fast food (MacDonalds) and eventually decided what was important and went back to school doing upgrades and shit from online schooling and now she runs something like 8 or 10 MacDonalds franchises and makes some serious legit coin and has security out the wahzoo... It just took some life experience to get her to a place she was ready to achieve something she wanted. Sure would be nice to have kids who just get it right away but reality is many don't. Most in fact.

It is one thing I have always told both my kids. When you are young you don't have to have it all figured out necessarily. Try different gigs and you may hate them or you may love them. Maybe you find you calling early sure, but the worst that happens is you figure out the shit you don't want to be doing and that can be half the battle.

Nothing wrong with giving your kid as much chance to succeed as possible, but you sure are not a failure because your kid works at a fast food joint for a few years.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2023, 10:32 AM
No, I agree. Just happen to know these kids, and have little hope they'll ever get their shit figured out. The one particularly, is a sad case for reasons that are a little to personal to type here. And then I look at my kid, and can imagine the exact path, and it eats me up inside to imagine. Adding in the learning disability and I think it's pretty important to me to get as much help as early as possible to keep doors open. Might be drawing back the curtain a little too much, but I'm really impressed that foothills academy has a 100% graduation rate with a legitimate high school diploma. I can see quite clearly where my kid might not get that far on her current path.

tirebob
02-09-2023, 10:43 AM
No, I agree. Just happen to know these kids, and have little hope they'll ever get their shit figured out. The one particularly, is a sad case for reasons that are a little to personal to type here. And then I look at my kid, and can imagine the exact path, and it eats me up inside to imagine. Adding in the learning disability and I think it's pretty important to me to get as much help as early as possible to keep doors open. Might be drawing back the curtain a little too much, but I'm really impressed that foothills academy has a 100% graduation rate with a legitimate high school diploma. I can see quite clearly where my kid might not get that far on her current path.

Good on you sir... Like I said, nothing wrong with giving your kids the very best chances at success at all. I am just saying if things are not perfect, they are not necessarily totally broken either. I think with our kids it is always going to be a life long lesson and adapting to current situations.

benyl
02-09-2023, 11:20 AM
Holy Fuk, MY BAD. The school I thought was called Foothills Academy is Westmount Charter. :facepalm: I've always thought it was called Foothills Academy. My bad. Please disregard my post. (deleting now)

Westmount is a public charter school. The kids come from all over the city including the NE and the dirty South. The rates of drugs, pregnancy and stupidity would reflect that as some many not have the same social net that saves kids in a proper private school

Westmount is also a special needs school and classified that way. The disability isn't typically learning, but more so on the social aspects. There are a number of kids who are double coded (gifted and on the spectrum).

Every school has examples like your nephew. Your nephew sounds like what we call "high intelligence, low achievement". Just because you are smart, doesn't mean you will be successful.

By the same token, just because you have a learning disability, doesn't mean you won't be a billionaire. Motivating an unmotivated person has no correlation on their ability to learn or their IQ.

Putting your kids in the best school to the best of your abilities is part of good parenting.

ES hope the school works out for you.

DonJuan
02-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I must spread reputation around before giving to ES & tirebob again.

Excellent parenting tips here. Some parents, especially of teens, just adopt a laissez faire attitude saying they'll figure it out eventually. I think guidance and showing that you care in their day to day lives will have the best results.

Good on both of you.
benyl I get what you're saying. I think degenerates exist in both private and public systems.

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2023, 04:31 PM
If anyone is attempting to keep the discussion on track, IB and AP classes are not offered by Foothills Academy.....

Hey please let me clarify that I was in NO WAY slamming your kids if they're having a difficult time with some aspect of school.
I brought up honours as a bonus because I felt that it was less about being a freak genius and more about getting away from the kids who are only at school twice a week and when they're there, they are intentionally disruptive, all day. You know? Complete shit heads?
I am NOT lumping kids who are struggling with ______ into that category.

I bet your kids are fuckin awesome and are going to figure everything out, aided by your highly competent oversight.

*I don't think you were confused about this, as I'd like to think you'd immediately lash out and call me a fuck nugget if you felt I was being a fuck nugget, but, sometimes it's better to verify.

suntan
02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Westmount is a public charter school. The kids come from all over the city including the NE and the dirty South. The rates of drugs, pregnancy and stupidity would reflect that as some many not have the same social net that saves kids in a proper private school

Westmount is also a special needs school and classified that way. The disability isn't typically learning, but more so on the social aspects. There are a number of kids who are double coded (gifted and on the spectrum).

Every school has examples like your nephew. Your nephew sounds like what we call "high intelligence, low achievement". Just because you are smart, doesn't mean you will be successful.

By the same token, just because you have a learning disability, doesn't mean you won't be a billionaire. Motivating an unmotivated person has no correlation on their ability to learn or their IQ.

Putting your kids in the best school to the best of your abilities is part of good parenting.

ES hope the school works out for you.

Westmount is nerd central. Pregnancies? The school is at least 90% not white.

You need an IQ test just to apply. It costs about $3300. And that's no guarantee of acceptance.

There are very few double coded kids there.

killramos
02-22-2023, 03:32 PM
lol that is such a suntan post

gmc72
02-22-2023, 03:34 PM
There are quite a lot of double coded kids there.

FTFY.

Source: Wife teaches there.

suntan
02-22-2023, 03:43 PM
Relative to the # of kids, not really.

They don't even want all that many.

rage2
02-22-2023, 04:29 PM
The earth is definitely flat.

Source: heard from suntan

vengie
02-22-2023, 04:41 PM
Will need to see the technical analysis prior to forming my conclusion. Are we at bottom?

bjstare
02-22-2023, 05:11 PM
Relative to the # of kids, not really.

They don't even want all that many.

It's amazing, you seem to be a subject matter expert in every topic that pops up.

you&me
02-23-2023, 01:51 PM
It's amazing, you seem to be a subject matter expert in every topic that pops up.

And so consistently off-base, or flat-out wrong :rofl:

ThePenIsMightier
02-23-2023, 01:54 PM
And so consistently off-base, or flat-out wrong :rofl:

You might say it's...

Epidemic.