PDA

View Full Version : Face / Skincare routine

tonytiger55
04-27-2023, 01:36 AM
What is everyones skincare routine?

I have hyperpigmentation. Age, climate, health issues all playing in. Especially that I have darker skin (hell.. some of you pay to get sun tanned just to look like me) I figured as I get older I should pay attention to having a skincare routine. Something more than a bar of soap, facescrub and a moisturiser. I don't plan to go overboard. But enough to take care of the hyperpigmentation.

I have been trying to figure this out (feel free to correct me or add your own notes).
So far I have learned there is a night routine with a cleanser, retinol and a night cream.
Then in the morning, facewash, Vitamin C, moisturiser and sunscreen (or for myskin type, tinted suncreen).

I have no idea on what brands to use. The Cerave brand comes up a lot.
What do you guys use?

ExtraSlow
04-27-2023, 10:53 AM
Dove bar on face, body and balls. I do use a daily moisturizer on hands and face, whatever basic hypoallergenic thing. Maybe lubriderm?

pheoxs
04-27-2023, 10:56 AM
If you wanna put the time/effort into it, google Korean 10 step skin care routine and go from there. But for more basic care you can combine/eliminate some of the steps.

DonJuan
04-27-2023, 10:57 AM
I use the wife's Dove bar on my face. Irish spring the rest.

Sometimes if I want to feel really fancy I'll use her dove bar AND her shampoo.

Whatever hand cream is around to put on my face. (Vaseline Coco Radiant, I'm looking at it on my desk)

max_boost
04-27-2023, 11:11 AM
nothing. sleep and exercise and rely on asian genes to carry me

msommers
04-27-2023, 11:12 AM
A yearly slab of Baby Bear soap from RMSC.

A gigantic thing of 2in1 Head n Shoulders.

Cervae lotion for my face. Cream for my body when I remember.

Anthelios sunscreen for the summer.

My wife has a cream collection that rivals a French pharmacy, which makes christmas shopping easy. I'm often told I need to put on lotion that has sunscreen in it. Her skin is incredible so I can't really argue. Then again her Mom also does and uses nearly zero cream so think it's mostly genetics.

vengie
04-27-2023, 11:16 AM
I used to have fairly bad acne and went through a massively annoying and damaging "skin care" routine daily for years.
I learned I was allergic to certain foods which was triggering my acne, obviously I cut those and I'm essentially good to go.

That said, today's skin care routine is as follows:
Morning: Wash face with warm water, gently scrub with fingers
Apply natural mineral based sunscreen

Night: Wash with charcoal soap in shower
Apply frankincense essential oil as a spot treatment if I get a zit pop up.

Tik-Tok
04-27-2023, 01:17 PM
I splash my face with water in the morning, and wash it with bodywash in the shower at night. Decades of working outdoors is doing it's toll though and I wish I did more in my youth. My wife keeps saying she's going to put me on a skin care regime, but she's been saying that for years. I don't care, I only look in the mirror a couple of times a day, she has to look at me for hours.

mr2mike
04-27-2023, 01:26 PM
I use the wife's Dove bar on my face. Irish spring the rest.
Lies!
We know the dove bar hits the balls.
And I'm doubting ExtraSlow's order too.

riander5
04-27-2023, 01:39 PM

You'll be good till 50 or 60 and then BAM

My routine -
Wash face, use serum, moisturize, with whatever my wife isnt using anymore
When I remember so 2x a week.

Probably not the most robust but compared to some of you it seems I'm doing ok lol

DonJuan
04-27-2023, 02:13 PM
Lies!
We know the dove bar hits the balls.
And I'm doubting ExtraSlow's order too.

Only when I want to feel really fancy :D
Which is alot.

mr2mike
04-27-2023, 02:16 PM

Not even hotel samples?

sabad66
04-27-2023, 02:30 PM
I wash my face once per day in the shower using this stuff. Works great for me. I find if I use normal bar soap like dove or Irish spring, face would be too dry

Just occurred to me that I’ve been using this same stuff for over 20 years…smash mouth did not lie when he claimed the years start coming and they don’t stop coming.

2002civic
04-27-2023, 09:08 PM
Only one part of my body gets lotion regularly and it's not my face...

DonJuan
04-28-2023, 08:50 AM
All this shower talk got me thinking extra fancy. So last night I used the wife's dove, her shampoo and conditioner on my head and my beard. I dunno if I like it. Wife noticed my beard was softer though... this may become a thing.

ExtraSlow
04-28-2023, 06:19 PM
Balls

suntan
06-29-2023, 01:39 PM
As I have aged, I now suffer from hyperpigmentation.

I use Ducray Keracnyl during the day:

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/keracnyl-s-rum-adult-women-acne/p/BB_673914402156?variantCode=673914402156

I use retinol during the night:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09KWMDYY5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Don't apply retinol during the day, UV destroys it.

Almost all my dark spots are gone. One error I did was I only applied it to the left side of my face where the hyperpigmentation was, but it also firmed up the skin around my left eye, so I looked like a muto for a bit until I applied it everywhere.

GQBalla
06-29-2023, 09:21 PM
I started taking care of my skin a few years ago, growing up i had horrible skin and even had to go on accutane.

Never took care of my skin.

I use korean skin care products on my face, whatever’s on sale. I have oily ass skin with giant pores.

Shower in the morning, cetaphil cleanser twice.

Toner, Serum, moisturizer and then sunscreen.

Night time i shower again, cetaphil cleanser twice.
Toner, Tretonin, moisturizer.

Say what you want, women always tell me my skin is so nice, wife’s friends no longer say her skins nice and her friends compliments have gone to me. Her friends have even asked her if I wear make up.

My ex gf told me i should wait 5-10 minutes between each step but i got shit to do. I apply the products right after each other.

flipstah
06-30-2023, 07:38 AM
I always wash my face in the morning and night with a cleanser then use a toner after.

Recently discovered Aesop at Chinook Mall and they have an extensive skin care line with sampler sachets to bring home and try. This is a must if you have sensitive skin.

ExtraSlow
06-30-2023, 08:21 AM
Ivory soap in the morning shower, some "sensitive" moisturizer after.

suntan
06-30-2023, 08:25 AM
I started taking care of my skin a few years ago, growing up i had horrible skin and even had to go on accutane.

I use korean skin care products on my face, whatever’s on sale. I have oily ass skin with giant pores.

Say what you want, women always tell me my skin is so nice, wife’s friends no longer say her skins nice and her friends compliments have gone to me. Her friends have even asked her if I wear make up.

My ex gf told me i should wait 5-10 minutes between each step but i got shit to do. I apply the products right after each other.

Oooh, what brands?

gmc72
06-30-2023, 10:50 AM
Old Spice body wash and shampoo with the occasional Clearasil wash. That's about it.

tonytiger55
06-30-2023, 10:04 PM

Where do buy Korean products?

I started with CeraVe clenser at night with the retinol. Then with a vitamin c serum in the morning. It has made my skin weirdly soft. My face still looks ugly though. Will see how this is in six months.

BavarianBeast
06-30-2023, 10:35 PM
How about shaving routine for sensitive faces?

What do you guys do? I use fresh razors, sensitive shaving cream and my neck still turns out all red and bumpy for the next day or so. Shave every 2 days. Any suggestions

ThePenIsMightier
06-30-2023, 10:54 PM

What do you guys do? I use fresh razors, sensitive shaving cream and my neck still turns out all red and bumpy for the next day or so. Shave every 2 days. Any suggestions

I use squealing hot water to prep my face bone for the shave and always, always, ALWAYS quench the razor in ice cold water between swaths. Then I shower AFTER the shave and go from there.
It doesn't work great, but it's tolerable.

In terms of washing my face with some sort of product... I don't think I've done that in a period of time measured in decades... I don't have super oily skin anymore like when I was banging teens and getting abortion punch cards, so it seems to be working just fine, but YMMV. I think I could be doing better, but I don't want to create some 40min nonsense face routine.
"So, I figure, just like, fuck it! Let's see where it lands!"
/Yellowstone.

ExtraSlow
07-01-2023, 08:36 AM
I don't shave these days, but I have sensitive skin and and I used to. Shaving routine that worked good for me was as follows.
1: switch to a safety razor. Change the blade twice a week or even daily to start. Blade are cheap, buy 100. I started with the Derby and switched later to the Feathers.
2) always use a trimmer first if it's been more than a couple days.
3} first pass with the grain. It's not as close but it'll irritate less.
4— shave daily until your face gets used to it. That day off is hurting more than it helps.
5: find products that work for you. I liked the Nivea sensitive line. The cream and the balm.

There's a whole shaving thread.

ThePenIsMightier
07-01-2023, 09:48 AM

There's a whole shaving thread.

A thread dedicated to shaving A-holes???! Gross.

BavarianBeast
07-01-2023, 10:04 AM
Sweet! Thanks for the tips I’ll try some of those things and see how it goes. Cheers.

nismodrifter
07-01-2023, 10:47 AM
One tip that was posted on Beyond in the shaving thread was to actually shave with cold water. I started doing that and it cut down on irritation significantly. Try that out.

As for facial care....soap in the shower...moisturize after.. I used to use body lotion but wife got me some Loccitane facial cream now. I refuse to spend like 30 dollars on a little tin of cream. Ridiculous. I'll switch to Cetaphil lotion once it runs out. Before bed Cetaphil face wash and moisturize.

ThePenIsMightier
07-01-2023, 11:01 AM
Isn't Cetaphil the one that looks precisely like cum?
There a "cum in a beard" joke in here somewhere... And Pride Month is over.....

GQBalla
07-01-2023, 09:59 PM
Oooh, what brands?
someby mi. Isntree. Missha. Corsx

Honestly anything that’s on sale. I don’t notice the difference. My skins thick and seems to handle everything well. Tretonin you’re supposed to use it once a week to break in and most would break out when first using it. I used it every night right away and never broke out.

Niacin products though I discovered after I use it constantly after a week it will cause my skin to go red. That niacin flush.

I started with CeraVe clenser at night with the retinol. Then with a vitamin c serum in the morning. It has made my skin weirdly soft. My face still looks ugly though. Will see how this is in six months.

I use primarily stylekorean but I might use yesstyle soon. They are having a sale soon. Perfect as I need to restock.

I’ve never used vitamin c, supposedly it works good too.

BokCh0y
07-01-2023, 11:53 PM
I had bad acne when I was 17 and then it went away but on and off till I was 30, fuck. 2 rounds of Accutane and the final round at 30 did the job, so I'm pretty hardcore on skin routine now.

Before - just washed face.

I still have stupid oil skin on my face but only during summer.

Now:

Morning during shower is Clean and Clear Acne Triple Clear Exfoliating scrub. Then Nivea mens body lotion everywhere including face. Doe sensitive skin soap on the body and balls.

Evening is Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser and then Nivea Care Nourishing Cream.

I like the Nivea products because for the most part they are usually non-oily/greasy so doesn't clog my pores. I have tested many creams to get to where I am now where moisturizing doesn't cause blackheads and pimples.

sabad66
07-02-2023, 08:42 AM

Things that helped me over the years if you’re not already doing them:
- shave after shower (“softens” the hairs, pushes them out of your face a bit)
- shave with the grain. Not as close as against, but if you do the above it’s pretty close

suntan
07-02-2023, 02:28 PM

#1: Every shaving cream/gel you can get in a regular store are total and utter garbage. Except the Nivea items that ES has mentioned. I suggest you go to Kent of Inglewood and try this stuff out:

https://www.kentofinglewood.com/products/hoxton-shave-co-earl-grey-shaving-cream-in-tub-177ml

#2: Every razor available at regular store are total and utter garbage. Get a safety razor. Again, go to KoI because they will give you sample packs of blades for free or cheap. Get this razor:

https://www.kentofinglewood.com/collections/safety-razors/products/merkur-double-edge-safety-razor-straight-cut-extra-long-handle-chrome

Follow ES's instructions. Shave w/ grain first, then against.

ExtraSlow
07-02-2023, 03:43 PM
Follow ES's instructions.
Always.

ShermanEF9
07-02-2023, 06:45 PM
I just use Head n shoulders 2 in 1 on my face. The zinc is good for it apparently.

Darell_n
07-02-2023, 06:55 PM
Shave in the shower is the real winner.

suntan
07-03-2023, 12:05 PM

Retinol will make your skin worse at first. Don’t use every night for now until you see the redness lessen.

ThePenIsMightier
07-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Shave in the shower is the real winner.

This is true. But it sure is difficult to see.

Darell_n
07-03-2023, 01:42 PM
This is true. But it sure is difficult to see.

I use a shaving mirror that you fill with hot water in the shower, stops it from fogging up. Plus blades last much, much longer. I’ve had a few ‘fog free’ mirrors over the years, but the oxo brand fillable one is a game changer.

ExtraSlow
07-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Holy shit that sounds perfect. If I ever start shaving again I need a better mirror.

you&me
07-03-2023, 05:28 PM
As for face / skin care in general, I used to bang a girl at the Kiehl's counter at Holt years ago and have stuck with what she told me -

Apply face wash, wash body, then rinse face... the extra time loosens more dirt in the pores.

Exfoliation is your friend (and especially helps with shaving)... Buy an exfoliant, or use normal white sugar... The sugar dissolves at just the right rate to scrub all the crap off your face. Exfoliate, then wash, then shave.

Moisturize well after your skin is dry... like dry off, get dressed, brush your teeth, do anything else, and then apply.

For shaving, I use a safety razor in the shower, with face wash as "shaving cream" and no mirror. Gets about 95% and then you can clean up around the edges (sideburns, etc) after.

Zero razor burn except for the first shave with a new blade.

flipstah
07-03-2023, 09:06 PM
Like TPiM said, hot water to open the pores; nice shaving cream or foam to lather the face; shave slowly and single direction per glide (all up or all downward stroke first); lather again; reverse stroke; rinse with cold water; Nivea aftershave for me

I get bumps when I rush the shave and do crisscross

nismodrifter
07-07-2023, 11:16 AM
Exfoliation is your friend (and especially helps with shaving)... Exfoliate, then wash, then shave.

Followed your advice here. Used to think using shaving brush was sufficient exfoliation. Used a dedicated exfoliant last night while in shower, and then shaved (in a rush mind you), and damn this is the smoothest my face has ever been with 0 irritation. Thanks

you&me
07-07-2023, 02:21 PM
:thumbsup: