PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Dubai wanting to ship my jeep with me

Jeeper1986
07-12-2023, 01:34 AM
Hello all, so a time in my life has come and I have made the decision to sell everything and make a move to Dubai with the whole family.

Now the question is has any one shipped a vehicle to Dubai?
Which company did you use, which companies to stay away from?

My jeep is in no way stock and comes in at just around 5500lb give and take, so I'm thinking to get a 20 footer and send some belongings with it, I got a few quotes but they range from the lowest 10k to highest 15k Canadian.

Its a 2015 Jeep unlimited 4 door Rubicon hard rock edition with only 117k on it, seeing how expensive stock jeeps or a bit modified jeeps can go in Dubai its cheaper for me to ship it there then selling it here and then buy another one and fixing it up over there iv also have had this jeep since new so every thing done on it was done by me, from maintenance to all the mods.

I have never shipped anything this big before or done such a major move any insight or tips you guys can share?

Thanks for your time

ThePenIsMightier
07-12-2023, 05:20 AM
Gut feeling is there is no way it's worth it and even though you've looked into it, you're missing something..

schurchill39
07-12-2023, 05:49 AM
We've had a bunch of guys ship vehicles when they have moved oversees, mostly to Russia (pre conflict). What pretty much everyone has said get is much insurance as you can, and expect the delivery to take way longer than you are quoted. For example, if they say it will take a month expect almost two.

CLiVE
07-12-2023, 09:46 AM
I have done international moves with my family several times (3?), and each time we've taken a vehicle in a 53 foot container along with other possessions.
I can't remember the overall cost as they were employer sponsored moves, but the process was hassle free. With the container arriving at our door within about a month on both moves to/from South America, and Europe.

pheoxs
07-12-2023, 09:50 AM
Dubai looks to have a 11% tax on imported vehicles, along with some documentation fees. Shipping costs look to be around 5-7k.

Is that really worth it for a 2015?

killramos
07-12-2023, 11:05 AM
Use whoever alqaeda does

roopi
07-12-2023, 01:02 PM
Use whoever alqaeda does

American Airlines or United?

Team_Mclaren
07-12-2023, 04:00 PM
Funny enough, my friend just shipped his Panamera to Dubai from SF (moved there for work). He said the process is pretty simple and after all cost it's cheaper to ship than to buy one there. I was skeptical at first but he showed me the numbers and it actually makes sense.

Sorry I dont have any other info tho.

edit: he used Schumacher for shipping.

ShermanEF9
07-12-2023, 05:27 PM
Are you planning on staying there or is this a temporary move?

Jeeper1986
07-13-2023, 11:56 AM
Gut feeling is there is no way it's worth it and even though you've looked into it, you're missing something..
Iv spend a pretty penny to get my jeep to where it is trust me its worth it

Dubai looks to have a 11% tax on imported vehicles, along with some documentation fees. Shipping costs look to be around 5-7k.

Is that really worth it for a 2015?

Vat is 5% and yes Jeep only has 117k on it. Gears, suspension, steering upgrades, armor, lift, bumpers, winch, and the list goes on and almost all the parts I have on it are high end name brands where I didn't pay full market value for them as my buddy gave me deals as he works at the shop. the bumpers alone combined are about 6k alone lol

Are you planning on staying there or is this a temporary move?
yes selling everything here in Canada and moving there for good got a job lined and everything just haven't gotten the full detail from the employer yet on what they cover and what not so just trying to get an idea

We've had a bunch of guys ship vehicles when they have moved oversees, mostly to Russia (pre conflict). What pretty much everyone has said get is much insurance as you can, and expect the delivery to take way longer than you are quoted. For example, if they say it will take a month expect almost two.

For the time it gets there isn't an issue as long as it gets there, I just don't want to sell it here and having to start from scratch when I get there

msommers
07-13-2023, 12:32 PM
Expats are allowed to drive vehicles lower than Maserati in Dubai?

ThePenIsMightier
07-13-2023, 12:40 PM
I searched on Kijiji and the most expensive one I could find was $50k, (still unsold after two weeks) and has a quarter of the mileage.
So, let's assume OP's is $50k then it still seems like Marth to spend 25% of the value of a depreciating liability to drag it across the planet, one way.
But that's none of my business.

Team_Mclaren
07-13-2023, 02:24 PM
I searched on Kijiji and the most expensive one I could find was $50k, (still unsold after two weeks) and has a quarter of the mileage.
So, let's assume OP's is $50k then it still seems like Marth to spend 25% of the value of a depreciating liability to drag it across the planet, one way.
But that's none of my business.

What kind of research have you done on vehicle prices in Dubai? oh I didnt think so... :rolleyes:

remember, people buy new cars at over MSRP just to ship it oversea to make a profit, this isnt anything new.,

killramos
07-13-2023, 03:10 PM
What kind of research have you done on vehicle prices in Dubai? oh I didnt think so... :rolleyes:

remember, people buy new cars at over MSRP just to ship it oversea to make a profit, this isnt anything new.,

Have you?

Because 5 seconds on google found me a pile of miled up jeeps like this in Dubai for like 25 grand CAD lol
https://uae.yallamotor.com/used-cars/dubai/jeep/wrangler-unlimited

ThePenIsMightier
07-13-2023, 03:23 PM

Fair, but it's being presented more like he's going to pay $12k to take it there, let it depreciate a few more years and then pay $12k to drag it home.
Because of love.

I hope I'm wrong.

you&me
07-13-2023, 03:43 PM
Fair, but it's being presented more like he's going to pay $12k to take it there, let it depreciate a few more years and then pay $12k to drag it home.
Because of love.

I hope I'm wrong.

If we're going to start talking about things we've done "because of love" and the costs associated, I don't know if transporting this Jeep registers on the scale :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
07-13-2023, 03:43 PM
Have you?

Because 5 seconds on google found me a pile of miled up jeeps like this in Dubai for like 25 grand CAD lol
https://uae.yallamotor.com/used-cars/dubai/jeep/wrangler-unlimited

Funny you only mentioned the one that's selling for 25k... I'm sure it's in great condition never rolled over, is that how you buy cars? the cheapest one listed? lol

shipping is only 4-5k + VAT of 5%. That's hardly 12k....

killramos
07-14-2023, 01:22 AM
Funny you only mentioned the one that's selling for 25k... I'm sure it's in great condition never rolled over, is that how you buy cars? the cheapest one listed? lol

One? There were almost 50 in the list I sent, several way cheaper than that.

Heck even the 0 mile ones are going for comparable prices to what a new loaded wrangler goes for here these days, let alone layering in some 5 figure shipping bills to sit around wondering where your car is for months.

Is that how you buy cars? Just know some other moron paid too much to do something dumb so whatever you overpaid must be justified?

Team_Mclaren
07-14-2023, 01:48 AM
One? There were almost 50 in the list I sent, several way cheaper than that.

Heck even the 0 mile ones are going for comparable prices to what a new loaded wrangler goes for here these days, let alone layering in some 5 figure shipping bills to sit around wondering where your car is for months.

Is that how you buy cars? Just know some other moron paid too much to do something dumb so whatever you overpaid must be justified?

Your link has 46 listings from brand new to used lmao, did you even look at the prices? or do you just pull numbers out of your ass? Sure some listings are comparable prices to here, given that OP knows his own car(and money he put in himself, which has value to him) and shipping is only 4-5K, it doesn't seen outrageous to have it shipped.
I dont know where you get 5 figure shipping bills... lol. another number you pulled out of your ass i assume. 5 seconds of google search brings up est of 4-6k https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-uae/

No I buy cars whenever I feel like it, do some research and look for one i like with a reasonable price. Sometimes something pops up interesting and I just buy it. I mean, I've probably bought more cars in the last year than you have in 10... At least I dont claim my relative's car as my own.

killramos
07-14-2023, 01:59 AM
Your last post literally said 12 k lol, the whole situation is straight Marth even with your numbers :rofl:

It’s ok. You got called out saying something stupid. You will get over it.

Congrats on going through lots of cars, I’m sure you are very proud of yourself? I hear they won’t sell cars to just anyone, that must make you very special.

Can’t say I have ever called a relatives car my own, sounds like you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.

Team_Mclaren
07-14-2023, 02:14 AM
Your last post literally said 12 k lol, the whole situation is straight Marth even with your numbers :rofl:

It’s ok. You got called out saying something stupid. You will get over it.

Congrats on going through lots of cars, I’m sure you are very proud of yourself? I hear they won’t sell cars to just anyone, that must make you very special.

Can’t say I have ever called a relatives car my own, sounds like you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.

what are you on seriously? if you'd just stop choking on buster's dick every post he makes maybe you'll make some sense.

Buying car is fun, it's more like a hobby. it doesnt make me special. But it definitely lets me understand the market.

killramos
07-14-2023, 02:21 AM
what are you on seriously? if you'd just stop choking on buster's dick every post he makes maybe you'll make some sense.

Buying car is fun, it's more like a habit. it doesnt make me special. But it definitely lets me understand the market.

Taxes. Shipping. Fees. Registration. Certification. greasing the port worker to get your car off the boat a week sooner.

All dilutives that make shipping a very ordinary car around the globe a dumb idea.

Gotcha. Helps you understand the market. The market you clearly didn’t understand based on the giant list of jeeps I found that make more way more financial sense to just buy than shipping one to Dubai from Canada.

Say what you want about Buster but I didn’t notice him suggest something this dumb

You can keep trying to make personal digs at me, unfounded as they are, it definitely demonstrates the quality of your arguments.

Team_Mclaren
07-14-2023, 02:30 AM
Taxes. Shipping. Fees. Registration. Certification. greasing the port worker to get your car off the boat a week sooner.

All dilutives that make shipping a very ordinary car around the globe a dumb idea.

Gotcha. Helps you understand the market. The market you clearly didn’t understand based on the giant list of jeeps I found that make more way more financial sense to just buy than shipping one to Dubai from Canada.

Say what you want about Buster but I didn’t notice him suggest something this dumb

Once again lets make up costs that dont exist to justify your claim. If you'd only read other comments and people who has done it, it does seen relatively simple and cost effective to do. So again that brings the question, why not?!

It's funny how you'd like to fit in all the time, I'm sure you're a chill guy not behind the keyboard. I guess I'm just sick of your stupid fucking posts that contributes nothing but hate.

4WARNED
07-14-2023, 06:22 AM
i'd suggest you get ahold of Dan (aka Grecy) from The Road Chose Me series. He posted his Jeep adventures on here in a couple of threads and surely could add some insight to your questions.
ironically, i'm halfway through reading his two books (Father's day gifts)

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/414893-The-Road-Chose-Me-Driving-a-Jeep-Gladiator-around-Australia?highlight=road+chose

ExtraSlow
07-14-2023, 07:01 AM
Night shift got spicy

JRSC00LUDE
07-14-2023, 07:20 AM
This thread warmed my cockles.

ThePenIsMightier
07-14-2023, 07:43 AM
Stellantis is best asset class?

Disoblige
07-14-2023, 07:57 AM
Killramos, when did Team_Mclaren say shipping was $12k?
Maybe you the one who said something weird and should own up to it? You probably should fight with Penisman

max_boost
07-14-2023, 07:59 AM
Night shift got spicy

10/10 read
Both chill guys

littledan
07-14-2023, 08:04 AM
Fight fight fight fight!

ExtraSlow
07-14-2023, 08:04 AM
I was wrong once but I haven't admitted it.

Disoblige
07-14-2023, 08:18 AM
I was wrong once but I haven't admitted it.
Classic EIT.

2Legit2Quit
07-14-2023, 08:42 AM
Someone needs to go to Dubai and buy a used Jeep just to prove others on here wrong

jutes
07-14-2023, 09:01 AM
Fuck Montana, Idaho or Wyoming, the middle east is the real Canadian escape.

bjstare
07-14-2023, 09:04 AM
Perfectly executed internet argument; when it's all said and done, both participants look like losers. Bravo.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-14-2023, 11:37 AM

Not to wade into a good old-fashioned Internet pissing match, but the 12k mention was in response to a different poster entirely.

Because of love.

I hope I'm wrong.

msommers
07-14-2023, 11:48 AM
Stellantis is best asset class?

15 Billion dollar incentives...survey says.......... oh fuck ya

Disoblige
07-14-2023, 12:10 PM
Waiting for killy to say sorry.

ThePenIsMightier
07-14-2023, 12:48 PM
Not to wade into a good old-fashioned Internet pissing match, but the 12k mention was in response to a different poster entirely.

Did I accidentally start this? Urkel.gif

The $12k I mentioned was from the OP and it was an estimate of the shipping cost when he said:
"... so I'm thinking to get a 20 footer and send some belongings with it, I got a few quotes but they range from the lowest 10k to highest 15k Canadian".

Now it seems to me like we are talking about a 8yo 9yo Jeep (rhymes with G, but no G-Wagon) that is likely worth less than $50k, here. It's a massive outlay and risk to spend $12k to ship that across the planet.
Yes, people pay over MSRP to send new vehicles over there to scalp them, but are people doing that with Jeeps, or S-Class AMG's? Are people doing that with used Jeeps?

I don't know for certain the answer to either of those questions, but I feel like I do know. And, OP never indicated that his plans are to sell it there, so it's not far fetched to conjecture that he is planning on taking it home when he returns in less than 6 months because his wife hates being treated like property a couple years. Isn't that getting into Marth^2 territory?
How much can these chattels be worth and how much can you love your chattels?

max_boost
07-14-2023, 01:26 PM
So as buster would say
Who should be taking advice
Who should be giving advice
Etc lol

ThePenIsMightier
07-14-2023, 01:43 PM
So as buster would say
Who should be taking advice
Who should be giving advice
Etc lol

I have never seen a thread where more people talk about a guy who hasn't posted in the thread.
I wonder if shak has?

haggis88
07-14-2023, 01:44 PM
Shipping costs for seacans have increased majorly since the plandemic unfortunately

We shipped a 20ft (contents of a 3 bedroom house) over from Scotland to Calgary and it cost us around 3000GBP, that was door-to-door

They quoted 7 weeks, it arrived in 3 weeks, so I had to scramble to get storage for the stuff as they'll charge a daily fee for it being in their yard/container, although there are worse problems to have

upakweship.com - they take care of the whole lot from the admin side, all you are responsible for is packing the container

SKR
07-14-2023, 06:18 PM
Isn't the place littered with abandoned Ferraris that princes got tired of? Seems like it'd be easier just to drive one of those. But I've always been a very practical person.

ExtraSlow
07-14-2023, 07:41 PM
shak pens penis

- - - Updated - - -
Penis

ExtraSlow
07-14-2023, 08:35 PM
That

mr2mike
07-14-2023, 10:10 PM
Move these comments to Psilocybin thread please.

Gman.45
07-14-2023, 11:46 PM
Vat is 5% and yes Jeep only has 117k on it. Gears, suspension, steering upgrades, armor, lift, bumpers, winch, and the list goes on and almost all the parts I have on it are high end name brands where I didn't pay full market value for them as my buddy gave me deals as he works at the shop. the bumpers alone combined are about 6k alone lol

Do you mean armor as in like a skid plate or rock protection type gear, or actual ballistic armor installed in the body and ballistic armored windows? Here in Canada they've made it almost illegal for a "regular" person to have an armored vehicle, no idea what the import rules into Dubai might be.

Disoblige
07-15-2023, 10:10 PM
Killy we know you see this. Now kiss and make up.

max_boost
07-16-2023, 01:45 AM
We will just keep posting in threads they aren’t in to lure them out lol

killramos
07-16-2023, 02:35 AM
Killy we know you see this. Now kiss and make up.

Hey I’m all for egging someone one to do something dumb if it is likely to lead to my entertainment. But this just screams a waste of money with no subsequent entertainment value.

Wasting money shipping a vehicle, so common as to be a commodity, around the planet continues to rank as dumb advice in my books. Especially once it had been established that there are lots of miled up jeeps for sale in the UAE.

These things are always much more complicated and expensive than they come off. I facilitated a similar shipment once ( for my mother due to a language barrier, wouldn’t want anyone getting confused here ), once the dust settled it cost 3x the value of the vehicle to have it landed and properly registered. I am sure Dubai is a very chill and anticorrupt place to do this sort of thing and will let you just drive it out of a container into the sunset without a taste.

Been a busy weekend, haven’t had much downtime for a wall of text. Please like and subscribe to my OF for more frequent content drops!

mr2mike
07-16-2023, 09:55 PM
Get a new one when you're there. Like this Cherokee.
https://youtube.com/shorts/GPCuqM-2fQ0?feature=share3

schurchill39
07-18-2023, 06:40 AM
Do you mean armor as in like a skid plate or rock protection type gear, or actual ballistic armor installed in the body and ballistic armored windows? Here in Canada they've made it almost illegal for a "regular" person to have an armored vehicle, no idea what the import rules into Dubai might be.

I think to us lame citizens when someone mentions armor, especially on a jeep, they mean skid plates and steel bumpers etc.

Jeeper1986
07-26-2023, 11:07 PM
holy cow guys chill, I'm in the process of selling my house, haven't been able to log on for a while.

I'm taking the jeep with me to be my personal vehicle.

Sure I can buy another jeep while in Dubai but to build one like the one I got currently would cost a lot more then what I have spent on my current jeep.

Also I wont be back in 6 months because of my wife wanting back because she wont want to feel like she's property loool, I should mention I am Lebanese, so not only would I be closer to my country ill have a job that the government wont take half my pay in taxes. Also she doesn't want to work no more so shes getting the better deal here :rofl:

The shipping is already in line, will be sending it in a 40ft container with all my belongings that i'm taking with me for the price of around 5200 Canadian and will take 21 days to arrive, or my second option is around 4200 Canadian and it takes 6 months to arrive lol.

Jeeper1986
07-26-2023, 11:17 PM

A small rundown retail for parts only

lift $2000
tires 37s $3500
bumpers rear $2800 and front $3000
winch $2100
Regear $1400 both axles
Rear and front track bars $800
upgraded front end steering $1300
slanted soft top $2400
fender armor $2600
diff covers $400
$22300 that's only in parts and no install/shop charges and these parts are for a JK model not the JL model those are completely higher prices

other then the gears, I installed and did all the work my self on the jeep.

yes yes I know cars get devalued every day and such I know that

the jeep cost 50k at the time with the trade in and warranty out the door was 65k take you all the upgrades I put on the jeep took a few years to get it to where it is now.

So lets say I sell my current jk at like 40k on a good day heres a 2020 https://www.dubicars.com/2020-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-2020-local-price-625752.html with 67000k with 5% tax only, puts me at $57750 canaidan and lets say I can score the same brand name parts for as cheap as 22300k that puts me at $80050 so it makes sense to spend lets say on the higher end 15k landed and fees paid in Dubai

with my jeeps worth if i sell it at 40k plus the 15k puts me at 55k all in so yes ill rather save 25k and the time its gonna get me to mod and install everything my self again

haggis88
07-27-2023, 06:08 AM
The shipping is already in line, will be sending it in a 40ft container with all my belongings that i'm taking with me for the price of around 5200 Canadian and will take 21 days to arrive, or my second option is around 4200 Canadian and it takes 6 months to arrive lol.

If you can't fill it completely, there's usually people looking to pay you some cash to take the extra space ;)

Jeeper1986
07-27-2023, 09:29 AM
MY CONTAINER!! lol dont want the hassle

haggis88
07-27-2023, 09:35 AM
MY CONTAINER!! lol dont want the hassle

Depending on the shipping company, it's usually them who take care of it...just makes your shipping cheaper. We filled our container but the company had a bunch of people in line wanting space in containers coming to Canada. Of course if you don't really care about saving the money then it's not worth it lol

Be wary on that 21 days though, make sure you have contingency if it takes less than that, I can only imagine what the price for it to sit in the bonded yard in the UAE is per day :nut:

ExtraSlow
07-27-2023, 09:46 AM
Cool adventure, keep us updated.

Jeeper1986
07-27-2023, 09:52 AM
Depending on the shipping company, it's usually them who take care of it...just makes your shipping cheaper. We filled our container but the company had a bunch of people in line wanting space in containers coming to Canada. Of course if you don't really care about saving the money then it's not worth it lol

Be wary on that 21 days though, make sure you have contingency if it takes less than that, I can only imagine what the price for it to sit in the bonded yard in the UAE is per day :nut:

yes I know what you mean, some plans have changed, might be going to Dubai first to settle things there then coming back to Canada to ship every thing and picking the family up.

The container will be dropped off at my place to load the jeep and all the belongings that i'm taking then they will pick it up and away it goes

Cool adventure, keep us updated.
Will do!!

SKR
07-27-2023, 11:38 AM
If you can't fill it completely, there's usually people looking to pay you some cash to take the extra space ;)

I 100% thought you were making a joke about smuggling either humans or drugs or both. I'm still about 60% sure.

haggis88
07-27-2023, 11:41 AM
I 100% thought you were making a joke about smuggling either humans or drugs or both. I'm still about 60% sure.

Govern yourself accordingly :)