PDA

View Full Version : Unbound Merino - any experience?

JRSC00LUDE
01-02-2024, 02:36 PM
Any of you guys buy these products at all?

https://unboundmerino.com/collections/mens-merino-wool-clothing

I like wool clothing but don't know if this brand actually lives up to the hype. Google reviews are great but someone who bought it is more great.

jwslam
01-02-2024, 03:02 PM
I’ve been watching lots of one-bag-packer videos where they recommend this stuff for odour free, lightweight

but then I remembered I love the dryer too much.

ExtraSlow
01-02-2024, 03:02 PM
$120 for merino undershirt. Baller price for sure. Mec or mountain warehouse will be about half that price.

XylathaneGTR
01-02-2024, 03:10 PM
Probably a reason MEC costs half - lot of reviews of MEC-branded merino literally falling apart immediately, at least from a few years ago. My general rule was never buy MEC-branded gear; not sure if that's changed since their rebuild from Co-op to Corp, but I wouldn't be rushing back to try.
Pricepoint & weight for unbound seems pretty similar to Icebreaker, which I wear a lot of. Interested, as I'm not too impressed with Icebreaker's recent decline in sock quality, narrowing product lines, and weird colourways. I'll probably give a basic v-neck or LS tee a try when I need to buy another.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-02-2024, 04:31 PM
I've had lots of good MEC gear over the years but their mernio layers are dogshit. If you want a cheap set, get them from Decathlon.

Gman.45
01-02-2024, 05:09 PM
Well you got me interested, I love wool clothing. I pointed out the hoodie I was going to order to the mrs as she just walked by, and she cracked me in the back of the head a good one when she saw the $250 price tag.

"Yes hunny, it's probably overpriced, wool prices are crazy or what?"

I ordered 2 anyway.

firebane
01-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Merino wool is like no other. I picked up some merino wool socks and they are warm as hell and keep my feet dry. Plus to that is they don't smell bad like other socks.

ExtraSlow
01-02-2024, 05:35 PM
Merino as a fabric is incredible. I have lots of it. Even have a sweater I got from value village that I use for camping. Awesome stuff. But I'm definitely too cheap for a $120 Tee shirt or a $250 hoodie.

suntan
01-02-2024, 05:56 PM
I like the Kirkland merino wool socks.

bjstare
01-02-2024, 06:14 PM
It’s lovely stuff. Too bad it makes me itchy. I have a few ice breaker items but I can’t wear them.

flipstah
01-02-2024, 10:44 PM
You want Icebreaker.

Quality merino wool stuff

Buster
01-03-2024, 09:12 AM
https://www.etonshirts.com/ca/en/category/dress-shirts/merino-wool-shirts

JRSC00LUDE
01-03-2024, 10:56 AM
https://www.etonshirts.com/ca/en/category/dress-shirts/merino-wool-shirts

Those look awesome for future reference, thanks. Presently on a tshirt mission!

- - - Updated - - -

Well you got me interested, I love wool clothing. I pointed out the hoodie I was going to order to the mrs as she just walked by, and she cracked me in the back of the head a good one when she saw the $250 price tag.

"Yes hunny, it's probably overpriced, wool prices are crazy or what?"

I ordered 2 anyway.
Gman.45 Nice, update with what you think of it please.

In the world of wool products I have a big love for Anian stuff if you've not checked them out before. I'll end up with a modern melton in every colour eventually, have a field coat as well. They'll last forever and are my favourite things to wear all winter.

https://anianmfg.com/collections/shop-mens

flipstah
01-03-2024, 11:36 AM
Those look awesome for future reference, thanks. Presently on a tshirt mission!

- - - Updated - - -

Gman.45 Nice, update with what you think of it please.

In the world of wool products I have a big love for Anian stuff if you've not checked them out before. I'll end up with a modern melton in every colour eventually, have a field coat as well. They'll last forever and are my favourite things to wear all winter.

https://anianmfg.com/collections/shop-mens

I got their Anian chore coat and it's high quality stuff

XylathaneGTR
01-03-2024, 11:49 AM
I have a few sweaters and flannels from Anain...been debating a Berlino or Melton for an overshirt but haven't got around to trying them on.
JRSC00LUDE How warm are they? I tend to run a bit cold, but I don't want a super thick work shirt where i'll sweat my balls off (I have a few denim work shirts, and was hoping these would be a liiiitle bit heavier).
Gracias

JRSC00LUDE
01-03-2024, 11:57 AM
I have a few sweaters and flannels from Anain...been debating a Berlino or Melton for an overshirt but haven't got around to trying them on.
JRSC00LUDE How warm are they? I tend to run a bit cold, but I don't want a super thick work shirt where i'll sweat my balls off (I have a few denim work shirts, and was hoping these would be a liiiitle bit heavier).
Gracias
XylathaneGTR they have good weight to them but won't cook you. I'd say they're about just right, medium weight but can all day wear. I wear it in lieu of a coat anywhere the plus 10 to minus 10. I wouldn't go for a run in them or anything haha

Quality of their stuff is top notch too.

msommers
01-04-2024, 11:19 AM
I've tried a few different brands and ultimately SmartWool has been the highest quality. No experience with Unbound, unfortunately.

Iceberg makes me itch, must be a blend.

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2024, 04:05 PM
I've tried a few different brands and ultimately SmartWool has been the highest quality. No experience with Unbound, unfortunately.

Iceberg makes me itch, must be a blend.
msommers I don't think smartwool makes any t's that are 100% merino, they're all blended?

msommers
01-04-2024, 04:06 PM
Not sure TBH as I've only used their baselayers. Example: https://smartwool.ca/en/sw016349k50.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy9msBhD0ARIsANbk0A-E-ZleCMezpm19R652MdnQXPvSVO5Avm-uy4QaGsm9JB2SsdXTgxwaAqlFEALw_wcB

JRSC00LUDE
02-03-2024, 10:12 AM
I bought 6 tees as a trial run. So far so good. I wonder how they'll be in a year. I'd like to get 3 years wear out of them