PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Account Sharing Changes

Pages : [1] 2 3

2Legit2Quit
02-10-2023, 11:26 AM
I'm surprised no one has talked about this over the past week with the changes finally being implemented within Canada.

Personally I think it's pretty fucking lame and helping them dig their grave, we share the 4k package with our bro/sis in law and have continued to do so just on the basis of splitting cost/the fact someone else is also using the service.

Years of price increases and less content has made Netflix worse for us so we're going to cancel all together, family can export their profile and sign up for a single service account if they like.

Might try Disney+ for the sake of having a replacement but between Prime Video and sailing the open seas, Netflix has become the least used streaming/media service in our house.

Y'all bailing or sticking with the changes?

tha_bandit
02-10-2023, 11:40 AM
We will stick to our 4k plan, but the price increases over time and other services, its just too many options, might as well stick to kodi. I am more interested on how or what technologies they are using to keep the 'primary location', especially with mobile phones and such, are they going to authenticate every time you go out with the email/text option?. I mean you could setup a VPN lol.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2023, 11:40 AM
I do agree the value proposition has not improved over the years. We don't share any of our accounts outside the household, but I think we might drop Netflix and live with Prime and Disney for a while. Shaw is paying my Disney subscription these days. Last year Telus was paying for my Netflix.

nzwasp
02-10-2023, 11:41 AM
Im kind of surprised that crave isnt more into tracking this, we dont share our netflix account at all.

2Legit2Quit
02-10-2023, 11:44 AM
I looked into crave yesterday as we actually watch a lot of HBO produced content and the other shows/movies they offer are good... But everything I read is that the video quality is crap, the UI sucks and it's sadly just a poor service.

That's what was on Reddit anyway, maybe folks on here can attest otherwise.

shakalaka
02-10-2023, 11:48 AM
I really wanna drop Netflix out of principal due to this change but my wife likely won't let us so we will set up a new account (had always just used my dad's account all around the family as he set it up when the service first started).

beecue
02-10-2023, 12:00 PM
Crave seems to be at a crisp 720p lol. Better off getting hbo max with vpn.

I'm going to drop netflix once I get that pop up. I only watch a couple of shows and movies on it a year since their original suck now.

I'll stick to prime and the high seas on plex instead.

JustinL
02-10-2023, 12:22 PM
Same. The only reason I keep Netflix is because I share it with my family. If that reason disappears, I'll just add Netflix into the rotation.

Tik-Tok
02-10-2023, 12:25 PM
I think it's hilarious people are getting upset over this.

"How dare they not let me do something explicitly against the terms I agreed to!"

Brent.ff
02-10-2023, 12:35 PM
We share with my wifes folks, and we cancelled as soon as we heard. We only were holding onto it since we split it, not due to the quality of shows.
That being said we also have Crave/Paramount/Disney (all shared) and Prime.

Honestly, what the hell are we missing on netflix now anyway? All they're doing is regurgitating foreign shows. Cant think of a show or movie that i'll have actively missed that is on Netflix.Maybe ill join for a month or two in the future when the final season of Saul comes out.

tonytiger55
02-10-2023, 12:40 PM
I don't pay. My friend has no problem me piggybacking on thier account. We talk about the shows, what is good, crap and what episode we are on etc.

However, the quality of the shows have declined. There has been much of a focus towards woke culture, strong female leads and the female condition just for the sake of it. I would prefer watching a show with a good character (male/female). I just think what they have produced over the years is pure and and utter shit..
So I don't watch. Ive not watched in a while actually. Does not bother me.
However, if that is the demographic Netflix are targeting. Netflix needs to understand thats the demograpic that wants shit for free.
If anything, the sharing feature was to thier benefit.

D'z Nutz
02-10-2023, 12:42 PM
My sister has my password, but she doesn't really use it that much but I always kept my plan status quo in case she wants to watch anything. Now that Netflix is locking things down, I may just drop down to a lower plan or just drop it completely and get it periodically when there's something I'm interested in watching. Sometimes there are months when I don't even log into Netflix cause there's nothing that catches my eye.

sabad66
02-10-2023, 12:49 PM

"How dare they not let me do something explicitly against the terms I agreed to!"

This lol

My brothers/sisters/bro in law family are going to be pissed that their free gravy train is over but whatever. I do wonder how it will work for the extra accounts for 7.99 if your sub is paid through Telus like mine is. If it can work through that I guess I’ll offer it up if they want to keep using it

spike98
02-10-2023, 01:10 PM

I think you are missing the mark. I don't and never have shared my Netflix account. They said a while back when they put limits on streams and raised the price that it was because of sharing. So i got the kick to the nuts for something I never was a part of. Now they are saying, oh, that wasn't enough, now we have to cripple existing services to drive new activations instead of just, you know, making the service valuable to more users.

I've had it. The value for the service has long since be unbalanced and this is the straw that broke the camels back. I use the service all over western canada and occasionally for longer than their requirement. I refuse to take another hit to the value proposition and am voting with my dollars.

killramos
02-10-2023, 01:16 PM

Everyone loves stealing

rage2
02-10-2023, 01:23 PM
My kids have it signed in at my parents house (they're there once a week) and I have it signed in at work. I don't watch much on it but the family does. If we get blocked for sharing, I'm unsubscribing on principal.

ThePenIsMightier
02-10-2023, 01:23 PM
My kids have it signed in at my parents house (they're there once a week) and I have it signed in at work. I don't watch much on it but the family does. If we get blocked for sharing, I'm unsubscribing on principal.

#MeToo

Tik-Tok
02-10-2023, 01:33 PM
They said a while back when they put limits on streams and raised the price that it was because of sharing.

That was just their excuse, it really happened because of poor decisions and large deals. It would have happened regardless.

Netflix is the the SiriusXM of television.

taemo
02-10-2023, 01:44 PM
I havent watched any shows or movies on Netflix the past 2 years other than the latest Knives Outs and I could have torrented it easily too if I wanted to.
Wife had a 4K netflix plan but it is now bundled through our Telus account(downgraded to 1080p), we don't share it with others either so will probably just keep it as our daughter still watches it.

Hallowed_point
02-10-2023, 01:44 PM
Netflix is the the SiriusXM of television.

Period

schurchill39
02-10-2023, 02:06 PM
I'm still not 100% sure how they will enforce this? From what I read if you were in rage2 's position wouldn't you just need to login on to the netflix app your phone on that same wifi. So when you pick the kids up once a month login, and the same at work? If that's truly how it works and you were password sharing what would stop the other party from signing into your account on their phone at their house to verify the location?

I think this is a stupid move by netflix. There's obviously password sharing going on (we share with my inlaws) but instead of motivating people to get their own accounts its just going to push people away from the service and cause headaches for people who use it themselves in multiple locations.

msommers
02-10-2023, 02:37 PM
Each family member pays for a service. Crave seems to be the only one that gives us the occasional streaming issue -- but imo their content is awesome

Thaco
02-10-2023, 02:40 PM
i only have netflix for the inlaws, we dont even use it, so we'll be cancelling, they'll have to get their own sub.

benyl
02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
They should lower the price if they block sharing...

But they will raise it 6 months. haha

mr2mike
02-10-2023, 08:22 PM
End of Netflix is imminently clear.
I feel we're close to a pivotal move in the internets.
Google losing with chatGPT stuff.
Facebook gone in a decade.

haggis88
02-10-2023, 08:58 PM
Gonna see how it goes for me

I share my login with my parents who are still in Scotland

I've logged in from 4 provinces and 8 states in the last year, as well as back in Scotland on my phone too

They might accept my PROOVE that I travel a lot and have drivers licenses for 2 different addresses but whatever

I was close to cancelling when they lost Family Guy, Friends, TBBT and HIMYM...there's also rumors that Star Trek is next...if that happens, it's gone!

rage2
02-10-2023, 10:20 PM
I'm still not 100% sure how they will enforce this? From what I read if you were in rage2 's position wouldn't you just need to login on to the netflix app your phone on that same wifi. So when you pick the kids up once a month login, and the same at work? If that's truly how it works and you were password sharing what would stop the other party from signing into your account on their phone at their house to verify the location?

I think this is a stupid move by netflix. There's obviously password sharing going on (we share with my inlaws) but instead of motivating people to get their own accounts its just going to push people away from the service and cause headaches for people who use it themselves in multiple locations.
In my situation I’d have to haul my parents tv and my work Apple TV home to log in monthly. No thanks.

I've logged in from 4 provinces and 8 states in the last year, as well as back in Scotland on my phone too

They might accept my PROOVE that I travel a lot and have drivers licenses for 2 different addresses but whatever

I was close to cancelling when they lost Family Guy, Friends, TBBT and HIMYM...there's also rumors that Star Trek is next...if that happens, it's gone!
We’ve had a busy start to our travel year. 5 hotel logins already in 2023. All on hotel set top boxes.

npham
02-10-2023, 10:36 PM
How can it be stealing when the used to promote sharing passwords? I'm more annoyed that I have to pay for 4 screens to get "4k with shitty bitrate". Who uses 4 screens at once. Their content is getting worse and worse. If it wasn't for Telus giving me access to Netflix, I would have cancelled a while ago.

Team_Mclaren
02-10-2023, 11:12 PM

Pretty much the same for me. I often wonder how hard they are going to enforce it?!

ThePenIsMightier
02-10-2023, 11:15 PM
Pretty much the same for me. I often wonder how hard they are going to enforce it?!

I'm going to preemptively send them a picture of my flaccid penis.

mr2mike
02-11-2023, 10:16 AM

This isn't a guy pressing ok or not ok.
The algorithm is setup. It'll be a tough one.

Crave or Paramount? Which is better? Looking like crave is.

killramos
02-11-2023, 10:21 AM
I’m going to get flagged for this shit for sure lol. Just between my own places and devices.

Basically my opinion on this is the same as the people who pirate.

Thanks a lot for stealing you cheap assholes and ruining it for everyone.

ercchry
02-11-2023, 10:38 AM
Yeah the designated boxes at second properties seems to be the biggest PITA here

Seems like you need to set your “home wifi” and make sure you connect to it at least once a month with your device… not great if you spend 2-4 months elsewhere

If I had to pick just one alternative, it would be Amazon Prime. Worth it for the prime shipping alone, but there is enough add ons to cover basically all the content one needs… crave and paramount are just not there in terms of quantity

ExtraSlow
02-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Also, no need to pick one and live with that choice forever. Watch the shows you like for 6 months and quit. I've done that with disney before.

killramos
02-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Might need to setup a tunnel to my home network to get things working once a month.

max_boost
02-11-2023, 10:42 AM
Looks like more podcasts for me. If it ain’t on Disney or prime I guess I’m not watching anything with these password sharing updates lol

ercchry
02-11-2023, 10:47 AM
Might need to setup a tunnel to my home network to get things working once a month.

Hrm… I wonder if Plex could solve this?

Actually I don’t know why I don’t use this… I have a nerd friend that maintain a serious library… I could probably just switch to that and cancel all the things… I bet I’m up to more than cable costs with the amount of streaming services I have now

JustinL
02-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Also, no need to pick one and live with that choice forever. Watch the shows you like for 6 months and quit. I've done that with disney before.
This! Just rotate through the services when they have content you want. You're not marrying these things.

benyl
02-11-2023, 10:51 AM
I've got VPN's setup between my house and my mom's for the purpose of tech support.

Just have to move netflix traffic to only go through the VPN and tunnel through my IP. should be easy on Unifi, right? haha

killramos
02-11-2023, 10:55 AM
I've got VPN's setup between my house and my mom's for the purpose of tech support.

Just have to move netflix traffic to only go through the VPN and tunnel through my IP. should be easy on Unifi, right? haha

Basically exactly what I am thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I don’t know why I don’t use this… I have a nerd friend that maintain a serious library… I could probably just switch to that and cancel all the things… I bet I’m up to more than cable costs with the amount of streaming services I have now

Stealing the content is always an option yes, and it’s certainly cheaper than paying for content.

2Legit2Quit
02-11-2023, 10:55 AM
I’m going to get flagged for this shit for sure lol. Just between my own places and devices.

Basically my opinion on this is the same as the people who pirate.

Thanks a lot for stealing you cheap assholes and ruining it for everyone.
There's the pirating but I think it's more so the fact every player in the media game has their own streaming service now and no one is sharing their content with Netflix as much as they did in the past.

Netflix is becoming the odd man out, their content for the most part lately is shitty reality or irrelevant docu-series they stretch out in a painful way, and they don't make any revenue from lack of theatrical releases for their movies.

And to make up for potential loss they pull a move like this that alienates a good chunk of their customers who have become accustomed to account sharing for a decade, that even Netflix has more or less been okay with and somewhat promoted.

I'm interested to see if we and the other few countries are the guinea pigs to see if they want to let this rip in America

max_boost
02-11-2023, 10:56 AM

Kk yes sign up 1 month at a time.

ercchry
02-11-2023, 10:57 AM
Basically exactly what I am thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Stealing the content is always an option yes, and it’s certainly cheaper than paying for content.

I was thinking more so using plex to log into your streaming services, as they now populate in plex… but looks like it still opens the native app when you click on it

pheoxs
02-11-2023, 11:24 AM

I cancelled last night. Sort of in a similar boat to Rage where I let me mom use my account and I use it at work. It’s just not practical to lug stuff around to jump through those hoops. 30+ a month just isn’t worth it so back to Plex and Newsgroups for me.

If I want to watch anything on Netflix I’ll just wait until they panic and send out free trials to try to win people back.

mr2mike
02-11-2023, 11:32 AM
This will get good in the coming weeks.
Sending a message to those MBA grads.

Yolobimmer
02-11-2023, 11:41 AM
First I'm hearing of this. So I have Telus at home, a 4g Modem service at the shop, and Starlink in the truck. So I'm going to have to choose one, and sign in with the stupid TV remote every time on the others?

Time to fire up the torrent browsers.

benyl
02-11-2023, 12:56 PM
It’s seems they are asking every Tesla owner to pony up $7.99 a car.

beecue
02-11-2023, 01:52 PM
How can it be stealing when the used to promote sharing passwords? I'm more annoyed that I have to pay for 4 screens to get "4k with shitty bitrate". Who uses 4 screens at once. Their content is getting worse and worse. If it wasn't for Telus giving me access to Netflix, I would have cancelled a while ago.

Yeah there can't be that many people that use 4 devices at the same time. Would be nice if they made 4k standard and charged $5-8 per stream that's shareable.

schurchill39
02-11-2023, 02:27 PM
In my situation I’d have to haul my parents tv and my work Apple TV home to log in monthly. No thanks.

We’ve had a busy start to our travel year. 5 hotel logins already in 2023. All on hotel set top boxes.

Turns out you're right as it just shut us all down. My sister in law was over at our house yesterday so it works on her phone but it shut down her TV. How in the fuck is that going to work with people with two houses or travel to hotels etc to watch on anything but their phone? Brutal decision. We will be cancelling

Buster
02-11-2023, 03:04 PM

Plex is vastly more convenient than streaming. I dont have the time or interest to manage 18 different sub services and all of these shenanigans. My house is basically 90% plex. We do sub to Disney and Netflix...but if they get shut down then it's literally 2 clicks for me to get their shit using radarr/sonarr.

ZenOps
02-11-2023, 04:09 PM
Just got hit with the sharing banhammer. Yes, been sharing account for quite a while now. Not that I was keen on finishing off the last season of Walking Dead anyhow.

On a side note:

Hoyoverse (Genshin) is rolling in $2 Billys per year pure profit.

Metaverse is losing $13.7 Billys per year pure expenditure.

People never said they wanted reality.

shakalaka
02-11-2023, 05:31 PM
I am glad so many people are canceling or thinking of canceling. I am going to convince my wife to not sign up our own account and will try to get my dad to cancel. Fuck these assholes that first had slogans like 'caring is sharing your password' and now they get greedy and want everyone to have own accounts. As others I have other devices that gives me access to the shows if there is something I really want to watch and majority is garbage TV in the background anyway.

I would love to see them drop heavily in terms of $$ that they back paddle on this. Not that I care at that point regardless.

suntan
02-11-2023, 06:27 PM
It ain’t doing shit to their numbers. They handily exceeded sub projections.

mr2mike
02-11-2023, 09:03 PM
Give it time. I think stock will tumble this week due to this.

Xtrema
02-11-2023, 09:54 PM
Give it time. I think stock will tumble this week due to this.

I think sub loss will even out to sub gain so it's nothing burger.

So does this kill all the VPN tricks too?

Or if I set my primary location with VPN set to a fix location, I can go portable with it?

End of the day, there's nothing I'm attached to on that platform. But it's great for my parents to watch things that you can't find on TV. I'll probably downgrade to $10/mth plan and let my parents have my account and call it a day.

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2023, 10:13 PM
I'm right at the Salad Bar beside Mr. Mike. I think there is going to be a mass revolt against this and they will simply never recover.
And that makes my penor tingly.

Gman.45
02-11-2023, 11:22 PM

That's not a rumor, ALL of the Star Trek content, tv shows/films/etc, is gonzo, and soon, as all the Trek IP is owned by "another" network that has its own streaming service now, and wants the exclusive rights to their shows once the license agreements run out.

davidI
02-12-2023, 02:36 AM

Yea. I'm all for it.

I'd rather they gain more revenue and give me more content given I'm paying for it.

Yolobimmer
02-12-2023, 02:58 AM
Yea. I'm all for it.

I'd rather they gain more revenue and give me more content given I'm paying for it.

You and the stunned cunt you quote are idiots. Netflix was always advertised as a mobile servixe. They've double rates in the years, started barging more for for devices....

In fact direct quote from Netflix twitter 2017: “Love is sharing a password,”

But many of us don't share, we are nomads. Netflix and people like you can go fuck yourselves.

Thaco
02-12-2023, 10:39 AM
i'm in the camp that thinks the subs will more or less even out, however they're pissing a lot of people off in the process, so it really is going to end up being a loss in the end...

rage2
02-12-2023, 11:23 AM

The biggest issue is how they approached the problem. They encouraged password sharing, and created 4 concurrent stream tier plans JUST for password sharing. When 4k was rolled out, they forced it on the 4 stream plan, and a lot of people who never needed that many leveraged that to share their accounts with family.

By introducing a cost to share additional households without adjusting the tiers for concurrent streams, they’re effectively double dipping. And you’re restricted still by the number of streams if adding additional households.

Honestly, I’m not upset, Netflix content has been pretty stale in the last few years. It used to be loaded with Hollywood movies, but now it’s just the shitty ones as every studio has their own platform. Of their Hollywood movies that they have, I pretty much already own all the popular ones already. I kept Netflix last few years just as a convenience factor, kids can watch at my parents house, and I have more background stuff at work. By upping my monthly cost from $21 to $37 a month just isn’t worth the convenience anymore when I’m not even sharing my account.

Oh and traveling. That isn’t a huge issue as it looks like they adjusted the rules so you can login to hotels. They have blocked international usage tho, so your Canadian account won’t work in a US hotel. I suspect they might adjust this rule. I think davidI flies around the world? So he would be impacted if they don’t change the international rules.

ThePenIsMightier
02-12-2023, 11:30 AM
many words disagreeing with TikTok....

I also didn't say it made me upset.
I said it made me horny.

davidI
02-12-2023, 11:35 AM
They have blocked international usage tho, so your Canadian account won’t work in a US hotel. I suspect they might adjust this rule. I think @davidI (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=588) flies around the world? So he would be impacted if they don’t change the international rules.

My understanding is that you only need to check-in at your "home address" every 30 days. Hadn't heard about international rule but I never watched TV or Movies while traveling anyway. I can understand that being an inconvenience for others if it can't be avoided by VPN but perhaps necessary due to the different payment models and catalogues in various countries.

I'd be more worried about Bill C-11 cratering Netflix in Canada than this change, though.

I don't subscribe to Netflix very often or for very long but currently use it for Spanish Language Immersion and practice and do agree that the catalogue has become pretty stale. At the end of the day, I hope this change generates enough revenue to refresh the catalogue.

Let's not forget that 2020 and 2022 were the only years they had positive cash flow in large thanks to the pandemic. They had negative cash flow of like $10 billion between 2016-2019.

Yolobimmer
02-12-2023, 01:14 PM
So serious question.

Are there still non torrent pirate alternatives? Like weren't people loading android boxes?

Surely Russia and China doesn't give a fuck about our intellectual property, are there foreign services in English?

rage2
02-12-2023, 04:20 PM
My parents have those pirate boxes that has every show and every live channel in the world. It’s easy to use, but the quality is pure shit. There’s moments where it’s nice and maybe 1080p but it pauses, skips sections as it recovers, or drops quality to 360p. It’s unreliable and unusable for anything live such as sports.

I do flip it on every time I’m there, sky sports f1 is cool, 24/7 f1 content. When the quality drops it’s unwatchable.

ZenOps
02-12-2023, 05:29 PM
Considering going back to Bluray. When Fast and Furious 9 is six bucks, $37 goes a long way.

pheoxs
02-12-2023, 05:32 PM
It's not free but setting up usenet/newsgroups is the best and worth the effort. Sonarr/Radarr can auto-download whatever you add to your library.

rc2002
02-12-2023, 05:33 PM
Why don’t they just have thresholds and make users pay by time or data? That way, sharing passwords becomes a non-issue.

I’m surprised at how many people are upset at this. It’s like speeding and then complaining when the police start enforcing it.

Gman.45
02-12-2023, 08:26 PM
It's not free but setting up usenet/newsgroups is the best and worth the effort. Sonarr/Radarr can auto-download whatever you add to your library.

This x 100. I pay for all the streaming services, including US HBO, US Paramount+, Hulu, Netflix, Disney, Crave (blahrg), Prime, etc. Usenet/groups is by far the best option to find older titles (I'm into older films now for some reason), and free anything if you want to hoist the skull and crossbones and sail in that sea.

One thing I wonder about is if this password crackdown will affect geo location spoofing programs like VPNs/etc. Netflix is OK for $24 or whatever it is now for 4k, only IF you have access to other countries catalogues. Canada's sucks BALLS, compared to say the USA's, it has less than 2/3s the content, and the non-Netflix produced shows/films are shit in Canada's catalogue. So, I have several vpns, as certain servers for random countries won't work with X vpn, but will work for Y vpn. The way it's working now, Netflix has stopped its constant campaign to block vpns/geo, and it's pretty stable regarding which vpns work with which country/servers on Netflix.

I suspect there is going to be havoc on this specific issue with Netflix shortly.

Paramount+ and HBO Max USA is a giant PITA to get around their blocking of both Canadian IPs and credit cards, but it is doable, and their catalogues are massive compared to the Canadian options on craptastic Crave and so on. Paramount+ especially, it's hilarious how much larger the product is in the USA for the same price.

mr2mike
02-12-2023, 10:45 PM
Why don’t they just have thresholds and make users pay by time or data? That way, sharing passwords becomes a non-issue.

I’m surprised at how many people are upset at this. It’s like speeding and then complaining when the police start enforcing it.

Except police never said, speed away.
Maybe that time Montana ditched the speed limit to reasonable and prudent for a bit then rage2 ruined it for us all.

spike98
02-13-2023, 07:37 AM
Plex is vastly more convenient than streaming.

I assume you are talking about paid streaming services. Because I set up a kodi box yesterday in an hour. Uses FEN and falls back on Seren with a skin that makes it look exactly like Netflix. Multiple profiles so each person will see different content. I've done the whole Plex thing and its great for something you know you want to watch but not useful for finding new content or recommendations. I replaced all of my streaming services including netflix in one afternoon that even a 4 year old can use.

sabad66
02-13-2023, 08:12 AM
I assume you are talking about paid streaming services. Because I set up a kodi box yesterday in an hour. Uses FEN and falls back on Seren with a skin that makes it look exactly like Netflix. Multiple profiles so each person will see different content. I've done the whole Plex thing and its great for something you know you want to watch but not useful for finding new content or recommendations. I replaced all of my streaming services including netflix in one afternoon that even a 4 year old can use.

What’s the quality like on one of these kodi boxes? Maxes out at 1080p?

rage2
02-13-2023, 08:24 AM
That was literally their tiered services. You're paying by the concurrent streams you can watch. Standard with 2, Premium with 4. They're just double dipping, and doing it poorly now.

killramos
02-13-2023, 08:27 AM
See I always took concurrent streams as a big household, not sharing it with aunt Betty in Alabama

benyl
02-13-2023, 08:32 AM
Setting a home location does a few things for them.

1. Stops VPN content
2. Stops people from leveraging subscription price differences in other countries
3. Stops password sharing

This may not be just about password sharing.

ExtraSlow
02-13-2023, 08:34 AM
Setting a home location does a few things for them.

1. Stops VPN content
2. Stops people from leveraging subscription price differences in other countries
3. Stops password sharing

This may not be just about password sharing.

Good summary and that makes sense.

SilverRex
02-13-2023, 08:53 AM
epic fail on their part. They could have did a survey to gauge reaction and or have a phased approach like max sharing with 2 additional users then 6 months later down to 1, this hard cut off is going to trigger the in correct emotional response contrary to their strong believes that hooked users will return or pay. Maybe 5 years ago sure, but there are now great competition and who knows, a new streaming venue can now come in and steal this pie by offering what Netflix is prohibiting. Their absolutely poor timing when everyone is expecting some harsh market environment this year under inflationary pressures. Those making ends meet just made cutting off Netflix a no brainer

rage2
02-13-2023, 08:59 AM
They've already done a good job with #1. Blocking non regional content is just to please the content providers, and I'd say Netflix is by far tops in stopping it compared to other services.

#2 is probably pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but yea, that's probably what their international block is all about. It's primarily password sharing, there's no reason to push such a negative public response just to hide something else.

spike98
02-13-2023, 09:16 AM

Its as good as your hardware and LAN/WAN quality. I stream everything in 4k. I use the 4k Google Chrome Cast for all my TV's, have a robust WiFi mesh and a 1gb connection. I get zero buffer on 40gb files. I have it set to prefer 4k but have a minimum quality of 1080p. Haven't had an issue so far.

Yolobimmer
02-13-2023, 10:34 AM

Is a Kodi box the same as an Android box on Amazon?

Yolobimmer
02-13-2023, 10:38 AM
See I always took concurrent streams as a big household, not sharing it with aunt Betty in Alabama

Why would you make that assumption? You are literally adding extra words that didn't appear.

Like even within a house, there could be several networks running at once. I never switch my phone to wifi as an example.

Or I could be on the road, while the wife is at home.

"Concurrent" has one meaning. If you look it up in the dictionary, there isn't an asterix with bunch of adendumbs.

ganesh
02-13-2023, 11:20 AM

+1
We Share our Account with my SIL. Having said that I see no issue in Netflix charging extra for Sharing PW.
It is a subscriber based business. Why do people think that they can share the account with N number of people and not pay for it?

tha_bandit
02-13-2023, 11:26 AM
the way i see it is that you are paying for 4 streams, so this password sharing shouldn't even matter. Like rage says they are already charging in for the extra streams so this whole thing is just stupid

suntan
02-13-2023, 11:27 AM
Yeah but now you'll be paying for five.

spike98
02-13-2023, 11:28 AM
Is a Kodi box the same as an Android box on Amazon?

Yes. Kodi is an application that runs on top of android.

Yolobimmer
02-13-2023, 11:39 AM
Yes. Kodi is an application that runs on top of android.

Ok, read up a bit. So what's the cheapest device that works "smoothly" with Kodi you would reccomend? Fire stick? Or??

suntan
02-13-2023, 11:49 AM
til yolobimmer learned about kodi today lol.

tonytiger55
02-13-2023, 12:05 PM
I watched a clip on social media. It pretty much sums up what has been discussed on this thread.

The change has made people re-evaluate thier usage with Netflix and if they are getting value. People had been suscribers for a decade and seen prices go up. Quality of shows go down and good competition emerge.

Im thinking about paying extra $7.99 now. Or I might upgrade my whole IPTV thing. But my friend said, she has been thinking about it and she may downgrade her susbcription package to basic.

I don't think it was a good move by Netflix. If they resticted the accounts, then sure. Three or four households on one account.
This is what makes it worth it vs its competetion. Sure TV shows are Okkaaay. But we get to share with other people. But kill that, what value do you get with Netflix?

Edit: Yolobimmer Dont get the fire stick. Stick with a Android box and get a bluetooth keyboard.

ZenOps
02-13-2023, 12:25 PM
+1
We Share our Account with my SIL. Having said that I see no issue in Netflix charging extra for Sharing PW.
It is a subscriber based business. Why do people think that they can share the account with N number of people and not pay for it?

By that rationale, how many devices do you have hooked up to your internet and are you paying extra for each device? 12 ports router for just me, plus three WIFI devices.

suntan
02-13-2023, 12:31 PM
Gross, I have to respond to a zo post.

The difference being, your crap is on an internal network. Netflix's shit costs money for them to stream in the form of bandwidth costs. Also other costs like licensing content and producing new content and paying employees.

ganesh
02-13-2023, 12:34 PM
By that rationale, how many devices do you have hooked up to your internet and are you paying extra for each device? 12 ports router for just me, plus three WIFI devices.

Wrong Comparison :)
Do you share your Internet with your uncles 3rd Cousin who lives in Yellowknife? - The Answer is No

shakalaka
02-13-2023, 12:47 PM
So apparently Netflix announced that they are not bringing this change to US after all the backlash, except Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

They are still doing it in Canada, New Zealand and Australia (maybe some other places) because evidently we are a bunch of pussies that don't matter.

The Cosworth
02-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Only had it logged into my inlaws for my kids (since the inlaws cant use it anyway). Was on the $6.99 plan and was now paying $17 for what I feel like is more crap programming. Back when it was $7, Netflix was all I watched. Now I am on Paramount, HBO, Crave, etc almost as much. Such a pain in the ass.

Dropped down to the $10.00 plan only for my kids to watch their shows and the decent UI.

spike98
02-13-2023, 12:57 PM
Ok, read up a bit. So what's the cheapest device that works "smoothly" with Kodi you would reccomend? Fire stick? Or??

I use google chromecast with google TV 4k on all my TV's. You can use a fire stick but there is a few more hoops to jump through because its an amazon layer over android. Native Android works better.

As mentioned a bluetooth keyboard will help for setup but not necessary at all once configured.

pheoxs
02-13-2023, 01:01 PM
because evidently we are a bunch of pussies that don't matter.

Seems accurate based on how many people in this thread are defending Netflix.

suntan
02-13-2023, 01:03 PM

lol defend? Do what you want, it's your money.

The Cosworth
02-13-2023, 01:03 PM

Lets not discuss taxing billionaires next. :P

davidI
02-13-2023, 01:10 PM

If other people steal it ends up costing me more. :dunno:

Maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon where I think the younger generation are the laziest bunch of freeloaders ever.

rage2
02-13-2023, 01:13 PM
+1
Again, they're double dipping. If they're going to charge by households, then drop the additional stream upcharge. If I was sharing with 2 relatives and have to pay for 3 households, don't charge me more based on how many total people are going to watch concurrently. Literally paying by 2 different models. Or subsequently, the old model, pay for how many concurrent streams you're going to watch, and not charge for where it's being watched.

End of the day, I didn't even realize they've bumped up the price so much over the years. It's just a talking point to re-evaluate if it's even worth the subscription (hint, it's not). Might sub for a month to watch DTS and that's it.

For comparison of value, I pay $17 CAD a month for HBO Max USA. And it's got easily 5x more real content than Netflix, which currently costs me $21 CAD.

If other people steal it ends up costing me more. :dunno:

Maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon where I think the younger generation are the laziest bunch of freeloaders ever.
Come on man, that's not even the case here. I'm the staunchest proponent for paying for content. Charging for additional use using 2 different models is a rip off, plain and simple. People have been paying Netflix via higher stream counts for sharing already. I don't even share my account at all, and what Netflix is doing is stupid.

shakalaka
02-13-2023, 01:15 PM

Well that is essentially what I was implying. :rofl:

But I imagine the real reason is the lack of population considering entire Canada is fewer people than California alone. So the market is perfect to test out a controversial new rule in and not worry too much about getting hurt financially. Especially when coupled with a bunch of people thinking they are being righteous by wanting to pay and thinking it's fair.

No point in repeating the whole thing but for all the that are in favour - the issue isn't that now we gotta pay extra $10-$20/month to keep the service. The issue is that the said service promoted, condoned and marketed 'sharing' as a massive pro to gain traction and become a well-established company when they first started, then charged extra for multiple screens, and now after all this time this change is contrary to what they called themselves initially and what they stood for. So essentially money-hungry in my books. I don't give a fuck about the extra 20 bucks, it's about the principal as I said. So yea, call me a young lazy generation, but fuck that corporate backhanded and untrustworthy bullshit. I don't want to be affiliated with a company that does that. Simple as that.

Everyone is an adult here so do what you want.

DTS will be on my IPTV/Kodi and other platforms likely the same day it's fuckin released on Netflix.