PDA

View Full Version : AI chat at work : who's already using it?

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
05-09-2023, 10:55 PM
I know at least one beyond member is using an AI chatbot in thier work. Who else is?

I am not currently but I can actually picture that it might be extremely useful for a few of my common tasks. These large language models would have access to about 70 percent of the information that I'd need for some marketing and business development work, for instance.

So, with as much detail as you feel comfortable sharing, tell us about it.

JfuckinC
05-09-2023, 11:10 PM
My guys use it for random stuff, excel macros and couple other little things

I’ve never even looked at it yet though weirds me out haha

CompletelyNumb
05-09-2023, 11:15 PM
Using it almost daily. Often faster than Googling for answers. And yes, excellent for Excel and Sheets things.

So far the only thing I find ChatGPT bad at is actual coding, although it can do outlines and suggestions alright.

Flexray
05-09-2023, 11:18 PM
This guy used it to see if it could figure out a key problem with a vehicle, it's a good listen.

https://youtu.be/TgZBXXAh-gk

vengie
05-10-2023, 07:16 AM
I use it for certain troubleshooting issues.

AndyL
05-10-2023, 07:21 AM
Yep.

I was in a spotty cell service area, waiting on a 300mb pdf manual to download and it was taking forever; I gave it a whirl.

Big 90s vintage PLC based interlock panel with dozens of inputs/sensors/controls. Gave it the make/model, told it what was connected, and what it was doing. Came back with 2-3 possibilities, 2 switches i'd already checked, and a really obscure one - bad connection on a relay.

Ground wire on the relay was in the screw terminal hole - but it wasn't secured.

Talking to maintenance after (they're always available to sign off and get you out, never available to give you background) they'd replaced that relay every few months for as long as anyone could remember.

I'm curious if it was actually reading/interpreting the schematics, if it is, that'd be pretty handy.

bjstare
05-10-2023, 07:25 AM
For those that use it at work, post what you do/what industry you're in.

I'm in a weird zone, since I work in professional services, with a focus on tech. So, like any other new tech, we need to learn about it, and maybe even develop an offering that will help our clients understand/use it in their org. The flip side is, we're explicitly forbidden to use it to do our own work.

Personally, I have zero use for it, so it's a moot point. Unless it can attend meetings for me, which is most of my day.

ganesh
05-10-2023, 07:29 AM
I use it. As CompletelyNumb pointed out it sucks at giving you code. It can point you in the right direction.

I work as a IT Consultant for a Distribution Company ( Senior Business Systems Analyst) in charge of the EDI Section of the Company I work for.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-10-2023, 07:47 AM
For those that use it at work, post what you do/what industry you're in.

I'm in a weird zone, since I work in professional services, with a focus on tech. So, like any other new tech, we need to learn about it, and maybe even develop an offering that will help our clients understand/use it in their org. The flip side is, we're explicitly forbidden to use it to do our own work.

Personally, I have zero use for it, so it's a moot point. Unless it can attend meetings for me, which is most of my day.

I work at a SaaS company in tech.
We're banned from sharing any code with it, so the only thing I ever tried was to troubleshoot some latency problems with some sanitized queries. It did not help.

The_Penguin
05-10-2023, 07:47 AM
I use it to give me code hints when I'm unsure how to do something. It's pretty handy, though yesterday was quite wrong, but close enough I could spot the problem.

ExtraSlow
05-10-2023, 07:55 AM
What systems do you folks use? All chat gpt or bard or the Bing AI?

And anyone using it for report outlines, first draft cover letters etc?

taemo
05-10-2023, 08:35 AM
I used chatgpt to build some python and powershell scripts for automation, create a base template email but yeah you shouldnt put any sensitive or proprietary information on it

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-02/samsung-bans-chatgpt-and-other-generative-ai-use-by-staff-after-leak#xj4y7vzkg

i know 2 of my colleagues on the business dev side that uses it more often, one is paying for the plus version but don't know what they use it for exactly.

pheoxs
05-10-2023, 08:35 AM
I use it for making all my base code for hobby stuff. It's great for create functions or shells of a program.

i.e. What module do I need to connect to an Arduino over bluetooth? Okay now generate code in Arduino IDE that does XYZ over bluetooth. Okay now generate iOS code using a bluetooth stack that communicates with the above code. Makes for a great starting point to build from there.

Work-wise we are prohibited from sharing any sensitive or confidential data with it as everything you type is logged in the OpenAI servers. Huge no-no. However Microsoft Azure is bringing out a corporate focused version this fall where you'll be able to use it for sensitive data and it can even be trained on your internal documents so can ask it to find a SOP and it'll be able to spit you out the right company form

I use it to give me code hints when I'm unsure how to do something. It's pretty handy, though yesterday was quite wrong, but close enough I could spot the problem.

The power of it is that it takes into consideration everything you've done in the chat thus far. So you can just say this didn't work, it's not populating XYZ. And it will rewrite the code to factor that in. You can iterate a few times to debug itself. Generally to get good code I have to go A to B to C and slowly add in functionality. If I just list a huge requirement set it struggles.

SJW
05-10-2023, 08:37 AM
I'm developing a new AI system. My company is called Cyberdyne systems.

ercchry
05-10-2023, 08:41 AM
I tried using it for some marketing emails… it just made shit up. Pure fiction, after trying to correct it a few times I just gave up (chatgpt, RE lending/market updates)

riander5
05-10-2023, 08:42 AM
I'm developing a new AI system. My company is called Cyberdyne systems.

Id like to invest.

Im currently using Bing AI for random Queries... but I don't like how it's capped for 20 questions then you sweep away. Nice thing with Chat GPT is keeping an entire thread on the same stuff.

suntan
05-10-2023, 08:42 AM
I tried using it for some marketing emails… it just made shit up. Pure fiction, after trying to correct it a few times I just gave up (chatgpt, RE lending/market updates)

But... isn't that what marketing emails are?

ExtraSlow
05-10-2023, 08:45 AM

Not the good ones, but those are extremely rare.

ercchry
05-10-2023, 08:48 AM

Yeah but this was really off… “give me a 2023 Q2 update”

Quarter 2 of 2023 was great, interest rates remain low…” …um… it’s fucking April asshole and rates haven’t been low in over a year!

suntan
05-10-2023, 08:51 AM

Quarter 2 of 2023 was great, interest rates remain low…” …um… it’s fucking April asshole and rates haven’t been low in over a year!

I mean it's low compared to the 1980s.

pheoxs
05-10-2023, 08:53 AM

Out of curiosity did you provide it a writing style? You can feed it templates of your past report and then tell it to write in that style.

For example I fed it one of Jordan's listings then told it to make a new one for a condo.

https://i.imgur.com/oQthZJ0.png

https://i.imgur.com/JRZGldD.png

The model is only trained to 2021, it can't use any present data.

ercchry
05-10-2023, 08:58 AM
Out of curiosity did you provide it a writing style? You can feed it templates of your past report and then tell it to write in that style.

For example I fed it one of Jordan's listings then told it to make a new one for a condo.

https://i.imgur.com/oQthZJ0.png

https://i.imgur.com/JRZGldD.png

The model is only trained to 2021, it can't use any present data.

Yeah, it didn’t know where it was in time… writing about the future but using data from the past. The style was fine but it was expanding on subjects that didn’t even make sense today with the shifts in the market. It did however update itself when I told it to use 2023 for YoY and not 2022, but by then the edits it made had the whole thing a mess and it wasn’t relevant to our space. I think I could have got it there if it was geared towards a prime retail client though, but that’s not what we do

pheoxs
05-10-2023, 09:00 AM
Yeah, it didn’t know where it was in time… writing about the future but using data from the past. The style was fine but it was expanding on subjects that didn’t even make sense today with the shifts in the market. It did however update itself when I told it to use 2023 for YoY and not 2022, but by then the edits it made had the whole thing a mess and it wasn’t relevant to our space. I think I could have got it there if it was geared towards a prime retail client though, but that’s not what we do

Yeah the OpenAI platform is only trained to 2021 data, it says on the landing page. So asking about today is similar to asking a realtor what the market will be in 2025. It's always the best time to buy.

DonJuan
05-10-2023, 09:06 AM
Using it almost daily. Often faster than Googling for answers. And yes, excellent for Excel and Sheets things.

So far the only thing I find ChatGPT bad at is actual coding, although it can do outlines and suggestions alright.

This me exactly. I use it instead of googling technical things. I find the code for autolysp is good, but not plug and play, need to check it always. I'm only on the free chatGPT. Maybe 4 is better?

I used it for cover letter and resume advice. Start my new job in 2 weeks! Sadly this might mean less beyond time. :(
Letter of resignation also. For these things it is unbeatable.

I'm in engineering telecom, but switching to work for ... something more municipal... Hint: climate crisis is real.

*edit* feeding it some info is essential to getting a good result.

rage2
05-10-2023, 09:18 AM
I use it to aggregate information mostly, basically speed reading for me so I don’t have to do it. I found you can send it a Reddit thread or even a beyond thread link and summarize the discussions and it does a pretty solid job of it.

It’s not always 100% accurate or trustworthy so I usually spot check the key information that I’m relying on for whatever I’m using the info for. Super helpful for crafting arguments on here. :rofl:

Brent.ff
05-10-2023, 09:38 AM
What systems do you folks use? All chat gpt or bard or the Bing AI?

And anyone using it for report outlines, first draft cover letters etc?

Yes. Its great to take bullet points into sentence form, or for doing meeting minutes, doing quick resume blurbs for proposals etc.

Also have had a few folks apply to us that have clearly the same cover letter, and if you copy and paste it back into ChatGPT and ask if AI wrote it: "Yes, I wrote it".

pheoxs
05-10-2023, 09:45 AM
Yes. Its great to take bullet points into sentence form, or for doing meeting minutes, doing quick resume blurbs for proposals etc.

Also have had a few folks apply to us that have clearly the same cover letter, and if you copy and paste it back into ChatGPT and ask if AI wrote it: "Yes, I wrote it".

Fun fact you can also use some of the AI clients and ask it to rewrite it to be less detectable by AI.

mr2mike
05-10-2023, 09:47 AM
Have used it for public data giving a quicker way to get 90% of a table build of the data then checking it over.
Same way as rage2 aggregate some data and summarize stuff.

Also used for when stuck on coding or a partial part of a Sql query, etc.

Also to fill out sentences for retirement cards, birth cards or any other things that get passed around the office.

Just have to be careful. Never would I pump company data into it for a table creating. I'd just delegate to the internal students.

rage2
05-10-2023, 09:52 AM
Just have to be careful. Never would I pump company data into it for a table creating. I'd just delegate to the internal students.
Where they will pump company data into it.

Brent.ff
05-10-2023, 09:55 AM

bingo, have definitely seen way more interns using it then the old guard

DonJuan
05-10-2023, 09:56 AM

Exactly

mr2mike
05-10-2023, 10:02 AM
Lol so true.

Hey, when IT checks it all out, won't be my name funneling the company secrets.

suntan
05-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Have used it for public data giving a quicker way to get 90% of a table build of the data then checking it over.
Same way as rage2 aggregate some data and summarize stuff.

Also used for when stuck on coding or a partial part of a Sql query, etc.

Also to fill out sentences for retirement cards, birth cards or any other things that get passed around the office.

People need help writing sql queries?

mr2mike
05-10-2023, 10:21 AM
People need help writing sql queries?

Lazy and not efficient at it and don't want to wait 30 min for the data to show up with unfiltered data.

suntan
05-10-2023, 10:54 AM
Lazy and not efficient at it and don't want to wait 30 min for the data to show up with unfiltered data.

Have you tried not cartesianing your queries?

bjstare
05-10-2023, 11:36 AM
That's enough, nerds.

licketysplit
05-10-2023, 11:48 AM
I decided to try out summarizing this thread as rage2 suggested, but with Bing Chat. The results are completely fabricated, but funny. It must be pulling information from other beyond threads or something.

Sure, I can try to summarize the discussion in that thread. Here is what I found:

The thread was started by a user named Xtrema who asked if anyone was using AI chat at work and what their experience was.
The first reply was from a user named ExtraSlow who said he used AI chat for customer service and it was terrible. He said it was slow, inaccurate, and frustrating for both customers and agents.
The second reply was from a user named killramos who said he used AI chat for internal communication and it was great. He said it was fast, accurate, and helpful for finding information and solving problems.
The third reply was from a user named Xtrema who said he used AI chat for sales and it was mixed. He said it was good for qualifying leads and booking appointments, but bad for closing deals and building relationships.
The fourth reply was from a user named ExtraSlow who said he agreed with Xtrema and added that AI chat was good for simple tasks but not for complex ones.
The fifth reply was from a user named killramos who said he disagreed with ExtraSlow and argued that AI chat was capable of handling complex tasks with proper training and data.
The sixth reply was from a user named ExtraSlow who said he challenged killramos to provide an example of a complex task that AI chat could do better than a human.
The seventh reply was from a user named killramos who said he could not provide an example because his company’s AI chat was confidential and proprietary.
The eighth reply was from a user named ExtraSlow who said he called BS on killramos and accused him of lying or exaggerating about his company’s AI chat.
The ninth reply was from a user named killramos who said he did not care what ExtraSlow thought and told him to mind his own business.
The tenth reply was from a user named Xtrema who said he thanked both ExtraSlow and killramos for their input and asked them to stop arguing and respect each other’s opinions.

That’s the end of the thread so far. It seems like the discussion was mostly about the pros and cons of AI chat for different purposes and the level of complexity that AI chat can handle. It also seems like the discussion got heated and personal at some point. I hope this summary helps you understand the main points of the thread.😊

The_Penguin
05-10-2023, 11:50 AM
The power of it is that it takes into consideration everything you've done in the chat thus far. So you can just say this didn't work, it's not populating XYZ. And it will rewrite the code to factor that in. You can iterate a few times to debug itself. Generally to get good code I have to go A to B to C and slowly add in functionality. If I just list a huge requirement set it struggles.
[/FONT]

Yes, very true.

mr2mike
05-10-2023, 11:57 AM
Have you tried not cartesianing your queries?

SuntanGPT: How do I Cartesian my sql query?

I'll go study/research some more.

Disoblige
05-10-2023, 12:07 PM
just have to be careful. Never would i pump company data into it for a table creating. I'd just delegate to eits like extraslow
ftfy

Xtrema
05-10-2023, 02:52 PM
I decided to try out summarizing this thread as rage2 suggested, but with Bing Chat. The results are completely fabricated, but funny. It must be pulling information from other beyond threads or something.

Well, am glad that ChatGPT will continue to post whoring for me when I'm gone.

Even in threads I didn't make a single post.

suntan
05-10-2023, 03:18 PM
SuntanGPT: How do I Cartesian my sql query?

I'll go study/research some more.

Why aren't you using a tool like Power BI anyhow? Unless you're a programmer or DBA you should never be writing SQL queries.

And I really hope you're hitting a replicated OLAP server. If you were hitting an OLTP server with idiot queries I'd make sure your machine was banished to a subnet in hell.

ercchry
05-10-2023, 03:24 PM
Gave it another spin today… asked it to pull info from a web page I linked… it just made shit up, I tried to tell it that wasn’t enough info and it made up the amount of info I said it should have been… still completely wrong. Eventually it admitted it couldn’t actually read and all the data was older than sept. 2021…

Soooo… I don’t think it’s going to summarize an ongoing beyond thread to save its life :rofl:

suntan
05-10-2023, 03:28 PM
Gave it another spin today… asked it to pull info from a web page I linked… it just made shit up, I tried to tell it that wasn’t enough info and it made up the amount of info I said it should have been… still completely wrong. Eventually it admitted it couldn’t actually read and all the data was older than sept. 2021…

Soooo… I don’t think it’s going to summarize an ongoing beyond thread to save its life :rofl:

It can't handle yolo/zenops.

mr2mike
05-10-2023, 03:30 PM
Why aren't you using a tool like Power BI anyhow? Unless you're a programmer or DBA you should never be writing SQL queries.

And I really hope you're hitting a replicated OLAP server. If you were hitting an OLTP server with idiot queries I'd make sure your machine was banished to a subnet in hell.

Tableau data source DB setup.
Migrated myself to KNIME or Alteyrx to safe the coding hassles.
If we only had good DBA's to do this work I wouldn't have to but we don't.
PowerBI sucks. Repurposed Access with Excel add-on.

ercchry
05-10-2023, 03:31 PM
It can't handle yolo/zenops.

It IS zenops. But even more confident… zenny 2.0

suntan
05-10-2023, 03:38 PM
Tableau data source DB setup.
Migrated myself to KNIME or Alteyrx to safe the coding hassles.
If we only had good DBA's to do this work I wouldn't have to but we don't.
PowerBI sucks. Repurposed Access with Excel add-on.

DBAs admin, I've never met a DBA that wrote SQL to solve business domain problems.

- - - Updated - - -

It IS zenops. But even more confident… zenny 2.0

It's ZenOps 2.0 because it was trained on ZenOps posts.

Brent.ff
05-10-2023, 03:54 PM
The passage you provided seems to express various opinions and perspectives on topics such as Chinese influence in North America, diversity in Canada's government, and criticisms of NASA and certain political figures. Here's a breakdown of the main points being made:

Chinese Influence: The author suggests that China does not have significant influence over North America, arguing that if they did, there would be more Asian-owned farmland in the USA and a larger presence of Chinese scientists in NASA. They also mention the idea of Chinese individuals buying lunch for influential figures as a form of influence.

Privilege in Canada: The author questions whether European Canadians fully understand their privilege and criticizes the lack of representation in Canada's government, suggesting a more diverse composition based on racial percentages.

Influence of Putin: The author briefly mentions Putin, implying that his approach to influence might be more effective than China's.

Expressing Opinions: The author suggests that if restrictions are imposed on expressing their opinions or providing support to certain individuals, they might resort to alternative methods to make their voices heard.

Land Ownership and Language: The author proposes a hypothetical scenario where land ownership forms in Canada would be in Quantum Qubit Binary instead of English or Chinese. They suggest that such changes would lead to a better society.

Criticisms of NASA: The author expresses a negative view of NASA, calling it "hyper racist shit." They also mention Trump and McCain in connection with alleged felonies and war crimes.

Language and Performance: The author questions when land ownership titles in Canada should be changed from English to Chinese and suggests banning European scientists from NASA for non-performance.

It's important to note that this passage reflects the views and opinions of the author and may not be representative of widely accepted perspectives or factual information.

This makes reading a ZenOp post much easier

Darell_n
05-10-2023, 04:12 PM
This makes reading a ZenOp post much easier

Should just ask it to summarize all Zenops posts.

suntan
05-10-2023, 04:20 PM
Should just ask it to summarize all Zenops posts.

ChatGPT after parsing ZenOps posts:

AndyL
05-10-2023, 07:19 PM
Next week's ai story - why is chatgpt obsessed with art rooms :rofl:

The_Penguin
05-10-2023, 07:56 PM
ChatGPT after parsing ZenOps posts:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to suntan again.

Fucking. Gold!

The_Penguin
05-10-2023, 08:01 PM
Me:
What is Zenops' problem with NASA?

ChatGPT:
I'm not aware of any issue or problem between ZenOps and NASA. ZenOps is a software company that offers a platform for IT operations management, while NASA is a government agency responsible for space exploration and research. They operate in different industries and fields, and I couldn't find any information indicating a conflict or dispute between them. It's possible that there may be some confusion or misinformation, or that there is a different company or organization with a similar name that is involved in a dispute with NASA.

TIL:
Zenops is a MSP.

ZenOps
05-11-2023, 11:09 AM
I am super impressed at "List all the controversial and bad things Rob Anders MP of Canada has done in his life, in less than 100 pages"

Its like there is no bounds to the records that it knows, especially if recorded officially in any newspaper.

It is Biased to toward NASA above carbon footprint however. It seems to be confused when I ask how many cities could one Saturn V rocket power?

ThePenIsMightier
05-11-2023, 12:30 PM
Is there a way to use this thing to make Dallas Eakins never be on TV or involved with NHL hockey again?
One would think that an NHL winning record less than 34% would do that by itself, but no... Here we are.

vengie
05-11-2023, 12:40 PM
Is there a way to use this thing to make Dallas Eakins never be on TV or involved with NHL hockey again?
One would think that an NHL winning record less than 34% would do that by itself, but no... Here we are.

Have you considered asking Chat GPT for an answer?

ThePenIsMightier
05-11-2023, 01:07 PM
Have you considered asking Chat GPT for an answer?

I am afraid of new things whether it's Eakins on TV, ChAtGpT, or this growth on my taint. I prefer to wait & see.

mr2mike
05-11-2023, 01:30 PM
Google releases Bard AI in 180 countries without a wait list.
Canada not one of the 180.

Xtrema
05-11-2023, 01:56 PM
Google releases Bard AI in 180 countries without a wait list.
Canada not one of the 180.

Google is done with C11 and C18. Google News is pretty useless these days without VPN. Most articles are from 2022.

Gman.45
05-11-2023, 03:55 PM
One of the defense channels I watch, former USN sonar operator, and current undersea warfare expert working in that field, said something yesterday to the tune of "autoGPT has surpassed chatGPT by every measure, and I'm currently using it, including for content creation for this channel".

Anyone familiar with it, or used autoGPT themselves in some fashion for their work or projects?

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-11-2023, 04:04 PM
AutoGPT is GPT4, and I believe ChatGPT is already working off of GPT5, so I'd be surprised.

Gman.45
05-11-2023, 09:07 PM
AutoGPT is GPT4, and I believe ChatGPT is already working off of GPT5, so I'd be surprised.

Ok, thanks, I'll read up some more on this. I took an AI course online through distance learning @ Standford, prof Sebastian Thrunn (this is circa 2011/12 ish), and so much has moved forward since then, plus I needed hand holding through the entire thing with all the graduate level math which I thought "bah, how tough can that be". Yes, laugh out loud accordingly.

After re watching said video, the YT channel host, to be fair, did say that AutoGPT had surpassed ChatGPT in "functionality" specifically. I supposed function is a metric by which one can measure how "good" or "how much better" something is, but certainly not the only way.

Anyway, this is the link to said video, around 3:00 is the relevant part and 3:49 specifically, or if anyone is interested in Defense as it relates to naval warfare, there are few better places online - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDH8-65Tlo&t=544s

ZenOps
05-13-2023, 09:22 PM
I find GPT4 weak at making associations. It would make a terrible crime detective.

Seriously, it can't even find correlation enough to build a strong man never landed on the moon argument.

ZenOps
05-16-2023, 07:45 AM
Rumor has it that the AI is making more accurate calcs than humans on really hard math questions.

Like orbits and flight paths for space launches. Microsoft firing computer programmers may just be the tip of the iceberg for NASA.

ExtraSlow
05-16-2023, 08:00 AM
The all-in podcast boys say bard is better for some tasks because it has current internet in it by default. Blocked in canada though.
Dang boi.

suntan
05-16-2023, 08:03 AM
Tried using it for a long standing programming issue. It was of very little help. Generated code was useless because it kept making library reference errors. Had to reprompt about eight times, gave up after that.

pheoxs
05-16-2023, 08:59 AM
Someone used AI to generate an interior design company. All images are 100% AI made with a few prompts for styling. Does make me wonder how far away we are from snapping a pic of your home and asking it to generate furnishing options.

https://andever.com.au/

Also Chatgpt 5.2 (Though only available for Plus subscribers currently) can now access the internet to pull live data as part of its responses. Pretty huge improvement.

riander5
05-16-2023, 09:24 AM
Bing Chat is not bad for a free AI with access to internet

ExtraSlow
09-27-2023, 08:00 PM
Seems like a quickly evolving space, and something that will be useful to me on a project I'm starting in a few weeks. Summarizing documents, websites, and white papers could be super handy for me.
Also finding news articles that use certain uncommon keywords and summarizing those.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess Bing is the option in Canada?

pheoxs
09-27-2023, 08:59 PM

nismodrifter
09-28-2023, 06:41 PM
Need to ask the same question but Honda Fit vs Aventador.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2023, 06:43 PM
No question, there's only one result.

vengie
09-28-2023, 06:57 PM
Honda fit > rest

pheoxs
09-28-2023, 07:11 PM

Gman.45
09-28-2023, 07:41 PM
I find that pretty impressive, in that it's still early days re AI so far as ChatGPT goes.

Out of boredom I took some free distance learning classes in AI about 10 years ago. Sebastian Thrun was my prof, it was a couple graduate level courses being offered by Stanford as a sort of pilot project. It was mostly focused on algos specifically for self driving/autonomous vehicles, which was what Thrun was known for. Pretty mind bending stuff even back then, but now...jfc.

pheoxs
09-28-2023, 07:57 PM
It’s amazing how useful it is for researching and learning new topics. Even stuff like this. Seems like an amazing person you got to learn from.

It can also dumb things down to a level some of the resident trolls might be able to comprehend

sabad66
09-28-2023, 08:06 PM
I use it quite a bit at work lately. I ask it to write complex excel formulas for me, and more recently powershell scripts to manipulate / analyze/ move interface files.

Also a lot of random questions here and there. For example today I asked it to show me the best methods to document accounting rules across GL accounts.

I use the paid version on openai.org for like $20 a month (work pays for it), but soon MS is releasing copilot for business so I’ll probably cancel my sub and try that out.

I like openai because it keeps your history. So if you asked it to write some code for you and need to add to it like a week later you just look up the original prompt and tell it what you want to modify. It’s definitely saved some time and well worth the $40 I’ve paid for it over the last 2 months that I started using it.

Xtrema
09-29-2023, 08:56 AM

I don't know if V4 is getting dumber or not, my free V3 has the best point.

Resale Value: While Lamborghinis tend to depreciate rapidly, Honda Fits generally have good resale value. If you plan to sell your car in the future, the Fit may retain its value better.

schurchill39
09-29-2023, 10:01 AM
TIL there is a use for the AI chat besides trying to make it say racist things and write applogy letters for "putting it in the wrong hole". I guess I'll need to step up my game.

Xtrema
09-29-2023, 10:54 AM
TIL there is a use for the AI chat besides trying to make it say racist things and write applogy letters for "putting it in the wrong hole". I guess I'll need to step up my game.

If you have to script and write code, it's a huge time saver.

Just make sure your prompts doesn't give away company secrets.

pheoxs
09-29-2023, 11:46 AM
If you have to script and write code, it's a huge time saver.

Just make sure your prompts doesn't give away company secrets.

Azure OpenAI is now safe to used with confidential info if your company sets it up. You can now have an AI chat for your workers to pull up internal articles and such. It actually has huge potential as massive companies lose so much data from poor organization or people not documenting things properly.

suntan
09-29-2023, 12:06 PM
Tried using devGPT. It made a 16GB model of our code. It was too big for it to handle. Ah well.

AndyL
09-29-2023, 02:12 PM
Oooh I wonder if it could summarize invoices and average out similar jobs hours to better sus out quoting... I feel like I want to eyeball this up more this weekend.

suntan
09-29-2023, 02:16 PM
No, it sucks at math.

ercchry
09-29-2023, 02:39 PM
It’s just as good as the average coworker… it knows nothing, and gives false information with sheer confidence

ExtraSlow
09-29-2023, 02:40 PM
It’s just as good as the average coworker… it knows nothing, and gives false information with sheer confidence

I wish my coworkers at the current place were as good as that.

ExtraSlow
11-05-2023, 07:21 AM
Now that I'm in the new place, have some research to do. Figured I'd give "Bing Chat Enterprise" a shot.
Seems decent to automate some research tasks so far.
Then asked it to search CANgea member directory for additional companies, and it found one more, but had to specifically request it to add to the previous table, and putting the two tables together was wildly slow however, like I can watch it fill in each word about as fast I could type them. Still faster than doing the research myself, and I like getting info in a table and exporting to excel.

I will be testing this for a while.

mr2mike
11-05-2023, 10:02 AM
I'm confident the students at my company are solely using this because they ask no follow up questions on anything and just send you a half baked table or chart.
Can't wait for the first group of firings due to confidential info placed into GPT.
Rattle Gen Z.

ExtraSlow
11-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Messing around with it this morning, seems bad at making a complete when the answer should have a large number of entries. Seems to power out around 20 entires, even when I ask for more.

Maxt
11-05-2023, 11:49 AM
I ran some engine header primary length question through chatgpt, it suggested using the books that I already own to do the calculations. I had to re-ask and re-prhase a few times before it actually did the calculations. I have used it for checking Bacnet programs and writing base bacnet code, works pretty good.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2023, 07:50 AM
Yesterday when I used Bing AI chat to "make a table of...." I was able to export to Excel. Today that functionality seems active only occasionally. WTF?
Also I have crashed it several times, although I'm getting better responses when it doens't crash.

It's also worth doing the same query multiple ways, as sometimes it sorts the data differently, Alphabetically, by size, etc.

Brent.ff
11-15-2023, 09:50 PM
Dear ChatGPT users.. dont forget to fill in the [square brackets]
.Got this today as a cover letter
"I am writing to express my keen interest in the [position] at [Company]"

ThePenIsMightier
11-15-2023, 10:03 PM

But I am job!! Intradested!!!!

birdman86
11-16-2023, 09:28 AM
Now that I'm in the new place, have some research to do. Figured I'd give "Bing Chat Enterprise" a shot.
Seems decent to automate some research tasks so far.
Then asked it to search CANgea member directory for additional companies, and it found one more, but had to specifically request it to add to the previous table, and putting the two tables together was wildly slow however, like I can watch it fill in each word about as fast I could type them. Still faster than doing the research myself, and I like getting info in a table and exporting to excel.

I will be testing this for a while.

Just curious did you audit the data? Seems like a great tool but I have a hard time trusting computer generated data tables. Too many times getting ten different answers to the same question on one google search I guess.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2023, 10:16 AM
I did some quick error checking and I think it's rare to get an exhaustive list. So far it seems more likely to leave thing out then add extra things in.

rage2
11-16-2023, 11:10 AM
When I audit results I realize the confidence and audacity of these AI fuckers. Half the time anyways.

suntan
11-16-2023, 11:52 AM
It's just showing statistically likely results. It doesn't actually think.

Anyhow, it's dead. Everybody and their dog is refusing to provide data to OpenAI.

Xtrema
11-16-2023, 01:17 PM
Anyhow, it's dead. Everybody and their dog is refusing to provide data to OpenAI.

MS owns Github. Everyone is throwing their codes on Github. MS is feeding that to OpenAI. That's all I care.

And ChatGPT cost 530MW to run daily. And a lot of people are using free version. Unless MS invent fusion reactors, they don't charge enough to even keep lights on.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2023, 01:34 PM
We have it for work, and I've tried countless times to get ChatGPT to give me something useful. It is good for ideas and always seems great at first glance, but as soon as I look closer I end up re-writing the entire thing.

In 9 out of 10 tries, it would be quicker for me to write something from scratch than sit there and trying and refine or fix ChatGPT's outputs for relatively simplistic tasks.

It has a long way to go still

This is a perfect candidate for getting GhatGPT to write a very long rejection letter from [Company] for the position of [position]

pheoxs
11-16-2023, 02:01 PM
ChatGPT is much like google where you need to provide sufficient inputs to get a good product. Have you ever seen an old person try to google something and cringe at what they write in the search bar? Same thing.

The power is not in it's ability to fetch responses but in it's ability to take your inputs and utilize them in output. If you're writing a document you can paste in a similar document you've finished and say use this writing style and it will be more organic to what you would typically type. You can also add in modifiers to be compliant with certain set standards or guidelines.

You can also have multiple ongoing threads and if you're organized it streamlines activities by being able to pick those prompts up weeks or months down the road.