PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block

AzN_4_LiFe
04-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey everyone,

This is my first time on the bike forum for this website. In a month I should be getting my biker license after the biker's Ed (if all goes well) and hopefully getting a bike soon after that. This will be my first time experiencing a ride on a motorbike so I hope I'll learn something from you guys

My first bike won't be a sports bike unfortunately, so I'm deciding whether a dual purpose bike or a cruiser should be my first. Hopefully, there are more of you out there who own cruisers so I can learn a thing or two.

If you guys have any input on the decision of a new bike, I'd like to hear from you.

17 year old, 180 pounds lookin for a cruiser (maybe dual purpose)

ramminghard
04-05-2004, 01:47 AM
whats your price range? Honda rebel 250 would be a sweet first bike. ther are an awesome machine that look like a cruiser.

AzN_4_LiFe
04-05-2004, 01:54 AM
The price range is not a problem.

Because I'm still young and with my parents, they'll disown me if I ride a sports bike while I'm still under their roof (bastards!! :thumbsdow ) lol but I'm glad I convinced them to let me ride in the first place. They are asian, and being traditional asian parents, its a big accomplishment. Being my first bike they agreed to get me the bike for me. So they were thinking about a 2004 Kawaski Vulcan 500. Hopefully, because my dad might want to ride as well, we could get a higher class so that he could use a nice one as well.

ramminghard
04-05-2004, 02:04 AM
you'll be suprised how fast cruisers are.

AzN_4_LiFe
04-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I probably would be very surpised.

My dad thinks that a sports bike by the way they are all made with you hunched over and pegs far back that when you ride one you automatically want to drive fast. Because of this he thinks if he gets me one, no matter where I go I'm going to jump past the speed limit and weave through traffic, do burnouts, blah blah blah. With a cruiser, the way its made you want to relax and drive casually, not always wanting to drive fast. I'm not certain exactly how true or false he is, but it has some logic behind it. My reply to him was that even in a car you can drive fast and do stupid shit, and if your a good driver you have the ability to control your speed and be smart on the road. Like I said earlier tho, i'm glad he's letting me get a bike in the first place.
What do you think about the difference between sport and cruisers?

ramminghard
04-05-2004, 03:51 AM
cruiser riders want to do exactly that, cruise. some people find it more fun to go fast. If you want to sell him on sport say, better brakes and better manueverability than a cruiser. Depending on the sport bike you get they can be very comfortable. The gsxr 600 is a heally hunched-over bike while the katana puts you in a very comfortable position. Look into sport touring bikes. suzuki Katana, yamaha yzf 600r are a couple. go to blackfoot and sit on a bunch and see what feels best.

Sportbikes can go fast but so can cruisers. its all the rider

I feel that the position on a sportbike keeps me focused on what i am doing and what is happening around me. on a cruiser its too laid back and i feel like it would be easy to completly forget about what i am doing and crash or worse. especially on longer rides.

method
04-05-2004, 09:00 PM
the street isnt a race track. getting a cruiser isnt the end of the world, I wouldnt mind one at all. when you're riding on the street it's more about personal preference than the bike. when you're on the track, having a cruiser is useless, but on the street it's a different story.

picture the difference between having a truck and a sports car. sure the car is more adept at handling, and would perform best on a track, on the street the truck is competent enough.

some of those kawasaki drifters are badass.

ramminghard
04-06-2004, 01:07 AM
lots of guys dragrace cruisers but they wouldn't be too good on a roadcourse

RiCE-DaDDy
04-06-2004, 01:12 AM
man u are damn lucky that parents are even paying it for u

get a ninja500, call it a "street" bike

AzN_4_LiFe
04-06-2004, 04:23 AM
I see what all you guys are talking about, and I totally agree. (except about the "street" bike ninja 500. My parents think I'd die for sure on a ninja. The term they use for a sports bike is ninja, so i think they are out of the question until I can buy my own. But whatever, for sure pretty soon I'll be out on the road on something with you guys. I'm damn stoked to be riding on the streets. even better to have a riding crew. This site has meets at the timmie's off glenmore S.E. right? I can't remember which meet is which.