PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen sinks...

03ozwhip
02-23-2023, 06:20 PM
Hoping to redo our kitchen soon and looking into different sinks. Wife wants a brushed bronze/goldfish tap and was thinking about a white farm sink.

Does anyone here have one and if so, pros and cons of them? Any suggestions on what to look for?

Tik-Tok
02-23-2023, 06:45 PM
We've got a Kohler white enamelled cast iron farm sink. Looks good when white and shiny, but doesn't take long for the bottom to get lightly stained. Keep some barkeepers friend on hand, it brings it back nicely.

msommers
02-23-2023, 06:47 PM
+1 for Barkeepers Friend, stuff is fantastic

littledan
02-23-2023, 06:48 PM
Oh ya. I have more opinions than I have assholes on this one.

Farm sink is great, especially if you are short as fuck like me. It reduces the distance between your body and the dishes so you arent hunched forward in an awkward postion. Big plus.

For fireclay farm sink, definitely try and find one with a sink grid as an option to keep dishes from smashing the bottom.

For faucets, pretty much personal preference but I like the ones that go up, do a 180, and hang back down so the water comes from lower and doesnt splash as much. My current faucet is not like that so it splashes worse than those dumbass sinks with the built in dyson blower dryers.

/endopinion

ThePenIsMightier
02-23-2023, 08:02 PM
Single (farm?) sinks are titties.
Faucet = Moen Delaney with the hand sensors. Awesome.

03ozwhip
02-23-2023, 09:13 PM
Oh ya. I have more opinions than I have assholes on this one.

Farm sink is great, especially if you are short as fuck like me. It reduces the distance between your body and the dishes so you arent hunched forward in an awkward postion. Big plus.

For fireclay farm sink, definitely try and find one with a sink grid as an option to keep dishes from smashing the bottom.

For faucets, pretty much personal preference but I like the ones that go up, do a 180, and hang back down so the water comes from lower and doesnt splash as much. My current faucet is not like that so it splashes worse than those dumbass sinks with the built in dyson blower dryers.

/endopinion

Whha about staining from food or something, is that ever a problem littledan

littledan
02-24-2023, 12:22 AM
Hasnt been an issue really. It will pick up stain from tea or lets say butter chicken but a bit of vim will take it right off and its back to clean white. So far after 5+ years use still looks good

We did have an issue with our sink grids though as our sink did not come with a grid and I couldnt find a custom fit one. So I bought two smaller grids that straddle the garberator/drain. The edges of the grids were wearing into the sides of the sink creating a bit of an indent. I rigged up some plastic bumpers on the edges and work good now. But a sink w/ factory grid would be much better.

eblend
02-24-2023, 09:19 AM
We have a blanco black granite sink for last 6 years or so. I love the single big bowl personally. I hate the look of farm sinks (mostly the way you have to trim around them), so it's a good alternative. Also being black it doesn't stain.

https://cdn.blanco.com/assets/derivateOPK/blanco_756x700/hlr-system/png/711/84711.png

88CRX
02-24-2023, 09:43 AM
We have a blanco black granite sink for last 6 years or so. I love the single big bowl personally. I hate the look of farm sinks (mostly the way you have to trim around them), so it's a good alternative. Also being black it doesn't stain.

+1 for Blanco. We have a grey one and its awesome.

Personally I hate the single large sinks, how the hell do you wash and rinse dishes?

ThePenIsMightier
02-24-2023, 09:47 AM

Personally I hate the single large sinks, how the hell do you wash and rinse dishes?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

*I'm instances where the word "will" means imported, underpaid TFW who you threaten to not vouch for her PR card

schurchill39
02-24-2023, 09:59 AM

https://cdn.blanco.com/assets/derivateOPK/blanco_756x700/hlr-system/png/711/84711.png

We have the same one but with the drain in the center. It still stains with tea bags but cleans easy. +1 for grates. We run rubber/plastic ones in both the kitchen sink and my bar sink and they are the best.

mr2mike
02-24-2023, 09:59 AM
Large single sink people don't care about water usage.
Double the volume to fill to a level you can wash anything.

schurchill39
02-24-2023, 10:00 AM
Large single sink people don't care about water usage.
Double the volume to fill to a level you can wash anything.

We don't ever fill it. We just let the water run at a medium stream and scrub with a wash wand.

XylathaneGTR
02-24-2023, 10:23 AM
I also have one of the large single-basin blanco granite sinks pictured in the thread (also with the centre drain). Holds up really well - easy to clean, looks good all the time. I really dislike the farm sink w/ "wrap-around trim on the front" that's popular with chic-farmhouse/89coupe builder grade stuff right now. Will look very dated in the future, and any replacement means you're also redoing counters if you want to change styles.

My biggest reason for choosing the single basin over the double is because large cookwear cannot lay flat in a doulbe-basin; makes things more difficult to clean.

Would recommend a water softener for any non-chrome/steel finished faucets, too.

flipstah
02-24-2023, 10:28 AM
Single bowl>double bowl

Definitely regret not going single bowl.

03ozwhip
02-24-2023, 10:50 AM
Single bowl>double bowl

Definitely regret not going single bowl.

We've always had a double bowl but I want something that fits a fucking pan in it lol

ExtraSlow
02-24-2023, 10:52 AM
Wow, I would have to completely change how I wash dishes if I had a single bowl. Don't think I'd like that.

prae
02-24-2023, 10:58 AM
I went back to a silgranit double bowl after a decade with a single bowl stainless (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0032BYM4Y). I like the shorter depth and easier ability to fill a smaller sink, but i do sometimes miss the capaciousness of a big single bowl.

bjstare
02-24-2023, 11:43 AM
I also have one of the large single-basin blanco granite sinks pictured in the thread (also with the centre drain). Holds up really well - easy to clean, looks good all the time. I really dislike the farm sink w/ "wrap-around trim on the front" that's popular with chic-farmhouse/89coupe builder grade stuff right now. Will look very dated in the future, and any replacement means you're also redoing counters if you want to change styles.

My biggest reason for choosing the single basin over the double is because large cookwear cannot lay flat in a doulbe-basin; makes things more difficult to clean.

Would recommend a water softener for any non-chrome/steel finished faucets, too.

Agree, this modern farmhouse look is going to age about as well as satin gold lighting & faucets, which is... not well. Good plan if you can afford to reno every 5 years, not so good if you are a 15 year reno cycle type person.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2023, 11:49 AM
I'm going to build a kitchen with a huge single sink AND a double sink right beside it. MOAR SINKZZ.,

littledan
02-24-2023, 12:41 PM
Agree, this modern farmhouse look is going to age about as well as satin gold lighting & faucets, which is... not well. Good plan if you can afford to reno every 5 years, not so good if you are a 15 year reno cycle type person.

Anyone got pics? I can't seem to picture that. My farmhouse sink is just a sink set under the counter slab and the sink itself protrudes forward beyond the edge of the slab but there is no trim or anything.

edit: this is generally how mine is configured 111561

Tik-Tok
02-24-2023, 01:22 PM

We bought ours 9 years ago, and they were popular before then, and according to this thread they're still popular now :dunno:

ThePenIsMightier
02-24-2023, 01:26 PM
I'm going to build a kitchen with a huge single sink AND a double sink right beside it. MOAR SINKZZ.,

Is Xhibit pimping your crib, Dawg?!

ExtraSlow
02-24-2023, 01:27 PM
I had to look up what modern farmhouse even meant. I am not stylish, but I think I like it better than the very brown look my kitchen has now. Still seems you could use any kind of sink with that style.

mr2mike
02-24-2023, 01:49 PM
My single sink does allow for a bit more dishes to be stored.
But you lose a lot of counter space.
Regreting my builder grade reno.

haggis88
02-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Single (farm?) sinks are titties.
Faucet = Moen Delaney with the hand sensors. Awesome.

I knew I was poor, but I didn't know I was can't afford kitchen taps poor!

XylathaneGTR
02-24-2023, 02:15 PM
Anyone got pics? I can't seem to picture that. My farmhouse sink is just a sink set under the counter slab and the sink itself protrudes forward beyond the edge of the slab but there is no trim or anything.
edit: this is generally how mine is configured 111561

That's the modern farmhouse look we're all shittin' on, brah (or at least, I am. I really dislike that front trim).

killramos
02-24-2023, 02:47 PM
My single sink does allow for a bit more dishes to be stored.
But you lose a lot of counter space.
Regreting my builder grade reno.

That picture gives me heartburn

ThePenIsMightier
02-24-2023, 02:57 PM
I knew I was poor, but I didn't know I was can't afford kitchen taps poor!

Mine was like $450... Yes, that's quad the price of a piece of shit, but I bet Rolls Royce makes one that's "hand crafted by Hydrologists" for $4,500...

mr2mike
02-24-2023, 03:13 PM
That picture gives me heartburn

I've got Tums in there somewhere.

littledan
02-24-2023, 03:17 PM
That's the modern farmhouse look we're all shittin' on, brah (or at least, I am. I really dislike that front trim).

But but but... there's no trim... its just the front wall of the sink...

:cry:

msommers
02-24-2023, 03:46 PM
I was wondering what the hell you guys were talking about. I guess apron sink/farmhouse sink is the same?

eblend
02-24-2023, 03:51 PM

That's the problem haha, it looks nasty :P My opinion of course. Some aren't that 90 degree and have more curves to them. In either way, replacing that in the future would mean custom trim. Even the one with the nice looking kitchen posted above has visible caulk right on the front...the most visible spot....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Here are some idea of what I meant about trimming out. Sink has to be basically build specifically for that cabinet, else you got gaps

https://i.imgur.com/PH9igH3.jpeg

I dunno...I let water run...soap it up and rinse it off...put on the side to dry? Is there another way? I have seen some people soak stuff in one and then wash in the other...or some wash in one and dry in the other....thought that was weird haha. To each their own I guess.

littledan
02-24-2023, 04:08 PM
... Even the one with the nice looking kitchen posted above has visible caulk right on the front...the most visible spot....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I call BS on this one. Beyond.ca is well aware of the fact that you like as much caulk right in front of your face as possible.

XylathaneGTR
02-24-2023, 04:26 PM

trim shmim, same diff. All that matters is that you're happy with it :)

killramos
02-24-2023, 04:27 PM
Too much cock for my taste

tirebob
02-24-2023, 04:47 PM
Too much cock for my taste

Never mind too much... If you are tasting cock at all you are doing it wrong.

schurchill39
02-24-2023, 09:44 PM

And this whole "no upper cabinet" trend. Its fucking atrocious and gets rid of so much storage. If you do floating shelves it just looks cluttered. Thats a trend that I can't wait to die.

eblend
02-25-2023, 11:36 PM
And this whole "no upper cabinet" trend. Its fucking atrocious and gets rid of so much storage. If you do floating shelves it just looks cluttered. Thats a trend that I can't wait to die.

Quoted for truth. I presume this also falls for open shelving. Guess people like to dust their dishes all the time.

mr2mike
02-26-2023, 01:15 AM
Just store them all in the dishwasher, what's the issue?

tonytiger55
02-27-2023, 09:41 AM
Im trying to figure out how to replace my undersink in my condo. Its a double with a garberator thats sinking (gettit? my sink is sinking..? lol:burnout:). I just want drop in sink that is single.
But due to the size of he dimentions of the current one and the cut of the granite. Not sure if I can do it without it being too much work.
My current sink is a Blanco. A plummer recommeded the Kindred brand to look at.

flipstah
02-27-2023, 10:41 AM
Im trying to figure out how to replace my undersink in my condo. Its a double with a garberator thats sinking (gettit? my sink is sinking..? lol:burnout:). I just want drop in sink that is single.
But due to the size of he dimentions of the current one and the cut of the granite. Not sure if I can do it without it being too much work.
My current sink is a Blanco. A plummer recommeded the Kindred brand to look at.

Do you want to keep it undermount? Why not slap on a drop in sink after?

Regardless, you'll need to get countertop out to get the undermount sink out.

tonytiger55
02-27-2023, 10:57 AM
Do you want to keep it undermount? Why not slap on a drop in sink after?

No, no undermount. The sink can actually come out below without removing the countertop. Thats atually the easy part.
I do want to stick a drop in sink. The issue is the curvature of the granite on all four corners and finding a drop in sink with the measurements. 29' across and 15.75' wide. Then there is the issue of the curvature/radius of the granite on the corners.

Once that is done, granite hole for the faucet may need to be re-cut to make it allign with the new drop in sink. Seems like a lot of work. $$$.

bjstare
02-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Undermount >>> drop-in. There's not really ever a case for drop in (aside from cost), is there?

Also fwiw, there shouldn't ever be a reason to take the countertop out to get an undermount sink out (especially if it's already separating from the counter). Undermount sinks are usually just siliconed in after cabinet boxes/counters are finished.

tonytiger55
02-27-2023, 11:09 AM
Undermount >>> drop-in. There's not really ever a case for drop in (aside from cost), is there?.

Its the weight and size of the pots I use. I cook a lot. Drop in is better. The undermounts are hanging on for dear life.

flipstah
02-27-2023, 11:17 AM
Its the weight and size of the pots I use. I cook a lot. Drop in is better. The undermounts are hanging on for dear life.

What if you just reinforce the undermount sink?

tonytiger55
02-27-2023, 11:28 AM
What if you just reinforce the undermount sink?

Thats the other option I think I will go with. I don't like the double sink. But meh.
I spoke to my plummer to re-seal it. He says they now add hooks to the side too. But we will see. I may reinforce it further after.

msommers
02-27-2023, 11:37 AM
We routinely use cast iron pans and pots, zero issue with an undermount sink. Ours has some bracing straps underneath, plus some sealant against the granite that I'm sure is basically industrial superglue.

03ozwhip
02-27-2023, 11:52 AM
We routinely use cast iron pans and pots, zero issue with an undermount sink. Ours has some bracing straps underneath, plus some sealant against the granite that I'm sure is basically industrial superglue.

The house I'm in is the only house I've ever had with a drop in sink. I hate them, never had an issue with an undermount in all the times I've had one.

XylathaneGTR
02-27-2023, 12:08 PM
Agreed - sounds like a builder grade install at the condo.

nismodrifter
02-27-2023, 02:57 PM
I believe sink installs were a hot topic on here circa 2017. Something to the effect of you should be able to stand in the undermount sink without it breaking off. Anything less is builder grade.

JRSC00LUDE
02-27-2023, 03:13 PM
Just store them all in the dishwasher, what's the issue?

Doesn't everyone have one dishwasher for clean and one for dirty that you just cycle through?

flipstah
02-27-2023, 03:54 PM
Doesn't everyone have one dishwasher for clean and one for dirty that you just cycle through?

Are we talking about the machine or people?

msommers
02-27-2023, 04:04 PM
You can't take the TFWs home, Flipstah.

ExtraSlow
02-27-2023, 04:24 PM
They taste like home.

flipstah
02-27-2023, 04:40 PM
You can't take the TFWs home, Flipstah.

If they're my aunt, I can

schurchill39
02-28-2023, 07:54 AM

Wait... what?

flipstah
02-28-2023, 10:38 AM
Wait... what?

Sorry;my sample size for that statement was 1 and it was my kitchen. The under cabinet doors were too small to shove in a sink and since they were redoing my countertop, I assumed it has to come off because it's 'sandwiched' in.

prae
02-28-2023, 04:52 PM
Sorry;my sample size for that statement was 1 and it was my kitchen. The under cabinet doors were too small to shove in a sink and since they were redoing my countertop, I assumed it has to come off because it's 'sandwiched' in.

most modern cabinets won't have a center "post" between the two doors, so it'll be easy to drop the sink down and pull it out.

eg. https://i.stack.imgur.com/qXprU.jpg

edit: ignore the red emphasis. Modern face-frame cabinets won't have the center post above the red highlighted box.