PDA

View Full Version : Spam calls and texts

tonytiger55
02-07-2024, 12:41 PM
Has anyone noticed they are getting a large number of spam calls and texts?
I have been getting a number of spam texts from Canadian numbers. i.e Delivery failed select link to reschedule etc.

I get calls where it sounds like a call center in the background. Now a number on my contact list came up, I asked my friend if they called and they said no.
I am on the do not call registry.

The number of spam texts and calls is getting ridiculous.

Anyone else getting this?

tirebob
02-07-2024, 12:43 PM
All the fucking time... So annoying!

INITIALD
02-07-2024, 12:45 PM
"would you like your air ducts cleaned"

Inzane
02-07-2024, 12:51 PM
"Hello, I am calling from windows and doors."

SJW
02-07-2024, 12:52 PM
I've started just straight out saying "lets skip all the scam bullshit and just give me your account number to just send the money to".

They seem to get pissed off immediately.

ThePenIsMightier
02-07-2024, 12:56 PM
I have to answer quickly because Epcor is shutting my power off as I was $8.64 short on last month's invoice, but it's ok because I can use the $38.67 overpayment I'll be getting back from Fido.

firebane
02-07-2024, 01:00 PM
stop answering numbers you don't know lol. the 2nd you answer these fuck heads you they know and spread like a gross germ.

Sugarphreak
02-07-2024, 01:34 PM
I've started just straight out saying "lets skip all the scam bullshit and just give me your account number to just send the money to".

They seem to get pissed off immediately.

I keep getting "Rogers Mobility" guys calling me from India, and whenever I tell them I will never buy anything over the phone and ask to remove my name from the call list they lose their shit.

I had one guys start yelling "NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo" at me until I hung up.

I don't understand how they can't get on top of this spoof call shit given how much phone companies charge us for service.

ThePenIsMightier
02-07-2024, 01:38 PM
stop answering numbers you don't know lol. the 2nd you answer these fuck heads you they know and spread like a gross germ.

I'm talking about the increase in texts. For calls, I do answer just so I can instantly hang up preventing them from filling a voicemail with Mandarin nonsense over harp music.

ercchry
02-07-2024, 01:48 PM
Somehow outlook blocks legitimate emails all the time, but every morning I wake up to at least 5 spam emails trying to sell me SEO services

Sentry
02-07-2024, 01:52 PM
I literally only pick up for my mom these days. Everyone else can leave a message or get fucked.

dj_rice
02-07-2024, 01:58 PM
I literally only pick up for my mom these days. Everyone else can leave a message or get fucked.

Pretty much. If its a # I don't recognize, it goes straight to VM.

Rocket1k78
02-07-2024, 02:36 PM
I had the weirdest text/spam call interaction a couple weeks ago. I got back from holidays and the next morning i get a text saying its RBC asking about a potential fraudulent purchase and to text yes or no to confirm, I figured it was some scam so i ignored it. I get a call from some 1-800 number about an later so I answered and it was an automated greeting say they were the Royal Bank fraud department calling about fraudulent purchases and the crazy part is the automated message listed my postal code, last 4 digits of my CC and the last 5 charges including the one I got a text about. I was totally thinking this was real but the only thing that threw me off was that they said they were Royal bank when normally its RBC. I push the 1 to connect and they put me on hold for 10 minutes but I had to hang up because I got to the place to pick something up. I'm still recovering from a nasty 3:00 am flight that was delayed 5 hours so not thinking straight and I go to use my CC to pay for something and its declined, stupid me remembers that I was literally on hold with rbc fraud not even 10 mins ago. I pay with another card and call the number on the back of the CC, only took 50 minutes to get through to the fraud department and they confirmed it was them that texted but the call was not them, I told them they knew my postal code and the last 5 transactions so they cancelled my card. Still dont know how they knew all my info because RBC had no idea either

firebane
02-07-2024, 02:39 PM
I had the weirdest text/spam call interaction a couple weeks ago. I got back from holidays and the next morning i get a text saying its RBC asking about a potential fraudulent purchase and to text yes or no to confirm, I figured it was some scam so i ignored it. I get a call from some 1-800 number about an later so I answered and it was an automated greeting say they were the Royal Bank fraud department calling about fraudulent purchases and the crazy part is the automated message listed my postal code, last 4 digits of my CC and the last 5 charges including the one I got a text about. I was totally thinking this was real but the only thing that threw me off was that they said they were Royal bank when normally its RBC. I push the 1 to connect and they put me on hold for 10 minutes but I had to hang up because I got to the place to pick something up. I'm still recovering from a nasty 3:00 am flight that was delayed 5 hours so not thinking straight and I go to use my CC to pay for something and its declined, stupid me remembers that I was literally on hold with rbc fraud not even 10 mins ago. I pay with another card and call the number on the back of the CC, only took 50 minutes to get through to the fraud department and they confirmed it was them that texted but the call was not them, I told them they knew my postal code and the last 5 transactions so they cancelled my card. Still dont know how they knew all my info because RBC had no idea either

They know this because some site you've used in the past has been compromised and data was leaked.

max_boost
02-07-2024, 04:03 PM
It’s cwazy cupcakes :nut:

hurrdurr
02-07-2024, 04:14 PM
I am getting 2-3 a day. It's getting to be a bit much

I ask politely for them to stop calling and they always get mad, last time a guy started raging on me like I was a bad person for kindly requesting that he remove me from their call list.

tonytiger55
02-07-2024, 04:34 PM
I always get the furnace duct cleaning calls too. I was even straight with one guy and said look I get you need to make your bread too. But I get called every six months and what purpose is it serving if I am just going to say no. Are you really making any money? They ignore what I say and go on and on. I put them on speaker for a while I work. Then I have to break it to them that I live in a apartment and I don't have a furnace.

I don't get the purpose of the calls or the spam texts. I don't understand how the telecoms regulator does not look at this in more detail.

gpomp
02-07-2024, 04:36 PM
I recently switched from Rogers to Telus and am really enjoying the call control feature which blocks 99% of spam calls

nismodrifter
02-07-2024, 05:03 PM
I always thought the furnace duct cleaning guys only targeted me because I am Indian and so are they. You mean to tell me others get the calls too?

Best call I ever had was ~15+ years ago, furnace duct cleaning guy who I told to "hold on, I have to go get my dad, he can talk with you about this". I turned on punjabi music, put on speaker phone, and let the phone sit there while I continued my work. After 20 minutes dude was still there on the line listening to the music. I then cussed him out in punjabi and told him not to bother me again. He cussed back. ROFLAMINGO.

88CRX
02-07-2024, 05:15 PM
4 or 5 spam texts every god damn day.

EMT not deposited
Canada Post delivery failed
UPS something something
FedEX blah blah blah
RBC/TD/Scotia Bank fraud department
Customs clearance scam
Over payment for something I didn't buy
Costco Rewards cheque
Apple security breach

Its endless.

I don't answer my phone (like everyone else) so the spammers have clearly shifted from calling to texting.

max_boost
02-07-2024, 05:18 PM
I always thought the furnace duct cleaning guys only targeted me because I am Indian and so are they. You mean to tell me others get the calls too?

Best call I ever had was ~15+ years ago, furnace duct cleaning guy who I told to "hold on, I have to go get my dad, he can talk with you about this". I turned on punjabi music, put on speaker phone, and let the phone sit there while I continued my work. After 20 minutes dude was still there on the line listening to the music. I then cussed him out in punjabi and told him not to bother me again. He cussed back. ROFLAMINGO.

this is legendary omg lol

tirebob
02-07-2024, 09:46 PM
Somehow outlook blocks legitimate emails all the time, but every morning I wake up to at least 5 spam emails trying to sell me SEO services

You're lucky it is only 5... I delete that shit every hour it seems. Grrrrr

I also only ever answer calls I recognize... never if I don't. Still doesn't stop them all. The call control thing though has helped. I wish they could come up with something for texts...

D'z Nutz
02-07-2024, 11:30 PM
https://www.androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Call-Screening-AM-AH-1.jpg

ExtraSlow
02-08-2024, 08:22 AM
Yeah call screen is an excellent feature. Call control is good too.

Homerrca
02-08-2024, 08:27 AM
When I get them, I switch to a horriblt Mexican accent and start to ask how much for the wife and children. When I get a WTF, I double down and ask again, Hey, how much for your wife and your children.. If they continue, I just ask how much for them. Thank you Blues brothers for that scene.

SKR
02-08-2024, 09:24 AM
I got a text once and the conversation led to being sent a picture of this fool. I guess I was supposed to feel threatened.

Swank
02-08-2024, 10:45 AM
I don't get the purpose of the calls or the spam texts. I don't understand how the telecoms regulator does not look at this in more detail.

The calls wouldn't happen if people wouldn't fall for them enough to be worth it. There would have to be a globally mandated effort to investigate and prosecute violations, and phone bills would likely have to skyrocket to fund those efforts.

hampstor
02-08-2024, 10:48 AM
I've been getting a lot of calls recently from a 403 area code, and then they immediately hang up. Sometimes it'll be 3+ times in a row.

The overall spam calls I get though is my fuck up. I had accidentally surfaced publicly my personal phone # on LinkedIn for a few days last year.

During that time, someone acquired it and entered it into some CRM and selling it to every damn tech company under the sun. The calls are all the same "hi I work for [insert random tech company name], and I see you are [old job title] at [my employer]. I'd like to send you a research paper on [some technology service area] and follow up with you [insert time period]. "

Thankfully, I can use Google's screening service with all the numbers I don't have saved in my contact list / or don't recognize the name display.

haggis88
02-08-2024, 12:06 PM
Google screen is the best thing ever

Don't think I've answered the phone for a long time, I used to answer and just hurl the most racist words I could think of but I can't do that with little kids around

My work phone is an iphone though and I kind of have to answer random NA numbers as they could be a manager from a different department calling me and I can't save EVERY number in the company directory

Is there an App for iPhone that does what google call screen does? Never been able to find one.

mr2mike
02-08-2024, 01:00 PM
https://www.androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Call-Screening-AM-AH-1.jpg

^^This.
I also see very few scam texts, google filters really well too.

schurchill39
02-08-2024, 02:36 PM
At least once or twice a month we get a screen grab from my inlaws asking if the text they just got is legit. The fact that there are so many people out there that fall for these scams are why we will likely not be able to get rid of them

SKR
02-08-2024, 06:10 PM
At least once or twice a month we get a screen grab from my inlaws asking if the text they just got is legit. The fact that there are so many people out there that fall for these scams are why we will likely not be able to get rid of them

Seems like a good reason TO get rid of them.

Oh, you mean the scammers. Yes, it will be tough to get rid of them.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2024, 09:28 PM
Will the scammers abduct the inlaws? Win win.

schurchill39
02-09-2024, 09:28 AM
Until my kids are old enough to stay home by themselves I need my in-laws, so up to that point I'll need to help them out with not being scammed.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2024, 10:02 AM
Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

tonytiger55
02-10-2024, 01:09 PM
I had a call from Peru. A guy with a Indian accent telling he got my details from digital marketing website. I had him on speaker while I was just answering emails. He was offering me a job where I can earn $60-$100 per hour remote work.
He was not clear on what the job was and who would be paying me. I thought why not? In this economy we could all do with a extra bit of dosh. I asked him about where he got my details from as I looked up the company and it did not seem connected to who he was talking about.
I played along until he wanted to send me details on whatsapp. I kept on insisting for the company just to call me on the number he called me on. He kept asking permission to send details on whatsapp. I said no, but I am interested and I have other people I can refer. In the end he hung up. I tried calling back a couple of times to insist I was interested. But I got the customer is unavailable recording. Now I am curious as hell what that job was.

arcticcat522
02-10-2024, 05:12 PM
Oh ya, I work with that guy....send me your bank account info, sin number and mother's maiden name and I'll get it all sorted out for you....

Maxt
02-11-2024, 02:15 PM
So much for the feds spam department.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2024, 03:08 PM
So much for the feds spam department.

If they hire another seven hundred people it might get better.

Maxt
02-11-2024, 03:21 PM
If they hire another seven hundred people it might get better.
You'll know they're getting real serious when they introduce a tax to deal with it.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2024, 03:25 PM
You'll know they're getting real serious when they introduce a tax to deal with it.

If we all paid a tax on spam calls they could be reduced by several percent.

Rocket1k78
02-21-2024, 10:57 AM
They know this because some site you've used in the past has been compromised and data was leaked.

These fucks are getting real good now. Got a call yesterday and in the caller ID it said RBC so I answered, the guy said he was from the CC fraud department and asked me if I made a purchase in quebec. I was in a rush when they called so I didnt clue in right away that this could be a scam and completely forgot about what happened a month ago. I said no to the charge and he said they'd cancel the card and send it to my branch for pick up, right after that he said they also noticed a couple of attempted E transfer attempts from my account but they were blocked by RBC. He told me he'd have to transfer me to that department to get it sorted out. When the new guy came on he told me about the attempted E transfers and for safety they would have to decrease my limits temporarily and needed to ask some verification questions, they asked me how long ive been with RBC and I said at least 20 years but he said he needed exact dates and thankfully my common sense kicked back in because I knew theres no way anyone would know the exact date they opened an account that long ago. He then said they can do it another way and sure enough he asks for my client card number so I ended the call.