PDA

View Full Version : Tall trees to replace Columnar Aspens

Rocket1k78
06-14-2023, 01:24 PM
Anyone got recommendations for trees that are similar to Swedish columnar aspens? We have 3 of these that are huge and provide coverage from the neighbors and last year i lost one to the bronze leaf and now the other one is going and im sure its just a matter of time til the middle one gets it.

Doozer
06-14-2023, 01:38 PM
We got a Tower Poplar a few years ago and it's great. Similar in shape to a columnar aspen, but a slightly different look so it's better aesthetics for the neighborhood (instead of CAs down every second house). Supposedly also has a much longer lifespan than columnar aspens, although obviously doesn't grow as fast. I've heard that CAs only have a lifespan of 10-15yrs before they generally start dying off.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I was told and that's what we did, so it's something for you to look into anyway. I'll see if I can get a pic later with mine vs my neighbor's aspens.

88CRX
06-14-2023, 01:46 PM
Dakota Pinnacle Birch is a good columnar like tree.

Kloubek
06-14-2023, 01:50 PM
We got a Tower Poplar a few years ago and it's great. Similar in shape to a columnar aspen, but a slightly different look so it's better aesthetics for the neighborhood (instead of CAs down every second house). Supposedly also has a much longer lifespan than columnar aspens, although obviously doesn't grow as fast. I've heard that CAs only have a lifespan of 10-15yrs before they generally start dying off.

We put 10 columnar aspens in our yard. One died, so the company replaced it - with a Tower Poplar. So we had one slightly different tree out of the bunch. Then 2 more ended up dying, and I replaced those with tower poplars as well.

Similar tree in most respects. But the tower poplar seems to either have more branches, or the branches splay out more than the aspens do.

I noticed both grow very quickly.

suntan
06-14-2023, 01:53 PM
If you still want a deciduous tree:

http://plants.spruceitupgardencentre.com/11050013/Plant/433/Laurel_Leaf_Willow

Plant in the middle, will spread as wide quickly.

Others:

http://plants.spruceitupgardencentre.com/11050013/Results/Index/1?Keyword=columnar&CatAny=True&Height=Any&HeightDim=feet&Spread=Any&SpreadDim=feet&FlowerColor=&FlowerColorJS=&FoliageType=&FoliageColor=&FoliageColorJS=&FallColor=&FallColorJS=&SunShade=&Moisture=&Submit=Search

The caragana grows very slowly. Exclude all the cedars.

- - - Updated - - -

Dakota Pinnacle Birch is a good columnar like tree.

Great choice.

schurchill39
06-14-2023, 01:57 PM
We got the bronze leaf on one of our trees two years ago and it died. It transfered to the tree beside it early last year but we trimmed it up and hopefully stopped the spread however if it comes back we will probably just replace it. Great suggestions so far!

littledan
06-14-2023, 02:26 PM
I recommend Cedars + 10 years of growth. So far I'm at year 6 and they are 2' over the fence now!...

6 years ago they were so small they were only fence height!

lol

suntan
06-14-2023, 02:32 PM
I recommend Cedars + 10 years of growth. So far I'm at year 6 and they are 2' over the fence now!...

lol

You are evil.

88CRX
06-14-2023, 04:05 PM

lol

This.

Plus over fertilize by 10x for super growth.