PDA

View Full Version : Eau Claire Market to be Demolished

msommers
01-19-2023, 02:24 PM
The developer has got to be happy they will eventually have this off their books, the place has never been busy and got way less interesting when IMAX and the arcade upstairs left. Shame though, it's a pretty iconic location for festivals. The Cineplex upstairs is rarely busy and cheap which was nice, and the blood clinic will now have to find a new home.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/lrt-green-line-eau-claire-market-demolition

killramos
01-19-2023, 02:40 PM
Lol. 8 years after the last time they said they were going to demolish it.

bjstare
01-19-2023, 02:48 PM
I think this belongs here:

ExtraSlow
01-19-2023, 02:51 PM
I have a soft spot for Eau Claire market from the years I worked close to it, and the years I used to drink in or around there. Had some good parties up that way. Great location by the river and the park and there's huge potential. That being said, it's a dead spot that needed rebuilding somehow. Hopefully something interested gets put on top of the train station. But with the 15-20 years of construction planned, I think that's not going to matter to most of us.

DonJuan
01-19-2023, 02:56 PM
I am actually saddened by this. I went to school near there and went to Eau Claire during spares etc.

Xtrema
01-19-2023, 02:59 PM
Hopefully something interested gets put on top of the train station. But with the 15-20 years of construction planned, I think that's not going to matter to most of us.

Let's be real, it's going to be a homeless shelter like Heritage.

riander5
01-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Where will Canadian Blood Services steal my precious blood now

flipstah
01-19-2023, 03:11 PM
If they design it like Eaton Centre in Toronto, it'd be a hit.

suntan
01-19-2023, 03:17 PM
The station or Canadian Blood Services?

msommers
01-19-2023, 03:21 PM
Needles either way

riander5
01-19-2023, 03:23 PM
They want to suck my blood!

ExtraSlow
01-19-2023, 03:23 PM
Needles either way

Post of the day

Ca_Silvia13
01-19-2023, 03:28 PM
I think this belongs here:

Same. I mean the skateboarding was decent back in the day

D'z Nutz
01-19-2023, 03:44 PM
Where the hell am I going to get my Egyptian themed souvenirs now?

max_boost
01-19-2023, 03:45 PM
It was a nice place for first meets, spacious, lots of exits, close to home etc. Much time was spent loitering, exercising walking around that mall. I'm gonna miss it. :(

ThePenIsMightier
01-19-2023, 03:51 PM
This thread needs a kick.
Who got a dry tuggie or a BJ at this place? That's the Memory Lane we should be going down.
(on).

suntan
01-19-2023, 04:46 PM
The Garage used to be busy all the time. Outside the mall was always busy with the Hard Rock Cafe, the Italian restaurant and the sushi restaurant.

Saw a lot of movies there because it was never full.

Mall layout was terrible for businesses. Three corridors that led outside. Good jorb.

I have heard rumours that rent there was incredibly high even for retail.

Original concept was for a Granville Market vibe but they never even attempted to get a farmers market going in there. Instead they went with the sorta high-end boutique retailer but that was unviable with Calgary's economy at the time. Didn't help that the hookers were a block away.

The architects were in Canada Place, I was a security guard there and they had a little model of the mall on a table.

Hallowed_point
01-19-2023, 05:17 PM
Thank god, what a useless eyesore that mall is. Even the subway sucks.

And yeah, it is totally like a ghetto granville island . Only thing in common is the homeless people except instead of playing a guitar or doing something entertaining they're screaming or laying on the ground passed out.

suntan
01-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Homeless are everywhere now. Fucking infestation. Thanks city council.

msommers
01-19-2023, 05:58 PM
Thank god, what a useless eyesore that mall is. Even the subway sucks.

And yeah, it is totally like a ghetto granville island . Only thing in common is the homeless people except instead of playing a guitar or doing something entertaining they're screaming or laying on the ground passed out.

Subway didn't survive, it's some Grandma's Cooking or something. Apparently the Thai place in there is legit, never tried the Viet place

killramos
01-19-2023, 06:29 PM
Yea Jackie’s is good

kertejud2
01-19-2023, 07:16 PM
Granville Island has been pretty terrible for a while. Name recognition and nostalgia have given it staying lower, but Eau Claire was never able to build on anything like that. Went with a concept that was already on a decline, place was set up to fail. Pretty much all the Granville Island type places in NA trying for a similar concept have struggled or shut down since.

There’s hope for a market concept. Already being done in the Beltline. The Forks in Winnipeg has shown it can be successful in a winter city. But a demolition is the humane thing to do to the place, really. Try again, later once the stink is off.

sabad66
01-19-2023, 07:19 PM
Damn hope Jackie’s can find a new place. BVS might be ok for them even tho there’s a Thai express at SEC and tuk tuk at fifth ave place.

Neil4Speed
01-20-2023, 08:34 AM
Subway didn't survive, it's some Grandma's Cooking or something. Apparently the Thai place in there is legit, never tried the Viet place

Grandma's Kitchen. I work reasonably close so we used to go for a quick team lunch every once in a while. One co-worker loved it and we used to tease her about it as it was pretty basic make it at home type of food. A few of us tried it on her last day, and it was actually really good - good portion sizes, super nice people working there. Is it anything you couldn't make at home, no, but it was great.

Jackies Thai was good, also I liked having a Willow Park close for liquor pickups.

riander5
01-20-2023, 10:06 AM
I'll miss it forsure, but it is time for it to go

Pauly Boy
01-20-2023, 10:34 AM
Good times were had there. I frequented it quite a bit in the late 90s. No tuggies, but made out lots and felt my first pair of bewbs in that IMAX.

Bought a lot of my sweet (and very fashionable I might add) puka shell necklaces from some shop there all the time - They would have hundreds of different styles, lol.

suntan
01-20-2023, 10:36 AM
Good times were had there. I frequented it quite a bit in the late 90s. No tuggies, but made out lots and felt my first pair of bewbs in that IMAX.

Yeah you had warm hands.