PDA

View Full Version : Flip phone for kids

ExtraSlow
05-11-2023, 08:13 AM
Kid has been using a flip phone from amazon, Ushining brand. Works sorta okay, but can't deal with photos sent by text, or group texts. A group text with thier buddies has completely detonated the thing.
Would like one that did those functions. Ideally it would NOT have any web or app store access. Main function is emergency texting and calls.

Budget under $200. Yes I know you can get smartphones for that price. I don't want a smartphone.

Thoughts?

DonJuan
05-11-2023, 08:53 AM
... A group text with thier buddies has completely detonated the thing.

I don't know why, but this made me lol

Maybe something geared towards seniors might be best? IE: Jitterbug etc. You can disable the purchasing side. Web and App store access might be harder.

I have the purchasing disabled on my phone so when my nephews borrow it they cant damage me financially. But the number of apps they download in a short time. WOW

ercchry
05-11-2023, 08:58 AM
So what if you like… just got the cheap android phone (so at least the kid looks cool) and then setup it up as an enterprise device and just locked it right down?

ExtraSlow
05-11-2023, 09:49 AM
So what if you like… just got the cheap android phone (so at least the kid looks cool) and then setup it up as an enterprise device and just locked it right down?

Tell me more about this option. Moto has some fine android phones, but I know nothing about "enterprise device" settings.

ercchry
05-11-2023, 09:56 AM
Tell me more about this option. Moto has some fine android phones, but I know nothing about "enterprise device" settings.

It’s probably more of a suntan question on how to go about actually administrating it but I had a corp phone myself once that was locked right down. Corp adds and removed apps, probably tracks usage too:

https://www.android.com/intl/en_ca/enterprise/security/

suntan
05-11-2023, 09:57 AM
Don't they have parental settings in droid phones? ios you can lock down everything as a parent.

ExtraSlow
05-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Ok, I'll go back. I'm familiar with the parental control options on android smartphones.

What I want, is a NOT A SMART PHONE for a kid to text and call.

How to make a smartphone better for kids is a completely different discussion, and I don't need assistance with that.

benyl
05-11-2023, 10:09 AM
edit: Oops, missed the last post. But I'll leave my post up anyway.

I can totally lock down a phone without enterprise using Screen time on iPhone.

This is how I have it set up and you can even restrict WHO can be called or texted.

Everything else on the phone is locked down. My kid can request access and that comes directly to my phone or the wife’s phone if for whatever reason he needs an app that is locked. From 10pm to 8am, his phone is completely locked down. No texts or phone even. Can’t do that with a flip. All of this is controlled from my phone remotely, so I don't need access to his device to shut it down.

DonJuan
05-11-2023, 10:26 AM
^ I like that, I like ALL of that

ThePenIsMightier
05-11-2023, 12:39 PM
Flip phones are racist. I'm told lots of normal people used them, too.

rage2
05-11-2023, 01:02 PM
Ok, I'll go back. I'm familiar with the parental control options on android smartphones.

What I want, is a NOT A SMART PHONE for a kid to text and call.

How to make a smartphone better for kids is a completely different discussion, and I don't need assistance with that.
You're SOL if you want your kids to engage socially with their peers (ie group chat) without a smart phone. That simply doesn't exist.

Having so many kids/nieces/nephews that I tech support for, I'd argue that in some circles (particularly competitive youth sports) you'd be restricting their social life if you don't get them an iPhone. But that seems to be slowly going away as kids are relying on social media apps as their group platform. End of the day, you NEED a smart phone as kids continually move around different platforms as their defacto chat standard.

What benyl posted is Apple's screen time, it works 80% of the time, and gets a little restrictive on how to approve extra time for kids in some cases (eg give kids free reign on everything for 3 hours. doesn't exist). There's also weird bugs where screen time activates but it still tracks as time being used (mostly on Macs) so the next day they're completely out of time before the day starts. But yea, it does the job quite well when it's working properly, but only for Apple devices. We have to maintain separate policies for Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony devices all using their own "screen time" methodology (Microsoft is the worst), and kids figured out how to game it because it's all disconnected, such as watching YouTube on a fucking switch when they run outta time on their iPads. :nut:

ExtraSlow
05-11-2023, 01:16 PM
My other kid seems to have all their peers on a discord server as the main method of chatting. That cracks me up, but whatever.

DonJuan
05-11-2023, 01:18 PM
... and kids figured out how to game it because it's all disconnected, such as watching YouTube on a fucking switch when they run outta time on their iPads. :nut:

When the little shits figure shit like this out I am usually pissed, but kina impressed and proud at the same time. But MOSTLY pissed.

benyl
05-11-2023, 01:24 PM
My other kid seems to have all their peers on a discord server as the main method of chatting. That cracks me up, but whatever.

Yeah, they chat / voice chat on Discord and play roblox. Went to Korea for 10 days over spring break. My kid was in contact with his friends all over the world while there. Can't do that with a flip phone.

I get it. We are screen time hawks, but Discord is like the physical phone was when we were kids. I remember falling asleep on the phone after being on it so long. Hahaha

ExtraSlow
05-11-2023, 01:27 PM
sometimes you don't want them to grow up, you know? Anyway, I think I learned what I need to know from this discussion. I wasn't missing something obvious.

ExtraSlow
05-14-2023, 06:34 PM
Funny timing.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/gen-z-goes-retro-why-the-younger-generation-is-ditching-smartphones-for-dumb-phones

rage2
05-14-2023, 07:31 PM
When the little shits figure shit like this out I am usually pissed, but kina impressed and proud at the same time. But MOSTLY pissed.
The most impressive one I’ve had was when my kid kept messaging me YouTube links at night as messages is unlimited. I’m like wtf is this crap he wants me to watch. Turns out he saved all these YouTube links he wanted to watch and msgd me so he can watch it in messages preview. Apple since patched that screen time bug.

I couldn’t get mad.

Tik-Tok
05-14-2023, 07:52 PM
Funny timing.

It would be nice if a manufacturer would listen to consumers and release a new qwerty slide-out phone.

rage2
05-14-2023, 08:57 PM
It would be nice if a manufacturer would listen to consumers and release a new qwerty slide-out phone.
It sure how profitable it is to design build and sell a phone for 7 people.

Tik-Tok
05-14-2023, 08:59 PM
It sure how profitable it is to design build and sell a phone for 7 people.

Anti-smartphone hipsters, kids who don't need easily breakable smartphones, and the elderly make up at least eight people.

AndyL
05-15-2023, 07:28 AM
I've been eyeballing the tictalk4 for my kiddo; largely because he wants to walk over to codeninjas after school and I want some way to keep an eye on him / get in touch if needed... Keep flip flopping on pulling the trigger, but - kids going to kid, phone will be lost or get dropped in a toilet - wearable seems to me the slightly better choice.

ExtraSlow
05-15-2023, 07:30 AM
Weirdly my kids never lost a phone.

rage2
05-15-2023, 07:43 AM
I've been eyeballing the tictalk4 for my kiddo; largely because he wants to walk over to codeninjas after school and I want some way to keep an eye on him / get in touch if needed... Keep flip flopping on pulling the trigger, but - kids going to kid, phone will be lost or get dropped in a toilet - wearable seems to me the slightly better choice.
I just stuffed an AirTag into their wallet. They go everywhere with their wallet. It tracks everywhere every with 5-10 min intervals between locations.

max_boost
05-15-2023, 09:57 AM
The most impressive one I’ve had was when my kid kept messaging me YouTube links at night as messages is unlimited. I’m like wtf is this crap he wants me to watch. Turns out he saved all these YouTube links he wanted to watch and msgd me so he can watch it in messages preview. Apple since patched that screen time bug.

I couldn’t get mad.

Lol wow
I’m a caveman compared to these kids

ExtraSlow
05-15-2023, 11:32 AM
Let's see how I like it. Ordered.

ExtraSlow
05-24-2023, 07:33 AM
Got it, like it. Emojis and picture texts work fine. The group text with the other kids seem to function.
Phone has WiFi, we will not do that. Plan has zero data so no worries there.

Currently pleased.