PDA

View Full Version : WWBD? Guy wants inspection on my car for sale.

03ozwhip
10-01-2023, 08:41 PM
Just wondering. This guy wants to take the Mercedes, that is for sale for under 7k with 360k on it to his "buddy" that is a mechanic for an inspection.

I told him no, said it's wierd to do an inspection on this car, but he can get it inspected at a non bias place in strathmore.

More than fair I would think, no? Or am I being wierd lol

ExtraSlow
10-01-2023, 08:43 PM
Well he's going 100 percent use something from the inspection to haggle down. But he probably does actually want to purchase it at some price. How much hassle is it worth to you right now to potentially say goodbye to the car?

killramos
10-01-2023, 08:48 PM
my bias is to say no to taking it to his "buddy" to inspect

his "buddy" is welcome to come take a look at your place while you have a beer and watch, if you have time for that.

SKR
10-01-2023, 08:49 PM
Tell him to get it inspected, and that the price is asking price, take it or leave it. That's what I'd like to say. In reality I'd probably tell him no to any inspection and then stop talking to him.

I'll say your spelling of weird is weird.

corsvette
10-01-2023, 09:05 PM
His “buddy” looking over the car is the same as you having your “buddy” inspect it. I’d 100% offer the non biased option. That’s fair for both buyer and seller.

ThePenIsMightier
10-01-2023, 09:45 PM
Inspections on old cars tell you they're old. I think it's horse shit. Back when I was flipping cars, 100% of the inspections ruined deals.
This just in: cars 20+ years old and under $8k are not the same as new vehicles! Quelle surprise!!

firebane
10-01-2023, 09:49 PM
For me its like.. what do you think an inspection is truly going to tell you? Its a glorified tire kicker test that will point out the obvious flaws that everyone should practically be aware of when buying a vehicle.

A vehicle like this if someone is buying it should already be aware of what common issues and problems are and if not noticeable upon looking it.. make an offer or buy it and move on.

Flexray
10-01-2023, 10:48 PM
These are the types of vehicles that need a pre purchase inspection the most. I want to make sure that I'm buying a $7000 car, not a $200 car for $7000. It is an old machine, it is going to need repairs. I want to know exactly what I'm buying and what it needs.
If a seller denies me an inspection, I will thank him for his time and walk away. He is hiding something and is not to be trusted.
If his buddy wants to take it to his house and do the inspection, he can suck a bag of dicks. He has no garage keepers insurance and I have no recourse if he hamfists my car. Take it to a shop, and have a RO for the inspection, sure.

03ozwhip
10-02-2023, 05:27 AM
I figured these would be the responses, didn't think I was the weird one lol well see how it goes.

killramos
10-02-2023, 07:45 AM
If his buddy wants to take it to his house and do the inspection, he can suck a bag of dicks. He has no garage keepers insurance and I have no recourse if he hamfists my car. Take it to a shop, and have a RO for the inspection, sure.

This sums up my hesitation

Dont have a issue with inspection, do have an issue with it being done by someone who might wreck something

ragu
10-02-2023, 08:41 AM
I’ve dealt with this where buyer likes the car but just isn’t mechanical inclined enough to get over the hump. Or, they need someone they trust to say “yes”. It’s less about mechanical check but more sentimental. I get that because that sum of money can be big for someone.

But, I got to be careful with my time too.

Here’s what I would do:

Agree with buyer that: he places a deposit, and then you’d take it to a garage for 1hr labour where they will confirm engine/ trans is healthy.

If it’s not healthy - you refund his deposit. If it’s good to go, he buys the car.

Up to you how you want to handle the 1hr labor. You can pay, he can pay or split in half…

SJW
10-02-2023, 08:42 AM
Tell him to pound sand.

killramos
10-02-2023, 08:48 AM
I’ve dealt with this where buyer likes the car but just isn’t mechanical inclined enough to get over the hump. Or, they need someone they trust to say “yes”. It’s less about mechanical check but more sentimental. I get that because that sum of money can be big for someone.

But, I got to be careful with my time too.

Here’s what I would do:

Agree with buyer that: he places a deposit, and then you’d take it to a garage for 1hr labour where they will confirm engine/ trans is healthy.

If it’s not healthy - you refund his deposit. If it’s good to go, he buys the car.

Up to you how you want to handle the 1hr labor. You can pay, he can pay or split in half…

under no circumstance would I pay for the labour on a car I am selling, that's 100% his cost

SJW
10-02-2023, 08:50 AM
under no circumstance would I pay for the labour on a car I am selling, that's 100% his cost

It's an old car. Whoever does buy it knows exactly what they are getting into. I would not sell to this inspection asking person whatsoever.

Tik-Tok
10-02-2023, 09:20 AM
Dont have a issue with inspection, do have an issue with it being done by someone who might wreck something

Or steal something, because a transmission can get easily swapped in a day.

Rocket1k78
10-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Or steal something, because a transmission can get easily swapped in a day.

This 100% especially on something that could be hard to find parts for. If you got a decent vibe about them and theyre not far I would take it and watch but no way I would leave it.

Gman.45
10-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Glad you said no.

IMO in a similar situation I "may" consent to an inspection, but it'd be happening with me being on hand while it occurred. WAY to easy for this "friend" mechanic to fuck something up, either intentionally or accidentally with a car of this age and KM. I'd only do that if I was certain that the buyer was extremely interested and not just screwing around. Your solution of a neutral ground place is more than fair.

Good call OP.

Proyecto2000
10-02-2023, 11:05 PM
I went through this with an idiot kijiji buyer during covid. I was selling a car fully serviced by Lexus of Calgary since day one and I showed him a pile of service records including the 40 or whatever point inspection form that they had filled out a month earlier during an oil change. He looks at it and tells me its BS and that he needs his "buddy" the mechanic to look at it. I told him that I would only take it to Lexus for the inspection and on his dime as I could care less about his buddy being a good mechanic.

he argued with me for a minute and I told him to screw off. Sold it to the next guy who showed up an hour later without any BS.

Shlade
10-04-2023, 07:53 AM
Have his Buddy come to your house and inspect it there. Or like you said take it to shop of your choosing in Strathmore.

Its an old car. Govern yourself accordingly buying one

g-m
10-04-2023, 08:31 AM
I've agreed with a seller before that I would pay for an inspection (I was keen on compression test, it was a Subaru) at the dealership. Seller would bring it and pick it up and I just paid them.

Motor had no compression one time and I ended up buying the next one that had good compression. Nobody is going to let me do a full compression test at their house and I didn't want to buy a used sti with no compression test. So that's an example of where a buyer, even mechanically inclined, would want an inspection.

I did offer the first guy substantially less and would've just rebuilt or replaced the short block but he turned around and sold it to someone else. Blown.

riander5
10-04-2023, 08:46 AM
For newer cars -

I had this done on my 2016 340 when I sold it.

I think it's actually a sign you have a serious, motivated seller. You're gonna haggle and drop some price no matter what. I used it to just negotiate off the listed price. Instead of listing something at $40 and someone offering you $38 and you take it, use anything on here to negotiate off $40.

Unless the car is in shitty condition it should work out for you. At worst, you got an inspection on someone elses dime.

On an old ass car -

Might be a waste of time haha

killramos
10-04-2023, 08:49 AM
Its a sign buyer is serious if they are willing to pay a reputable shop for it.

If him and his buddy are going to fuck around with it for a Sunday afternoon in their garage crushing brewskies its a sign of a loser.

ThePenIsMightier
10-04-2023, 08:51 AM
Have his DAD come to your house and FUCK HIM VIOLENTLY. Or like you said take it to shop of your choosing in Strathmore.

Its an old car. Govern yourself accordingly buying one

fixed^

riander5
10-04-2023, 08:54 AM
Its a sign buyer is serious if they are willing to pay a reputable shop for it.

If him and his buddy are going to fuck around with it for a Sunday afternoon in their garage crushing brewskies its a sign of a loser.

Yea, my guy took it to a bmw dealer. If it's some pals shop on a Sunday, agreed, its BS

03ozwhip
10-04-2023, 08:58 AM
Yea, my guy took it to a bmw dealer. If it's some pals shop on a Sunday, agreed, its BS

Newer car I fully understand, paying 40k I would do the same, but I would take it to a dealer for inspection. I just honestly thought a neutral place would eb the way to go, take it to mercedes, I don't care.

Anyways, haven't heard back from him so who knows.

killramos
10-04-2023, 09:22 AM
if there is something I fully trust a dealer for its to give me a laundry list of items to spend money on

heavyD
10-04-2023, 11:03 AM
I've agreed with a seller before that I would pay for an inspection (I was keen on compression test, it was a Subaru) at the dealership. Seller would bring it and pick it up and I just paid them.

Motor had no compression one time and I ended up buying the next one that had good compression. Nobody is going to let me do a full compression test at their house and I didn't want to buy a used sti with no compression test. So that's an example of where a buyer, even mechanically inclined, would want an inspection.

I did offer the first guy substantially less and would've just rebuilt or replaced the short block but he turned around and sold it to someone else. Blown.

I would not buy a use higher mileage Subaru of any model. Our 2014 Outback served us well but once the mileage got near 150k it started to fall apart and consume/leak oil.

firebane
10-04-2023, 11:22 AM
I would not buy a use higher mileage Subaru of any model. Our 2014 Outback served us well but once the mileage got near 150k it started to fall apart and consume/leak oil.

We just sold a 2006 Subaru Forester with 317,000km and it still had LOTS of life in it. Subarus inherently burn oil as they age because of their engine design. Lots of high mileage Subarus out there running around. The rear body parts usually rust out before the engine dies.

killramos
10-04-2023, 11:26 AM
dont most subarus need a new engine every 18 months?

:rofl:

g-m
10-04-2023, 11:52 AM
This one was 95k kms and 5 years old. I've got nearly 170k on it now and it runs great.

My last one I sold with 340,000km but it did have a new engine at ~250k.

A new shortbock is only like 1500-2000. And Subaru engines are super easy to pull

Edit: I was wrong it's more like 3000 for a new or rebuilt

vengie
10-04-2023, 12:11 PM
It's a $7k 20+ year old project car.

Pound sand.