PDA

View Full Version : Prolong coughing!!

bigbadboss101
01-10-2024, 08:56 AM
I almost never get sick, may be once in the past 10 year. Since the start of the school year our kids, my wife, and my mother in law (who is visiting) all have been sick 3 or more times.
In October my wife got this cough that lasted almost 2 weeks. My MIL had it a bit later, and I got it in December that lasted almost 2 weeks. No fever or runny nose but an annoying cough that is especially bad at night.
My wife and son both have been to the doctor and was told it's viral, wait and rest. The kids had something different as they had fever, runny nose etc.

The cough stopped late December but its back now we are into the new year. I have tried the Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa, Echinacea, ginger/lemon/honey tea etc. I don't consider myself sick but the cough is a PITA.

Anyone else had similar? Did you have a good remedy?

Brent.ff
01-10-2024, 09:03 AM
Hydrasense.. particularly if it gets worse at night, you're probably post-nasal dripping.

schurchill39
01-10-2024, 09:06 AM
Usually if I get a bad cold in winter I will end up with a prolonged cough that could last up to a month. I was told the same thing, that its viral and like you I don't feel sick except this dry cough. After this happening for so many years I realized whats happening is that despite the cold I still have post nasal drip, so a little bit of a runny nose but most of it dripping down the back of my throat.

I have a puffer and prescription nasal spray that seems to cut it down from a month to 2 weeks for me but barring a prescription I would try nasal spray or some sort of over the counter medication for runny noses to help dry it up.

EDIT: Also hydrasense like Brent.ff said makes a big difference.

jwslam
01-10-2024, 09:08 AM
I tried this... not horrible, sufferable.

I don't think I kept doing it long enough to reap the benefits. I've heard some old folk say you're supposed to do it 14 days in a row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHsqe8POVBo

phreezee
01-10-2024, 09:18 AM
Neilmed nasal rinse + Zinc +VitC chewables at Costco

Sentry
01-10-2024, 09:24 AM
I'm just getting over a lingering cough since getting a cold at the start of December (lasted a couple days). Will give Hydrasense a try next time I get this.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2024, 09:32 AM
Sinus rinse 2x per day or more of you are "removing visible material". That's the number 1 top for any cough or cold.

Zinc and vit C as secondary.

tonytiger55
01-10-2024, 09:54 AM
What are your Vitamin D levels?
Are you taking supplements of vitamin D and K?

suntan
01-10-2024, 09:59 AM
Doctor told me you can have a lingering cough for months.

Pacman
01-10-2024, 10:12 AM
My 5 year old has a lingering cough for months. Doctor suggests there are a few bad strains of flu going around that is causing this. He put him on a puffer which seems to have helped at night. He also suggested using Hydrasense nasal spray morning and night. I asked about NeilMed rinses but doctor said it's more cost effective, but more of a hassle as you really should be boiling the water, letting it cool down before you do the rinse vs Hydrasense which is sterile. If it was me, I would risk getting a brain eating amoeba using tap water but I'll stick to the sterile spray for my kids

suntan
01-10-2024, 10:17 AM
I have no brain so fuck you ameoba.

davidI
01-10-2024, 10:21 AM
I've become a big fan of GlyNAC

88CRX
01-10-2024, 10:30 AM
+1 with the NeilMed rinse

My 5 year old has a lingering cough for months. Doctor suggests there are a few bad strains of flu going around that is causing this. He put him on a puffer which seems to have helped at night. He also suggested using Hydrasense nasal spray morning and night. I asked about NeilMed rinses but doctor said it's more cost effective, but more of a hassle as you really should be boiling the water, letting it cool down before you do the rinse vs Hydrasense which is sterile. If it was me, I would risk getting a brain eating amoeba using tap water but I'll stick to the sterile spray for my kids

Boil a full kettle of water and then let it cool for an hour or so then you're set for a couple days.

tirebob
01-10-2024, 10:51 AM
Sinus rinsing is a game changer... I am also a fan of breathing in steam with a bit of eucalyptus oil when my sinuses and throat are feeling bothersome.

pheoxs
01-10-2024, 11:05 AM
I'd check the humidity in your house. If you don't have a humidifier it's probably super dry and aggravating your issues.

You can just buy a jug of distilled water and use that no?

phreezee
01-10-2024, 11:11 AM

The case of the amoeba, the woman used tap water and didn't use the salt.
I use reverse osmosis filtered water and the non-iodized salt packets.
Get a kettle that can do target temps and boil past 115F.
Warm water at 95-100F feels better.

riander5
01-10-2024, 11:16 AM
Take Vitamin C until you start to notice it in the bowels.

THis could be 5g, 10g, or 20g a day.

There is no upper limit!

ercchry
01-10-2024, 11:23 AM
Neilmed nasal rinse + Zinc +VitC chewables at Costco
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117555

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117556]

Don’t you need something like quercetin to actually absorb all that zinc?

suntan
01-10-2024, 11:34 AM
How are you guys doing nasal rinses without salt? I tried once, it hurt like hell.

Xtrema
01-10-2024, 11:49 AM

Vouching for D. 2000IU per day in winter months and 1000IU per day in summer months.

I got the coughs in early Dec but it lasted may be a week and that's it.

It's about building immune system to fight it. Everything else you try afterward are just reducing symptoms until your immune system is done with it.

pheoxs
01-10-2024, 11:56 AM
Costco has a sale on almost all their vitamins right now if anyone needs to stock up.

phreezee
01-10-2024, 12:06 PM
Don’t you need something like quercetin to actually absorb all that zinc?

Not sure about absorption, but I use it mainly like a lozenge to soothe the throat and reduce coughing.

Taking zinc may help prevent the rhinovirus (or cold virus) from multiplying and may stop the virus from lodging in the mucous membranes of the nose and throat.

max_boost
01-10-2024, 12:31 PM
i had it lingering for months a couple years back
covid maybe? who knows
glad it's gone tho
good luck bbb101

littledan
01-10-2024, 12:35 PM
its probably totally unrelated to the man made virus that circulated the entire globe, shut down society, and continues to circulate in multiple variants. its just a normal cough.

bigbadboss101
01-10-2024, 01:00 PM

At our home with have K2+D3, C, Zinc+Copper, probiotic. That is what I use and I probably can take more D during the winter season. The kids also take B12 and some other things. My MIL thinks we take way too many supplements.

- - - Updated - - -

Sinus rinsing is a game changer... I am also a fan of breathing in steam with a bit of eucalyptus oil when my sinuses and throat are feeling bothersome.

Will try the steam and essential oil!

bigbadboss101
01-10-2024, 01:03 PM
Thanks. My MIL has a puffer (she brought it with her from Hungary) she uses. I will buy a nasal rinse product.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2024, 01:58 PM
How are you guys doing nasal rinses without salt? I tried once, it hurt like hell. You need the salt. I mix my own.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2024, 02:13 PM
That's what the salt is for, you don't need to boil the water. The case of the amoeba, the woman used tap water and didn't use the salt.
I don't think this is correct at all. The little bit of salt in these rinses isn't killing anything. you absolutely SHOULD be using boiled water. I usually don't, but you for sure SHOULD.

Pacman
01-10-2024, 02:30 PM
I don't think this is correct at all. The little bit of salt in these rinses isn't killing anything. you absolutely SHOULD be using boiled water. I usually don't, but you for sure SHOULD.

I think to be safe, it's better to boil, or perhaps the distilled option. The thing for me is, it's a lot easier and faster to grab the bottle of Hydrasense and do a couple of big blasts in each nostril. I suspect it's not as effective as the squirt bottle as you are getting a lot more volume of liquid up there and draining out, but it's 8 seconds vs however long it takes for the other process.

phreezee
01-10-2024, 02:35 PM

You are right, I'll edit to boil to past 115F, to reduce cooling time wait.
I found this:

During their investigation, the CDC researchers tested salt water prepared according to the neti pot instructions to see whether N. fowleri could survive in the salinity (the organisms are naturally found only in fresh water, not in salt water).
The researchers found that the amoebas survived in the salt water longer than four hours — a far longer time than neti pot users would likely wait between dissolving the salt and using the pot, Yoder said.

suntan
01-10-2024, 02:54 PM
"Boil past 115F".

Um, you might already have some amoebas.

phreezee
01-10-2024, 02:59 PM
115F was based on the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/general.html#:~:text=likes%20warm%20water.-,It%20grows%20best%20at%20high%20temperatures%20up%20to%20115%C2%B0,higher%20than%2080%C2%B0F.

Naegleria fowleri is a heat-loving (thermophilic) organism, meaning it thrives in heat and likes warm water. It grows best at high temperatures up to 115°F (46°C) and can survive for short periods at even higher temperatures.

suntan
01-10-2024, 03:04 PM
Dude... strong reading comprehension...

Anyhow, you need to boil it at 100C for five minutes. 100C is 212F. You can keep the boiled water in the fridge for seven days.

ercchry
01-10-2024, 03:05 PM
Dude... strong reading comprehension...

Anyhow, you need to boil it at 100C for five minutes. 100C is 212F. You can keep the boiled water in the fridge for seven days.

Same fridge as I store my amoebas?

suntan
01-10-2024, 03:25 PM
They stay much fresher in the freezer.

ThePenIsMightier
01-10-2024, 03:25 PM
Mine lasted the full month of November and it was deep and bronchial. Leftover shitty home kits suggested it wasn't tHeCoViDz, but I kind of doubt it.
It really sucked, though.

Pacman
01-10-2024, 03:27 PM
This is why I buy the bottled stuff from Costco , on sale in packs of 3.

suntan
01-10-2024, 05:01 PM
Mine lasted the full month of November and it was deep and bronchial. Leftover shitty home kits suggested it wasn't tHeCoViDz, but I kind of doubt it.
It really sucked, though.

Trust the science.

tonytiger55
01-10-2024, 09:34 PM
Ya. Increase the Vitamin D if u can and take it with food that has some kind of fat.

I created a AI pic for funnies.

SKR
01-10-2024, 09:59 PM
Last time I had a cough that got worse at night it was called post nasal drip and I was given mometasone to use twice a day for two weeks and it cured it. I currently have a cough that won't go away and will do the same. A sinus rinse would probably help as well, but I've never had any luck with those since my lungs' first instinct seems to be to divert all water into them as fast as possible. I don't have any faith in vitamins.

phreezee
01-10-2024, 11:07 PM
For prescription remedies, T3 with codeine will prevent overnight coughing.
If you have a chest/wheezing cough, get a Symbicort inhaler (generic name: budesonide and formoterol).

schurchill39
01-11-2024, 09:39 AM
Last time I had a cough that got worse at night it was called post nasal drip and I was given mometasone to use twice a day for two weeks and it cured it. I currently have a cough that won't go away and will do the same. A sinus rinse would probably help as well, but I've never had any luck with those since my lungs' first instinct seems to be to divert all water into them as fast as possible. I don't have any faith in vitamins.

Thats the name of the spray I was given too! Between that and the puffer it definitely cuts down the duration of my cough.

blueToy
01-11-2024, 03:40 PM
Had neighbours come over for dinner in mid-October. Super nice husband and wife couple in their early 60s. She had a small cough throughout their stay. We all didnt think much about it, even though she said she had it for about three weeks because they are super active and have been daily walkers for years. She mentioned on her last few walks she was becoming short of breath, but again, we thought it may have been one of the strains of viruses going around. Long story short, it was fluid in her lungs, and a test on fluid turned out to have cancerous cells. Seems her body was ridding the cancerous fluid into her lungs and she is currently undergoing chemo. To me, if it lasts for a long time, get it checked out and maybe even get a second opinion. Being a older person myself, Ive been around long enough to have experienced and heard plenty of sad stories concerning our health system and doctors.

ThePenIsMightier
01-11-2024, 06:18 PM
Honibe brand cough drops work reasonably well.
https://honibe.com/pages/shop?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP6sBhDAARIsAPfK_wbsJdOLr_jFyLvshl-fco_PihtWUU2oYssMJStZUkPVLSrKfxTD0-caAjHjEALw_wcB

schurchill39
02-29-2024, 02:48 PM
Thats the name of the spray I was given too! Between that and the puffer it definitely cuts down the duration of my cough.

Turns out I'm a dirty liar. Feb 29th and I still have a cough from Christmas. Please ignore anything I've said in this thread - nothing works

SKR
02-29-2024, 03:18 PM
Turns out I'm a dirty liar. Feb 29th and I still have a cough from Christmas. Please ignore anything I've said in this thread - nothing works

RIP in peace.

Xtrema
02-29-2024, 04:24 PM

Great, I caught the same shit in Richmond BC also a month ago. Coughing never stops. Guess I'm taking that shit with me to Japan.

spike98
03-02-2024, 01:23 PM

Croup is going around and is mild in older kids and adults. My kid has been coughing since getting sick in December. One high dose of steroids 2 days ago, cough gone.

danno
03-02-2024, 01:25 PM
Mine started around Christmas, lasted till mid February. Had pneumonia to start and a sore throat that lasted 5-6weeks. I’m finally free.

AndyL
03-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Symbicort inhaler (generic name: budesonide and formoterol).

This is my solution too. Actually see improvement in a week of once a day...

The hippy solutions don't do a damn thing for me...

schurchill39
03-05-2024, 12:27 PM
Croup is going around and is mild in older kids and adults. My kid has been coughing since getting sick in December. One high dose of steroids 2 days ago, cough gone.

We've got a long history of croup in our house and dex also clears the kids up asap. This definitely isnt croup, its post nasal drip that doesn't seem to go away regardless of nasal sprays/rinses, puffers or steriods. I've been dealing with this type of shit since 2018 and usually its only about a month but its kicking my ass this time.

last two days have been slightly better so hopefully I am finally on the decline.

bigbadboss101
03-05-2024, 01:13 PM
Our kids are coughing again. My wife is as well but her's is likely something different. I had on two occasions long periods of coughing due to post nasal drip. Do not want to get it anytime soon.

danno
03-06-2024, 10:57 AM
my cold is back, coughing hadn't really gone away but it's back and getting worse. coughing up some green/yellow mucus. at least i don't have a sore throat yet, that's probably next. the post nasal drip is pretty frustrating. i thought i was free, took some advil
cold and sinus to deal with it.

ExtraSlow
03-06-2024, 11:01 AM
How long has it been since I have sung the praises of nasal rinses for clearing up post-nasal drip?

danno
03-06-2024, 12:16 PM
I did it previously during my last bout of the cold. Started it up again yesterday, steam showers are superior imo. Steam feels like it cleans out the lungs as well. I’ll be using all techniques to make this bout as short as possible. Wish I could get more sleep, last night was brutal

schurchill39
03-06-2024, 12:17 PM
How long has it been since I have sung the praises of nasal rinses for clearing up post-nasal drip?

We probably need a refersher. You could combine it with your typical trickle charger spiel to just really drive the point home.

riander5
03-06-2024, 12:20 PM
Take Vitamin C up until it upsets your stomach. Could be 10 grams, 20 grams, 30 grams a day. Back off dose that rumbled tummy. Do this until healthy.

SJW
03-06-2024, 12:21 PM

I have a navage. Is that what you use?

ExtraSlow
03-06-2024, 12:24 PM
We probably need a refersher. You could combine it with your typical trickle charger spiel to just really drive the point home.

I need to wrote it all down, and just copypasta it each time. Just a wall of text. Nose rinse, battery charger, cheap beer super-post.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a navage. Is that what you use?
Just the squeeze bottle for me. Homemade salt, and pulmicort on the advice of the surgeon who reamed out my sinuses.

SKR
03-06-2024, 09:53 PM
I tried a Navage for a while. Something about my lungs that says "in here, boys" as soon as water goes in my nostrils. It would probably work good for a normal person but my body's first instinct is to drown itself.

ExtraSlow
03-06-2024, 09:57 PM

bigbadboss101
03-09-2024, 08:00 PM
My kids have the coughs again. For them it is just that, no fever. My wife has the fever and cough. Been in bed mainly the last two days. No post nasal drip. Viral, need to wait it out. PITA. Nothing for me, finger crossed.

riander5
03-11-2024, 08:48 AM
Did you start giving everyone a shit load of vitamin C yet?!

jwslam
03-11-2024, 09:10 AM
Did you start giving everyone a shit load of vitamin C yet?!
Yes it's been on repeat all day

bigbadboss101
03-11-2024, 09:27 AM
K-A-D, C, zinc, Echinacea, Elderberry. Kids didn't feel good Sunday. Today they are better.

Xtrema
03-12-2024, 12:24 PM

I guess I should have finished the prescribed steroids. Cough lessen or stopped once I got back on it.

ExtraSlow
03-12-2024, 12:57 PM
Steroids are the answer

JRSC00LUDE
03-12-2024, 03:34 PM
Steroids are the answer

They're the wrong answer. This is the PROLONG coughing thread, not the coughing cessation thread. Someone really needs to clean this up.