PDA

View Full Version : Tesla drivers have highest accident rates, BMW drivers have highest DUI rates

rc2002
12-18-2023, 11:13 PM
https://www.lendingtree.com/insurance/brand-incidents-study/

For the US. Would be interested to know if Canada is similar.

RAM and Subaru fill out the podium when it comes to accidents.

Darell_n
12-19-2023, 06:57 AM
I used to have lineups near my shop where they install and monthly test the breathalyzer ignitions in cars. I would say the majority were older Dodge trucks or fairly new BMW and Mercedes sedans.

rage2
12-19-2023, 07:44 AM
https://www.lendingtree.com/insurance/brand-incidents-study/

For the US. Would be interested to know if Canada is similar.

RAM and Subaru fill out the podium when it comes to accidents.
I don’t know how you can derive this conclusion from quote data. Tried the tool, pretty basic questions. There’s probably a portion of people that are drivers of the brand chosen, and there’s also a portion of people who are car shopping and curious about how much it costs to insure when they haven’t bought the car yet. The questions asked doesn't have the data to split between these 2 groups, and impossible to guess how it’s split. For all we know bad drivers could be looking to buy Ram so they get the big beast to ram others, or Tesla because they think it drives itself, skewing the results to those 2 brands.

The only think we can conclude is that BMW drivers are a bunch of drunk assholes.

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2023, 07:54 AM

The only think we can conclude is that BMW drivers are a bunch of drunk assholes.

This was a conclusion most of us reached long ago.

killramos
12-19-2023, 07:58 AM
Can confirm, but it’s not our fault we need our water glass filled with beer to chase every cocktail.

Never be poor.

Darell_n
12-19-2023, 08:57 AM
This was a conclusion most of us reached long ago.

BMW drivers are just previous Dodge truck owners that got an office job downtown.

heavyD
12-19-2023, 02:00 PM

Does anyone disagree with Ram owners being the worst drivers? That seemed like common knowledge for some time.

mr2mike
12-23-2023, 02:35 PM
I've had to log a ton of kms in the city recently and I can say without a doubt, 20% of Calgary drivers should have a license suspension. Of those, 5% should never get a licence again or be automatically removed from the gene pool. I mean they're close with some of the risky moves they don't even notice isn't just illegal, but seriously dangerous.

Of those, none were Teslas any maybe 2 were BMW and 8 were high end Benz SUV's.
One Benz couldn't even navigate an illegal u-turn on a red light through an active intersection and had to 3 point turn it.

rc2002
12-23-2023, 10:30 PM
I don’t know how you can derive this conclusion from quote data. Tried the tool, pretty basic questions. There’s probably a portion of people that are drivers of the brand chosen, and there’s also a portion of people who are car shopping and curious about how much it costs to insure when they haven’t bought the car yet. The questions asked doesn't have the data to split between these 2 groups, and impossible to guess how it’s split. For all we know bad drivers could be looking to buy Ram so they get the big beast to ram others, or Tesla because they think it drives itself, skewing the results to those 2 brands.

Definitely not an ideal data set. It does mix existing owners and prospective owners, but maybe if the assumption is that people looking for quotes are pretty serious about buying then maybe the results are directionally ok.

I thought the explanation that RAMs are high powered vehicles with 0-60 times of 7.4 seconds was pretty funny.