PDA

View Full Version : Optometrist that DOES NOT sell glasses

ExtraSlow
12-23-2023, 07:09 PM
Is there such a thing as an optometrist where they won't try to upsell you into eyeglasses, because they don't get kickbacks from the glasses retailer?

Are there any optometrists that aren't attached to a glasses store?

Mainly interested for my kids, but might be good for me too.

mr2mike
12-23-2023, 08:01 PM
The lady that I have seen for years hands over the prescription papers and doesn't push on glasses or anything.
Downside, is she's been at multiple glasses places so I usually have to find her every few years.
But her eye examination skills is top notch.

http://sonjahagemann.com

oster
12-23-2023, 08:49 PM
I despise optometrists and dentists.

Darell_n
12-23-2023, 09:10 PM
Friggin eyelestate agents.

killramos
12-23-2023, 09:32 PM
Is there such a thing as an optometrist where they won't try to upsell you into eyeglasses, because they don't get kickbacks from the glasses retailer?

Are there any optometrists that aren't attached to a glasses store?

Mainly interested for my kids, but might be good for me too.

Get your dr to refer to a pediatric ophthalmologist.

I take my kid to Red Rock by the Tecumseh naval base, no glasses store attached but they were happy to recommend places to buy.

suntan
12-23-2023, 11:26 PM
The optometrist at BH Costco didn't seem to give two shits about if I got glasses there or not.

My youngest goes to Mission Eye Care, Dr. Morrison. She is excellent with children.

I go to Dr. Yang at Eyedeology. Now that I have presbyopia I need to go somewhere where the GAF meter is higher.

Both are never pushy. Mission's eyeglass selection is quite eclectic, like if you're not a middle aged woman that likes to wear fur and animal print there's probably nothing there for you.

Both are pricier, because they have better equipment and do more thorough eye exams (no puff of air machine to find your eye pressure, for instance).

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2023, 12:17 AM
I only recently learned how much of a monopoly the company called Luxottica actually has, and it's shocking. They own a horrifying amount of the glasses you purchase as well as the Optometrist offices that prescribe those glasses.
They purchased Oakley in 2007 for only 2.1 billion dollars. I say "only" because in that same year, WorleyParsons bought an Alberta engineering company (Colt Engineering) for a billion dollars and when you think about the strength of the Oakley brand globally, it sounds like quite a bargain particularly when one considers their patented designs and technology in comparison with a service provider who simply pimps (a bit of an over simplification) out professionals who do work in Alberta.

Luxottica is running the show. And I don't think they lose a lot of sleep considering that improving peoples' vision is a noble endeavor, but still... They have positioned themselves very, very well.

Tik-Tok
12-24-2023, 12:28 AM
Inline with Suntans experience, I used a Costco optometrist once and they seemed completely uninterested in dealing with anything outside their tiny room, and my only question about glasses, they referred me to the people just outside in the eyeglass department.

The_Penguin
12-24-2023, 09:53 AM
Costco Heritage has been great. Then I get most of my glasses from Zenni.

Darell_n
12-24-2023, 10:04 AM
Costco Heritage has been great. Then I get most of my glasses from Zenni.

I use Zenni a lot too. My progressive daily pair went from $1200 to $180 with them and it’s now cheap enough to keep several styles of prescription progressive sun glasses and safety glasses with me. Before zenni that would be like $10k. :nut:

mr2mike
12-24-2023, 10:13 AM
Interesting. I'll have to send them my wife's prescription and see what they charge because hers is usually over $1000 for the lens only.

At first I thought zenni was ZenOps lol