PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this "Recall Calgary's Mayor Petition"?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tirebob
02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
https://newsroom.calgary.ca/city-of-calgary-receives-notice-of-recall-petition/

I didn't even know this was possible, but apparently it is legit. I wish I was eligible to sign! So tired of Gondek and her lunacy. Fuck wish we could turf most of the councillors at the same time.

Edit - Holy fuck it needs like over 500k signatures to go ahead... That is crazy!

https://www.calgary.ca/election/petitions-recalls/active-recall-petitions.html

bjstare
02-05-2024, 05:34 PM
I did see this. There's no way it'll pass, but it looks like the guy who put it forward has made his peace with that. Apparently you need ~500k people to sign, and the TOTAL mayoral election voter turnout was <400k haha. Couple that with the fact that digital signatures are not an option means it will most certainly not have any teeth, although I wish that wasn't the case.

I will happily sign this if I can ever figure out how.

Tik-Tok
02-05-2024, 05:34 PM
“For the petition to be successful, the representative recall petitioner must collect signatures from at least 40 per cent of the population within the city of Calgary. All signatures must be original signatures and a recall petition may not be signed in digital form,” says Martin.

That sounds like it's pretty much impossible to do, no matter what.

tirebob
02-05-2024, 05:35 PM
I did see this. There's no way it'll pass, but it looks like the guy who put it forward has made his peace with that. Apparently you need ~500k people to sign, and the TOTAL mayoral election voter turnout was <400k haha. Couple that with the fact that digital signatures are not an option means it will most certainly not have any teeth, although I wish that wasn't the case.

I will happily sign this if I can ever figure out how.

Is there even enough voting age adults in Calgary to meet that number?

Beyond vote rigging engage!!!

vengie
02-05-2024, 05:35 PM
Approved

*Signed, concerned Airdrie resident

suntan
02-05-2024, 05:37 PM
I'm going to sign it hell or high water.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-05-2024, 05:39 PM
Is there even enough voting age adults in Calgary to meet that number?

Beyond vote rigging engage!!!

I think it's supposed to be 40% of eligible voters, but either way a Herculean task with all the signatures needing to be physical.

killramos
02-05-2024, 06:54 PM
Basically impossible to recall a mayor without crowdfunding an entire election lol.

Who is possibly going to verify 500k paper signatures.

D'z Nutz
02-05-2024, 06:59 PM
Fuck, I'll go physically sign it if someone tells me where. It'd be worth it just for the hilarity.

killramos
02-05-2024, 07:08 PM
Fuck, I'll go physically sign it if someone tells me where. It'd be worth it just for the hilarity.

Yea it would be pretty embarrassing if they got anything resembling a lot of signatures

D'z Nutz
02-05-2024, 07:11 PM
Yea it would be pretty embarrassing if they got anything resembling a lot of signatures

That's my thinking too. Even if they got 10% of the required signatures, that's still a lot of people pissed off enough to get off their asses to sign this haha

killramos
02-05-2024, 07:13 PM
Hard to represent the mayors naysayers as fringe that’s for sure.

Also embarrassing to be the first mayor to have a recall campaign get traction

bjstare
02-05-2024, 07:51 PM
That's my thinking too. Even if they got 10% of the required signatures, that's still a lot of people pissed off enough to get off their asses to sign this haha

The guy who brought the recall campaign forward said this is his primary goal - just get enough people to sign that it makes city hall realize that they aren’t actually all that great. He knows it won’t pass.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2024, 07:56 PM
He could post up in a major parking lot and get thousands in a drive-thru kind of setup,

msommers
02-05-2024, 08:43 PM
He could post up in a major parking lot and get thousands in a drive-thru kind of setup,

Make this happen

max_boost
02-05-2024, 09:12 PM
the people have spoken
gondek is the chosen one

TomcoPDR
02-05-2024, 09:18 PM

If the organizer is well funded, collab with them fast food chains, then offer ppl to pay for them $0.15 McPaperbags after an autograph

jwslam
02-05-2024, 10:06 PM
Is the parking lot the same one I can have my Chinese lunch buffet at?

dirtsniffer
02-05-2024, 10:17 PM
Where do I have to go to sign?

e31
02-05-2024, 10:41 PM
It took 175,000 votes to get Gondek in. Now it's gonna take nearly 3 times that to get her out!
Tell me with a straight face that democracy is working well here.

tonytiger55
02-06-2024, 12:09 AM
This might be a good test of the legislation to get it changed actually.
If it can be shown obtaining these amount of signatures is unrealistic, it may present a good case for this to be changed.

ExtraSlow
02-06-2024, 08:04 AM
Democracy is working fine. People were apethetic for the election, and that's the people's fault.
People thought the mayor didn't matter.

94boosted
02-06-2024, 08:47 AM
Sadly, when this inevitably doesn't get enough signatures, she's just going to pull a Trudeau and spin it to say that the citizens of Calgary are again giving her a mandate to govern :rolleyes:

killramos
02-06-2024, 09:07 AM
Sadly, when this inevitably doesn't get enough signatures, she's just going to pull a Trudeau and spin it to say that the citizens of Calgary are again giving her a mandate to govern :rolleyes:

I think this is more of a black eye than you might think

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2024, 09:15 AM
It took 175,000 votes to get Gondek in. Now it's gonna take nearly 3 times that to get her out!
Tell me with a straight face that democracy is working well here.

"Democracy" of the Western world hasn't worked for a very long time. The minority controls everything.

Nufy
02-06-2024, 09:15 AM
Should be based on the number of people who actually voted last election.

If it was only 40%...that get the majority of those people to sign.

bjstare
02-06-2024, 09:27 AM
I think this is more of a black eye than you might think

Not to her it isn't. She'll care about as much as Trudeau cares about [insert weekly scandal here]. Water off a duck's back, baby.

Hopefully this will make voters care more about the next muni election.

oster
02-06-2024, 05:13 PM
www.recallmayorgondek.com

killramos
02-06-2024, 07:11 PM
They need to just setup somewhere DT and they will get thousands

finboy
02-06-2024, 07:52 PM
They need to just setup somewhere DT and they will get thousands

Kicking off Saturday at city hall apparently

killramos
02-06-2024, 07:57 PM
Saturday?

They need to setup while people are getting paid to poop

ThePenIsMightier
02-06-2024, 11:51 PM
There should be a recall vote every 4 years.

OTown
02-07-2024, 12:44 AM
They have made this recall incredibly hard to find online. First time ive seen a link and its on Beyond after lots of googling. Im guessing likely on purpose.

BokCh0y
02-07-2024, 01:14 AM
www.recallmayorgondek.com

Thank you.

D'z Nutz
02-10-2024, 05:31 PM
Anyone else go sign today? I just came back and I was pretty surprised there was a steady flow of people the entire time I was there. And not the angry rednecks I thought there'd be, but quite a variety of people.

mr2mike
02-10-2024, 05:52 PM
Couldn't make it but volunteered to collect names.
People in my office will probably want to sign.
Make it easy for them.

ThePenIsMightier
02-10-2024, 06:42 PM
Are you guys serious??! Why do people feel that the solution is more frequent voting and when does that frequency become too much?
Do people think that if they could vote on their phones every evening that the next morning's government would arrive smoothly and fix whatever pissed them off that day?
Let the obviously crazy bitch finish her term with enough rope to hang herself for the rest of her career and boot her out at that time.

tirebob
02-10-2024, 07:16 PM
Are you guys serious??! Why do people feel that the solution is more frequent voting and when does that frequency become too much?
Do people think that if they could vote on their phones every evening that the next morning's government would arrive smoothly and fix whatever pissed them off that day?
Let the obviously crazy bitch finish her term with enough rope to hang herself for the rest of her career and boot her out at that time.

I dunno... I think it is not a bad thing to let politicians know they can be fired for not doing their job well. Why should they have a guarantee of position with zero recourse for poor performance? A lot of damage can be done in that period of time to both business and the personal finances of the populace.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2024, 07:21 PM
The possibility of recall is important.

mr2mike
02-10-2024, 07:21 PM
There's a small chance that this works. I'd take a bit of time to see if happen.
Maybe old Sharpe can check herself too.

Nobody I've voted for has ever been elected in a municipal election.
Shows me my views are very different from the "majority".

firebane
02-10-2024, 07:40 PM

No matter the position someone is in they should be held accountable for their choices and decisions. Too often people in politics are not and get away with stupid shit.

Just because you are a Mayor and voted in by the people of your City does not mean you should be invincible if you are doing a shitty job.

People of today are a lot more open and vocal and willing to take stand if they feel its the right choice compared to previous generations.

mr2mike
02-10-2024, 08:15 PM
Tossing a plastic horse head on her driveway didn't work.
So this is the alternative.

ThePenIsMightier
02-10-2024, 08:19 PM
There is 111% accountability when they fuck up. They don't get reelected. It's not Rocket Appliances.
The retarded populace elected this insane person and trusting the retarded populace to change their mind, "get it right, this time" and vote on things every year/month/week/day is straight out of Idiocracy.

Yes, these people can fuck things up and cost everyone a lot of money and damage over their 4 year terms, but the answer to that is to vote more carefully and campaign to ensure your person gets in, as opposed to laissez-faire vote and then go all cancel-culture when the shit dick that was democratically elected pisses you off.
It's demonstrating a complete lack of accountability. We need to feel this pain because we fuckin did this to ourselves and the pain will help us to remember better for the future.

SKR
02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
There is 111% accountability when they fuck up. They don't get reelected. It's not Rocket Appliances.
The retarded populace elected this insane person and trusting the retarded populace to change their mind, "get it right, this time" and vote on things every year/month/week/day is straight out of Idiocracy.

Yes, these people can fuck things up and cost everyone a lot of money and damage over their 4 year terms, but the answer to that is to vote more carefully and campaign to ensure your person gets in, as opposed to laissez-faire vote and then go all cancel-culture when the shit dick that was democratically elected pisses you off.
It's demonstrating a complete lack of accountability. We need to feel this pain because we fuckin did this to ourselves and the pain will help us to remember better for the future.

I'm with you. Any fuckin dummy can get a petition going and then we're stuck in a loop of constant elections. It would be nice if it only happened to people who genuinely have to be removed, but there isn't a mechanism to keep it away from people too stupid to know how to use it. We just went through this in Medicine Hat where some goofy dingbat tried to get the mayor ousted, and when it was all said and done she had something like 14 signatures. I don't hate the idea of it but I'm not signing a petition every 20 minutes.

killramos
02-10-2024, 09:11 PM
I dunno. A lot of good could have been done if we turfed Nenshi 6 months into his first term when it turned out he was the farthest thing from conservative ( that he ran on) that could be.

The bar is very high to recall, if this guy and his supporters want to try and achieve that bar I say power to him.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2024, 09:41 PM
I support efforts to achieve difficult goals

ThePenIsMightier
02-10-2024, 09:57 PM
This is peak lack of accountability behaviour that the majority of us recognize as being the keystone in the collapse of modern society. And yet, here many of us same people are extolling the virtues of getting an opportunity to "take a mulligan" on something as fundamentally important as voting.
It's absolutely appalling.

Tik-Tok
02-10-2024, 10:24 PM
If you get hired as a contractor with a 4 year term, and end up being the shittiest of employees, there's a reason a business can still turf you before the 4 years is up. The same should go for elected officials in any capacity.

It just sucks that it costs an exorbitant amount to "hire" someone new.

ThePenIsMightier
02-10-2024, 10:30 PM
If you get hired as a contractor with a 4 year term, and end up being the shittiest of employees, there's a reason a business can still turf you before the 4 years is up. The same should go for elected officials in any capacity.

It just sucks that it costs an exorbitant amount to "hire" someone new.

You're not wrong, but please describe how frequently a Contractor's term is 4 years and in what position.
Any contractor I've ever hired can be terminated immediately at will. Otherwise, why the fuck hire a contractor at significantly inflated rates if I can't fire this knob without a moment's notice?!!?!

msommers
02-10-2024, 11:27 PM
Considering she's the only mayor to have this happen in Calgary, she has got to realize whether this goes through or not she seriously fucked up and is done sooner or later

OTown
02-11-2024, 12:58 AM
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/bell-calgary-councillor-scolding-mayor-gondek-ego

Ouch. Pretty harsh words from some councilors. Maybe the writing is on the wall.

People just want City Hall to stop over-reaching and do their fucking jobs. Its not your job to call a climate emergency. Its not your job to police take out containers. Its not your job to dictate societal change. Its not your job to talk down to the citizenship just cause you think you're smarter than them.

Its your job to support the communities, fill potholes and keep people safe. End of story.

mr2mike
02-11-2024, 12:48 PM
Add this in there too:

https://youtu.be/BOBXZ8Yvky8?si=tIduWWA9QQp2Nsmz

Maxt
02-11-2024, 02:01 PM
Maybe they can use the excuse they just ran out of petition pages.

RawB8figure
02-13-2024, 03:03 PM

Hallowed_point
02-13-2024, 04:30 PM
Add this in there too:

https://youtu.be/BOBXZ8Yvky8?si=tIduWWA9QQp2Nsmz Yes, this was the perfect reminder on why ol' bugeyes needs to go. Gondek has seriously made me somewhat nostalgic for our beloved purple prince. How is that possible?

At least Spendshi was somewhat accountable compared to this kind of nonsense. We would've gotten a monologue about treaty 7, BIPOC, bike lanes, food trucks but at least we would've gotten an "answer." :banghead:

phreezee
02-14-2024, 02:45 PM
They had volunteers in the +15, so I signed. Small line up, and others were stopping to sign as well.

Tik-Tok
02-14-2024, 03:15 PM
I attempted to sign at Wise Guys liquor today, but they were closed during their open hours.

94boosted
02-15-2024, 02:50 PM
They had volunteers in the +15, so I signed. Small line up, and others were stopping to sign as well.

Yup, saw a lady in the Brookfield +15 today, steady stream of folks signing. Signed as well of course.

pf0sh0
02-15-2024, 03:28 PM
They're also over by van express in the +15

Darell_n
02-15-2024, 05:08 PM
So who’s the choice for next mayor, or just leave the job open indefinitely? Probably several candidates from Chestermere that are available.

darthVWader
Anyone have any guess to how many signatures they get?

My guess is: 38,000

killramos
I nominate a rabbit

ExtraSlow
02-15-2024, 05:24 PM
I don't think we need one. Leave it fucking vacant.

ThePenIsMightier
02-15-2024, 05:26 PM
I nominate a rabbit

We successfully elected Soundwave to the Student Council at UofA awhile ago. He literally beat living human candidates.

KrisYYC
02-15-2024, 05:32 PM
The Flames have some home games coming up don't they? I bet they'd get a lot of people signing if they set up outside entrance/exits to the Saddledome before and after the game.

Tik-Tok
02-15-2024, 06:53 PM
The Flames have some home games coming up don't they? I bet they'd get a lot of people signing if they set up outside entrance/exits to the Saddledome before and after the game.

Murray Edwards would probably kick them off the property. He doesn't want someone else to cancel his sweet arena deal.

ExtraSlow
02-15-2024, 07:27 PM
Murray doesn't own that property.

killramos
02-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Murray doesn't care

D'z Nutz
02-15-2024, 08:39 PM
Anyone have any guess to how many signatures they get?

My guess is: 38,000

I would be impressed if they got 10,000. The guy even said early on if he managed to collect 1000 signatures, he'd consider this a success.

That said, I think it will largely depend on volunteers just being in high traffic areas. I can't imagine too many people going out of their way to sign this cause it won't ever reach its goal, but if the petition happens to be around where lots of people are passing by, I can see them collecting signatures that way.

XylathaneGTR
02-20-2024, 03:37 PM
I would be impressed if they got 10,000. The guy even said early on if he managed to collect 1000 signatures, he'd consider this a success.

That said, I think it will largely depend on volunteers just being in high traffic areas. I can't imagine too many people going out of their way to sign this cause it won't ever reach its goal, but if the petition happens to be around where lots of people are passing by, I can see them collecting signatures that way.

Saw volunteers collecting signatures in a few high-volume +15s over the lunchhour today; how many of you grumpy bastards signed on?

SJW
02-20-2024, 03:45 PM
Saw volunteers collecting signatures in a few high-volume +15s over the lunchhour today; how many of you grumpy bastards signed on?

I signed at the sobeys in mack towne.

suntan
02-20-2024, 03:50 PM

Signed last week at the one in Calgary Place.

Homerrca
02-20-2024, 03:54 PM
They had one at the Westbrook Walmart on Sunday, had my wife and I sign the petition so we did our part.

msommers
02-21-2024, 09:54 AM
Do they say when/where they're setting up? Westbrook would have been perfect for me to swing over

SJW
02-21-2024, 09:56 AM
How many siggys you think this will garner?

03ozwhip
02-21-2024, 10:13 AM
My brother in law is all about this, so he frequently posts up spots where everyone will be. If you guys are interested I can copy and paste the stuff here.

I have no interest in this since it doesn't affect Mr.

D'z Nutz
02-21-2024, 01:58 PM
Do they say when/where they're setting up? Westbrook would have been perfect for me to swing over

Yeah I think they're doing a really shit job of posting when and where these signing locations are. They're not listed on the guy's twitter or website. You just kinda stumble onto it or hope someone shares a location.

Team_Mclaren
02-21-2024, 02:52 PM
honestly someone should take over the organization.

suntan
02-21-2024, 02:55 PM
Recall the recall.

SJW
02-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Once you look at Gondek and see count chocula you'll never unsee it.

suntan
02-21-2024, 03:22 PM
7.8! ha! ha! ha!

msommers
02-21-2024, 03:37 PM

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing it even side-by-side.

But those eyebrows on Chocula :love:

ExtraSlow
02-21-2024, 04:04 PM

I wish you hadn't said, that. My fetish of fapping to politicians is getting less fulfilling by the week.

tirebob
02-21-2024, 04:13 PM
I wish you hadn't said, that. My fetish of fapping to politicians is getting less fulfilling by the week.

Melanie Joly could hold a dick just right I bet... Fap to that!

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/nationalpost/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Melanie-Joly-1.jpg

ExtraSlow
02-21-2024, 04:14 PM
On it.

msommers
02-21-2024, 04:18 PM

Someone rep this man

SKR
02-21-2024, 05:22 PM

I can imagine it. Mine is about that long, and that's the face she'd make when she saw it.

ercchry
02-23-2024, 11:39 AM
Saw this on FB:

UPDATED (as of February 20) Locations:
Merv’s No Frills
200, 4501 17th Ave. SE
Wednesday, February 21st
1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
��
Ogden FreshCo.
7740 18th St. S.E.
(Waiting on more dates)
��
Dalhousie LRT
Thursday, February 22nd
4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
��
Brentwood LRT
Tuesday, February 20th
4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
��
Sobeys Mckenzie town.
February 20th, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
February 21st, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
February 22nd, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.mm
��
NEW
Transit Terminal Country Hills Link NW
Tuesday Feb 20th
4:00p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
��
McKenzie Town Sobeys
2:00 to 5:00 pm
Monday, February 19th
��
Tuscany Club Parking lot entrance.
212 Tuscany Way N.W.
Every day
11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
��
Prairie Winds park,
223 Castleridge Blvd NE
Tuesday, February 20th
4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m
Look for a red Mazda.
��
Calgary City Hall (East side of building)
Saturdays at 1:00
Join us for another signing opportunity to sign your name to the petition to oust Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek.
��
Recall Gondek Petition signing location:
A&M Mobile Mechanic Ltd
520 35 Ave N.E.
Monday to Friday from 9 AM-6PM.
��
UPDATED BELOW ON: Nottinghams Pub in Silver Springs
141 - 8060
Silver Springs Blvd NW
Calgary, AB
Canada T3B 5K1
403 - 288 - 0964
Tuesday to Friday 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thu, Fri, Sat 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sundays 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. & Monday 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Extended hours Tuesday & Wednesday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
��
Angels Cafe NW
Monday to Thursday
11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday
10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
��
Wise Guys Liquor
14, 2770 - 32 Ave. NE
(403) 219-8804
��
Waves Cafe in Sunridge
2685 36 St NE, Calgary, AB T1Y 5S3
587 350 8838
(Call cafe to see if someone will be there)
Not necessarily the business hosting but someone has asked the cafe and received permission to take signatures at that time.
��
Good Earth Cafe
356 Cranston Road S.E.
Friday, February 23
5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m
��
Fresh & Local Farm Store
(Entrance is on the south side of Avenida Shopping Complex beside Collective, A Craft Beer Shop).
426, 12445 Lake Fraser Drive SE
Open Daily
Monday to Saturday, 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m
Sundays 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
��
Fresh & Local Markets & Kitchens
426, 12445 Lake Fraser Drive SE
(There are 3 entrances one right next to Fresh & Local Farm Store)
Thursday to Saturday
11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Sundays
11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

msommers
02-23-2024, 03:33 PM
I can imagine it. Mine is about that long, and that's the face she'd make when she saw it.

You know if it was around, she'd be making the same face.

Anyways they've revamped their website and organization with a calendar as proper socials.

https://recallgondekyyc.ca/

https://www.keepandshare.com/calendar39/show.php?i=2993883

Tik-Tok
02-24-2024, 02:17 PM
Two people holding up "Recall Gondek" signs by Chinook C-train station this morning. I agree with them, but they looked like the same people always holding up "Praise Jesus" signs

ExtraSlow
02-24-2024, 02:29 PM
If it would mean a mayoral recall, I'd be open to praising someone.

ThePenIsMightier
02-24-2024, 02:40 PM
If it would mean a mayoral recall, I'd be open to praising someone.

Speaking of praising something... What blend of ethnic backgrounds helped to produce the cartoon mayor?
She looks a bit like a Middle Eastern person who for some reason gets a Trump spray tan.
But moreso like Count Chocula...

suntan
02-24-2024, 03:42 PM
She’s east indian. Married a white guy.

bigboom
02-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Gondek petition signing is available in between Bankers Hall/GCS +15 right now.

Darell_n
02-26-2024, 01:59 PM
Is there an end date of this petition? When’s the next planned election, same date?

suntan
02-26-2024, 02:11 PM
No more erections with Gondek around.

BokCh0y
02-26-2024, 02:15 PM
No more erections with Gondek around.

Nothing erects me more than a woman that looks like Count Chocula.

ThePenIsMightier
02-26-2024, 02:23 PM
Nothing erects me more than a woman that looks like Count Chocula.

Just want to pump milk onto her.

SJW
02-26-2024, 02:33 PM
Just want to pump milk onto her.

I think i'm gonna be sick.

XylathaneGTR
02-26-2024, 02:41 PM
Two people holding up "Recall Gondek" signs by Chinook C-train station this morning. I agree with them, but they looked like the same people always holding up "Praise Jesus" signs

Unfortunately found myself stuck in traffic on Memorial Drive last friday afternoon - saw a few folks holding a banner over the Bridgeland LRT pedestrian overpass - "STOP PERVERTS" (protect our kids, anti-trans, etc. etc.) and noticed a few "Recall Gondek" signs bouncing around them. Quelle Surprise that the recall overlaps with the anti-vax/f-trudeau/groomer/conspiracy crowd. Definitely a lotta overlap there - any bets on Craig Chandler showing up as a driving force behind this recall?