PDA

View Full Version : Nova scotia cars as crap as Ontario/qc?

finboy
01-04-2024, 08:30 PM
I know buying a car from qc/Ontario is no big if it’s seen winter, but does that rule of thumb extend to the east coast - specifically Halifax/Nova Scotia?

brucebanner
01-04-2024, 09:13 PM
Short answer, yes.

But with any vehicle out there, if it's been rust checked yearly, cleaned regularly, should be less of a worry.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2024, 10:01 PM
Probaly want an inspection in person or by a mechanic of your choosing to look for corrosion issues.

AndyL
01-05-2024, 09:49 AM
Probaly want an inspection in person or by a mechanic of your choosing to look for corrosion issues.

Make sure mechanic of your choosing isn't east coast based - "normal rust" in ontario is not the same as in alberta :rofl:

brucebanner
01-05-2024, 10:02 AM
Special, more rare of a vehicle or pricing just way better than local?

finboy
01-05-2024, 02:21 PM
Special, more rare of a vehicle or pricing just way better than local?

Rare colour and low miles but skeptical on anything east of sask

Tilly
01-09-2024, 11:57 PM
In my experience every car that’s been driven in Nova Scotia it’s whole like will have plenty of rust. Most of it hiding underneath.

PulsePro
01-11-2024, 12:54 AM
Cars from Nova Scotia are way worse than Ontario/QC. The rust on them is terrible. Only thing about QC cars is they all need brand new suspension.

bjstare
01-11-2024, 08:08 AM
Cars that are from places surrounded by the ocean do tend to rust.

msommers
01-11-2024, 08:26 AM
Cars that are from places surrounded by the ocean do tend to rust.

Do they though

ExtraSlow
01-11-2024, 08:59 AM

riander5
01-11-2024, 10:22 AM
Do they though

Vancouver cars seem to be alright in this regard from what I've seen... Lots of small dents on the bumpers though...

Sugarphreak
01-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Vancouver cars seem to be alright in this regard from what I've seen... Lots of small dents on the bumpers though...

BC has a lot of different climate and social extremes.

Interior vehicles are similar to Calgary, while Lower Mainland cars seem to fare better despite the proximity to the ocean. I think it is just they rarely put down salt or brine for snow. Vancouver Island cars are usually pretty rusty though.

Bumper dings are a Richmond thing, while bagged-to-shit engines is a Surrey thing.

max_boost
01-11-2024, 10:53 AM
Love buying Vancouver cars
They always work out for me
I don’t even bother looking out east

riander5
01-11-2024, 12:11 PM

Interior vehicles are similar to Calgary, while Lower Mainland cars seem to fare better despite the proximity to the ocean. I think it is just they rarely put down salt or brine for snow. Vancouver Island cars are usually pretty rusty though.

Bumper dings are a Richmond thing, while bagged-to-shit engines is a Surrey thing.

Yes, it was my thinly veiled accusation at driver types :D

- - - Updated - - -

Love buying Vancouver cars
They always work out for me
I don’t even bother looking out east

100% - Prices were better than AB both times i bought in BC as well

heavyD
01-11-2024, 01:29 PM
Road salt and high humidity is why vehicles in the rust belt are so bad when it comes to corrosion all over the car. I imagine it's a similar scenario on the east coast. Vancouver gets rain but very little snow so the vehicles there don't see road salt making it generally the safest place in Canada when searching for a rust free car.

nismodrifter
01-12-2024, 05:10 PM
This is the worst it gets here on the left coast. See pic below. They threw down over night as there is a cold snap and snow expected. Roads will look like this for a few days and then it will wash away with next rain fall.

corsvette
01-12-2024, 05:35 PM

I have to disagree about interior vehicles being similar to Calgary/Alberta. Unless that interior is north, Okanagan and south interior vehicles are way cleaner than anything from Alberta. Being a dealer in Alberta, then moving to the Okanagan, I’ve had plenty of experience with this. Only BC trucks I won’t touch is anything north (Prince George, etc) and north coastal (Kitimat, etc)

Agree 100% with lower mainland dents and bruises. Seems every car has half dozen carfax claims for a few grand. Lots of lousy drivers.