PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any luck with squirrel traps?

Tik-Tok
05-19-2023, 08:51 AM
Normally we have a few around that like to dig up my wife's garden seeds. This year we've got a crazy amount, and they're also digging up a shit ton of my lawn as well. Mrs.Tok is against poisoning them, so I want to try trapping them and "relocating" them (to Race City's old location).

Anyone tried squirrel traps like this one? Do they work on our cities giant black squirrels?

suntan
05-19-2023, 09:28 AM
Yeah they work fine.

Release them somewhere where there's mature evergreens though that's within city limits as the black/grey ones are not native to Alberta.

ExtraSlow
05-19-2023, 09:35 AM
Could release them into the bow river for about 10 minutes before you remove them from the cage.

bjstare
05-19-2023, 10:24 AM
Could release them into the bow river for about 10 minutes before you remove them from the cage.

My FIL just puts a bag over the trap and ties it to his exhaust pipe for a few mins. Yes, seriously. :rofl:

littledan
05-19-2023, 10:42 AM

I approve of this message.

Also if you catch a squirrel you need to release it far as fuck away from your property or it will just return. They are like homing pigeons without wings.

Tik-Tok
05-19-2023, 10:52 AM
That's why I'm shipping them to Race City (https://goo.gl/maps/v2pGJYMsxsWm6w1v7)

suntan
05-19-2023, 11:00 AM
That's a death sentence for them. Just drown them then.

D'z Nutz
05-19-2023, 11:02 AM
Anyone tried squirrel traps like this one? Do they work on our cities giant black squirrels?

Yes! I've had success with these types of traps. We had problems with squirrels living on our roof and in the gutters many years ago and they'd often be running around and fighting and gnawing on shit. Finally had enough and bought one of these traps and caught them pretty quick.

I don't know if these are the type of squirrels you're referring to though but here are videos of them haha

8w61ZnEvYQc

uO04NfuAA4A

I can't remember what we used as bait, but it looks like peanuts and Captain Crunch in the one video which seems vaguely familiar.

Tik-Tok
05-19-2023, 11:04 AM
Since my joke is bad enough that I have to explain it...

I'm putting them in the fucking green bin, the composting facility is where Race City was.

D'z Nutz
05-19-2023, 11:10 AM

I'm putting them in the fucking green bin, the composting facility is where Race City was.

Oh that's good. There will be lots of stuff for them to eat and live out long and healthy lives.

SJW
05-19-2023, 11:35 AM
You wanna get squirrels? Use snickers chunks for bait. Gets em every time.

ThePenIsMightier
05-19-2023, 11:51 AM
My dad used to have 3 enormous walnut trees and we were infested with those shitty, invasive grey squirrels. I would have guessed there were 6-12 making the rounds. I was incorrect. He killed 80 in one month and about 30 per month, every month that they were active. The garbage bin was heavy with them. Their population is endless.

The thing to get is called a Conibear Trap. Be careful, as they mean business.

suntan
05-19-2023, 01:56 PM

Vote NDP and they'll be a protected species.

ThePenIsMightier
05-19-2023, 02:38 PM
Need explain on Race City more, plz.
:facepalm:

"If you watch a squirrel long enough, you'll see it either rape or be raped."

Tik-Tok
05-23-2023, 09:06 AM
Took three days, probably because we were in and out of the yard the entire weekend, but got the first one. It's the only grey squirrel that's been a pest, so I took this one to the bus station 5kms away. If it reappears, it'll be the train station from then on.

SJW
05-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Took three days, probably because we were in and out of the yard the entire weekend, but got the first one. It's the only grey squirrel that's been a pest, so I took this one to the bus station 5kms away. If it reappears, it'll be the train station from then on.

Bucket of water. Dunk. Never comes back.

2Legit2Quit
05-23-2023, 09:30 AM
That's good eatin right there

ExtraSlow
05-23-2023, 09:51 AM

Yessir.

D'z Nutz
05-23-2023, 10:12 AM

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/vintage-joy-of-cooking-cookbook-shopping

https://assets.bonappetit.com/photos/59139ddd2b06566b8c385e23/master/w_1280,c_limit/joy-of-cooking-squirrel-3.jpg

Gray squirrels are preferred to red squirrels, which are quite gamy in flavor.

bjstare
05-23-2023, 10:27 AM
I've never seen instructions on how to peel a squirrel before, but that's exactly what I would've guessed it would look like.

Pacman
05-23-2023, 10:36 AM
The traps work well for squirrels. I had an issues and took them into fish creek and let them go. However, I did end up catching a racoon in one of the traps which was interesting. Had to call the pros in for that one as it was hissing at me whenever I got close to the trap and that mofo had huge claws on it.

suntan
05-23-2023, 10:42 AM
The traps work well for squirrels. I had an issues and took them into fish creek and let them go. However, I did end up catching a racoon in one of the traps which was interesting. Had to call the pros in for that one as it was hissing at me whenever I got close to the trap and that mofo had huge claws on it.

Put your hands next to your ears and flap, you have to show the animal who is the alpha.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2023, 10:42 AM
I've never seen instructions on how to peel a squirrel before, but that's exactly what I would've guessed it would look like.

Nailes it.

ThePenIsMightier
05-23-2023, 12:09 PM
"Why would you take a squirrel to a train station?"

-regards

Tik-Tok
05-23-2023, 12:10 PM
"Why would you take a squirrel to a train station?"

-regards

I'm feeding the homeless.

2Legit2Quit
05-23-2023, 12:21 PM
Someone doesn't Yellowstone

in4squirrelskinningpics

Buster
06-11-2023, 08:35 AM
best place to buy these? HD?

SJW
06-11-2023, 08:47 AM
best place to buy these? HD?

Or can tire. Use snickers pieces to catch.

Buster
06-11-2023, 08:48 AM
Do you buy the bucket at the same time, or in two separate visits?

Tik-Tok
06-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Do you buy the bucket at the same time, or in two separate visits?

You live on a lake, you don't need a bucket. If the neighbors ask, tell them its a lobster trap.

Buster
06-11-2023, 10:47 AM
You live on a lake, you don't need a bucket. If the neighbors ask, tell them its a lobster trap.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

BokCh0y
06-11-2023, 11:12 AM
Yes! I've had success with these types of traps. We had problems with squirrels living on our roof and in the gutters many years ago and they'd often be running around and fighting and gnawing on shit. Finally had enough and bought one of these traps and caught them pretty quick.

I don't know if these are the type of squirrels you're referring to though but here are videos of them haha

8w61ZnEvYQc

uO04NfuAA4A

I can't remember what we used as bait, but it looks like peanuts and Captain Crunch in the one video which seems vaguely familiar.

So where did you end up releasing them...or did you? And where did you put the traps to catch them when they were on your roof and gutters - serious question as I am having similar issues. I was going to just put them on the ground with some bait.

Tik-Tok - same q for you re: where did you put the trap to trap them and bait you used.

So when releasing say in the Evanston area, did you just toss a blanket over the trap, transport, then slide the blanket off and open the door to let the squirrel out? Did the fucker just take off it did it want to fight?

I'd appreciate some info as I have squirrels all over the property and have been catching them on surveillance cam and such although no fighting. Ideally I'd just gas them out or drown them buy wife says no....so they're to her friends in Evanston who keep yapping about catching and releasing them and how they aren't a nuisance, live and let live blah blah. Her friends like them so much, they can have them.

Tik-Tok
06-11-2023, 11:17 AM
I've been putting them in the raised vegetable gardens and using peanut butter on a cracker, but have only caught two so far. I'm switching to shelled peanuts, because someone around here is feeding them those. Both times I released them near Fish Creek. The first time was an eye opener. Those fuckers are FAST from a dead stop, literally gone in the blink of an eye, so make sure you open the door pointed away from you. If it wanted to, it could have ran right up my body before I could react.

Buster
06-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Imma take em to the art room

ThePenIsMightier
06-11-2023, 11:21 AM
There should be no worry of them coming after you. They are very flighty and motivated to fuck off.

Tik-Tok
06-11-2023, 11:24 AM
There should be no worry of them coming after you. They are very flighty and motivated to fuck off.

My concern was being between the open cage and the tree, it might use me as a ladder.

BokCh0y
06-11-2023, 11:38 AM
I've been putting them in the raised vegetable gardens and using peanut butter on a cracker, but have only caught two so far. I'm switching to shelled peanuts, because someone around here is feeding them those. Both times I released them near Fish Creek. The first time was an eye opener. Those fuckers are FAST from a dead stop, literally gone in the blink of an eye, so make sure you open the door pointed away from you. If it wanted to, it could have ran right up my body before I could react.

Ok cool, thanks for the 411, I appreciate it.

SJW
06-26-2023, 10:40 PM
Fuck yer squirrels I have a coon problem. Last one broke my trap. Fuckers

Buster
06-26-2023, 10:44 PM
Fuck yer squirrels I have a coon problem. Last one broke my trap. Fuckers

D'z Nutz
06-27-2023, 12:04 AM
So where did you end up releasing them...or did you? And where did you put the traps to catch them when they were on your roof and gutters - serious question as I am having similar issues. I was going to just put them on the ground with some bait.

Tik-Tok - same q for you re: where did you put the trap to trap them and bait you used.

So when releasing say in the Evanston area, did you just toss a blanket over the trap, transport, then slide the blanket off and open the door to let the squirrel out? Did the fucker just take off it did it want to fight?

I'd appreciate some info as I have squirrels all over the property and have been catching them on surveillance cam and such although no fighting. Ideally I'd just gas them out or drown them buy wife says no....so they're to her friends in Evanston who keep yapping about catching and releasing them and how they aren't a nuisance, live and let live blah blah. Her friends like them so much, they can have them.
BokCh0y Oh shit I didn't see this question until now. Yeah, I actually released them out by Chestermere. I was living in Monterey at the time and I just drove eastbound on #1 until I saw some trees and pulled over and let them out. I watched where they were frequenting and put the trap on the ground near by with a mix of cereal and nuts inside to lure them in.

And yeah, like Tik-Tok says, those fuckers will shoot out the trap like a cannon ball as soon as you open the door so make sure you're pointing it away from you.

BokCh0y
06-27-2023, 12:08 AM
BokCh0y Oh shit I didn't see this question until now. Yeah, I actually released them out by Chestermere. I was living in Monterey at the time and I just drove eastbound on #1 until I saw some trees and pulled over and let them out. I watched where they were frequenting and put the trap on the ground near by with a mix of cereal and nuts inside to lure them in.

And yeah, like Tik-Tok says, those fuckers will shoot out the trap like a cannon ball as soon as you open the door so make sure you're pointing it away from you.

No worries. Lol Chestermere and thanks for the 411.