PDA

View Full Version : Car auctions in Alberta?

hamster_hammand
08-26-2023, 02:11 PM
Besides the Regal Auctions in Calgary and MichenAllen in Edmonton, are there any other vehicle auctions out there that aren't salvaged (Copart)?

Seems the only deals these days are at these auctons.

ExtraSlow
08-26-2023, 02:25 PM
Pretty sure adesa is dealer-only these days. I remember when they ran occasional public sales.

Anyway, Graham and Rolling have auctions. I don't expect any deals. The NE bros are everywhere.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-26-2023, 02:32 PM
Adesa if you are a dealer, Ritchie Bros.

mr2mike
08-27-2023, 08:47 PM
No deals at these auctions. Only inflated risk on overpaying for something with more damage than you expect.

ExtraSlow
08-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Blind bidding on Kijiji is less risky than public auctions honestly. At least these days.

ThePenIsMightier
08-27-2023, 09:20 PM
It seems a curious thread to start after a quick 14 years of silence.

mr2mike
08-28-2023, 05:57 AM
Inflation brings desperation?

Kloubek
08-28-2023, 09:02 AM
No deals at these auctions. Only inflated risk on overpaying for something with more damage than you expect.

This. The reserve prices tend to be somewhere around the asking price and the selling price of vehicles privately. Yet, auctions remain where dealers send their vehicles to get them the hell outta there. Gone are the days where you'd get a car for 20% cheaper at auction.

max_boost
08-28-2023, 10:06 AM
Inflation brings desperation?

Seems risky
It’s like taking that girl home and not having protection lol

Tik-Tok
08-28-2023, 10:19 AM
More like buying a lottery ticket. You might get lucky, but more than likely it's just another piece of trash.

mr2mike
08-28-2023, 10:51 AM
This. The reserve prices tend to be somewhere around the asking price and the selling price of vehicles privately. Yet, auctions remain where dealers send their vehicles to get them the hell outta there. Gone are the days where you'd get a car for 20% cheaper at auction.

Agreed. The reserve prices are too high, easier to find a deal on eBay motors.

pheoxs
08-28-2023, 11:35 AM

I strongly suspect Regal exists only to screw first time auction goers over. Even junk seems to go higher than is reasonable almost as if people are in on the betting to drive things up and then the buyer fees lumped on top. Absolutely no reason to buy anything there for same price as marketplace and the carfax will now show its an auction car forever.

hamster_hammand
08-28-2023, 01:18 PM
Prices are 50% cheaper if you look at completed auctions.

And you get arbitration so if you buy something with engine, transmission issues you get a refund.

ExtraSlow
08-28-2023, 01:36 PM
Prices are 50% cheaper if you look at completed auctions.

And you get arbitration so if you buy something with engine, transmission issues you get a refund.

Sounds like you are already an auction expert, so the rest of us much just be wrong. Please post the pics and prices of what you purchase.

hamster_hammand
08-28-2023, 01:45 PM
I don't know about Regal, seems the Repo auctions there have high reserves which are close to FB Marketplace prices.

But if you look at MichenerAllen completed auction you can see that buying there some cars is 50% cheaper.

Last week there was a Mint Clean 2013 Toyota Sienna which sold for $6900, these are on Kijiji for $15K.
There is a 2013 X5 on Kijiji right now selling for $15K and if you google the vin, he bought it at auction for only $7K.

ExtraSlow
08-28-2023, 05:47 PM
You literally can't lose. Go buy a few.

Gman.45
08-28-2023, 06:25 PM
Yes, let us know how that "arbitration" works out for you. Sounds like a bulletproof guarantee to me - your bought at auction car has a motor/trans/etc that grenades, you simply return it for a full refund of your purchase.

You find 3 people to post on here that this is precisely what happened to them, with a receipt, I'll buy your next car.

Arbitration policy from a local auction company (I imagine they are all very similar).

Notice the final clause, stipulating they can alter the rules at any time for any reason (sounds solid AF). Also the parts where you can only initiate arbitration if the car hasn't left the auction site (lol), and only within 3 days of full payment (more el oh els). The "word of warning" clause is good times as well.

The steps for arbitration are as follows:
Step 1: Pay for the Vehicle. An arbitration claim will not be considered until the Buyer has paid
for the Vehicle in full. The Buyer must have in his/her possession the sales agreement and
release slip for the Vehicle under review. The Vehicle cannot leave the auction site if it is being
arbitrated.
Step 2: Contact the Company. The Buyer initiates arbitration by contacting the Company’s
Branch Manager or by emailing [email protected]. The arbitration process must be
commenced within three (3) business days of the sale day.
Step 3: Investigation. The Company will review the issue raised. Depending on the nature of
the complaint, the Company may inspect the Vehicle and present a solution. However, in certain
circumstances, the Company may also refer the Vehicle to a specialty shop for consultation and
appraisal. If a specialty shop is consulted, the party against whom the arbitration decision is
made must pay all costs of the consultation including transportation or towing fees, if applicable.
Step 4: Decision. After completing the investigation, the Company will decide whether the
complaint was valid and inform the Buyer of his/her decision. The unsuccessful party will be
responsible for all costs of the arbitration.
Step 5: Remedy. The Company may grant any remedy or relief that it considers to be
appropriate in the circumstances in its sole discretion.
Step 6: Finality. The decision of the Company and the remedy imposed is final and binding on
both parties. By choosing to initiate the arbitration process, the Buyer is agreeing to be bound
by the Company’s decision. By consigning a Vehicle for a sale at auction with the Company, the
Seller is agreeing to participate in any arbitration process that may be initiated, to be bound by
the Company’s decision and to comply with any remedy imposed.
Note: If a Seller or Buyer fails or refuses to comply with the decision of the Company, the Seller
or Buyer will be held liable for all losses, costs and damages including legal fees and any losses
on the resale of the Vehicle. In addition, the Seller or Buyer may have his/her auction privileges
at all affiliated auction locations temporarily or permanently suspended at the discretion of the
Company.
Arbitration Release and Limitation of Liability.
Customer releases and waives all rights, remedies, claims, and causes of action against the
Company, and its present and former officers, directors and employees, and its successors,
predecessors, subsidiaries, affiliates and assigns from any claim or remedy whatsoever,
whether known or unknown, for or by reason of using the services and facilities of the Company
including but not limited to the arbitration process.
A WORD OF WARNING: The arbitration process is not a tool for price reduction or for dealing
with “Buyer’s Remorse”. All Buyers are cautioned to avoid impulse buying and to inspect
Vehicles thoroughly before bidding. Most Vehicles sold at auction have hidden damage and
generally require extensive repair or are not capable of repair and Buyers should allow for this
whenbidding. Arbitrations are regularly monitored by the Company. Any Sellers who engage in
deceptive practices or Buyers who repeatedly submit questionable arbitration claims may have
their auction privileges temporarily or permanently suspended.
Auction Policies and Arbitration Rules
IMPORTANT: The Company reserves the right to interpret and modify these Policies. These
Policies are implied terms and conditions of every agreement, whether written, oral, express
or implied that you enter into with the Company or its Customers.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-28-2023, 06:28 PM
Yes, let us know how that "arbitration" works out for you. Sounds like a bulletproof guarantee to me - your bought at auction car has a motor/trans/etc that grenades, you simply return it for a full refund of your purchase.

You find 3 people to post on here that this is precisely what happened to them, with a receipt, I'll buy your next car.

Arbitration is a joke, even at Adesa as a dealer.

killramos
08-28-2023, 06:40 PM
You literally can't lose. Go buy a few.

This is the way.

Kloubek
08-28-2023, 07:51 PM
I strongly suspect Regal exists only to screw first time auction goers over.

It's bad. I do check out their stuff fairly often, but it's so rare there are actually deals to be had. If something is cheap, it's because it's fucked in some way.

Formulaactions.com also has some Calgary inventory - though they tend to be higher end or niche vehicles there.

hamster_hammand
08-29-2023, 11:54 AM
What about the fleet vehicles?

Most businesses maintain them and they upgrade their fleet every few years and send their inventory to auction.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-29-2023, 12:07 PM
What about the fleet vehicles?

Most businesses maintain them and they upgrade their fleet every few years and send their inventory to auction.

Most fleet vehicles at auction are absolute PILES by the time they make them there.

mr2mike
08-29-2023, 08:11 PM
White is the only color.
Or yellow.

hamster_hammand
08-30-2023, 09:34 AM
Don't most dealers get their vehicles from auctions? If they were all crap then they would go out of business.

ExtraSlow
08-30-2023, 09:39 AM
Not from public auctions. Or very few from public auctions go to reputable dealers.

Tik-Tok
08-30-2023, 09:44 AM
Don't most dealers get their vehicles from auctions? If they were all crap then they would go out of business.

Because used car lots never sell shitty vehicles :rofl:

killramos
08-30-2023, 09:46 AM
What you really need to do is open your own dealership

This one quick tip the dealers dont want you to know!

CompletelyNumb
01-12-2024, 05:54 PM
It's bad. I do check out their stuff fairly often, but it's so rare there are actually deals to be had. If something is cheap, it's because it's fucked in some way.

Kijiji listing brought me down the Regal rabbit hole. Their reserve prices are insane, and most vehicles are listed with major issues. I'm not even sure the "good" looking ones are worth the reserve price.

ExtraSlow
01-12-2024, 05:59 PM
I'd rather buy cars sight unseen on Kijiji than from Regal. I think my odds would be better, and most Kijiji people will let you see the car, and some are even kind enough to let you drive it. Incredible service.