PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Honda Prelude?

rc2002
10-26-2023, 07:36 AM
Concept car right now, hoping for something cool but not holding my breath after seeing the new Integra.

https://www.motor1.com/news/693045/honda-prelude-concept-japan-mobility-show/amp/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45633444/honda-prelude-concept-revealed/

nismodrifter
10-26-2023, 07:40 AM
No h22 no care

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-26-2023, 07:47 AM
“Sporty Hybrid”

Meh

rage2
10-26-2023, 07:53 AM
No h22 no care
Looking back, I don't really think the h22 was a great engine. The b series had way more potential with less displacement.

heavyD
10-26-2023, 08:14 AM
It would be cool if they could make it AWD. There's a serious lack of affordable AWD coupes. Is there even anything out there outside of the M240i which isn't what I consider affordable for most people?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking back, I don't really think the h22 was a great engine. The b series had way more potential with less displacement.

It wasn't bad relative to other 4-cylinder engines in the day but it pales in comparison to the B series which stands with the K series as the gold standard for NA 4-cylinder engines.

vengie
10-26-2023, 08:16 AM
Looks like a 6-6 coupe

Rwd?
Fwd would be silly.

rage2
10-26-2023, 08:17 AM
It would be cool if they could make it AWD. There's a serious lack of affordable AWD coupes. Is there even anything out there outside of the M240i which isn't what I consider affordable for most people?
Depending on how you define affordable, I shopped this segment. Audi A5/S5/RS5, C/E coupes, and Lexus RC were the other ones I cross shopped.

heavyD
10-26-2023, 08:18 AM
Depending on how you define affordable, I shopped this segment. Audi A5/S5/RS5, C/E coupes, and Lexus RC were the other ones I cross shopped.

LOL that's not affordable for the masses. M240i appears to be the most affordable and I don't consider it affordable to most. That said car pricing is all out of whack right now as Integra Type S, Corolla GR, Civic Type R, Golf R are all seriously overpriced.

rage2
10-26-2023, 09:12 AM
LOL that's not affordable for the masses. M240i appears to be the most affordable and I don't consider it affordable to most. That said car pricing is all out of whack right now as Integra Type S, Corolla GR, Civic Type R, Golf R are all seriously overpriced.
That’s why I said define affordable. You mentioning the bmw made me think we’re talking entry level faux luxury.

If you’re talking econobox AWD coupes, did any even exist? The only thing that comes to mind is the Impreza coupe and I can’t even remember if that was jdm only. There never was a market for such a thing.

Xtrema
10-26-2023, 09:16 AM

Cars are not overpriced. Just our money has lost value.

Looks like a 6-6 coupe

Rwd?
Fwd would be silly.

Proportion seem to say FWD. At best it'll give you torque vector via electric motor in the back. That's on point for Prelude if you recall 4WS in the 80s and Type SH in the 90s.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2023, 09:33 AM
Cars are not overpriced. Just our money has lost value..
This exactly.

flipstah
10-26-2023, 09:34 AM

I was gonna say the new Prius is a nice, new AWD econobox.

Then I built one in the configurator. It is not an econobox.

Prius>Prelude

whoreads
10-26-2023, 09:39 AM
I find it strangely Lexus-like.

heavyD
10-26-2023, 10:40 AM
That’s why I said define affordable. You mentioning the bmw made me think we’re talking entry level faux luxury.

If you’re talking econobox AWD coupes, did any even exist? The only thing that comes to mind is the Impreza coupe and I can’t even remember if that was jdm only. There never was a market for such a thing.

Yes they existed but you have to go back to the DSM days. Now that my kids are older I will have less needs for 4 doors and something like this would be ideal. I get that it's not going to be a big seller in today's market of SUV's but if Honda's going to make another coupe it would be a shame for it to be FWD especially if it's going to be electric or hybrid.

rc2002
10-26-2023, 12:52 PM
I agree with all of the comments regarding FWD.

AWD would be nice but FWD seems to be Honda’s MO.

As for H22, it was decent. Smoother and more torque than B-series but they consumed more oil.

bjstare
10-26-2023, 01:04 PM
Yes they existed but you have to go back to the DSM days. Now that my kids are older I will have less needs for 4 doors and something like this would be ideal. I get that it's not going to be a big seller in today's market of SUV's but if Honda's going to make another coupe it would be a shame for it to be FWD especially if it's going to be electric or hybrid.

Honda's proven many times over (and still doing so with the CTR and ITS) that they'll take a fantastic car/chassis, and still pop FWD powertrain in it. If any company was going to make a sporty EV FWD, you can bet it would be Honda.

rc2002
10-26-2023, 01:45 PM
Problem is they charge AWD prices for FWD vehicles. The whole point of FWD is lower price point.

heavyD
10-26-2023, 01:50 PM
Honda's proven many times over (and still doing so with the CTR and ITS) that they'll take a fantastic car/chassis, and still pop FWD powertrain in it. If any company was going to make a sporty EV FWD, you can bet it would be Honda.

FWD is FWD. Civic Type R shines on the track and street in ideal conditions but in wet or cooler temps struggles putting power down which kind of ruins the fun. They did make the S2000 so it's not like they are completely married to FWD. Also as said above they charge AWD pricing for some of their FWD models.

danno
10-26-2023, 03:55 PM
Where is the s2000? When is that showing back up??

I love preludes, I had 2 of them when I was young and still look weekly for a 3rd gen. Not sure this car will do anything for me

sabad66
10-26-2023, 04:50 PM
I really like this. Always wanted a prelude back in high school…I’d give this a serious look when it gets to production. Much nicer than the Integra reboot anyways.

bjstare
10-26-2023, 04:54 PM
FWD is FWD. Civic Type R shines on the track and street in ideal conditions but in wet or cooler temps struggles putting power down which kind of ruins the fun. They did make the S2000 so it's not like they are completely married to FWD. Also as said above they charge AWD pricing for some of their FWD models.

I'm on your side. I hate that they make their only attractive cars these days in FWD, cause I'd never buy one. I'm just saying there would be a better chance of them doing it than any other automaker, given their MO.

Fwiw, I've had a bunch of fwd Hondas and also an S2k haha. I'd like nothing more than for them to do another good RWD sports car, or at least throw SH-AWD into something fun (even if it does make it 350lb heavier).

Pauly Boy
10-28-2023, 07:10 PM
Someone alert Ludegirl asap!

nismodrifter
10-29-2023, 12:27 AM
Someone alert Ludegirl asap!

Oh lawd

killramos
10-29-2023, 07:33 AM
Considering it’s a hybrid I’d guess it’s FWD ICE with the battery in the rear wheels to make it “awd”

msommers
10-29-2023, 11:57 AM
I was, and still am, a sucker for 5th gen Preludes.

I like this new rendering. Reminds me of a mini, less aggressive 2nd gen NSX.

max_boost
10-29-2023, 12:52 PM
Nice to see Honda do some cool stuff :werd:

jabjab
10-29-2023, 12:56 PM
I had a 4th Gen srv (cool dash) and a fifth Gen white with factory red leather many many years ago. I have a soft spot for the preludes

D'z Nutz
10-29-2023, 01:52 PM
I was, and still am, a sucker for 5th gen Preludes.

I like this new rendering. Reminds me of a mini, less aggressive 2nd gen NSX.

For me, it's the 4th gens, especially after the SRV's were introduced in 1993. Something about that curvy body and for that same reason this concept really appeals to me. Loved the interior of the 4th gens too.

davidI
10-30-2023, 03:15 AM
Disappointed when I opened the link and saw the photos.

Seems to be a Prelude by name only. I wish they'd styled it more like the original Prelude or NSX with a more rectangular / boxy back.

This thing looks like some sort of mashup of a Nissan 350Z, Toyota CRV, and Tesla

VTEXTC
10-30-2023, 05:48 AM
Having owned a Type SH from new in '97, I was excited to hear about this concept. I was pretty underwhelmed by the styling, however, when showing it to my 13 year old kid, she was blown away and preferred it to a new Supra which I've been lusting over for a while.....

schurchill39
11-03-2023, 01:18 PM
Disappointed when I opened the link and saw the photos.

Seems to be a Prelude by name only. I wish they'd styled it more like the original Prelude or NSX with a more rectangular / boxy back.

This thing looks like some sort of mashup of a Nissan 350Z, Toyota CRV, and Tesla

I agree. Nothing about this gives me a Prelude vibe at all. :thumbsdow

Swank
11-21-2023, 11:46 AM
Sounds like it's in development now.

https://www-carscoops-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.carscoops.com/2023/11/the-new-honda-prelude-will-be-a-global-model-but-it-wont-be-as-sporty-as-we-might-expect/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQGsAEggAID#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17005761257451&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carscoops.com%2F2023%2F11%2Fthe-new-honda-prelude-will-be-a-global-model-but-it-wont-be-as-sporty-as-we-might-expect%2F