PDA

View Full Version : WTF is this single use bylaw?? OMG the IDIOTS!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

tirebob
01-17-2024, 11:47 AM
https://www.calgary.ca/waste/residential/single-use-items.html

I was surprised yesterday to find out while waiting in line for a burger at the drive through that we now need to pay 15 cents for the fucking bag the food comes in and that you have to specifically request napkins etc... What a ridiculous bylaw!

My burger comes wrapped in paper, my fries are in a paper container, the cup is plastic yet the paper bag is over the line. How fucking stupid is this? Only thing I can see is it being beneficial to my health as this kind of crap annoys me so much I will just not bother going for take out, but if I owned a business affected by this I would be losing my shit.

This city council needs to fuck off and die.

darthVWader
01-17-2024, 11:52 AM
And the 15c a bag goes to the retailer. So now we pay for the bag that we are already paying for in the built in price of the items we buy.

gmc72
Yep, ran into this today. Stupid, but at least I didn't have to throw out those stupid paper straws!!

suntan
Stop letting white people vote.

benyl
01-17-2024, 11:53 AM

max_boost
01-17-2024, 11:53 AM
Oh yes sir lol117767

Local bylaw > federal courts

RawB8figure
01-17-2024, 11:55 AM
can you opt out of bag and give them a container to put the food in ?

SJW
01-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Stop letting white people vote.

As a white person I agree with this statement.

94boosted
01-17-2024, 11:57 AM
Thank Jyoti and the 9 other dipshits that voted in favor of this. Only Chabot, McLean, Wyness and Chu voted against this virtue signaling bullshit.

firebane
01-17-2024, 12:06 PM
While this bylaw is Calgary only it can affect those out of Calgary as well. Strathmore so far is doing it as well so I would assume corporations will just globally push it and most won't know and the only reason we do it because its local news.

pheoxs
01-17-2024, 12:08 PM
And the 15c a bag goes to the retailer. So now we pay for the bag that we are already paying for in the built in price of the items we buy.

Its remarkable because it actually encourages more waste. If that restaurant now puts your food into a paper bag that cost them less than one cent they can upcharge you 15 cents and blame it on the bylaw. Free profit and the city is the bad guy.

Idiotic law. If it was something where plastic cost money but paper was free it would make more logic sense but charging everyone only benefits the companies and does no good otherwise.

tirebob
01-17-2024, 12:09 PM
I think I am going to go buy a box of the most toxic plastic bags I can find to keep in my truck, ask the workers to put the food in them and then save them up every time and deposit them at city hall...

schurchill39
01-17-2024, 12:10 PM
While this bylaw is Calgary only it can affect those out of Calgary as well. Strathmore so far is doing it as well so I would assume corporations will just globally push it and most won't know and the only reason we do it because its local news.

Of course they do, the money goes directly to them.

As a white guy I also agree we shouldn't be able to vote. Thats how we ended up in this situation

suntan
01-17-2024, 12:12 PM
Its remarkable because it actually encourages more waste. If that restaurant now puts your food into a paper bag that cost them less than one cent they can upcharge you 15 cents and blame it on the bylaw. Free profit and the city is the bad guy.

Idiotic law. If it was something where plastic cost money but paper was free it would make more logic sense but charging everyone only benefits the companies and does no good otherwise.

If it makes you feel better, they cost way more than 1 cent. Probably around 15 cents actually.

When I worked at a convenience store back in 1991, the slurpee cups cost about 5 cents.

vengie
01-17-2024, 12:35 PM
I had this exact conversation with someone the other day.

All companies implementing are loving this.
A bag for example costs the company ~$0.01, they now charge $0.50 for the same bag.
There isn't a single item they sell that gross' 5000% margin.

An item that was historically a throw in liability on the balance sheet has now massively increased overall profit margin.

Stuff like this will continue to happen as the drive for greater and greater profits clouds the "common sense" perspective.

max_boost
01-17-2024, 12:43 PM
I would like you all to know
I am not participating in this
Just waiting for bylaw to come give me a firm talking now lol

rage2
01-17-2024, 12:50 PM
I would like you all to know
I am not participating in this
Just waiting for bylaw to come give me a firm talking now lol
Thanks for double bagging the hot and sour soup for me this weekend. No spills as expected. :thumbsup:

JfuckinC
01-17-2024, 12:50 PM
Co-op is winning for sure, i only ever need 2-3 bags but i have to buy 5 now haha

SJW
01-17-2024, 01:00 PM
Co-op is winning for sure, i only ever need 2-3 bags but i have to buy 5 now haha

Instead of a bag full of plastic bags I now have a cupboard full of reusable plastic bags. The environment is winning.

rage2
01-17-2024, 01:09 PM
Instead of a bag full of plastic bags I now have a cupboard full of reusable plastic bags. The environment is winning.
I've been buying plastic garbage bags for a while now, ever since we ran out of plastic grocery bags. They were never single use for me.

JfuckinC
01-17-2024, 01:24 PM
we use the coop ones for compost, but i don't compost that much cause it stinks.. so we have a lot of them lately.

SJW
01-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Can I hand over a bucket to the fast food drive thru and say "JUST PUT IT IN THE BUCKET". Everything? "YES EVERYTHING"

mr2mike
01-17-2024, 01:34 PM
SJW at the drive thru:

"Put the f*cking burger in the basket!"

riander5
01-17-2024, 01:36 PM
TireBob you're getting a little bit excited over this

tirebob
01-17-2024, 01:47 PM
TireBob you're getting a little bit excited over this

On its own it is kinda small sure, but on top of all the other shit this is a pressure valve point. Things are getting ridiculous and are nothing but virtue signalling and I am tired of it. Bobby gonna blow soon!!

https://media3.giphy.com/media/XUFPGrX5Zis6Y/giphy.gif

lilmira
01-17-2024, 01:50 PM
Finally tirebomb lol.

Can we turn the whole council into single use?

tirebob
01-17-2024, 01:51 PM
Finally tirebomb lol.

Can we turn the whole council into single use?

They would have a more positive effect on the world if we made them into fertilizer than they do as councillors...

D'z Nutz
01-17-2024, 01:52 PM
I've been buying plastic garbage bags for a while now, ever since we ran out of plastic grocery bags. They were never single use for me.

Fuck, it never occurred to me that I'm going to have to start buying garbage bags until now.

rage2
01-17-2024, 02:01 PM
Fuck, it never occurred to me that I'm going to have to start buying garbage bags until now.
One thing you should know, the biodegradable ones rip. Gotta get the real anti climate heavy duty plastic haha.

max_boost
01-17-2024, 02:02 PM
On its own it is kinda small sure, but on top of all the other shit this is a pressure valve point. Things are getting ridiculous and are nothing but virtue signalling and I am tired of it. Bobby gonna blow soon!!

https://media3.giphy.com/media/XUFPGrX5Zis6Y/giphy.gif

-35 was my limit
single use plastics is bobs haha

Swank
01-17-2024, 02:17 PM
I was going to make a joke about charging a tire recycling fee but then things went nuclear...

tirebob
01-17-2024, 02:20 PM
I was going to make a joke about charging a tire recycling fee but then things went nuclear...

No I went nuclear on that decades back... At least that is something that is utilized and the money does go to the province to fund the recycling of tires and is not just a cash grab. Really though I would be extraordinarily pleased if they dropped it and left tire recycling to private business.

bigboom
01-17-2024, 02:36 PM

Old Asian moms been hoarding plastic bags for the last 20 years...

Xtrema
01-17-2024, 03:06 PM

Keeping old oily paper bag will prepare you for the future when burning gas is too cost prohibitive.

88CRX
01-17-2024, 03:18 PM

Growing up we religious kept them and used them all. My parents still have a small stash that have been collected and stashed away.

Similar to the boss man we now buy small glad garbage bags for general usage around the house.

tirebob
01-17-2024, 03:46 PM

Growing up we religious kept them and used them all. My parents still have a small stash that have been collected and stashed away.

Similar to the boss man we now buy small glad garbage bags for general usage around the house.

Man, you should see how the Ukrainian ladies do it... My mom and Baba even in the 70's would use the brown paper grocery bags for garbage and then into the burning barrel when full. They would even use the empty milk carton opened up and stuff it full of garbage for the burning barrel because that waxed cardboard would light and burn hot for fire starting!

jwslam
01-17-2024, 04:36 PM
yup we eliminated "single use" plastic bags
so that you have to spend money on garbage bags

Hallowed_point
01-17-2024, 04:40 PM

Is this uncommon for white families? Growing up we always saved the plastic Safeway bags and reused them for garbage etc. This whole thing is just beyond stupid...even Spendshi wouldn't stoop this low.

Swank
01-17-2024, 05:04 PM
Is this uncommon for white families? Growing up we always saved the plastic Safeway bags and reused them for garbage etc. This whole thing is just beyond stupid...even Spendshi wouldn't stoop this low.

How small are your garbage cans?!?! I can fit a body in mine but haven't had to do so as much since I moved away from a junior high school.

tirebob
01-17-2024, 05:17 PM
How small are your garbage cans?!?! I can fit a body in mine but haven't had to do so as much since I moved away from a junior high school.

You should go to city hall and carry on with your work...

88CRX
01-17-2024, 05:22 PM
Man, you should see how the Ukrainian ladies do it... My mom and Baba even in the 70's would use the brown paper grocery bags for garbage and then into the burning barrel when full. They would even use the empty milk carton opened up and stuff it full of garbage for the burning barrel because that waxed cardboard would light and burn hot for fire starting!

LOL

We had a cabinet full of empty margarine/ice cream/yogurt contains too... my mom still sends leftovers home with us in reused 'single use' plastic containers.

Team_Mclaren
01-17-2024, 05:56 PM
I brought some plastic straws back from asia. Time to collect some plastic bags from oversea as well. Because, you know, I'm gonna limit their usage.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL

We had a cabinet full of empty margarine/ice cream/yogurt contains too... my mom still sends leftovers home with us in reused 'single use' plastic containers.

you mom sounds asian

finboy
01-17-2024, 08:21 PM
Write your councillor, I’m surprised Terry Wong signed on for this, can’t imagine Chinatown is happy to charge customers for 5+ bags, especially when the charge jumps to $2/bag in coming years (per max earlier in this thread)

ThePenIsMightier
01-17-2024, 08:26 PM
Can we do some sort of a group buy?
And by that I mean, about a dozen of us send the councillors a big stack of pictures of our grundels?

black300
01-17-2024, 08:45 PM

As a restaurant owner, I can tell you those bags do not cost one cent. The brown twisted handle bags are upwards of $0.50 each, we are losing $ on every bag we sell. It is pathetic, I used to buy the plastic ones and slip them through those are about $0.05 but the landlord won't allow that now because they are all on board as well. Customers are angry and yelling at the staff, which the staff has zero clue of what is actually going on.

shakalaka
01-17-2024, 11:11 PM
They've had this bylaw in Edmonton for about 3-4 months now and it doesn't get any fucking better. Some stores charge upwards of 30C to 50C for their bigger bags.

Every time you go through a drive through and order a burger, fries and a drink, they ask, 'do you want a bag with that'? No bitch, just stuff the several lose fries right in my fucking mouth at the window. And they also ask if you want a straw with your drink, again, no fuckface I am just going to snort the pop out of this cup. The cups are also paper, I am surprised they haven't started asking if you want a fucking cup for your pop or just want us to put the tap straight to your mouth.

Fucking changing to disgusting cardboard straws that become soft and gross after 2 minutes of use was bad enough, and now they are fucking doing this shit on top of it all. I wonder what empirical evidence is out there in terms of how beneficial it actually is for the environment to begin with. Probably fuck all.

ThePenIsMightier
01-17-2024, 11:57 PM
Guys, I think we're losing focus. There's a Tidal Emergency and if we all pitch in and do our part, we can stop the ocean from having tides.
We just have to want it. 8 billion insignificant humans can suck on enough paper straws to prevent tides. We can do this! Work together!

muse017
01-18-2024, 12:13 AM
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-7086/Paper-Shopping-Bags/Paper-Grocery-Bags-7-1-8-x-4-1-2-x-13-3-4-12-Kraft

just throw this out there, whoever saying retailers are making a killing off of those brown bags,..
it aint cheap and those prices doesn't include shipping

vengie
01-18-2024, 07:40 AM
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-7086/Paper-Shopping-Bags/Paper-Grocery-Bags-7-1-8-x-4-1-2-x-13-3-4-12-Kraft

just throw this out there, whoever saying retailers are making a killing off of those brown bags,..

Lol, thank you for proving my point on the profit margins on the bags.

By your link, a "2" bundle works out to $0.08 per bag before shipping.
They sell them for $0.50 or 400% margin.

More importantly U-Line is a distributor. You can get the bags way cheaper going direct.

pheoxs
01-18-2024, 08:20 AM
Guys, I think we're losing focus. There's a Tidal Emergency and if we all pitch in and do our part, we can stop the ocean from having tides.
We just have to want it. 8 billion insignificant humans can suck on enough paper straws to prevent tides. We can do this! Work together!

Hey kids were trying to stop the tides by eating all the tide pods but noooo the adults told them to stop.

suntan
01-18-2024, 08:22 AM
Dude you were off by 800%.

jwslam
01-18-2024, 08:48 AM

Can someone find me the source to those not-paper not-plastic fabric-ky ones? I have no idea what to even call that material...

tirebob
01-18-2024, 09:28 AM
They've had this bylaw in Edmonton for about 3-4 months now and it doesn't get any fucking better. Some stores charge upwards of 30C to 50C for their bigger bags.

Every time you go through a drive through and order a burger, fries and a drink, they ask, 'do you want a bag with that'? No bitch, just stuff the several lose fries right in my fucking mouth at the window. And they also ask if you want a straw with your drink, again, no fuckface I am just going to snort the pop out of this cup. The cups are also paper, I am surprised they haven't started asking if you want a fucking cup for your pop or just want us to put the tap straight to your mouth.

Fucking changing to disgusting cardboard straws that become soft and gross after 2 minutes of use was bad enough, and now they are fucking doing this shit on top of it all. I wonder what empirical evidence is out there in terms of how beneficial it actually is for the environment to begin with. Probably fuck all.

Sounds like a lawyer needs to challenge this shit hmmmmmm haha!

suntan
01-18-2024, 09:30 AM
I think it's challengeable on an accessibility basis.

bjstare
01-18-2024, 10:08 AM
Can someone find me the source to those not-paper not-plastic fabric-ky ones? I have no idea what to even call that material...

Still plastic.

suntan
01-18-2024, 10:09 AM
Best part is they have no recycle code so into the garbage they go.

bjstare
01-18-2024, 10:12 AM
Best part is they have no recycle code so into the garbage they go.

I'm pretty indiscriminate with what I put in my blue bin. Most things that aren't compost go in there. The city just puts it all in shipping containers anyways.

suntan
01-18-2024, 10:13 AM
My PILs got in trouble for putting styrofoam in their blue bin.

KLCC
01-18-2024, 10:23 AM

You'll just have to be discreet about it, I threw cooking oil/5w-30 in there all the time. Recycle it back to the earth, where it came from

Xtrema
01-18-2024, 10:29 AM

They have camera in trucks to monitor what get chucked? And the driver actually give a shit?

suntan
01-18-2024, 10:32 AM
They have camera in trucks to monitor what get chucked? And the driver actually give a shit?

I guess they know because the trucks squish everything, and the styrofoam breaks apart and spews everywhere.

pheoxs
01-18-2024, 11:09 AM
I'm still surprised the city has no facilities to take styrofoam. I would've thought there would be some system to grind it up and use it as filler for some shit or insulation. Even Edmonton has a program in place.

ExtraSlow
01-18-2024, 11:15 AM
We need a "waste-to-energy" facility.

suntan
01-18-2024, 11:18 AM
Only if it accepts politicians and bureaucrats.

firebane
01-18-2024, 11:21 AM

No they had or have City employees who drive around checking bins to ensure people are being compliant to the rules.

From 2019 but I doubt anything has changed https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-expands-waste-bin-spot-check-program-targets-205000-homes

suntan
01-18-2024, 11:22 AM
Imagine having "inspected citizen's waste bins for bylaw compliance" on your resume.

Tik-Tok
01-18-2024, 11:29 AM
Imagine having "inspected citizen's waste bins for bylaw compliance" on your resume.

It's not like they would need to put that on a resume. They aren't leaving that job until they retire.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-18-2024, 11:39 AM
We need a "waste-to-energy" facility.

This is correct, but the feds would demand it be net-zero (but with no credit given for reducing waste disposal emissions, because Alberta).

Only if it accepts politicians and bureaucrats.

This, too, is correct.

88CRX
01-18-2024, 11:45 AM
I'm still surprised the city has no facilities to take styrofoam. I would've thought there would be some system to grind it up and use it as filler for some shit or insulation. Even Edmonton has a program in place.

Currently trying to ditch a bunch of styrofoam from a new big screen tv. Such a pain in the ass to ration this shit over the course of a couple months.

firebane
01-18-2024, 11:55 AM
Currently trying to ditch a bunch of styrofoam from a new big screen tv. Such a pain in the ass to ration this shit over the course of a couple months.

You know there are community dump stations right?

88CRX
01-18-2024, 11:56 AM
You know there are community dump stations right?

for sytrofoam?

suntan
01-18-2024, 11:58 AM
Um, sure.

firebane
01-18-2024, 11:59 AM
for sytrofoam?

I'm not saying you should.. but you could easily get rid of it at those places lol.

88CRX
01-18-2024, 12:14 PM
Just toss it on the ground, at the community recycling bins... beside the worn out casting couch and old shitty tires?

darthVWader
01-18-2024, 02:07 PM
CoC website says to put it in your black bin. Here in Cochrane the Towns Eco Centre takes it.

gmc72
01-18-2024, 02:18 PM
tirebob, wait until you go to KFC. They ask you if you want a bag, charge you for it, but don't charge you for the separate smaller bag that the fries come in. And even though they said that I needed to ask for a straw and napkins, I was given both freely.

HiSpec
01-18-2024, 02:36 PM
I just ordered Japanese take out. They give 15% for take out. A discount of $9. Then they charged me $4 for 4 of their fancy fabric take out bags. Total discount = $5.

civic_stylez
01-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Gotta love all the "eco friendly" initiatives, less paper, plastic etc... then, I go open my mailbox and theres flyers galore stuffed in there (despite my "no junk mail" sticker). Maybe start with that waste first as 90% of it goes into the bin. Between apps and websites, do we really need all that shit? Except my McDonalds coupons... I want those.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2024, 06:22 PM
Maybe I am just numb to it, but the change to paper strays, compostable containers and lids, and bamboo cutlery just doesn't bother me.

This x 1000

I literally just re-used plastic bags for garbage bags. Had my bag of bags... and it was great.

Now I buy bags (which are 100% more plastic per bag), and throw out the paper ones they give me at the store because they rip and break.

It has effectively increased the amount of plastic waste I produce.

rage2
01-18-2024, 06:51 PM

No they had or have City employees who drive around checking bins to ensure people are being compliant to the rules.

From 2019 but I doubt anything has changed https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-expands-waste-bin-spot-check-program-targets-205000-homes
I’ve been busted before.

Fuck this shit. Seriously. So I bought a new TV this week. All the packaging is labeled recyclable. Even the styrofoam pieces:

Today was recycling day. They didn’t empty the bin and gave me a warning:

Called 311, they don’t care. No styrofoam regardless if it’s actually recyclable. Fuck sake with garbage every 2 weeks, I’m a week away from next pickup with garbage full. Green bin is of course 10% full again, if even before today’s pickup. We had a birthday party and a neighbors party this week, was already stacking shit in my garage and looks like the pile is just growing.

Fuck this city.

From buying tv of course. Every new tv day I get screwed for weeks on garbage rotation. I’ve given up. At least I’m close to the dump. $25 or whatever and be done with this shit.

Now I buy bags (which are 100% more plastic per bag), and throw out the paper ones they give me at the store because they rip and break.

I also have a rant thread for this.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/417881-The-terrorists-have-won

schocker
01-18-2024, 07:00 PM
Did mcdonalds app for pickup, checkout and then when you say pickup inside to go since I am cheap, then it says ooop checkout again with the bag. mutha fucka :guns:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-18-2024, 07:22 PM
Yeah when I bought my TV in August I found a friend with a dumpster and chucked all that shit in there.

Misterman
01-18-2024, 08:12 PM
You suckers in Calgary don't have Eco-Stations or what?

Xtrema
01-18-2024, 08:16 PM

max_boost
01-18-2024, 08:39 PM
Since skip is adding the 25c charge anyway
I’ll pack it in plastic to put in fabric lol

Darell_n
01-18-2024, 08:39 PM
Cochrane recycles styrofoam. Just bring it this way, toss it in the ditch in Bearspaw. Close enough.

littledan
01-18-2024, 09:41 PM
I’ve been busted before.

From buying tv of course. Every new tv day I get screwed for weeks on garbage rotation. I’ve given up. At least I’m close to the dump. $25 or whatever and be done with this shit.

I also have a rant thread for this.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/417881-The-terrorists-have-won

What the fuck. What if it is your neighbour chucking shit into your bins. Its not like they are locked.

Here in Edmonton they actually suggest to put your overflow garbage that doesnt fit into your bin into your neighbours bin. CoE with their infinite wisdoms. Fuck those guys.

firebane
01-18-2024, 10:19 PM
What the fuck. What if it is your neighbour chucking shit into your bins. Its not like they are locked.

Here in Edmonton they actually suggest to put your overflow garbage that doesnt fit into your bin into your neighbours bin. CoE with their infinite wisdoms. Fuck those guys.

Put your bins away so people can't use them?

Swank
01-19-2024, 07:20 AM
So are condoms no longer available due to single use bylaw?

firebane
01-19-2024, 07:27 AM
So are condoms no longer available due to single use bylaw?

Wash and re-use. Don't people turn them inside out like dirty underwear?

Swank
01-19-2024, 07:28 AM
Wash and re-use. Don't people turn them inside out like dirty underwear?

If they do I would no longer call them people.

kenny
01-19-2024, 01:20 PM
LOL

you mom sounds asian

Only Asian if this was all stored in the dishwasher.

dirtsniffer
01-19-2024, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty indiscriminate with what I put in my blue bin. Most things that aren't compost go in there. The city just puts it all in shipping containers anyways.

Qft. In my eyes almost everything that isn't organic is recyclable.

88CRX
01-19-2024, 01:30 PM
Only Asian if this was all stored in the dishwasher.

We used the dishwasher for washing dishes... but not for washing anything plastic lol

max_boost
01-19-2024, 01:40 PM
Can hold 3-4 lunch boxes easily and thicker clear plastic
Do these count as single use plastics lol

rage2
01-19-2024, 02:24 PM
Can hold 3-4 lunch boxes easily and thicker clear plastic
Do these count as single use plastics lol
Definitely not single use. I’d use it as a condom after eating.

bjstare
01-19-2024, 02:44 PM
They say he's "hung like a takeout bag".

tirebob
01-19-2024, 02:49 PM
They say he's "hung like a takeout bag".

I read that as "TacoBag"

Masked Bandit
01-19-2024, 03:16 PM
So the Dairy Queen by my house still uses plastic spoons but on the back of them they're stamped "not single use". They're literally the same red plastic spoons DQ has been using for decades...is that how we get around all this bullshit?

suntan
01-19-2024, 03:34 PM
If the bag holds my food, that's one use. And then occupying space in the recycle bin. That's another use.

Multiuse.