PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Wireless Mouse Behavior

nismodrifter
04-23-2024, 12:30 PM
I feel like such a n00b asking for help re this issue but I am really out of touch with troubleshooting newer things. I've gone from building PC's back in the day to just buying a Dell for day to day use and I am satisfied it does the job.

I have a microsoft mouse and keyboard setup. Connected to my desktop via WIRELESS (edit: its not bluetooth). This is actually the first time I have had a wireless keyboard/ mouse setup (began using this in 2021).
All was working fine x 3 years. At some point a few months ago, the mouse scroll wheel has gone nuts.

I scroll up. The page may hesitate, then scroll down first, then up. Then down. Then go up. Then randomly hesitate/jitter downwards a bit while scrolling up.
I scroll down. The page may scroll up. Then down. Then up a bit. Then down.

Wife has the same mouse/keyboard setup. I swapped it to my desktop along with the matching dongle. Same issue.
I plugged in my wired mouse. No issue.

What the heck is going on? Its something with the connection between mouse/ dongle I presume.
Any advice appreciated.

tonytiger55
04-23-2024, 12:43 PM
I had a similar issue with my logitech mouse the other day.
I found a youtube video on the weekend. You just open up the mouse & give it a good clean.

JRSC00LUDE
04-23-2024, 12:56 PM
Sounds like you have a deadmau5.

nismodrifter
04-23-2024, 01:05 PM
I had a similar issue with my logitech mouse the other day.
I found a youtube video on the weekend. You just open up the mouse & give it a good clean.

I've done that in past with other mouses but my issue is different.

I swapped mouses + bluetooth dongle.

Wired = ok
Bluetooth mouses = nope.

Swank
04-23-2024, 01:13 PM
Given that 2 devices act the same on your PC I'd say there's something buggy there. I would try uninstalling the device from device manager and then reconnect it for a fresh install. Assuming this is Windows, no clue about other OS's.

nismodrifter
04-23-2024, 01:37 PM
Given that 2 devices act the same on your PC I'd say there's something buggy there. I would try uninstalling the device from device manager and then reconnect it for a fresh install. Assuming this is Windows, no clue about other OS's.

I've done this. No luck.

ExtraSlow
04-23-2024, 01:42 PM
Are you using a docking station? I've had some issues, and the dongle was more reliable when plugged directly into the laptop and not the docking station. Occasional power cycles for everything seem to help as well.

ThePenIsMightier
04-23-2024, 02:07 PM
Sounds like you have a deadmau5.

You're a fucking genius, full stop.
It will be unreasonable lawyers from Maranello (via IT) coming after him for using dollar-store cleaning products that might compromise trademarked Scuderia badges.
It's so obvious!

nismodrifter
04-23-2024, 02:32 PM
Are you using a docking station? I've had some issues, and the dongle was more reliable when plugged directly into the laptop and not the docking station. Occasional power cycles for everything seem to help as well.

No docking. Straight into PC.

Have tried different ports. No change in symptoms.

msommers
04-23-2024, 02:50 PM
I think it's just Microsoft Keyboards. I had the same thing happening with the Sculpt setup after a year, keys randomly not working, mouse not tracking or jumping...full batteries and everything.

Pissed me off so much I ended up going back to wired everything.

Swank
04-23-2024, 04:35 PM
2 exact model mouse/dongles in the same PC with the same issue tells me the OS has a 1 where it should be a zero somewhere associated with that model of mouse/dongle. RegEdit? Maybe. Reinstall OS? For a damn mouse??? I'd go shopping for a new BT keyboard/mouse at this point. Or go full cavebro and stick with wired.

nismodrifter
04-23-2024, 05:52 PM
I've. Gone wired for the mouse for now. Fakn hell.

mr2mike
04-24-2024, 08:07 AM
I've. Gone wired for the mouse for now. Fakn hell.

Makes retrieving it that much easier.

ThePenIsMightier
04-24-2024, 08:24 AM
Makes retrieving it that much easier.

#BenoitMouseBeads

pheoxs
04-24-2024, 08:27 AM
Maybe this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/tafgx3/if_youre_having_issues_with_a_laggystuttering/

spike98
04-24-2024, 10:46 AM
Is it actually bluetooth or just wireless? Many that come with the separate dongles are just wireless and use a 2.4ghz signal that is easily interfered with. The frequency bands are already saturated with WiFi that it can cause this type of behavior. Also not having the receiver close enough to the mouse can be an issue. Even if the mouse is advertised as bluetooth compatible, sometimes this dongle still isn't using bluetooth. Verify for sure its using bluetooth first.

If it is truly Bluetooth, then I can't help as the only issues i have seen is from the mice using the stupid 2.4ghz connection.

nismodrifter
04-24-2024, 11:39 AM
Is it actually bluetooth or just wireless? Many that come with the separate dongles are just wireless and use a 2.4ghz signal that is easily interfered with. The frequency bands are already saturated with WiFi that it can cause this type of behavior. Also not having the receiver close enough to the mouse can be an issue. Even if the mouse is advertised as bluetooth compatible, sometimes this dongle still isn't using bluetooth. Verify for sure its using bluetooth first.

Genius.

Thanks for posting this. I assumed blue tooth as I thought any kind of dongle = blue tooth. It is actually wireless.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/microsoft-microsoft-wireless-desktop-900-bluetrack-keyboard-mouse-combo-pt3-00002-black-english-pt3-00002/10394690

I give up for now.

ThePenIsMightier
04-24-2024, 12:28 PM

If it is truly Bluetooth, then I can't help as the only issues i have seen is from the mice using the stupid 2.4ghz connection.

I had no idea. This is very valuable insight. Thanks!

suntan
04-24-2024, 02:45 PM
Genius.

Thanks for posting this. I assumed blue tooth as I thought any kind of dongle = blue tooth. It is actually wireless.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/microsoft-microsoft-wireless-desktop-900-bluetrack-keyboard-mouse-combo-pt3-00002-black-english-pt3-00002/10394690

I give up for now.

It's probably broken.

MSFT doesn't make keyboards or mice anymore. Their failure rate was very high.

msommers
04-24-2024, 06:17 PM
Every time I see this thread title I see Erection Wireless - the no-hands brothel.

ExtraSlow
04-24-2024, 06:39 PM
Every time I see this thread title I see Erection Wireless - the no-hands brothel.

It can be both.

ThePenIsMightier
04-25-2024, 06:36 PM
LoL. I see "Erotic"

ExtraSlow
04-25-2024, 07:34 PM
Speaking of this, I fell down the rabbit hole of different wireless connection types.
Logitech, who make a lot of keyboards and mice, have 3 or maybe 4 different connectivity types.
The "regular" 2.4ghz unifying receiver dongle, the Bluetooth LE dongle on the "for business" series, and whatever the "lightspeed" gaming series uses.

nismodrifter
05-14-2024, 11:42 AM
Speaking of this, I fell down the rabbit hole of different wireless connection types.
Logitech, who make a lot of keyboards and mice, have 3 or maybe 4 different connectivity types.
The "regular" 2.4ghz unifying receiver dongle, the Bluetooth LE dongle on the "for business" series, and whatever the "lightspeed" gaming series uses.

Going to order a new mouse today.

Looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09KX9P829/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I see it has BT connectivity, and "logi bolt" which after further look, is a proprietary 2.4ghz signal. I would elect to have it run on BT if we suspect that 2.4ghz interference is cause of my issue here.

What do you say ExtraSlow "connectivity master"? Any other recommendations?

ExtraSlow
05-14-2024, 01:14 PM
If you don't want to go the "lightspeed gaming mouse" route, then that's probably a good one for having two options. I think Logi Bolt is just the newest version of normal 2.4 ghz but I can't really prove that.

nismodrifter
05-14-2024, 01:17 PM
Yeah that's what I figure re it being normal 2.4ghz

I'll order. Fingers crossed.

Brent.ff
05-14-2024, 05:56 PM
The greatest prank ive ever pulled was plugging in a wireless mouse to a coworkers computer, and occasionally right clicking or hard scrolling when i could hear him using his mouse.. lasted for like 6 months before he finally called IT.

probably get fired for that now

nismodrifter
05-15-2024, 11:10 AM
The greatest prank ive ever pulled was plugging in a wireless mouse to a coworkers computer, and occasionally right clicking or hard scrolling when i could hear him using his mouse.. lasted for like 6 months before he finally called IT.

probably get fired for that now

Or worse.............you would be sent for some kind of "cultural competency/inclusivity" training

nismodrifter
05-21-2024, 11:02 AM
New mouse works. Thanks to those who clarified re connection protocol (wireless vs Bluetooth) and thanks for informing me re the different protocols that Logitech has.

ExtraSlow
05-22-2024, 10:16 AM
I'll probably make a post in the docking station thread, but I found I was having a lot of problems with logitech wireless mice, and part of the issue appears to have been the cheap docking stations I was using. Upgraded to a better one and it seems the issues are resolved. I think the docking station was under or over powering the USB dongle and that was messing things up.

ThePenIsMightier
05-22-2024, 02:08 PM
Erotic. Docking.
Plz move to Ask Leo.