PDA

View Full Version : Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership

Pages : [1] 2

riander5
08-02-2023, 10:24 AM
Parents are looking at buying a new small SUV once they retire, with the hopes of not replacing it for a decade or more.

Looking around.... CRV's and Ravenous 4's are being sold for crack money.

Mazda CX-50 seems to be near the top of any new car list...

Maybe a few years old RDX or NX300??

What would you guys pick for a long term ownership SUV in todays market?

jutes
08-02-2023, 10:33 AM
CX-50 is small now?

My parents have an almost 10 year old CX-5 with zero issues...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-02-2023, 10:34 AM
Anything Toyota/Lexus.

riander5
08-02-2023, 10:37 AM
CX-50 is small now?

My parents have an almost 10 year old CX-5 with zero issues...

Isnt the CX-50 just a slightly rugged version of the cx-5? Same size essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything Toyota/Lexus.

Was steering them towards an NX300... Can basically buy a used one for not far off a Rav4 these days.

killramos
08-02-2023, 10:40 AM
NX300 is a great option.

I’ll have a pretty nice one for sale whenever my Grenadier / GX550 arrive

riander5
08-02-2023, 10:40 AM
NX300 is a great option.

I’ll have a pretty nice one for sale whenever my Grenadier / GX550 arrive

Is that in the next 2 months or longer

killramos
08-02-2023, 10:42 AM
I’m guessing 6-9 months at this point

JRSC00LUDE
08-02-2023, 10:58 AM
RDX is a great little not SUV not car.

SJW
08-02-2023, 11:14 AM
I have a boner for Toyota. We bought a new Highlander in 2013. Since buying it 10 years ago we've only ever had to do the water pump. That's the only thing that's gone wrong in 10 years.

ExtraSlow
08-02-2023, 11:15 AM
Toyota has a pretty good product.

max_boost
08-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Anything Toyota/Lexus.

yup C4S for lexus Redlyne_mr2 for toyota

for a good no bs, non greasy car buying experiences aha

riander5
08-02-2023, 11:59 AM
I have a boner for Toyota. We bought a new Highlander in 2013. Since buying it 10 years ago we've only ever had to do the water pump. That's the only thing that's gone wrong in 10 years.

I like those Highlanders but I think those might be a tad big. They are going to get a full size truck too so want this to be Rav4ish size. They originally talked about a Corolla Cross which I convinced them is too small

XylathaneGTR
08-02-2023, 12:20 PM
I'd vote for an NX300. Have enjoyed ours - usual toyota/lex quality & comfortable. Hate the trackpad in the previous gen, but it's manageable.

msommers
08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
A number of neighbours/friends have Mazda SUVs and everyone seems to love them.

Can't really go wrong with a RAV4/CRV but getting a new one is tough. Unless you're ok with a used/on the lot vehicle

jutes
08-02-2023, 12:54 PM
X1 M35i.

Pacman
08-02-2023, 01:54 PM
Toyota if you want to play it safe. VW Taos if you to have something more fun but gamble on if the car will try to light itself on fire each time you start it.

03ozwhip
08-02-2023, 02:04 PM
X1 M35i.

I had a 2015 and man I miss that thing. Dinan stage 3 FBO was something else in that little thing. I love my BMWs though, so I am bias.

suntan
08-02-2023, 02:30 PM
I dunno I rented a latest-gen RAV4 last year and the ride on it sucked donkey balls.

Xtrema
08-02-2023, 02:33 PM
New Outlander.

Readily available.

Base on Nissan Rouge

10 year powertrain warranty or Mitsubishi folds, whichever comes 1st. :D

pheoxs
08-02-2023, 02:41 PM
Value wise I'd say the Mazda is your best bet. A rav4 is better but at the price premium and headache to get one today I just don't think it's worth it.

Doozer
08-02-2023, 03:05 PM
They'll need to drive to tell. People, especially non-car people, often end up completely surprising you with what they like.

I wanted a Rav4 for the wife's next car, but she vetoed it immediately after the test drive. She's not a "car person" but hated the engine, felt it was underpowered. Numbers were comparable across the board for most models, but she hated driving it. We got a Rogue.

I know this is an anti-Nissan fan forum, but honestly the Rogue gave her everything she wanted, price was better, she felt the engine was peppier, she's much happier with it.

The Rogue was recently rear-ended and she has a Rav4 rental while her car is in the shop, and it just confirmed that she still hates the engine and doesn't like driving it.

Just my .02

Whoever is owning the car really needs to test drive, because you'll be amazed at the comments you hear from people who aren't "into" the car stuff. What makes them happy about cars can be amazing.

Darell_n
08-02-2023, 05:10 PM
I’m shopping for the same size of vehicle in the next month, short list is a CX-5 (lots) / CX-50 (rare) or an Outback Wilderness. Was considering an EV for the last while, finally noped out as we tend to keep the wife’s car for 10 years. Maybe yes if Tesla makes another big price chop.

rage2
08-02-2023, 06:55 PM
They'll need to drive to tell. People, especially non-car people, often end up completely surprising you with what they like.

I wanted a Rav4 for the wife's next car, but she vetoed it immediately after the test drive. She's not a "car person" but hated the engine, felt it was underpowered. Numbers were comparable across the board for most models, but she hated driving it. We got a Rogue.

I know this is an anti-Nissan fan forum, but honestly the Rogue gave her everything she wanted, price was better, she felt the engine was peppier, she's much happier with it.

The Rogue was recently rear-ended and she has a Rav4 rental while her car is in the shop, and it just confirmed that she still hates the engine and doesn't like driving it.

Just my .02

Whoever is owning the car really needs to test drive, because you'll be amazed at the comments you hear from people who aren't "into" the car stuff. What makes them happy about cars can be amazing.
Sounds just like my MILs story.

Yup. Went through a car buying process for the MIL a couple years ago. Finalized on the Nissan Rogue and the RAV4 from looking at #'s. I loved the RAV4, drove like a car. I hated the Rogue, CVT made it drive like a sponge. She chose the Rogue because it was so smooth. The sponge feel was preferred. I was blown away.

max_boost
08-02-2023, 07:25 PM
My gf is also team rogue. She loves hers.
I thought it was okay.

ercchry
08-02-2023, 07:40 PM
I dunno I rented a latest-gen RAV4 last year and the ride on it sucked donkey balls.

Did you drive it at more than 80% of the speed limit? You’re not supposed to do that

ShermanEF9
08-02-2023, 07:43 PM
I have friends that were set on getting a rav4 until they rented an escape for a weekend. After that they couldn't go back. Same story. Engine was rough, interior felt dated, felt like the rav was a lot of money for what you got, even in higher trims.

ThePenIsMightier
08-02-2023, 08:38 PM
With the Escape, the key benefit is the touch screen. It's only 8 menus deep to turn the heat up, or release your own seatbelts.
#Safety

rage2
08-02-2023, 10:20 PM
Rav4 is a touchscreen and wireless CarPlay too. Believe it was updated this year. The older one was also touchscreen but it looked old and dated. I have it in our sienna.

Nufy
08-03-2023, 07:47 AM
Wife picked up a Honda HRV last spring and really enjoys it.

AWD, a little less cargo space than a CRV but a bit cheaper as well.

Passenger compartment seems to be the same size.

tirebob
08-03-2023, 08:42 AM
I have friends that were set on getting a rav4 until they rented an escape for a weekend. After that they couldn't go back. Same story. Engine was rough, interior felt dated, felt like the rav was a lot of money for what you got, even in higher trims.

I had a 2019 Escape bought brand new. Loved it until just before 60,000km the short block had to be replaced. Then at 65,000km the head had to replaced. Then at 75,000km the turbo had to be replaced. I got rid of it and got an NA 2022 Rav4 and so far it has been solid...

cyra1ax
08-03-2023, 08:58 AM
I have a CX-50 GT, it's a nice vehicle. Drives like a go-kart which is awesome, but the gas mileage is terrible. Partially due to me having a lead foot, partially with how the gas pedal is programmed, it's way too easy to get into boost and go for smiles per gallon.

jwslam
08-03-2023, 09:59 AM
Unpopular opinion but Kia Souls are super roomy in the front seats... and the way the doors open in that boxy style are just so good for old people swinging their legs in

Xtrema
08-03-2023, 10:53 AM
Unpopular opinion but Kia Souls are super roomy in the front seats... and the way the doors open in that boxy style are just so good for old people swinging their legs in

Korean 4 bangers and long term ownership doesn't belong in the same sentence.

tonytiger55
08-03-2023, 11:09 AM
Honda CRV.
The Rav 4 is a second choice but the ride will be too hard for elderly. Body hurts. I know mine does. Do a long drive in the Rav 4 then get into a CRV. You will feel the difference.

The vehicles may cost more. But that's the difference where you save on long term maintenance and reliability.
Other option would be the luxury arm (Lexus and Acura).

If you are going down the Mazda route, then find a reputable mechanic for their input. But if you are spending that much money, why not spend a little more and get the Rav4/CRV?

Its like buying rice. Indian/Asian people are gona buy the premium Basmati/Jasmin rice regardless if its on sale or not. We buy it because we know its good shit. The slightly cheaper brands of these are the people who drive Mazda's.
But then there are people who are gonna buy the cheap crappy rice to save $7.79. These are the people the drive Ford's, Nissans and Hyundai's. But every time one eats that cheap rice for the months to come, its exciting at first. Then the suffering comes... One spends hours making a delicious curry. Only to be served with cheap rice... The horror...But one can take comfort that they saved $7.79 with every mouthful as the tears roll down.

If you are not sure, go to the parking lot of a TNT grocery store and look at the vehicles parked there.

On side note for funnies. Ask your parents what kind of rice they eat and see if that correlates what kind of car they end up buying. Science yo.

r3ccOs
08-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Honda CRV.
The Rav 4 is a second choice but the ride will be too hard for elderly. Body hurts. I know mine does. Do a long drive in the Rav 4 then get into a CRV. You will feel the difference.

The vehicles may cost more. But that's the difference where you save on long term maintenance and reliability.
Other option would be the luxury arm (Lexus and Acura).

If you are going down the Mazda route, then find a reputable mechanic for their input. But if you are spending that much money, why not spend a little more and get the Rav4/CRV?

Its like buying rice. Indian/Asian people are gona buy the premium Basmati/Jasmin rice regardless if its on sale or not. We buy it because we know its good shit. The slightly cheaper brands of these are the people who drive Mazda's.
But then there are people who are gonna buy the cheap crappy rice to save $7.79. These are the people the drive Ford's, Nissans and Hyundai's. But every time one eats that cheap rice for the months to come, its exciting at first. Then the suffering comes... One spends hours making a delicious curry. Only to be served with cheap rice... The horror...But one can take comfort that they saved $7.79 with every mouthful as the tears roll down.

If you are not sure, go to the parking lot of a TNT grocery store and look at the vehicles parked there.

On side note for funnies. Ask your parents what kind of rice they eat and see if that correlates what kind of car they end up buying. Science yo.

I last drove a CX-5 from years ago and hated it. However the latest gen with CX-5/50 w/ the 2.5 turbo and 6 speed auto, I think offers an almost Q3/Q5 level of creature comfort and driving performance, yet cheaper than utilitarian leveled CR-V/Rav 4.

However reliability... Nissan and Mazda are maybe a step above a Ford/GM.

I really liked the Ford Escapes since the 2nd Gen using the Ecoboost. However that US made 2.0 version for many years would have full on block issues (hoping the latests have solved that in the Maverick/Bronco)

If they actually have, the Bronco/Maverick isn't a bad choice neither

msommers
08-03-2023, 11:23 AM
Indian/Asian people are gona buy the premium Basmati/Jasmin rice regardless if its on sale or not.

This changes everything I thought I knew.

suntan
08-03-2023, 01:11 PM
Did you drive it at more than 80% of the speed limit? You’re not supposed to do that

lol I thought it was just me.

riander5
08-04-2023, 09:00 AM
I had a 2015 and man I miss that thing. Dinan stage 3 FBO was something else in that little thing. I love my BMWs though, so I am bias.

Haha I appreciate how fun a stage 3 X1 might be... but not exactly what the old folks are looking for here

- - - Updated - - -

I'd vote for an NX300. Have enjoyed ours - usual toyota/lex quality & comfortable. Hate the trackpad in the previous gen, but it's manageable.

Good to know, I had an IS250 (last gen) and the infotainment was terrible. But it will still be better than the fiat500 its replacing.

- - - Updated - - -

*snip*

100% they will need to drive and make the choice. I'm just trying to narrow it down to 3-4 winners instead of them going off the board.

For reference they drive a 2011 dodge dakota and a 2012 fiat 500 right now. Not exactly class leaders in their day, and they are god awful cars. I'm hoping to prevent them picking the worst car on the market again.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds just like my MILs story.

Haha thats hilarious. My younger brother has a 5-6 year old rogue. It's not bad, but it's certainly not great either.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I'm steering them away from Korean cars for long term ownership. Not worth the risk despite the great packages / options they all come with.

- - - Updated - - -

*snip*

We are white, and yes we use china lily for soy sauce.. so that mean's they'll probably end up with a Ford :rofl:

killramos
08-04-2023, 09:05 AM
There is nothing really wrong with an escape or bronco sport

riander5
08-04-2023, 09:25 AM

Bronco sports were pretty middle of the pack in all the car review / comparisons (for whatever they are worth)

An Escape is probably worth tossing in for a test drive with the rest of the lot forsure.

killramos
08-04-2023, 09:29 AM
I don’t hate the bronco sport as much as many seem too.

A lot less vanilla looking than an escape in a sea of vanilla cars.

SJW
08-04-2023, 11:56 AM

He said long term ownership. Fords shit the bed after 4 years.

suntan
08-04-2023, 12:09 PM
Rogue was redesigned, apparently much better.

msommers
08-04-2023, 12:09 PM
He said long term ownership. Fords shit the bed after 4 years.

+1. Bob's experience is more akin to the rule than the exception w.r.t. Fords. Their trucks used to be different but some co-workers have had a hell of a time with their F150s, constantly in the shop (though thankfully under warranty).

Biggest issue I've with my 4Runner after 12 years and 208,000 km is the fuel mileage sucks. Otherwise it's been regular maintenance stuff.

My mom's CRV has had its own set of issues, mainly tied to electrical gremlins that the dealership can't diagnose.

FraserB
08-04-2023, 12:50 PM
I'm just about to hit 30,000km (will roll over on the drive home) on my RDX and I can't even think of a real complaint I have with it, maybe another 20L of space in the fuel tank would be nice. The only real issue that I've had is a park sensor that probably took a small rock hit and is acting up. And I'm not a huge fan of 20" wheels and low profile tires, but thats not a car issue and is easy to fix

riander5
08-04-2023, 01:24 PM
I'm just about to hit 30,000km (will roll over on the drive home) on my RDX and I can't even think of a real complaint I have with it, maybe another 20L of space in the fuel tank would be nice. The only real issue that I've had is a park sensor that probably took a small rock hit and is acting up. And I'm not a huge fan of 20" wheels and low profile tires, but thats not a car issue and is easy to fix

I do think the new RDX / MDX are real lookers as well. Probably my favorite new SUV in terms of aesthetics, unless you go full Lexus with their cool new boxy SUVs

- - - Updated - - -

Rogue was redesigned, apparently much better.

That new front end is awful... but maybe they will like it? Probably worth a drive

Darell_n
08-04-2023, 01:38 PM
The Rogue is a 3-cylinder with a CVT. Is this really what Beyond people are advocating for? What forum am I on here.

riander5
08-04-2023, 02:12 PM
The Rogue is a 3-cylinder with a CVT. Is this really what Beyond people are advocating for? What forum am I on here.

Rage 2 said it first... :angel:

tonytiger55
08-04-2023, 02:20 PM
I do think the new RDX / MDX are real lookers as well. Probably my favorite new SUV in terms of aesthetics, unless you go full Lexus with their cool new boxy SUVs

- - - Updated - - -

That new front end is awful... but maybe they will like it? Probably worth a drive

I test drove the Lexus's. They look good. But I found the interior designed to be targeted towards women in the late 40s who own Michael Kors handbags. The drive was very dull and uninspiring... a bit on the harder side too. My bones hurt after the drive.

As for the Rogue do any of you feel confident the engine will last 15 years? I test drove one a while back. The Nissan was like the chicken and rice you get at Nandos. Nandos was good back in its heyday but its lost that magic. When you bite into the chicken, its like you can taste the chicken did not have a happy life. You get the feeling the workers who put the Nissan together were not happy. They knew it was not great but management kept telling them its a great idea.
Then again, why would you get the Chicken and rice at Nandos when the Asian mom and pop restaurant you get the real deal (& better rice).

RDX is not a bad choice come to think of it.

How the hell is Ford mentioned in this thread? Like wtf. That's like having a Jeep Off Road thread and someone mentioning (prob me) there is nothing wrong with a Honda CRV.

suntan
08-04-2023, 02:33 PM
I test drove the Lexus's. They look good. But I found the interior designed to be targeted towards women in the late 40s who own Michael Kors handbags. The drive was very dull and uninspiring... a bit on the harder side too. My bones hurt after the drive.

Perfect. Will get for wife.

Pauly Boy
08-04-2023, 02:40 PM

Well it is for old folks, so there's that.

I have no comment on the Rogue other than my anecdotal evidence of the handful of people I know that have been very happy with them. 2 Elderly. 1 Female. Take that for what you will.

After cheap F150 lease was up we got a 2023 Rav4 for the wife. I will agree with the other comments that the 2.4l gas Ravioli is not great & somehow feels sluggish for a bigger NA 4cyl. The ride is surprisingly rough for a what it is compared to the rest as well. 2023 was an update year, so they fixed some of the infotainment/interior complaints (or so I'm told). My biggest complaint about the damn thing is the doors don't auto lock themselves LIKE EVERY OTHER NEW CAR IN THE WORLD - It's not even an option. You have to press the button on the fob likes it's 2005 again. WTF Toyota. It was for the wife again, not my first choice but we got a good price & there was one exactly as she was going to spec it available (keep in mind this was Feb).

We test drove the Bronco Sport. The bigger 2.0l turbo was great. the base 3cyl was anemic and does not belong in that SUV. No complaints other than it was a lot of money for what you got and had some weird options included or omitted vs the competition at $50k.

CRV was good. Only a 1.5l turbo, but it never felt sluggish like the base Bronco or ancient Rav engine. The creature comforts really didn't kick in until you get into the EX trim though & unfort the wife didn't like the interior or Honda styling.

The RDX is great BUT Acura isn't selling anything less than the Aspec package in Canada now - The Tech was the perfect blend of price vs creature comforts. Design is great. Aspec price starts getting into real luxury SUV territory & at that point I'd say take a NX350 over it.

Did not dabble with the Koreans, Mazda or VW/Audi. I can say, I really, really like the VAG interiors though.

suntan
08-04-2023, 02:44 PM
Anybody try out the RDX or MDX recently?

Pauly Boy
08-04-2023, 02:51 PM
I test drove the Lexus's. They look good. But I found the interior designed to be targeted towards women in the late 40s who own Michael Kors handbags.

:rofl: :rofl:

That's actually the perfect way to describe them, lol.

killramos
08-04-2023, 02:59 PM

As for the Rogue do any of you feel confident the engine will last 15 years? I test drove one a while back. The Nissan was like the chicken and rice you get at Nandos. Nandos was good back in its heyday but its lost that magic. When you bite into the chicken, its like you can taste the chicken did not have a happy life. You get the feeling the workers who put the Nissan together were not happy. They knew it was not great but management kept telling them its a great idea.
Then again, why would you get the Chicken and rice at Nandos when the Asian mom and pop restaurant you get the real deal (& better rice).

RDX is not a bad choice come to think of it.

How the hell is Ford mentioned in this thread? Like wtf. That's like having a Jeep Off Road thread and someone mentioning (prob me) there is nothing wrong with a Honda CRV.

The latest CRV’s are kindof crap. I bet the ford is more reliable.

Unpopular opinion. Hondas haven’t been the premium / reliable product people make them out to be for a long time.

:dunno:

suntan
08-04-2023, 03:07 PM

Unpopular opinion. Hondas haven’t been the premium / reliable product people make them out to be for a long time.

According to CR BMWs are more reliable than Hondas.

tonytiger55
08-04-2023, 03:51 PM

I'l bet you a bag of Tilda Basmati Rice.

Trigger warning. The video shows a women and her daughter cooking in the kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axMRPJBxQRc

Just curious why you think that?

The K Series engine went all the way up to 2016 in the CRV's. That was a very reliable engine, decent power output for tootling around town and good fuel economy. Then you had the 1.5 Turbo thats gone in most of its lineup. It was purpose built for the CVT.
I would not say the CRV is premium. Its premium in terms of fuel economy in the 50-80km range, and reliability. By reliability I mean the engine. Not anything else. You dont get the same nik nacks like you would in the Hyundai which has more. The CRV Rear doors open fully at almost 90 degrees, very handy with car seats and babies. Honda knows its target market. Thats I think is key... consumer values of its target market.

I would not say Ford is unreliable. Its affordable. But it costs more to maintain. Thats less money for premium rice that's my theory anyway. I don't think Ford owner eat as much rice as East Indian/ Asians.

Also If Ford is just as reliable if not more, then why is it not competitive in the Asian Markets? The cost to maintain it was one of the factors. Come to think.... Ford exited out of the Indian market in 2021. Thats a big market, India surpassed China in population this April. Thats a lot of potential consumers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/ford-calls-it-quits-in-india-over-losses-poor-sales/articleshow/86083123.cms

killramos
08-04-2023, 03:56 PM
I think you should lay off whatever you are smoking lol.

I have never heard a good thing about the Honda 1.5T. Quite a lot of bad things actually. Especially in the CRV.

I don’t think what people do/want in India has any bearing on what Rianders mom wants.

The_Penguin
08-04-2023, 04:17 PM
Mrs. Penguin had a Rogue for a couple of years. It was OK, but really made you want a Murano. She's now on her second Murano. No problems with any of them.
We tried driving a Rav 4, a few years ago. Holy crap we both hated it.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me a free Hyundai. Anecdotal, but every friend/co-worker/family member that's had one has had major problems. My sister and sister-in-law both had engines replaced.
A co-worker had 2 turbos replaced. And the earlier ones had rust issues.

suntan
08-04-2023, 04:19 PM
Funnily enough Kohler also left India.

Xtrema
08-04-2023, 04:20 PM
I think you should lay off whatever you are smoking lol.

I have never heard a good thing about the Honda 1.5T. Quite a lot of bad things actually. Especially in the CRV.

I don’t think what people do/want in India has any bearing on what Rianders mom wants.

1.5T oil dilution issue is mostly solved by burning more gas in cold weather. I think it's somewhere between uninspiring but reliable 4 bangers from Toyota and self immolating 4 bangers from the Koreans.

Honda since 2015 has been more American than Japanese and quality shows.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2019/12/10/honda-quality-crisis-hits-profits/4389232002/

suntan
08-04-2023, 04:53 PM
CRV engine seems to be very good for reliability according to CR even going back a ways.

Tranny was definitely an issue for a while though.

bjstare
08-04-2023, 05:02 PM
The newer crvs are not remotely close to the typical Honda reliability of days past. The only two people I know that have had them, had problems. One with HVAC, the other the fucking engine blew. And they religiously maintained it.

New Hondas might not be junk, but they’re more like ford than they ever have been.

killramos
08-04-2023, 05:13 PM
The newer crvs are not remotely close to the typical Honda reliability of days past. The only two people I know that have had them, had problems. One with HVAC, the other the fucking engine blew. And they religiously maintained it.

New Hondas might not be junk, but they’re more like ford than they ever have been.

Yea I’ve known people with them and their experience was the same. Terrible cars that I couldn’t Recommend to anyone. They weren’t even cheap either which at least ford is.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-04-2023, 05:38 PM
Have to agree I wouldn’t recommend a newer 1.5T Honda to anyone who would want reliability and long term ownership.

suntan
08-04-2023, 05:53 PM
Only problem is everything else seems to be worse.

msommers
08-04-2023, 06:36 PM
This Honda reliability decrease is illuminating

88CRX
08-04-2023, 06:52 PM
Anybody try out the RDX or MDX recently?

Close to 100k kms on our 2020 RDX A Spec and beside going into limp mode in -40c from a frozen air filter and a crappy infotainment systems (mostly apple CarPlay issues) it been only fluids and standard maintenance. We love ours. It’s small though, probably upgrade to MDX next recession.

FraserB
08-04-2023, 08:58 PM
Close to 100k kms on our 2020 RDX A Spec and beside going into limp mode in -40c from a frozen air filter and a crappy infotainment systems (mostly apple CarPlay issues) it been only fluids and standard maintenance. We love ours. It’s small though, probably upgrade to MDX next recession.

Haha, you actually drive yours, I’m pretty sure we bought at close to the same time.

Did you get that letter about the infotainment warranty extension? Has a whole list of issues that are supposedly traced back to poor connections from factory in the 19-20 models

rage2
08-07-2023, 03:00 PM
Rage 2 said it first... :angel:
I literally said I hated it.

I agree with all the views about modern Honda. I used to be a fanboy too. They’re just not as good as they used to be. Same goes for performance side of things. Both the type-r and nsx were underwhelming for me. My expectations were way too high.

alex9119
08-07-2023, 03:56 PM
RDX is a pretty good "luxury" suv. Size is good and the performance is good too. I will have my slightly used one up for sale soon when my integra type s arrives.

riander5
08-07-2023, 11:00 PM
RDX is a pretty good "luxury" suv. Size is good and the performance is good too. I will have my slightly used one up for sale soon when my integra type s arrives.

Go on... the way things are going im feeling i will push them to a lightly used RDX / NX300, or take a look at a new CX-5

ExtraSlow
08-08-2023, 06:27 AM
Isn't lightly used like 99.6% of the new price with 75,000 km's these days? The used market is more fucked than the new market.

88CRX
08-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Haha, you actually drive yours, I’m pretty sure we bought at close to the same time.

Did you get that letter about the infotainment warranty extension? Has a whole list of issues that are supposedly traced back to poor connections from factory in the 19-20 models

I did get the letter yea. Pretty sure I already had the infotainment system wire/connection replaced a few years ago, need to check to make sure.

But the infotainment system (and specifically Car Play) is so laggy, but I think thats more on Apple? Or is that Acura fuckery? Maybe I need to get it checked out again.

Gman.45
08-08-2023, 11:22 AM
I really like the Lexus NX 250/350. The 450H plug in would be perfect for small/mid size SUV IMO, but holy hell are they hard to find. The RX plug in is almost as much as our LC was slightly used, so fuck that noise, 100$k for a mid sized SUV is ridiculous to me, no matter how nice.

Lightly used low KM NX is what I'd be after in a similar position.

tonytiger55
08-08-2023, 11:33 AM
1.5T oil dilution issue is mostly solved by burning more gas in cold weather. I think it's somewhere between uninspiring but reliable 4 bangers from Toyota and self immolating 4 bangers from the Koreans.

Honda since 2015 has been more American than Japanese and quality shows.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2019/12/10/honda-quality-crisis-hits-profits/4389232002/

That was actually interesting to read. But it cited JD power:

In J.D. Power's study of vehicle dependability in the United States, one of Honda's two main auto markets along with China, the Japanese brand fell to 18th place this year from 5th in 2015 and 4th in 2002, its highest ranking.

The engine oil dilation issue was blown out of proportion.
Quality I get. All cars have some sort of recalls. Newer cars will have more electrical problems. What kind of recalls were they? I know the air bag issue was common. But only one major recall was related to the engine.
The oil dilution issue was the engine not warming up/radiator vents opening in colder climates. The 1.5T is better efficient thermally. Thats one of the reasons. Its a byproduct of a fantastically designed engine by people who know what good rice is. It was solved with a software update.

In the north American market the media will blow this up to make it out more than it is so consumers run back to driving a heap of shit Chevy or Chrysler.

OP if you test drive the NX300. Pay attention to the seat size and ride quality. Drive a Ford beforehand if you can. A friend bought a Ford as she just found it more comfortable.

alex9119
08-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Go on... the way things are going im feeling i will push them to a lightly used RDX / NX300, or take a look at a new CX-5

Mines a 2023 White on Red Aspec with extensive Ppf, tint and ceramic coating on it along with a few accessories. Has 3k km on it right now but Im sure when my type s comes I'll probably have about 10k km. I think for a SUV the RDX is probably one of the best choice as the driving dynamic is good its not super fast but reasonable. Look for a 2022 or 23 if you are looking for a RDX most of the kinks are ironed out. What's the time frame like for your folks? Also silverhill with and issues and service is top notch haven't had any issues with that dealer however can't say the same with the other in town.

suntan
08-08-2023, 02:57 PM
That was actually interesting to read. But it cited JD power:

The engine oil dilation issue was blown out of proportion.
Quality I get. All cars have some sort of recalls. Newer cars will have more electrical problems. What kind of recalls were they? I know the air bag issue was common. But only one major recall was related to the engine.
The oil dilution issue was the engine not warming up/radiator vents opening in colder climates. The 1.5T is better efficient thermally. Thats one of the reasons. Its a byproduct of a fantastically designed engine by people who know what good rice is. It was solved with a software update.

In the north American market the media will blow this up to make it out more than it is so consumers run back to driving a heap of shit Chevy or Chrysler.

OP if you test drive the NX300. Pay attention to the seat size and ride quality. Drive a Ford beforehand if you can. A friend bought a Ford as she just found it more comfortable.

https://mycarvoice.com/news/honda-oil-dilution-lawsuit/

All the way back to 2018.

Hell of a rationalization you're doing there.

KrisYYC
08-08-2023, 04:01 PM
I was cross-shopping in this segment a little over a year ago for the wife's new car and test drove a bunch.

CX-5 was pretty good, peppy. The CX-50 turbo was a lot better though. It's not much bigger than the CX-5 but it's laid out nicer. The turbo model is pretty quick.

Rav4 was decent, Toyota reliability and build quality, but she didn't like the way they did the infotainment screen (looks like a tablet glued to the dash). And we couldn't get over the loud engine noise when accelerating.

Honda CRV was lame in all aspects. Super boring. Granted this was the previous gen.

Bronco Sport. Nice interior layout but she didn't like the forward visibility (all she could see was the hood).

Hyundai Tuscon. She hated the capacitive touch for everything. Plus I'm still wary of Korean cars.

We ended up buying a Subaru Forester. She loved the visibility and the overall layout etc. It's a beast in the snow too which is nice.

heavyD
08-09-2023, 10:05 AM
I don't understand how people could cross shop CUV's and settle for a RAV4. It's such an underwhelming vehicle from the low grade interior to the buzzsaw engine especially when you consider the price. Clearly these vehicles are selling on reputation only.

gpomp
08-09-2023, 10:15 AM
I don't understand how people could cross shop CUV's and settle for a RAV4. It's such an underwhelming vehicle from the low grade interior to the buzzsaw engine especially when you consider the price. Clearly these vehicles are selling on reputation only.

I don't think people cross shop as much as you think they do.

88CRX
08-09-2023, 10:22 AM
I've had a Rav4 as a rental before and I was also really underwhelmed. It reminded me of my old Honda Element (super cheap interior, noisy engine, rough ride).

buzzsaw engine
This x100. Shit was loud and annoying.

rage2
08-09-2023, 12:17 PM
When the completion is the Rogue... :rofl:

I dunno I feel like it's got a $40k car interior. Pretty on par with everything else unless I'm missing something. The refreshed interior is definitely a huge step up from our Sienna, which has what I would call a low grade interior.

You're right about the engine tho, and why I'd never suggest the gas version. The hybrid one drives 1000x nicer, but sounds like ass because CVT as well. Same as our Sienna. I mean, I ain't suggesting these cars for the engine note. It's a car that gets the job done better than others.

I wouldn't buy one, and if I did have a need for something like this, I'd jump to the Lexus version.

max_boost
08-09-2023, 12:30 PM
GF's Rogue in shop getting fixed and got a Rav4 as rental, she likes the Rogue much more.
<30 yo white girl if that matters lol

msommers
08-09-2023, 01:00 PM
Sounding like the NX or RX are the play here. Reliable but with some refinements.

Does Lexus require premium on all their vehicles?

bjstare
08-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Sounding like the NX or RX are the play here. Reliable but with some refinements.

Does Lexus require premium on all their vehicles?

I believe so.

But unless you drive for a living, the incremental cost is negligible. Somehow people can’t understand that.

riander5
08-09-2023, 02:10 PM
All the luxury japenese brands do. That's why they are so premium.... Squeeze an extra 5% of HP our of the honda / nissan / toyota engine and it MUST have premium I guess. I'm putting regular in my 04' lexus RX330 with no issues... but its an old beast and any miles at this point are bonus miles, any breakdowns won't be due to fuel octane rating.

ThePenIsMightier
08-09-2023, 02:54 PM
RX manual says yes. Reality says a resounding no.

heavyD
08-10-2023, 07:04 AM
GF's Rogue in shop getting fixed and got a Rav4 as rental, she likes the Rogue much more.

Hmmm.

tonytiger55
08-10-2023, 10:14 AM
https://mycarvoice.com/news/honda-oil-dilution-lawsuit/

All the way back to 2018.

Hell of a rationalization you're doing there.

Im just trying to simplify it.
It was covered quite extensively on the Honda CRV forums.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/oil-dilution-master-thread.195127/

If the same issue was on a domestic, do you think it would gain as much coverage?

I don't get this either. My ex girfriends (Asian, East Indian etc) all had Nissans. I don't get it.

killramos
08-10-2023, 10:21 AM
You seem really hung up with odd conspiracies against the Asians

Pauly Boy
08-10-2023, 10:22 AM
After having a few vehicles now with "premium recommended" I must say the cost savings to run regular vs premium are negligible.

I didn't log my data, but I consistently got much better mileage on premium vs regular in the last 2 Acura's. So I'd save $10 on a full tank buying builder-grade gas but get 50km less than if I had just run premium. The engine would be noticeably less "peppy" when it would retard itself due to the lower octane as well.

suntan
08-10-2023, 10:39 AM
Im just trying to simplify it.
It was covered quite extensively on the Honda CRV forums.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/oil-dilution-master-thread.195127/

If the same issue was on a domestic, do you think it would gain as much coverage?

You're kidding right?

Links on forums is worthless. You can find links on forums for every car brand complaining about something.

You're dealing with products that sell in the millions. There's always going to be complainers.

max_boost
08-10-2023, 10:58 AM
After having a few vehicles now with "premium recommended" I must say the cost savings to run regular vs premium are negligible.

I didn't log my data, but I consistently got much better mileage on premium vs regular in the last 2 Acura's. So I'd save $10 on a full tank buying builder-grade gas but get 50km less than if I had just run premium. The engine would be noticeably less "peppy" when it would retard itself due to the lower octane as well.

Better gas is better gas unless trying to rack up pts during last year’s UFA days lol

heavyD
08-10-2023, 11:32 AM
You're kidding right?

Links on forums is worthless. You can find links on forums for every car brand complaining about something.

You're dealing with products that sell in the millions. There's always going to be complainers.

There's a class action lawsuit for crying out loud. Honda isn't what it used to be. It is what it is.

eblend
08-10-2023, 12:28 PM
New Outlander.

Readily available.

Base on Nissan Rouge

10 year powertrain warranty or Mitsubishi folds, whichever comes 1st. :D

Came here to say the same thing. My dad had the same requirement as the OP, something that can last for a while and not worry about it. Don't know if it will last for a while, but it's 3 years in and still got 7 years of warranty left, so can't really complain, had 0 issues. We got the older model, just before they switched to the new redesign which looks a ton better. Perhaps that's all the OPs parents need, and don't have a need for a Lexus or whatever, just go get from point a to point b, and not have to worry about major expenses when it comes to reliability.

I personally got a Forester Sport for myself, and the Outlander for dad, and I drove both, and yah, the Forester feels like a premium vehicle in comparison, but if all they need is a to b, then it might fit the bill, and be cheaper than most other competition.

EDIT: PHEV is available if they are into saving earth and all that bs.

suntan
08-10-2023, 12:29 PM
There's a class action lawsuit for crying out loud. Honda isn't what it used to be. It is what it is.

I get that, but fact is relative to everything else in that class it's really reliable.

Asian_defender
08-10-2023, 12:58 PM
This thread is enlightening. I was in the market for a newer(ish) Civic. Looks like I'll stay away from the 1.5T

tonytiger55
08-10-2023, 01:14 PM
You're kidding right?

I think you are misunderstanding my point.
There is a distinction between complaining about something and trying to understand what is the actual problem is. The reason I posted the link was just that. There is a lot of miss information of the oil dilution issue and linking problems (or non problems)that have nothing to do with that.
Honda makes thousands of vehicles, oil dilution is not limited to Honda engines. Before I bought my Honda I went though researching this vs Honda as a car engine company that has been making good small engines for decades.
Is there a oil dilution issue, yes. Is it as big as everyone makes it out to be, no. Why...? Many non issues are being linked to that. Does the class action lawsuit scare me or create doubt. No, its the USA. If a assembly tech farted in the CRV during production and shut the door. Someone in the USA would find a way to sue for headaches, health issues....hell im sure there would be at least one classification of a accident or death. At that rate Big pharma in the US would find a way to make it mandatory to take a anti fart vaccine before buying a Honda.

Do I trust the brand on fixing this vs Chevy Ford or Hyundai? Yes. Why..? Its not complicated... Its because they eat good rice, their forefathers were Samurai and Aryton Senna drove a Honda. What more assurance could one need?
Whats the alternative purchase.... A Nissan Rogue?

Kloubek
08-10-2023, 01:46 PM

I agree. They aren't the brand they used to be. I don't necessarily put much into what JD Power has to say, but for shits and giggles:

Not gonna lie. Seeing Dodge and RAM at the top kinda floors me. Historically, Chrysler has made some of the worst vehicles available - although the ACTUAL Chrysler brand itself ranks about as low as I would have expected. Third place is Alfa, which is also quite a surprise. I am lightly considering replacing my XFR, and an Alfa has been a consideration after I had heard how much their quality had improved. But now seeing this list, 3rd place is pretty damn impressive for a brand I THOUGHT would have pretty shoddy reliability.

But to see Honda and Toyota mid-pack or worse is pretty sad. It will take them a lot longer to regain their reputation of quality than it was to lose it. Poor business decisions being made over there. Even Lexus is a third down the list - which is a huge disappointment, as they built perhaps the MOST reliable vehicles for decades.

suntan
08-10-2023, 02:00 PM
RAM #2 because their trucks are nothing but a steering wheel and cab now.

CR:

Anybody have a TrueDelta membership?