PDA

View Full Version : Cut And Polish

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Iv searched this topic.

Any one know what company will do a cut and polish, to a fresh paint job, 2days+.

Post prices/shops..

thanks!

izzoblitzo
04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
hmm... you might wanna check SOS paint and autobody.. Im not too sure how much it would cost (I guess it'll depend on the scope of work) but just ask for Loc, and tell him I sent ya, and see what happens. They do some crazy work.

davidI
04-05-2004, 10:39 AM
I've always heard you were supposed to wait a couple weeks before doing anything to a new paint job. :dunno:

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Okay ill wait...

cut and polish involves sanding right? 2000 grit?

Spyderman_MaryJ
04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
It may not involve sanding... you can do cut with compounds.

davidI
04-05-2004, 05:02 PM
It's called color sanding when you wet sand the paint. I've heard 2500 grit is what you should use if the paint is in decent shape (as yours should be since it's fresh). It will remove the orange peel off of the paint and other minor imperfections. Then you can use cutting compound and finally polish it. I'm not a detailer or anything but this is what I've read on the Meguiars website and I saw a thing about color sanding on Trucks one day. Sxtasy seems to be a detailer or atleast knows his stuff so hopefully he'll give you more info.

Kaos
04-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
hmm... you might wanna check SOS paint and autobody.. Im not too sure how much it would cost (I guess it'll depend on the scope of work) but just ask for Loc, and tell him I sent ya, and see what happens. They do some crazy work.

I heard SOS is pretty damn expensive.

ninspeed
04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
color sanding is done after the base, or color coat as been applyed. It has to dry according to the paint you are using. Using 1500-3000grit you sand down the color to remove any orange peel in the paint. then you apply your clear coat.

ek9 has your whole car been redone and you are looking to get rid of the dirt nibs and orange peel/dry spray? or had a few panels done and want the rest to look like new?

if its new paint, you can do it 1 day later... but it will actually look worse in a few years. I would wait at least 3weeks for the solvents used in the primer, wet coat, color coat and clear to dry. full cure time is around 4 months depending on the clear you are using

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-06-2004, 01:22 AM
the whole car is fresh paint, clearcoated. 3 days old now. Yeah, I want to get rid of orange peel/dirt nibs and all that other crap...

back to the question i asked... who does it? Companies, body shops?

RawB8figure
03-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Wet sand and then I would do a 3 stage polish

Buldog
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Best bet is to wait 30 days prior to any refinishing.
Exactly what are you trying to fix after a fresh paint?

Buldog
03-21-2005, 07:09 PM
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/auto_marine_aero/-/node_3K876FJC22ge/root_VJ3G0N3T7Ngv/vroot_G75KJBMR4Kge/theme_ca_en_automarineaero_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Check out this site.

If its OP that your trying to remove start with the least agrressive paper say 2000 and keep it clean. If thats not strong enough try 1500

Try a small area first until your comfortable.

Good Luck/

vietdood
03-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo

that's my uncle, my car is there right now getting some dings out and being buffed and polished. it's pretty expensive but they do good work. i was in there today and they were working on a jag and bmw. i always see european cars being fixed there.