PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Tacos

SJW
01-30-2024, 01:57 PM
Ok so i've been to pretty much every taco place but this place you simply must try the birria tacos.

https://www.instagram.com/elchefecalgary/

I'm hopelessly addicted. Send help.

msommers
01-30-2024, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the tip, will have to try it out.

In that area, Tacos Mexico and Fresh-adilla are both really good Mexican. Pathways Momos is very good, been meaning to try Takoyami (Japanese balls of goodness). Oh and Fresh Taste Corner is legit northern Chinese food (was brought by Chinese, plus it's super fobby in there so I was sold).

pheoxs
01-30-2024, 02:07 PM
I didn't mind Toro Bravo on the first floor of Bow valley square but looking now it seems they've closed.

killramos
01-30-2024, 02:10 PM
I feel like I was just there a couple weeks back? Has it closed recently?

pheoxs
01-30-2024, 02:11 PM
No clue, went there before Christmas but their site now says they've closed.

Home - Toro Bravo Taqueria (https://torobravo.ca/)

killramos
01-30-2024, 02:15 PM
That’s a shame.

ercchry
01-30-2024, 02:40 PM
Use to eat tacos Mexico when I was closer to the NE location, but the McLeod one isn’t as good. Default now is sabores since it’s close.

suntan
01-30-2024, 02:44 PM
Apparently the two Tacos Mexicos aren't related to each other.

ExtraSlow
01-30-2024, 02:58 PM
Ok so i've been to pretty much every taco place but this place you simply must try the birria tacos.

Says it's Halal Certified, do they not serve any of the pork tacos? Isn't like half of mexican food pork? eye-narrowing continues.

SJW
01-30-2024, 02:59 PM
says it's halal certified, do they not serve any of the pork tacos? Isn't like half of mexican food pork? Eye-narrowing continues.

i said you must try the birria tacos. Gawwwwd!!!!

ExtraSlow
01-30-2024, 03:05 PM
It's not like I'm not going to go eat there, settle down, but if these fuckers look like some damned gazan noncombatants, well, nothing actually. Fuck I love tacos. I actually love tacos more than I hate everything, and that's quite a bit.
Actually have two customers up that way, better get on the horn....

SJW
01-30-2024, 03:09 PM
It's not like I'm not going to go eat there, settle down, but if these fuckers look like some damned gazan noncombatants, well, nothing actually. Fuck I love tacos. I actually love tacos more than I hate everything, and that's quite a bit.
Actually have two customers up that way, better get on the horn....

It's all Mexicans working there.

dirtsniffer
01-30-2024, 03:24 PM
I have no room in my life for $6 tacos I can eat 17 of.

Cash Money Hoes
01-30-2024, 03:25 PM
I have yet to have a meal at a mexican place and walk away not underwhelmed. It is definitely one of the shittier cuisines. Right down in the basement with Filipino and Cuban.

ExtraSlow
01-30-2024, 03:31 PM
I have yet to have a meal at a mexican place and walk away not underwhelmed. It is definitely one of the shittier cuisines. Right down in the basement with Filipino and Cuban.

I don't know about the cuisine, but I like the food.

suntan
01-30-2024, 03:36 PM

For the most part Mexican food in Calgary was dogshit.

flipstah
01-30-2024, 03:49 PM

Whoa whoa whoa

Do not put Filipino food with stale bread sandwiches

CompletelyNumb
01-30-2024, 07:21 PM
I've been to the Philippines and to Mexico and both had mind blowingly good food.

Calgary does neither justice.

Tacos Mexicos is the closest you get to the street tacos in Mexico, but it's not "close".

Will definitely check this new place out, thanks for the tip SJW

Disoblige
01-31-2024, 10:52 AM
I wanted to eat there last time I was in the area but I was an hour too early and didn't wanna wait. Next time, next time...

suntan
01-31-2024, 10:53 AM
I've been to the Philippines and to Mexico and both had mind blowingly good food.

Calgary does neither justice.

Tacos Mexicos is the closest you get to the street tacos in Mexico, but it's not "close".

Will definitely check this new place out, thanks for the tip SJW

We're getting there for Mexican food.

But yeah I can still get way better in LA from a place five minutes away from my parent's house.

Tik-Tok
01-31-2024, 11:16 AM
I have yet to have a meal at a mexican place and walk away not underwhelmed.

Fucking preach. I do enjoy good, cheap mexican food, but Calgary has neither. It's always mediocre here and shockingly expensive for what it is.

On topic though, did this place move or something? Their own Google Maps photo makes it look like it's downtown but it's in the industrial NE.

suntan
01-31-2024, 11:48 AM
Cheap meat is not a thing in Canada.

SJW
01-31-2024, 11:52 AM
Cheap meat is not a thing in Canada.

My raccoon meat comes free right to my yard.

suntan
01-31-2024, 11:52 AM
My raccoon meat comes free right to my yard.

That's for Chinese food you racist.

OTown
02-07-2024, 12:25 AM
Gotta give a shout out to Tequila & Tacos in Airdrie - Their Pastor tacos are pretty damn goood, and the rest of their stuff is awesome. Staff is mostly spanish too. Very traditional, you wont find old el paso there.

msommers
02-07-2024, 12:18 PM
There are non-whities in Airdrie?

#themoreyouknow

dirtsniffer
02-07-2024, 03:13 PM
All the white, with none of the privilege.

mr2mike
02-08-2024, 01:05 PM

Yep.
Native Tounges is overpriced garbage, no spice, low meat content. Hard pass whenever someone recommends that place.

max_boost
02-08-2024, 03:34 PM
how about anejos
i thought that place was good

killramos
02-08-2024, 04:06 PM
Yep.
Native Tounges is overpriced garbage, no spice, low meat content. Hard pass whenever someone recommends that place.

DT location has gone downhill, the new one is Britannia is much better

Euro_Trash
02-09-2024, 01:50 PM

Stopped and grabbed some on the way home last night - Birria were fantastic, but we didn't enjoy the Carnitas

XylathaneGTR
02-09-2024, 03:12 PM
how about anejos

They're meh - so-so. Nothing to write home about. Basic, somewhat on the blander-side, but decent meat proportion, okay-ish value but gotta pay extra for cheese (One of their daily specials is half-price tacos, so that's really the only time worth going).

ercchry
02-09-2024, 03:24 PM
They're meh - so-so. Nothing to write home about. Basic, somewhat on the blander-side, but decent meat proportion, okay-ish value but gotta pay extra for cheese (One of their daily specials is half-price tacos, so that's really the only time worth going).

Their sister restaurant Blanco is one of the better happy hours for tacos and margaritas

pheoxs
02-09-2024, 03:36 PM
Their sister restaurant Blanco is one of the better happy hours for tacos and margaritas

Half price tequila flights is the best

Euro_Trash
02-09-2024, 03:43 PM
how about anejos

Queso Fundido is so good

ExtraSlow
02-09-2024, 03:55 PM
Pics of sister