PDA

View Full Version : Question about induction

403Gemini
04-05-2004, 03:46 PM
whats the diff between cold air induction systems and short ram induction systems? which is better? are they 2 completely diff things and i can install both or only one?

yes im a newb with this type of shit so no flamming plz just advice and help :D thx in advance!

davidI
04-05-2004, 05:05 PM
You can only install one. Cold air induction is piping the airfilter to a location near the front of the car or in a fender well or somewhere that the filter can grab cold air instead of hot engine air. From what I've read a short ram is just a short pipe with a filter so the air has less distance to travel. Either way I think the general concensus is that they aren't really worth it unless you're planning on continuing with other mods (forced induction).

403Gemini
04-05-2004, 10:55 PM
how much would a total short ram/cold air cost with forced induction and full exhaust?

(approx price)

googe
04-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
how much would a total short ram/cold air cost with forced induction and full exhaust?

(approx price)

intake kits are a couple hundred bucks. forced induction is a turbocharger or supercharger, so its pretty hard to say what it would cost, because there is such a huge variety of applications.

LUDELVR
04-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by davidI
You can only install one. Cold air induction is piping the airfilter to a location near the front of the car or in a fender well or somewhere that the filter can grab cold air instead of hot engine air. From what I've read a short ram is just a short pipe with a filter so the air has less distance to travel. Either way I think the general concensus is that they aren't really worth it unless you're planning on continuing with other mods (forced induction).

There actually is (was) a guy on the net that made a dual intake. I can't find the linnk, but essentially, it was a cold air intake and a short ram intake. He used a butterfly door activated off of a vaccum source so that when he was above a certain rpm the door would switch the track of oncoming air. The theory was that he would maximize the effeciency of both styles of air intakes. In the end it was concluded that there was no justifiable gain in using this setup other than to say taht you have it! haha.

As for the gains of a cold air intake, b18c on this forum did some tests a long while back (before a lot of you little shits even had cars! hahaha) and the gains were neglgable. So I would save money and stick with just a short ram. Cold air intakes aren't that much better but if you want to justify getting one, pick up a copy of import tuner!:thumbsdow :rofl:

EDIT: Oh yah, and as for the reasoning behind the CAI, The longer distance is there to provide velocity for the air plus denser, colder air particles. The short ram picks up the air from the engine bay.

One last thing, how can it not be worth it if you're not going F/I? If you're going F/I, you don't need to buy either of these!:dunno:

calgarys13
04-06-2004, 07:08 PM
u can't just scrounge turbo parts from there u need to do research into your engine to properly select the best turbine for your car...search for compressor maps and what not if you actually going to be doing a junkyard turbo stuff i suggest you read.........alot... it seems easy but to make it work well and properly u need to know alotta stuff..good luck though!:thumbsup:

three.eighteen.
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
ludelvr knows all about the home-made turbo setups...if youre frugal/resourceful enough you can have turbo power for pretty cheap