PDA

View Full Version : photo radar

cerebal
04-05-2004, 05:06 PM
yo what speed over the limit do u have to be going before a photo radar takes a picture.

7thgenvic
04-05-2004, 05:09 PM
i think its around 8 or 9 if im not mistaken

rc2002
04-05-2004, 05:17 PM
I heard that 13km/h (maybe 14) is the limit.

I think it also depends on the posted speed limit.

EnRich
04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
i think its around 8 or 9 if im not mistaken

Thats correct

continuation
04-05-2004, 08:02 PM
anyone know how fast you need to get going before it is to fast for the camera to capture your plate?

EK 2.0
04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by continuation
anyone know how fast you need to get going before it is to fast for the camera to capture your plate?

Not as fast as your "feet" can go man...:D

continuation
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
lol funny.:D :D :D :D

dogmaiwli
04-12-2004, 02:33 PM
You can't go fast enough. it can take 2 pictures a second

sputnik
04-12-2004, 02:42 PM
its generally around 15% over the posted limit

Gonthro
04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
its generally around 15% over the posted limit

its generally 10% (but it can be set to whatever they want) one of my teachers had done it for several years... the best way to avoid getting your picture taken is to go hard on the brakes just after you pass them, because the camera can take your picture anywhere from 30-70* ... but if between 30-70* your speed chnages more than 4km/h it will not take your picture.

B17a
04-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

.. the best way to avoid getting your picture taken is to go hard on the brakes just after you pass them, because the camera can take your picture anywhere from 30-70* ... but if between 30-70* your speed chnages more than 4km/h it will not take your picture.

Actually the best way would not be to speed, but hey, I'm just being technical! I say the best way is to keep your eyes open, 90% of them are a lone vehicle sitting on a open stretch of road. Those you cannot miss! The tricky ones are the side roads like along Bow Tr.

Khyron
04-12-2004, 02:58 PM
They still use radar for the multinovas?

Btw - brother in law got a redlight picture in Edmonton, in snow, for going through .2 seconds after light changed. That's not safety, that's just a cash grab.

Khyron

yohan4ws
04-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Bow trail ?? tricky ?? its the only tinted vehicle that EVER parks in the left side of that road ..

I find the ones on 37 street heading south from 17ave way more tricky ..

I was doing 60in a 50 and was the only car, i slammed brakes right beside the guy and then coasted by..

no picture.. phew.

B17a
04-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
Bow trail ?? tricky ?? its the only tinted vehicle that EVER parks in the left side of that road ..

I find the ones on 37 street heading south from 17ave way more tricky ..

I was doing 60in a 50 and was the only car, i slammed brakes right beside the guy and then coasted by..

no picture.. phew.

I know, I'm stretching here, trying to make some of the people who have been caught there feel better! Although when there's cars parked all over on both sides you don't spot it right away.

Zero102
04-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Btw - brother in law got a redlight picture in Edmonton, in snow, for going through .2 seconds after light changed. That's not safety, that's just a cash grab.

Khyron

He was going too fast.
That's what the cameras are there for.
There was a big discussion on this before. The rule is, if you can't stop, you're driving too fast.

I remember being told that they don't use a specific speed for issuing tickets, but rather a price.
I heard the minimum ticket is $60 or $65, so the amount you have to be over does depend on the speed limit a bit (isn't the fine higher for lower speed limits? Or is that just playground zones?)

Khyron
04-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
[B] He was going too fast.
That's what the cameras are there for.
There was a big discussion on this before. The rule is, if you can't stop, you're driving too fast.

Such a copout - considering yellows are quicker than standard, and they do not adjust for weather. There's an organization in the States that will PAY the city money if camera are more effective than their set list of things to change (flashing yellows, consistantly timed based on speed, etc). But cities like the money - it's not about safety.

Humans are NOT perfect, and when you get odd weather, and traffic following too close behind (Semis and Dump trucks anyone?) you have to make a split second reaction. To give drivers less than a second of lee-way is BS. I have always been for red light cameras, provided they have some reasonable time before they become active (somewhere between 1-2 seconds).

And anyone that says someone blowing a red in the first second of it being red is the same danger as someone blowing one that's been red for 20 seconds is an idiot. Same thing with rolling stops out in the boonies. Drives me mad.

I hope you get a multinova ticket for driving 51 in a 50 zone. According to your logic that would be fair.

Khyron

7thgenvic
04-13-2004, 01:07 AM

its generally 10% (but it can be set to whatever they want) one of my teachers had done it for several years... the best way to avoid getting your picture taken is to go hard on the brakes just after you pass them, because the camera can take your picture anywhere from 30-70* ... but if between 30-70* your speed chnages more than 4km/h it will not take your picture.

t3rry stop posting things like you know what your saying, thats a fucking myth, stop talking outta your ass you POST WHORE

yohan4ws
04-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by B17a

I know, I'm stretching here, trying to make some of the people who have been caught there feel better! Although when there's cars parked all over on both sides you don't spot it right away.

sorry man, your stretchin again .. nobody's ever parked on both sides except photo radar .. I made that mistake once.. kevie88 made it twice ...

its ok though, I felt like an idiot too because I saw it there and i was like ... eeeh .. dun really look like it, i dont think they have tinted pickups .. .. BAM $211 later (109 in 60zone) ..

There was an article in the Sun a short while ago saying that photo radar doesn't slow down traffic and make roads safe.. it only temporarily slows you down so you dont get a ticket . "Yup .. slowed down for that p. radar trap, back to 120 on the 'foot " ...

This thread is proof of that.. how many people here go blazing past the lights on bow trail and .. 32nd? .. I go slow til I can see theres no p radar .. then backup she climbs to the 70-80km/h flow of traffic ...

I'll tell ya one thing that slows a person down .. intrepid ghost cars and more expensive fines ... (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34622) .. bastards. when i first say an intrepid I knew i'd get nailed by one .. they're just too common and dont look like cop cars :(

sputnik
04-13-2004, 10:47 AM

Khyron

Considering you have to ENTER the intersection when its red for the picture to be taken means that he got what he deserved.

B17a
04-13-2004, 10:59 AM

sorry man, your stretchin again .. nobody's ever parked on both sides except photo radar .. I made that mistake once.. kevie88 made it twice ...

Actually, when you're Bow Tr West heading to the Sarcee intersection, along the road by the church on the right. Sunday mornings when there's tons of cars (and minivans) parked there for church. They've had multanova parked there too along with all the church goers. That's the only time I've seen them parked on both side. I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed).

QuasarCav
04-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

t3rry stop posting things like you know what your saying, thats a fucking myth, stop talking outta your ass you POST WHORE

wait a minute.... T3rry=gonthro??

well the post whoring is consistant, but where is the rhino humping a minivan:D

7thgenvic
04-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

wait a minute.... T3rry=gonthro??

well the post whoring is consistant, but where is the rhino humping a minivan:D
hahahah HE TRIED TO TRICK US, but since im a master detective and spotted the constant post whorring, and the fact that he made first gear in a month, i solved the case, just look at gontro's shitty posts and even better look at his link that he has attached, he runs another forum and he still uses the name t3rry!

booo ya :thumbsdow down with t3rry the official post whore of beyond

QuasarCav
04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
thats some good sleuthing, but it's like a disease. when he post whores, we all whore him back until it is one big pit of whoring.

T3rry you have been spotted, your skills are limited!:whipped:

7thgenvic
04-13-2004, 01:19 PM
well it was only minor detective work! i just saw pointless posts and looked at the gay name! and badda bing, found the WHORE

Gonthro
04-13-2004, 01:24 PM
you guys are geniuses, it only took you a month and a half to figure it out, and you kno, if i cared, then it might make a diffrence... and fyi, i have not been whoring my posts are all on topic, you are the ones who are whoring up this thread with useless nonsense.

yohan4ws
04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Actually, when you're Bow Tr West heading to the Sarcee intersection, along the road by the church on the right. Sunday mornings when there's tons of cars (and minivans) parked there for church. They've had multanova parked there too along with all the church goers. That's the only time I've seen them parked on both side. I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed).

Damn .. thats good to know .. I've only ever seen them in that other area, didnt think they ever parked there...

however, wouldnt they be parked the wrong way on that side of the road ??? still way better blended in ..

Back to the topic Ive never got a photo radar ticket for less than 20 over so ... *shrug* .. just dont speed ..

It'd be nice to know a cop who exposes these secrets.

cycodelico
04-13-2004, 02:41 PM

o shit nice info viva the teacher :clap: :poosie: :thumbsup: :D ;)

Khyron
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM

Back to the topic Ive never got a photo radar ticket for less than 20 over so ... *shrug* .. just dont speed ..

My dad got a 58 in a 50 zone. But he's a menace so it's a good thing they got him!

Khyron

Gonthro
04-13-2004, 03:54 PM

multinova aren't cops, they're just another city worker...

7thgenvic
04-13-2004, 04:26 PM

multinova aren't cops, they're just another city worker...

wow t3rry that was a hard one to figure out! hahahahahahah your soo smart!!!!!!!

Zero102
04-13-2004, 06:42 PM

Humans are NOT perfect, and when you get odd weather, and traffic following too close behind (Semis and Dump trucks anyone?) you have to make a split second reaction. To give drivers less than a second of lee-way is BS. I have always been for red light cameras, provided they have some reasonable time before they become active (somewhere between 1-2 seconds).

And anyone that says someone blowing a red in the first second of it being red is the same danger as someone blowing one that's been red for 20 seconds is an idiot. Same thing with rolling stops out in the boonies. Drives me mad.

I hope you get a multinova ticket for driving 51 in a 50 zone. According to your logic that would be fair.

Khyron

According to my logic?... Umm, I said that he ran a red, he deserved the ticket.
I don't recall stating that keeping up with traffic was a crime...
I don't think anybody should speed, but when EVERYBODY is going over the limit, it's more dangerous to go the speed limit.
I have seen too many people hit by morons running red lights, I was hit myself, so ask me how I know.
2-3 seconds after it turned red. Mine turned green, got out about 3/4 of a lane, and *smash*.
Yeah, 1-2 seconds after it turns red is the same as 20 seconds. Both are dangerous.

Khyron
04-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Since most lights have ANOTHER delay from the time the one side turns red to the other side turning green, I'd love to see how you were already in the intersection 1 second after the light turned red. Even the time to react to a green light and start moving is around 1 second.

Of course, since no one objects, the city will have no problem taking pictures of people entering on a yellow.

And just like with pedestrians, you may have the right of way but it's still on you to check before proceeding. But since the fine is 500 bucks, pedestrians just assume cars will automatically stop instead of checking. Interesting that there was several pedestrian accidents right after the fines were increased. Same will happen with the lights.

And you know what's the most retarded? If I'm on the line and not sure if the light will change, instead of just coasting through it like normal, I now gun it just to make sure I don't get fucked by the camera. Safer?

Khyron

Jammer
06-26-2004, 09:26 AM
:burnout: Generally I don't speed a hell of alot, but every once in a while I get a little heavy on the foot. So I bought a radar detector, AFTER, I checked out if they worked or not. You have the same chance of detecting them as they have of detecting you. What the hell I thought, I'll buy one. I work in Fort Mac Murray so there will be lots of chances to try it out. No tickets so far but I think I will end up having a heart attack one of these times, Shit that thing is loud. It's all a flip of the coin. If you are in the city the dam thing goes off at every stop light, remote door opener and trucker with a two way radio in it.

dream_out_loud
06-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Or just don't speed :P But then again, that ain't any fun :D :thumbsup:

mutsuraboshi
06-26-2004, 11:40 AM
is there a flash when these pictures go off?

Ben
06-27-2004, 01:59 PM
yes