PDA

View Full Version : Removing water/moisture from garage

M.alex
05-11-2023, 07:21 PM
In the winter I park my daily driver on a vinyl mat in the garage. The standing water builds up a lot of moisture until I get a shopvac to suck it up.

Are there any ways to automatically remove water/moisture from the garage, such as a dehumidifier? (but not a dehumidifier as it appears they freeze beneath 5*C and break, so not suitable for winter use ... i've seen thermometer get down to -2 or -3*C at times)

Tik-Tok
05-11-2023, 07:59 PM
A garage heater. My garage never goes below 10°c. If the vehicles come in completely covered in snow it takes a few days, or maybe a week, for it to evaporate but it eventually does.

If you're super worried about the humidity from the evaporation, just install an exhaust fan in the ceiling hooked up to a humidity sensor control switch.

ExtraSlow
05-11-2023, 08:02 PM
And, more airflow to the outside. Calgary is a desert environment 10.5 months per year. Water evaporates and sublimates very effectively here. Door open window open, vent fan are all options.

88CRX
05-11-2023, 09:29 PM
Heater, ceiling fan (to keep the air moving around) and an exhaust fan tied to humidistat.

mr2mike
05-11-2023, 10:01 PM
Or don't be poor.

ThePenIsMightier
05-11-2023, 10:25 PM
I use a heater (T= ~12°C) and a fan and a dehumidifier but I should have bought a larger dehumidifier. Getting one too small isn't a disaster, but it requires more hands-on to keep it from freezing up and overloading and maybe burning your house down because it's apparently too stupid to turn itself off.
Maybe I'm over thinking that, but it blows me away how often it freezes completely the fuck up and is clearly balls-to-the-wall running, not shutting down and I have to physically turn it off.

Putting two cars in/out covered in snow? You need a better solution. My garage mat is absorbent, so that changes a variable slightly, but I'm not sure by how much.

Darell_n
05-12-2023, 06:02 AM
Trench drain with a sump. Throw in either a bucket or sump pump to empty itself outside. (with heat tape)

arcticcat522
05-12-2023, 08:57 AM
No love for an HRV?

bjstare
05-12-2023, 09:07 AM
No love for an HRV?

That's what I was thinking, but it sounds like the garage isn't heated, and idk if HRV still works the same in the cold? I assume no, but I'm not that type of engineer.