PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Lube Creekside

R!zz0
02-01-2024, 06:02 PM
I went to Jiffy Lube on Creekside on Jan 29th, 2024, and they did do an oil change and checked my air filter and topped off my coolant because it was low according to their tech. Next day I'm driving my son to his soccer practice in Bearspaw and I notice that my check engine light is on. Once we get to Bearspaw Lifestyle Centre, I opened my hood and saw that my air intake tube was completely disconnected from the air filter box. I didn't have any tools with me so I pushed it in as much as I could. The check engine light remained on and when i got home, i tightened the clamp on the air intake tube. I even disconnected the negative battery cable to turn off the check engine light. Next day i was dropping my kids to school and the check engine light came on again. I took my van back to Jiffy Lube and they tightened the air intake tube (according to their tech it was loose) They got their Innova scanner and turned off the check engine light and said, "come back if you see the check engine light on again"

In the afternoon while on the road picking up my kids from school, the light comes back on. I took the van again at Jiffy Lube and they again turned off the light with their scanner. This morning (Feb 2, 2024) on the road dropping my kids off at school, the engine light comes on again. Took it back to Jiffy Lube and their supervisor tells me that that the code is P0330 which is a knock sensor 2 circuit (bank 2)

He called his manager and told him about the issue and his manager told him to tell me that bank 2 is at the bottom of the air filter box and Jiffy Lube has nothing to do with that. Before I took my van to Jiffy Lube, I had no check engine light on.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-01-2024, 06:09 PM
Cool story bro.

jabjab
02-01-2024, 06:51 PM
Probably nothing you can do. Don't go to jiffy lube for anything is the lesson learned here.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2024, 07:19 PM
What code was it?

arcticcat522
02-01-2024, 08:29 PM
On a similar note.....went to whatever quick lube place is beside the big car wash by the canada post building near the south end of the airport. Guy was friendly, chatting with me while the tech under did what he does. Asks me to start the truck and vev to 1500rpm for a bit...oil pressure guage was not showing any, low oil light flashes. He tells me that's good.....then checks the dip stick and proceeds to add more oil....the guy under didn't put the oil pan plug and the oil he thought was in the engine, went right out....good thing it's a work truck, I suppose

R!zz0
02-01-2024, 10:49 PM
It was their technician that didn't put the air intake tube in the air filter box and he even apologized for his mistake. Now the van needs repair and I shouldn't be the one paying out of my pocket for their mistake.

On a side note: I've taken my cars there few times and I've never had any issues, but this mistake was caused by their tech and the company should be liable for their mistakes. There was nothing wrong with my car before they touched it.

bjstare
02-02-2024, 12:42 AM
There’s never a strong justification to take a vehicle to a quick lube shop.

ThePenIsMightier
02-02-2024, 07:13 AM

This. I worked at one a long time ago and although I don't think I fucked anything up, we definitely fucked up several cars over the not many months I was there.

Swank
02-02-2024, 08:10 AM
This morning (Feb 2, 2024) on the road dropping my kids off at school...

Yesterday was Feb 1st.

...I shouldn't be the one paying out of my pocket for their mistake.

You shouldn't, but you will have to.

SKR
02-02-2024, 09:10 AM
What does a knock sensor have to do with the air intake?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-02-2024, 09:15 AM
What does a knock sensor have to do with the air intake?

This is what I was getting at. Pretty low chances popping the top of your intake box off and changing the filter killed a knock sensor, regardless whether the intake tube was left loose. Sounds like they fixed their fuck up and sent you on your way.

ExtraSlow
02-02-2024, 09:24 AM
If your shitbox breaks after an oil change, it doesn't mean the oil change broke your shitbox.

heavyD
02-02-2024, 09:27 AM
One of my son's received a 1997 Cavalier beater from his girlfriend's grandma that hadn't driven it for a long time and my wife had a coupon for a lube shop in Crowfoot. I came with my boy to make sure they didn't try and upsell him on anything and if anyone doesn't know the old iron duke engine had a filler tube cap that also doubled as the dipstick. One guy came to the window showing us the oil level and I had to explain to him that he was showing us the automatic transmission fluid level. That's the level of experience and knowledge you can expect at a lot of these places.

ExtraSlow
02-02-2024, 10:16 AM
Dealership lube techs are similar. If you like your car, change your own oil.

Sugarphreak
02-02-2024, 10:48 AM

Porsche quoted me 655$ for an oil change recently... I feel like that is a semi-strong reason, haha

Also dealerships are hit and miss anyway.

There is a Jiffy Lube near me and the guys that work there are like oil guru's... I've never met workers that knew so much about oil as the people at this place

bjstare
02-02-2024, 12:13 PM
Porsche quoted me 655$ for an oil change recently... I feel like that is a semi-strong reason, haha

There is a Jiffy Lube near me and the guys that work there are like oil guru's... I've never met workers that knew so much about oil as the people at this place

That's a strong reason to take it to a reputable Porsche indy, not a jiffy lube staffed with developmentally delayed schmucks.

ExtraSlow
02-02-2024, 01:03 PM
Somewhat related note, doesn't a beyonder own a couple quick-lube franchises?

Sugarphreak
02-02-2024, 02:16 PM
That's a strong reason to take it to a reputable Porsche indy, not a jiffy lube staffed with developmentally delayed schmucks.

There isn't any real evidence that shows that the dealership tech is somehow better than a Jiffy Lube tech

I've had such bad experiences with tech's at dealerships, my faith is low

Independent would be better I think, might try that

G-ZUS
02-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Isnt this place owned by a beyonder

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-02-2024, 02:27 PM
Somewhat related note, doesn't a beyonder own a couple quick-lube franchises?

Yeah, this specific location is a beyonder owned one.

TomcoPDR
02-02-2024, 02:28 PM
Isnt this place owned by a beyonder

I doubt he's the one that dealt with the plug though. Find the tech's dad

Swank
02-02-2024, 03:18 PM
Yeah, this specific location is a beyonder owned one.

It's in the parking lot of his Chinese restaurant. Oil is oil.

max_boost
02-02-2024, 04:04 PM

Welcome to p car club
Just pay the bill lol

bjstare
02-02-2024, 04:13 PM
There isn't any real evidence that shows that the dealership tech is somehow better than a Jiffy Lube tech

Yeah dealerships are rarely the right answer as well haha. Good Indy is almost always the right answer.

JohnnyHockey13
02-02-2024, 04:26 PM
Do we have a thread on best indie shops?

I found one recently...Chanda Auto by Chinook Mall.

ganesh
02-02-2024, 04:27 PM

I am assuming that is for the First Macan GTS service? or Just for a Oil change?
I did the first service on mine couple of weeks ago and it was $ 425.
Maybe yours is Price adjusted for Vancouver :)

Back to the Jiffy Lube on Creek Side , when I had the winter beater I have taken mine there for Oil changes there and I had no issues.
They were nice to deal with IMO

Team_Mclaren
02-02-2024, 05:09 PM

LOL indy hires the same noob tech to do your oil changes...

bjstare
02-02-2024, 05:13 PM
LOL indy hires the same noob tech to do your oil changes...

I think the differentiator is the indy has the most to lose if they do a bad job. Dealers and jiffy lubes will always be lined up with customers who don't know/care about their cars, are just there for warranty work, etc.

An indy has to rely much more on reputation and good CX for future work than either of the other two, and therefore is more likely to deliver work they can stand behind or remediate mistakes made by the noob instead of telling the customer to kick rocks. :dunno:

Flexray
02-02-2024, 09:55 PM
I went to Jiffy Lube on Creekside on Jan 29th, 2024, and they did do an oil change and checked my air filter and topped off my coolant because it was low according to their tech. Next day I'm driving my son to his soccer practice in Bearspaw and I notice that my check engine light is on. Once we get to Bearspaw Lifestyle Centre, I opened my hood and saw that my air intake tube was completely disconnected from the air filter box. I didn't have any tools with me so I pushed it in as much as I could. The check engine light remained on and when i got home, i tightened the clamp on the air intake tube. I even disconnected the negative battery cable to turn off the check engine light. Next day i was dropping my kids to school and the check engine light came on again. I took my van back to Jiffy Lube and they tightened the air intake tube (according to their tech it was loose) They got their Innova scanner and turned off the check engine light and said, "come back if you see the check engine light on again"

In the afternoon while on the road picking up my kids from school, the light comes back on. I took the van again at Jiffy Lube and they again turned off the light with their scanner. This morning (Feb 2, 2024) on the road dropping my kids off at school, the engine light comes on again. Took it back to Jiffy Lube and their supervisor tells me that that the code is P0330 which is a knock sensor 2 circuit (bank 2)

He called his manager and told him about the issue and his manager told him to tell me that bank 2 is at the bottom of the air filter box and Jiffy Lube has nothing to do with that. Before I took my van to Jiffy Lube, I had no check engine light on.

It could be a coincidence that you now have this fault, but it also might not. P0330 doesn't mean you need a knock sensor, it means the engine module doesn't like the voltage that it sees on the signal line. The problem could be the knock sensor itself or an open or short in the signal line that runs from the sensor to the engine module. On mini vans, bank 2 is usually the side of the engine that you see when you pop the hood. Knock sensors are usually bolted to the side of the engine block or in the valley underneath the intake manifold. But the wiring harness that connects them can run anywhere under the hood. The lube tech could have damaged a wiring harness when he was ham fisting your air filter box.
I would take it to a reputable shop, tell them what happened. Get it diagnosed and repaired properly. If it turns out that the lube shop did damage something. Take the bill back to the lube shop and see if they will reimburse you. I recommend taking it to a shop called My Garage in Airdrie.

I'm usually all over shitting on dealerships. But this time I will take their side. Quick lube shops hire a bunch of uneducated teenagers. Lead by an uneducated adult. It's like the blind leading the blind.
Dealerships hire the same uneducated teenagers, but are placed in the shop with manufacturer certified master technicians and Journeyman technicians working in the bays around them. They sorta get watched by someone who should know what they are doing. If something does get f'ed up, the chances of it being fixed are a lot higher than just repeatedly clearing trouble codes.

firebane
02-02-2024, 10:09 PM
I would take it to a reputable shop, tell them what happened. Get it diagnosed and repaired properly. If it turns out that the lube shop did damage something. Take the bill back to the lube shop and see if they will reimburse you. I recommend taking it to a shop called My Garage in Airdrie.

And there lies the issue... not only did the OP have his fingers in there now a 2nd shop will. So how do you know who did what? There is zero evidence it falls back on the lube shop and the best course of action is have a shop fix it and chalk it up to an expensive lesson and never go back to a lube shop... unless its for other lube jobs.

ExtraSlow
02-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Do we actually think that the disconnection of the air intake caused the knock sensor error?

I don't.

firebane
02-03-2024, 09:26 AM
Do we actually think that the disconnection of the air intake caused the knock sensor error?

I don't.

Unless some idiot really did something stupid and rip a wire or unplugged it then no.

JordanLotoski
02-03-2024, 09:32 AM
I have known the owner of this Jiffy Lube for 15+ years, He runs a good business and if and when at fault has no issue fixing the problem to makes his customers happy. I was just there with my Bronco and service was great.

ExtraSlow
02-03-2024, 09:36 AM
If your shitbox breaks after an oil change, it doesn't mean the oil change broke your shitbox.

This.

88CRX
02-03-2024, 11:18 AM
There’s a couple beyonder owned shops that I use for all my servicing now.

Steve at VS One and Jackie at Ballance Auto are both A++

bjstare
02-03-2024, 12:06 PM
For the last >7 years, I've gone pretty far out of my way to take my japanese cars to Jackie.

Sugarphreak
02-03-2024, 02:27 PM
I am assuming that is for the First Macan GTS service? or Just for a Oil change?
I did the first service on mine couple of weeks ago and it was $ 425.
Maybe yours is Price adjusted for Vancouver :)

Back to the Jiffy Lube on Creek Side , when I had the winter beater I have taken mine there for Oil changes there and I had no issues.
They were nice to deal with IMO

The quotes I got were 655$ for the first year service, 1800$ for the second year, and 2600$ for the third.

When I tried to figure out wtf was included I got a speech about how they wear white gloves :rofl:

heavyD
02-05-2024, 01:28 PM
I'm usually all over shitting on dealerships. But this time I will take their side. Quick lube shops hire a bunch of uneducated teenagers. Lead by an uneducated adult. It's like the blind leading the blind. Dealerships hire the same uneducated teenagers, but are placed in the shop with manufacturer certified master technicians and Journeyman technicians working in the bays around them. They sorta get watched by someone who should know what they are doing. If something does get f'ed up, the chances of it being fixed are a lot higher than just repeatedly clearing trouble codes.

And the thing about dealerships is that they are doing oil changes on the same vehicles over and over so they have their procedures down and don't have to do any guesswork compared to shops that work on every flavor of vehicle out there.