PDA

View Full Version : Alfa Romeo 4C

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 03:24 PM
What's the word on these? I am contemplating getting into one and comparing to the likes of Supra etc., but I am highly concerned about not being able to fit into one considering that they seem quite small. Lack of power steering seems to be another issue but it won't be a daily so not a main concern. I've only ever seen one in real life and that was a while ago and really liked the looks of it.

Buster
04-26-2023, 03:38 PM
What's the word on these? I am contemplating getting into one and comparing to the likes of Supra etc., but I am highly concerned about not being able to fit into one considering that they seem quite small. Lack of power steering seems to be another issue but it won't be a daily so not a main concern. I've only ever seen one in real life and that was a while ago and really liked the looks of it.

I'm sure there is a long answer, but the short answer is they are bad.

killramos
04-26-2023, 03:38 PM
Small. Uncomfortable. Expensive. Not really that fast.

Aside from that I think they are awesome, think I read something about the carbon tub cracking which makes them difficult to buy used.

benyl
04-26-2023, 03:42 PM
sounds like a great buy.

Buster
04-26-2023, 04:01 PM
they also have a shitty old suspension setup

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 04:02 PM
The general reviews online are actually quite positive and in fact our favourite Doug DeMuro calls it a 'baby supercar'. lol

Buster
04-26-2023, 04:18 PM
The general reviews online are actually quite positive and in fact our favourite Doug DeMuro calls it a 'baby supercar'. lol

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/the-most-disappointing-cars-ive-driven-1-alfa-romeo-4c/

JustinL
04-26-2023, 04:30 PM
Everything I've heard about them has been pretty positive and they aren't that expensive (mid $70s). They are supposed to be great on track according to the rennlist track forum. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1067927-991-c2s-vs-alfa-romeo-4c-question.html

C4S
04-26-2023, 04:50 PM
Good price, sexy, good performance, rare ...

It isn't that small inside, say you are average 6' and 170lb, plenty of room, as long as you are under 6'3, not fat, under 200 lb, will be fine.

Very good price when they were launched... not sure now

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 04:53 PM
I am 6.1 and 220lbs of pure muscle (in my head - in reality at least 30% body fat). lol

ThePenIsMightier
04-26-2023, 05:06 PM
So how did that gangly fuck, Doug Demura fit in there?! He looks like he's 6'-5" of awkward twat.

max_boost
04-26-2023, 05:07 PM
I am 6.1 and 220lbs of pure muscle (in my head - in reality at least 30% body fat). lol

this car will look tight on you :D

ExtraSlow
04-26-2023, 05:09 PM
You should be able to live with it for 8-12 weeks.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-26-2023, 05:09 PM
I’m 6’2” and didn’t have a hope in hell fitting in one, even with the seat bolted in the lowest of three settings.

max_boost
04-26-2023, 05:15 PM
those cars are for small ppl like me

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 05:22 PM
Fuck hey...I really like the looks of it and it's cheap AF at mid 70's for what it is but yea the size is definitely an issue.

Buster
04-26-2023, 05:29 PM
It's cheap because it's not very good. Shit interior. A suspension setup that has no business being on a sports car and shit steering. And a little fiat four banger.

killramos
04-26-2023, 05:53 PM
I mean I know every car on the planet is worth meth money these days.

But 70k for a used old 4C doesn’t feel “cheap” to me

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 06:50 PM
I guess relatively speaking.

The thing that appeals to me the most about it is how rare it is. I love shit that's not common. So to find something that uncommon at that price point seems 'cheap' to me as normally it's the multi-6 figure cars that are rare.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-26-2023, 06:55 PM
I guess relatively speaking.

The thing that appeals to me the most about it is how rare it is. I love shit that's not common. So to find something that uncommon at that price point seems 'cheap' to me as normally it's the multi-6 figure cars that are rare.

Plymouth Prowlers are rare too. Doesn’t mean they are good.

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 07:03 PM
Plymouth Prowlers are rare too. Doesn’t mean they are good.

I should have mentioned; how rare it is and how good/supercar-like it looks like. lol

killramos
04-26-2023, 07:05 PM
I think you should buy a kit car

ExtraSlow
04-26-2023, 07:11 PM
We should stop trying to talk Shak out of any car. It's only making us look stupid.

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 07:13 PM
I've pretty much been talked out of this one.

ThePenIsMightier
04-26-2023, 07:13 PM
I've pretty much been talked out of this one.

*Buys two

killramos
04-26-2023, 07:14 PM
We should stop trying to talk Shak out of any car. It's only making us look stupid.

I recall saying I like them actually. Just that I don’t agree they are “cheap”

Disoblige
04-26-2023, 07:33 PM
Buy one and sell it to me in 2 weeks.

No red rims tho pls.

Gman.45
04-26-2023, 08:46 PM
Shak, I was hot for the 4C once too, I thought it was going to be "the" car for me for years, until I sat in one. Tried to sit in one. We're the same height, I'm maybe 1/2 and inch shorter than you, and weighed 225 when I went to look at a 4C (was powerlifting at the time, so not out of shape like I'm getting now after 6 months in a wheel chair). Like Twin Cam, I couldn't fit in it for shit. One thing though, I have relatively shorter legs than most 6'0 people, 32" inseam instead of the typical 34" or longer. So there is an extra couple/few inches in my back height when I sit in vehicles, but no matter how much I tried to convince myself I could live with it - nope. With a helmet, absolutely impossible.

Why not check out the new Lotus, or even the previous model? Their seats lean back a LOT further than the 4C's can, and there is more space overall too. Not as cheap as a used 4C, but not a ton more either. I know how you feel about the 4C, I love everything about it, except the interior size. Sad face.

edit - there is the Spider to consider, I'd forgot about that. With the roof off, you may fit in one of those a lot better, just if it starts raining, you might be looking at some issues.

Buster
04-26-2023, 08:54 PM
Shak, I was hot for the 4C once too, I thought it was going to be "the" car for me for years, until I sat in one. Tried to sit in one. We're the same height, I'm maybe 1/2 and inch shorter than you, and weighed 225 when I went to look at a 4C (was powerlifting at the time, so not out of shape like I'm getting now after 6 months in a wheel chair). Like Twin Cam, I couldn't fit in it for shit. One thing though, I have relatively shorter legs than most 6'0 people, 32" inseam instead of the typical 34" or longer. So there is an extra couple/few inches in my back height when I sit in vehicles, but no matter how much I tried to convince myself I could live with it - nope. With a helmet, absolutely impossible.

Why not check out the new Lotus, or even the previous model? Their seats lean back a LOT further than the 4C's can, and there is more space overall too. Not as cheap as a used 4C, but not a ton more either. I know how you feel about the 4C, I love everything about it, except the interior size. Sad face.

I'm not sure if you have been following the shit show that is the emira launch.... But they are going to come in around 150 cdn for the 4 cylinder I think.

pheoxs
04-26-2023, 09:27 PM
I can’t really see any reason to take a 4C over a Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora if you’re looking for a small rare miata. I can’t imagine the Alfa is fun to deal with if anything breaks. Though if you only own it 12 weeks then maybe that’s not an issue.

shakalaka
04-26-2023, 09:34 PM

edit - there is the Spider to consider, I'd forgot about that. With the roof off, you may fit in one of those a lot better, just if it starts raining, you might be looking at some issues.

Thanks for this. Pretty much the final nail in the coffin for my decision against it. Simply because I wouldn't fit. I am going over some other options as well (RS5, 718 Cayman, F Type Conv. etc.) so let's see what happens. Wouldn't mind a Lotus but not really seeing many around through my usual sources.

pheoxs
04-26-2023, 09:39 PM
https://lotusvancouver.com/listings/2018-lotus-evora-400-us-model

pricey but 400hp supercharged edition

Gman.45
04-26-2023, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure if you have been following the shit show that is the emira launch.... But they are going to come in around 150 cdn for the 4 cylinder I think.

I know, it's coming in a fair bit higher than the 70k USD it was initially going to cost. We'll have to see in q4 how much it's going to be, and how much higher than MSRP the raping will be. I'm truly hoping for 120, but that's likely overly optimistic. Pheoxs linked a Lotus that is on autotrader as well that I was referring to.

Shak, IMO the Cayman as you mentioned is a really great car too. Porsche Calgary however are huge dicks IMO, like "I used to fantasize about laying waste to their inventory from a nearby rooftop some night" sort of dicks. They still have a deposit of mine they refused to return, but that's another story. Long time ago, and IIRC Shak had a Porsche already and probably has a good relationship with someone there now.

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 10:23 AM
Yea I've got good connections at Porsche so that's not an issue. In fact, going to checkout a 2022 718 Cayman S this afternoon. It has never been something I have looked out for and it's priced higher than what I'd like at almost same price as that Lotus but the biggest reason I want to try it out is cause it's manual transmission. Think it would be neat to have a dedicated sports car that's a stick shit and while not 'cheap', still somewhat reasonable given the market. I assume it'll hold value better than everything else in its comparison as well.

JustinL
04-27-2023, 10:38 AM
Are you looking at the Edmonton dealer? If so, have a look at the 718 spyder they have in stock. It's a manual and basically a GT4 convertible. There is also a 997 GT3 manual for about the same price. Neither of those cars will depreciate on you and will scratch the current itch you have.

Buster
04-27-2023, 10:42 AM
I suck ass at heel toe downshifts, so the auto blip is nice for me. Wife doesn't drive stick, so that's never an option unfortunately.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2023, 10:50 AM
Cayman is a good car.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-27-2023, 10:52 AM
Are you looking at the Edmonton dealer? If so, have a look at the 718 spyder they have in stock. It's a manual and basically a GT4 convertible. There is also a 997 GT3 manual for about the same price. Neither of those cars will depreciate on you and will scratch the current itch you have.

This. 4cyl Cayman is a no, not that desirable and you will have a harder time getting rid of it.

Buster
04-27-2023, 11:16 AM
This. 4cyl Cayman is a no, not that desirable and you will have a harder time getting rid of it.

this this this.

XylathaneGTR
04-27-2023, 11:18 AM
I am going over some other options as well (RS5, 718 Cayman, F Type Conv. etc.) so let's see what happens. Wouldn't mind a Lotus but not really seeing many around through my usual sources.
given you already have an R8 ragtop, not sure how an ftype vert would tick any box the r8 doesn't (other than being your next dopamine hit). It's really nothing different - it's slower, less exotic, not overly "unique."
If you got bored of the AMG GT & the Vantagte, you'd get bored of this one too (and probably faster).

Gman.45
04-27-2023, 11:23 AM
The flat 6 Cayman also sounds 10x better than the 4cyl S engine. Sound is the top of my list now, tied with interior/seats when I'm looking at cars, and the Cayman GTS 4.0 is great for both IMO.

Interested to hear what you think of the Cayman if you drive it Shak, compared to your other cars, but mostly for the manual trans/sound impression.

A friend of mine that I used to train with in the USA recently bought a 911 Turbo S, but he had the 718 Spyder before that, and that was a very, very cool car.

Buster
04-27-2023, 11:25 AM
The flat 6 Cayman also sounds 10x better than the 4cyl S engine. Sound is the top of my list now, tied with interior/seats when I'm looking at cars, and the Cayman GTS 4.0 is great for both IMO.

Interested to hear what you think of the Cayman if you drive it Shak, compared to your other cars, but mostly for the manual trans/sound impression.

I should get some more detailed info from you on the LC500. I'm very seriously considering ordering a 2024 with the refreshed interior and the new exterior colors. I dont really need a dedicated sports car and a GT car is much more suited to Calgary's driving environment with no fun roads and lots of freeway time.

rage2
04-27-2023, 11:33 AM
I should get some more detailed info from you on the LC500. I'm very seriously considering ordering a 2024 with the refreshed interior and the new exterior colors. I dont really need a dedicated sports car and a GT car is much more suited to Calgary's driving environment with no fun roads and lots of freeway time.
Get the vert and we can be friends.

Buster
04-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Get the vert and we can be friends.

My suboptimal hair inventory (thanks middle age!) makes me think a vert is a bad idea.

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 11:38 AM
Will keep everybody informed. I really want to cap this at no more than 100K so the 718 Spyder and those other such options are much closer to the R8 price point..so at that level doesn't even make sense and I much rather stick to the R8. I am trying to save some money at the same time while still having something somewhat decent.

I've never been a big vert guy, but after the Spyder if the right option and packages and price comes along, I wouldn't hesitate. Especially now that it would be a 4th car or 5th vehicle in the house including my Ducati. But it really needs to check all other boxes for me to opt for vert over coupe as I hate the body lines that get ruined with ragtops.

2018 M4 Cab (hard top) crossed my path yesterday but with the M850 already, I think I want to stay away from another Bimmer.

max_boost
04-27-2023, 11:39 AM
C4S is the guy if you buy lexus

rage2
04-27-2023, 11:40 AM
My suboptimal hair inventory (thanks middle age!) makes me think a vert is a bad idea.
You’ll be more aerodynamic than me.

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 11:40 AM
I have a super Lexus connection here in Edmonton - let me know if you need me to put you in touch with him Buster.

XylathaneGTR
04-27-2023, 11:44 AM
I really want to cap this at no more than 100K so the 718 Spyder and those other such options are much closer to the R8 price point..so at that level doesn't even make sense and I much rather stick to the R8.
New LC500 will break that cap, not a tonne of them on the used market. 2024 is interesting since they've FINALLY updated the interior and removed the track pad - i'd seriously look at one of those in a few years after it's depreciated a bit (since I don't make 89coupe money).
Would you offload the m850 for the LC500? Those two are essentially in the same class (big fat mile munchers, with the BMW perhaps being a bit more of a "drivers-oriented" car).

B.Spilner
04-27-2023, 11:46 AM
Nothing to add as I haven't really researched them, but a lot of the lotus guys are always debating about them vs Lotus.

killramos
04-27-2023, 12:05 PM
New LC500 will break that cap, not a tonne of them on the used market. 2024 is interesting since they've FINALLY updated the interior and removed the track pad - i'd seriously look at one of those in a few years after it's depreciated a bit (since I don't make 89coupe money).
Would you offload the m850 for the LC500? Those two are essentially in the same class (big fat mile munchers, with the BMW perhaps being a bit more of a "drivers-oriented" car).

He’s just buying for the sake of buying.

We should just tell him to buy a genesis because one of the kardashians drives one or something to that effect.

XylathaneGTR
04-27-2023, 12:53 PM
Not that I know him at all, I don't think shak would care what's "popculture-hawt" "right now. There are only so many models out there and when you've owned 35 of them over the last 3 or 4 years and gotta keep hitting the dopamine button, you start to run out of options.

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 12:56 PM
I am actually trying to make a financially prudent decision for a change and thinking of unloading the R8 for something cheaper, but still somewhat fun. Of course the absolute best decision would be to unload the R8 all together and not replace it with anything else considering the other vehicles I have, but then I wouldn't be me.

PS: I actually like the Genesis, though nothing to do with the Kardashians or any of those attention whores.

killramos
04-27-2023, 12:57 PM
I don’t see any practical difference between that and buying something because it is “exotic looking”

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 12:58 PM

LC500 are cool looking cars but they do not appeal to me for whatever reason. Just doesn't seem like something that I would enjoy. I love the M850 so far so I want to keep that for a while and LC might be too similar to that as you said.

killramos
04-27-2023, 12:58 PM
I am actually trying to make a financially prudent decision for a change and thinking of unloading the R8 for something cheaper, but still somewhat fun. Of course the absolute best decision would be to unload the R8 all together and not replace it with anything else considering the other vehicles I have, but then I wouldn't be me.

PS: I actually like the Genesis, though nothing to do with the Kardashians or any of those attention whores.

So just sell it and buy… nothing.

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 12:59 PM
So just sell it and buy… nothing.

Alas, that would be the best thing to do for sure. But....

killramos
04-27-2023, 01:09 PM
I’ll sell you my M2. Best price.

max_boost
04-27-2023, 01:15 PM

lol we support you shak :D

94boosted
04-27-2023, 01:28 PM
Don't 4C's need the chassis bolts torqued by the dealer every 20,000km or something ridiculous? I think they retorque everything attached to the carbon fiber tub. Trusty old Italian cars :rofl:

shakalaka
04-27-2023, 03:36 PM
Yea I am pretty sure 4C is not an option for me. Can't try one for size locally and too many quirks with it. I would also be concerned about re-sale in a year or so when I am inevitably bored. lol.

Drove the Cayman S stick shift and enjoyed it. Not bad and it's an option but not necessarily something that draws me towards it big time - but then again at this price point there's not really gonna be anything that does so let's see. I am exploring some other options and waiting to hear on some things and will go from there.

Buster
04-27-2023, 08:10 PM
Shak is going straight from the dopamine hit stage to the scrap heap stage without buying the car in the middle. That's progress

pheoxs
04-27-2023, 09:05 PM
What about this? Very different from a 4C but unique enough to stand out.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6038125032929946/ (https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6038125032929946/)

Darkane
04-28-2023, 08:44 AM
shakalaka

Why haven’t you bought a GT500 yet?

Also, put your name down for a 2024 Convertable Mustang gt.

Quit farting around here.

I recall you couldn’t drive manual, did this change? Or am I thinking of someone else.

shakalaka
04-28-2023, 10:15 AM
shakalaka

Why haven’t you bought a GT500 yet?

Also, put your name down for a 2024 Convertable Mustang gt.

Quit farting around here.

I recall you couldn’t drive manual, did this change? Or am I thinking of someone else.

GT500 doesn't achieve the purpose of being 'cheap' enough to justify the move from R8 to it. GT350 can be an option however no suitable options cropping up in my usual network so far. I can drive stick, been able to since I was 12 so I would actually prefer a stick shift depending on the vehicle I go for and if it's an option. Cayman S was mostly fun for me during the test drive cause it was stick.

Putting down name for the new Mustang isn't a bad idea though, I don't imagine they will be super expensive so I will reach out to my Ford guy to get some idea about that.

XylathaneGTR
04-28-2023, 11:21 AM
What about this? Very different from a 4C but unique enough to stand out.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6038125032929946/ (https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6038125032929946/)

Definitely hits the points on "standout" and unique looking - only ever saw one Karma in person on the street in all my time in Calgary, even with the dealer here now. I imagine that this would be about as fun to drive as a toddler's bigwheel, though.

shakalaka
04-28-2023, 01:09 PM
Didn't mean to skip over the Fisker Karma post. Aren't they electric though? Regardless super cool looking cars that I've seen over the years for sure. Only issue is same as what is keeping me away from the 4C - it's the resale. Everyone knows I am not long-term holder so my concern with 4C is the re-sale and if I will be 'stuck' with it when I am bored. Honestly, other than fitting in one and resale aspect, I would go for the 4C regardless of how not great it might be driving wise (some REALLY positive reviews about it online in terms of how it drives). I would have the same re-sale concerns about the Fisker Karmas.

Speaking of Alfa's I am lightly considering a Giulia Quadrafoligio as well. Having had a regular Giulia before, I really liked the car just didn't think it was big enough to be a daily that I needed it for at the time. Since I don't need this car to be a daily anymore, the Quad. might be cool to try for a while, but then it's not a 'dedicated' sports car, nor a convertible. :dunno:

Darkane
04-28-2023, 09:19 PM
GT500 doesn't achieve the purpose of being 'cheap' enough to justify the move from R8 to it. GT350 can be an option however no suitable options cropping up in my usual network so far. I can drive stick, been able to since I was 12 so I would actually prefer a stick shift depending on the vehicle I go for and if it's an option. Cayman S was mostly fun for me during the test drive cause it was stick.

Putting down name for the new Mustang isn't a bad idea though, I don't imagine they will be super expensive so I will reach out to my Ford guy to get some idea about that.

I’m satisfied with this answer haha.

hurrdurr
04-28-2023, 10:07 PM
No opinion on Alfa - I came to say get the Emira but then someone said they're going for $150,000CAD :facepalm: I thought $100,000 base CAD plus tax but an extra $50,000 to me is crazy. Cool fucking car but it's not a $150,000 car IMO

ThePenIsMightier
04-28-2023, 10:12 PM
Giulia Quad moves my jimmies in a positive, non rustling manner.

Buster
04-28-2023, 11:15 PM
No opinion on Alfa - I came to say get the Emira but then someone said they're going for $150,000CAD :facepalm: I thought $100,000 base CAD plus tax but an extra $50,000 to me is crazy. Cool fucking car but it's not a $150,000 car IMO

Lotus has fucked it all up. Bad launch. Tons of cancelled orders. Huge price increases. Rumored issues with the four cylinder version I think around emissions or noise.

killramos
04-29-2023, 09:04 AM
Giulia Quad moves my jimmies in a positive, non rustling manner.

Is that the fizz?