PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Tank Replacement

Nufy
02-20-2024, 03:24 PM
Anyone done one lately...

My 15 year old unit is starting to shown signs of kicking the bucket. Did another T-couple replacement this weekend.

Anyone recently quoted / installed a 50 Gallon replacement ?

Not interested in doing it myself or switching to tankless.

Thanks.

msommers
02-20-2024, 03:33 PM
You're looking at ~$1,500 if it's atmospheric (easily double if it's forced air).

I used these guys, did a great job.

https://www.primeplumbingandheating.ca/

SJW
02-20-2024, 03:44 PM
I got pete the plumber to do mine. Was like 1300 if I remember correctly. Was a couple years ago though.

arcticcat522
02-20-2024, 03:45 PM
^^same

The_Penguin
02-20-2024, 05:37 PM
I got pete the plumber to do mine. Was like 1300 if I remember correctly. Was a couple years ago though.

Same. Mrs. Penguin booked them. I was a bit skeptical cheesy commercials and all, but they did good work and were reasonably priced.

asp integra
02-20-2024, 05:56 PM
Just replaced mine about a month ago, I think it was 50gl. Cost about $1,800 but it was an emergency replacement as mine went out and needed a new unit asap as it was during that deep freeze in jan.

littledan
02-20-2024, 05:59 PM
how often are people draining or replacing the rods on their tanks? I'm getting reddish buildup in my sink drains so wondering if rod is spent and tank is starting to rust??

Tik-Tok
02-20-2024, 06:13 PM
I've replaced mine twice in 15 years. The real key to longevity though is regular tank draining. Just a few gallons forms the drain spout a few times a year gets rid of the mineral build-up.

brucebanner
02-20-2024, 06:14 PM
how often are people draining or replacing the rods on their tanks? I'm getting reddish buildup in my sink drains so wondering if rod is spent and tank is starting to rust??

3-5 years is recommended. Would be a good thing to check, replace and flush out your tank. It wouldn't hurt anything and you'd only be out the small cost of the anode rod.

ExtraSlow
02-20-2024, 06:16 PM
Good reminder I should do mine.

msommers
02-20-2024, 06:17 PM
Just hook up a short garden hose and let er rip down the floor drain?

brucebanner
02-20-2024, 06:23 PM
Good reminder I should do mine.
I've been meaning to do mine too.

HOW TO FLUSH A WATER HEATER IN 7 STEPS
Flushing your water heater can be a complex and sometimes intimidating process, but we’ve outlined 7 detailed steps to follow.

STEP 1: TURN OFF THE WATER HEATER’S THERMOSTAT
How to do this depends on what model you have. Check the manual for specifics, but here are some general tips:

Look for an Off button toward the bottom of your water heater.
If you’re dealing with an electric water heater, you’ll need to look for your home’s breaker box and turn off the switch that supplies power to the unit.
If your model is older, you may need to relight the pilot light before being able to use the heater again.
STEP 2: TURN OFF THE GAS SUPPLY
This is a crucial step when you need to flush a gas water heater. The Off button should be located on the pipe leading to your thermometer. Once you switch that off, you’re good to move to step three.

STEP 3: TURN OFF THE WATER SUPPLY
Toward the top of your water heater, you’ll find a switch or valve handle that controls the cold water flow. Use it to turn off the cold water.

STEP 4: TURN ON YOUR HOT WATER IN A TUB OR SINK
Locate the faucet closest to the water heater and turn on the hot water. Doing so will drain your hot water and release the pressure from the tank.

STEP 5: CONNECT THE DRAINAGE SPIGOT
Unless you already have a hose connected to your hot water heater, you can use your garden hose for this step. Connect one end to the drainage spigot, and put the other in a secure place, like a large bucket or a bowl, where it can drain safely.

STEP 6: TURN ON THE SPIGOT AND DRAIN
Flushing a water heater requires a watchful eye. Once you turn on the spigot, keep an eye on the quality of the draining water. You won’t want to stop draining the heater until the water runs clear.

If your water is discolored or has sediment coming out, your water heater certainly needs flushing. If you find your water isn’t clearing up, you may need to drain the water to clean it properly.

STEP 7: FLUSH
In order to flush your water heater, you’ll need to turn on the cold water spout and let it run for a few minutes. Keep a close eye on the water coming through the hose. Again, you’re watching for the water to run clear. Once it does, you’re all done with the flushing process.

eblend
02-20-2024, 07:01 PM
I have used Plumbing Paramedics when my tank started leaking at the top. They were able to come out on short order. My parents had almost exact same thing happen a few years later and fixed theirs as well in short order, basically next day if I recall correctly. I think it was in the $1900-2100 range both times. We got the AO Smith Proline Commercial Grade ones. I opted for the upgrade to get an extra anode rod installed.

Tik-Tok
02-20-2024, 07:11 PM

That's all I do, but what brucebanner said is probably the correct way.

BokCh0y
02-21-2024, 12:40 AM
I had Pete the Plumber replace mine a while back for $1008 installed for a 50G tank, obviously it's gone up now though. I saw an ad recently where he used his truck as a bowling ball to crush some tanks. In that ad, he said it was $1500 for a 50g installed - goodman is the brand.

My buddy needed to do an emergency replacement and he went through Knights Plumbing and they charged him $2500...

ExtraSlow
02-21-2024, 07:23 AM
Just don't call Clearview. Never use Clearview.

spike98
02-21-2024, 08:06 AM
It's pretty simply to replace one if you can manage to use a pipe wrench. Things like shark bite fittings have made it pretty DIY friendly. I have done 3 myself already. Watch some YouTube and see if its worth $800 in labour for something you should be able to do in an afternoon.

firebane
02-21-2024, 08:15 AM
It's pretty simply to replace one if you can manage to use a pipe wrench. Things like shark bite fittings have made it pretty DIY friendly. I have done 3 myself already. Watch some YouTube and see if its worth $800 in labour for something you should be able to do in an afternoon.

If you can replace a hot water heater you should be skilled enough to not need sharkbite fittings and do a proper solder job.

ThePenIsMightier
02-21-2024, 09:00 AM
How much do these whores weigh? Seems like the toughest part would be moving them up/down stairs.
Are lifting straps the key?

ExtraSlow
02-21-2024, 09:01 AM
Yes, yes and yes.

SJW
02-21-2024, 09:12 AM
Pete's did my hot water, furnace and air conditioning. They run a great company. Will always recommend and will always use.

firebane
02-21-2024, 09:29 AM
How much do these whores weigh? Seems like the toughest part would be moving them up/down stairs.
Are lifting straps the key?

Empty they are manageable with a couple of people. So if you have weak help.. straps are beneficial.

spike98
02-21-2024, 10:01 AM
If you can replace a hot water heater you should be skilled enough to not need sharkbite fittings and do a proper solder job.

Okay. And if someone has the equipment to solder copper then they also know how to use it but the lack of equipment doesn't mean they can't do it. Some people aren't going to run out to buy the tools and materials to solder a half dozen connections. Or potentially deal with a leaking isolation valve and soldering a wet connection. This is about as basic as it gets as far as plumbing is concerned and that's my point.

Using shark bite connections is not a right/wrong choice, it's a good/better choice vs soldering.

pheoxs
02-21-2024, 10:08 AM

Drain / Flush is 1-2 times a year. Anode is every 3-5 years and base it on how the last one looked.

firebane
02-21-2024, 10:11 AM
Using shark bite connections is not a right/wrong choice, it's a good/better choice vs soldering.

If you have to resort to using sharkbites... get a proper plumber. Installing proper valves for a hot water tank for the cold/hot with flexible hoses is what I consider a must do next to anode rod maintenance on any tank.

msommers
02-21-2024, 10:17 AM
For those of us who are idiots and need visual aids like myself:

ADwsB0SZ3uA

coTG5mofPX0

SJW
02-21-2024, 10:20 AM

ADwsB0SZ3uA

coTG5mofPX0

I'm so rich I just replace the tank every 3 years.

ThePenIsMightier
02-21-2024, 10:24 AM
I'm so rich I just replace the tank every 3 years.

You're getting Reamed.

Darell_n
02-21-2024, 10:31 AM
Okay. And if someone has the equipment to solder copper then they also know how to use it but the lack of equipment doesn't mean they can't do it. Some people aren't going to run out to buy the tools and materials to solder a half dozen connections. Or potentially deal with a leaking isolation valve and soldering a wet connection. This is about as basic as it gets as far as plumbing is concerned and that's my point.

We all know nobody here is as poor as living in an old house with copper plumbing.

suntan
02-21-2024, 10:34 AM
You pay someone else to replace the tank because moving the tanks and disposing of the old one is not worth your time or effort.

Cash Money Hoes
02-21-2024, 10:41 AM
Your heuristic is off a bit. Copper piping suggests that you live inner city and there is a better than 50% chance that the land value of your property exceeds the value of most homes which do not have copper piping.

firebane
02-21-2024, 11:03 AM

ADwsB0SZ3uA

coTG5mofPX0

If you have taken out the anode just flush from the same hole with a hose or the cold water feed. I have a bib attachment in my mechanical room I hooked up a hose to to flush mine. If you don't have one and your washer is in the same area.. use the tap on that.

Doozer
02-21-2024, 11:12 AM
Ok, here's a question - we built the house almost 20yrs ago. I haven't touched the hot water tank since we moved in. Like literally never. We don't have any issues that I'm aware of - it's not leaking, discoloration, anything. Still have enough hot water for our daily needs (family of 4).

Is it worth trying a flush/rod replacement after all this time or should I just plan a replacement before it craps out?

firebane
02-21-2024, 11:16 AM
Ok, here's a question - we built the house almost 20yrs ago. I haven't touched the hot water tank since we moved in. Like literally never. We don't have any issues that I'm aware of - it's not leaking, discoloration, anything. Still have enough hot water for our daily needs (family of 4).

Is it worth trying a flush/rod replacement after all this time or should I just plan a replacement before it craps out?

Always. Your rod is probably disintegrated at this point and you'd be surprised at how much sediment can build up on the bottom.

Doozer
02-21-2024, 11:19 AM
Always what? Try a replacement and flush? Or replace?

pheoxs
02-21-2024, 11:20 AM
20 years is a long time. First step might be to go look on the top of your water heater where the anode rod threads in and see if there are wires connected to it. Maybe you have a powered anode rod which would last the life of the tank.

Darell_n
02-21-2024, 12:04 PM
Your heuristic is off a bit. Copper piping suggests that you live inner city and there is a better than 50% chance that the land value of your property exceeds the value of most homes which do not have copper piping.

Don’t confuse land value with house value. ‘I live in an expensive inner city knock-down with beautiful copper pipes.’ Don’t get me wrong, I love all things copper.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-21-2024, 06:18 PM
It'll vary based on how fancy of a heater you need/want, but Canadian Water Heaters did our 50gal replacement about three years ago. Price was $1129 + GST for a Bradford White or Rheem Professional. We went with the Rheem due to it being a lot easier to replace the anode rod on them (BW uses a combined inlet tube/anode, while Rheem uses a separate anode).

Warranty was 6 years standard, or they offered $80 to extend to 10 years and they throw in a spare anode rod. Extended warranty for the BW was more expensive but not sure by how much.

They did a good job, no complaints from us.

BokCh0y
02-21-2024, 09:41 PM
Just don't call Clearview. Never use Clearview.

THIS. NEVER USE CLEARVIEW. I think i posted something here before about their rip off prices and $75 charge just to come take a look.

msommers
02-21-2024, 11:59 PM
After my recent estimates and recent-ish estimate from others, $1,500 all-in seems reasonable estimate for a basic 50 gal atmospheric.

g-m
02-22-2024, 10:50 PM
It's a bit more but we got a 200,000 btu Navien tankless and I love it so much

S-FLY
02-23-2024, 09:44 AM
Anyone ever use this guy? https://tankkingplumbing.com/
He's got 80 5-star reviews on Google so I tried to contact him via his website but I never got a reply. I'm wondering if this is a red flag. Prices seem decent, $1650 installed for a 50 gallon Rheem.

SJW
02-23-2024, 09:47 AM
Anyone ever use this guy? https://tankkingplumbing.com/
He's got 80 5-star reviews on Google so I tried to contact him via his website but I never got a reply. I'm wondering if this is a red flag. Prices seem decent, $1650 installed for a 50 gallon Rheem.

My advice, use a bigger named company. But you do you.

schurchill39
02-23-2024, 11:21 AM
These prices are actually a lot less than I would have guessed.

suntan
02-23-2024, 12:44 PM
10 years ago I replaced my 50 gallon with Pete the Plumber. Wasn't even $900. Got a home show special. He had a small booth and was manning it himself, giving out coupons for hot water tank replacement.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2024, 11:15 AM
Related, flushed my 60 gallon tank today. Takes a long time. Didn't see much of anything except water coming out. Guess I'm good for another many years.

mr2mike
02-24-2024, 01:45 PM
Replaced my tank a few months ago.
My theory was either thermostat was getting very lazy or was full of sediment, buffering when the thermostat actual too action on the water temp.
Tank was actually empty of sediment minus minor crud. Never drained it in the 12 years and prior, I doubt those owners drained it. So I stand by my statement of you're wasting your time draining the tank.

Scandia Plumbing and Heating. Went with NOT the home depot special.

ThePenIsMightier
02-24-2024, 02:24 PM
I've drained mine once and absolutely fuck-all sediment came out. Mine is now a decade old but half its life it's been fed softened water, so I tend to think that will reduce sediment.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2024, 02:28 PM
like j-roc, my water is hard as fuck, and still didn't notice anything.

ThePenIsMightier
02-24-2024, 02:34 PM
like j-roc, my water is hard as fuck, and still didn't notice anything.

This mahfk knows.