PDA

View Full Version : Steal from Loblaws day May 12th.

ZenOps
04-26-2024, 06:26 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/comments/1cb1wxh/posters_promoting_theft_from_loblaws_circulating/

They actually went to the trouble to make a steal all day song too. Sign of the times.

ExtraSlow
04-26-2024, 06:36 PM
You need to have a mental illness to participate in this.

mr2mike
04-26-2024, 06:51 PM

Already done. Years ago.

Misterman
04-26-2024, 07:33 PM
You need to have a mental illness to participate in this.

Well they did post it to Reddit. In the military world, I believe that's called a "target rich environment"

ZenOps
04-26-2024, 07:48 PM
Global and CTV both ran the story. Very unusual for Canadian media to go on rumor.

SHuoY7Tqoco

6hwEcd0Nb_g

Overpriced 136 grams of salted popcorn at the ready. Will watch at binocular distance if this blows up.

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/boomchickapop-sea-salt/p/20770751_EA (I remember the good old days when $5 would buy two pounds of beef)

I'd still consider Galen Weston on the scale of neutral evil to chaotic evil being Kim Kardashian --- Galen Weston --- Rob Anders --- Osama Bin Laden --- Biblical Satan. That doesn't mean he gets a pass though.

Personally I still think it would be a good idea to give 40 acres of land to every Canadian born millennial tax free for one generation. I don't think Charles III would mind giving up 89% of Canada if people actually grew food on it.

phreezee
04-27-2024, 06:59 AM
The Loblaws stores have railing and gates after the doors already. Easily paid for with the bread price fixing money and Trudeau's refrigerator money lol. They were prepared for this.

arcticcat522
04-27-2024, 07:45 AM

Already done. Years ago.

Great album

ZenOps
04-27-2024, 08:20 AM
I get the feeling the TikTok ban is related.

47p2Ro6UKvk

No doubt TikTok has elements of unreality, but the reality is far more detrimental to mental health.

msommers
04-27-2024, 09:00 AM
Reminds me when that group stormed Area 51. So many lulz.

ercchry
04-27-2024, 09:03 AM
…and on Mother’s Day… ungrateful little shits

ZenOps
04-27-2024, 11:02 AM
What makes you think the moms aren't spearheading it.

Xtrema
05-02-2024, 08:21 PM
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6fNqbdJU5O/?igsh=aGt2YjVhdDR1bmJz

mr2mike
05-03-2024, 11:31 AM
Is there a Loblaws law blog stating this is illegal?

ExtraSlow
05-03-2024, 11:35 AM
Is there a Loblaws law blog stating this is illegal?

Bob writes most of that.

jutes
05-03-2024, 12:49 PM

sexualbanana
05-03-2024, 02:17 PM
This is just an example of how the Internet can distort perspectives and viewpoints. What started out as a boycott to protest growing food costs (and Loblaws being one of the largest grocers makes them an easy target) has been co-opted by a dumb movement that is encouraging people to do and say stupid things that distorts the original message. The Steal movement is a different animal from the organizer of the Boycott, which has been condemned by the latter. But the boycott has done what it wanted to do, which was catch Loblaws' attention. Not much different than the Recall Gondek stuff that was happening earlier, so it has proven to be an effective way to get an audience with the powers that be.

max_boost
05-03-2024, 02:21 PM
Loblaws is dang expensive
The wholesale club no longer wholesale prices

ExtraSlow
05-03-2024, 02:25 PM
If you think Loblaws is expensive, wait until you see Sobeys!

SJW
05-03-2024, 02:29 PM
How do I steal from the federal govt. That's more worthwhile.

suntan
05-03-2024, 02:31 PM
Calgary Co-op: "hold my beer"

Darell_n
05-03-2024, 04:33 PM
Calgary Co-op: "hold my beer"

Yes, Calgary Co-op is definitely the reigning champ for high prices, followed by Safeway / Sobeys / No Frills / blah, blah, blah Empire. Switching to Save on Foods as their supplier certainly hasn’t helped either.

ExtraSlow
05-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Really? Thought Sobeys was top of the heap. Maybe the coop near me is cheap since it's technically NE.

Closest Sobeys is like 10km away, although it's NE too....

msommers
05-03-2024, 10:13 PM
At least at Blush Lane and Sunterra, you know you're getting fucked but you don't care.

ThePenIsMightier
05-04-2024, 09:13 AM
Really? Thought Sobeys was top of the heap. Maybe the coop near me is cheap since it's technically NE.

Closest Sobeys is like 10km away, although it's NE too....

"Cheap" is relative (in my opinion) because it's a multi variable equation. How insulting are their "regular" prices and how often is virtually everything on sale for a deep enough discount that their regular prices are irrelevant?

Again, iMO that's where Co-Op loses because their sales aren't that great while Sobeys has insane regular prices, you will/should never actually have to pay those prices because all the shit you need is on sale for a decent price twice a month.

Xtrema
05-06-2024, 10:19 AM
Isn't Calgary Co-Op is now just really Save-On with extra steps?

pheoxs
05-06-2024, 10:31 AM
Isn't Calgary Co-Op is now just really Save-On with extra steps?

I believe Co-Op is separately owned but they purchased their goods from Save-on's distribution network.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6889831.1687874277!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_1180/grocery-brands.jpg

Darkane
05-06-2024, 10:35 AM
Srs question.. do you guys buy food thats not on sale?

Sobeys is near the cheapest following that tactic. Never buy food or booze full price.

Simple?

JRSC00LUDE
05-06-2024, 10:40 AM

Sobeys is near the cheapest following that tactic. Never buy food or booze full price.

Simple?

This is why I often will order the lunch special, gotta love that value. Dinner however I just get what I really want to eat.

This method keeps my monthly grocery bill sub $200 for sure.

flipstah
05-06-2024, 11:03 AM

Simple?

I agree; even though Sobeys is expensive regular price, their sales are way better vs. Calgary Co-op

Xtrema
05-06-2024, 11:03 AM

Simple?

Perishable? Not much you can do about it.

Non-Perishable, stock up when on sale.

Maxx Mazda
05-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Loblaws share price increases following boycott:

https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2024/05/loblaw-share-price-goes-up-following-boycott-weston-wealth-increases-by-540mill-op-ed/

Darkane
05-06-2024, 11:10 AM
Perishable? Not much you can do about it.

Non-Perishable, stock up when on sale.

Even still. Follow the sales.

Example: gala apples are on sale, but you eat Granny Smith like a weirdo. Well guess what, you’re eating gala this week.

I thought most people shopped like this. It’s low hanging fruit.

Xtrema
05-06-2024, 11:18 AM

Example: gala apples are on sale, but you eat Granny Smith like a weirdo. Well guess what, you’re eating gala this week.

Fuck Ambrosia tho.

suntan
05-06-2024, 11:30 AM
RCSS matches or beats everybody's sale prices, so... shop at RCSS.

SJW
05-06-2024, 12:25 PM
I will never walk into a coop store for as long as I live. Fuck that place.

D'z Nutz
05-06-2024, 02:15 PM

Simple?

Haha I almost never buy any groceries unless it's on sale and when it's on sale, I load up. Exception might be essentials like milk. I get a lot off of Flashfoods too and freeze stuff I pick up.

Disoblige
05-06-2024, 03:10 PM

I don't even buy green onions unless it's under $1 each. One time I had to buy it for $1.25 and I felt fucking disgusted with myself.

ThePenIsMightier
05-06-2024, 04:32 PM
RCSS matches or beats everybody's sale prices, so... shop at RCSS.

If I wanted to shop in a street market at the intersection of Kolkata & Nanjing, I'd go to Surrey a Superstore.

suntan
05-06-2024, 04:47 PM
If I wanted to shop in a street market at the intersection of Kolkata & Nanjing, I'd go to Surrey a Superstore.

Yeah you seem too weak for gar-lic.

Darkane
05-06-2024, 05:09 PM
I don't even buy green onions unless it's under $1 each. One time I had to buy it for $1.25 and I felt fucking disgusted with myself.

We are one

Misterman
05-07-2024, 01:11 AM

If I'm poor enough that I'm looking at the price of something completely unrequired in a diet, like apples. Then I just wouldn't buy apples. Saving a single dollar on apples seems like it's not worth worrying about, and getting what you prefer is warranted.

For all the unnecessary shit I have to buy because kids and wife. I just try to stock up on crazy Tuesday.

Nobody hear shopping at Freson Bros? They're not even on that list of conglomerates. I have no idea how they break down price wise? Wife buys some random things there.

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2024, 06:12 AM

For all the unnecessary shit I have to buy because kids and wife. I just try to stock up on crazy Tuesday.

"Crazy Tuesday" as in the first Tuesday of the month? The week that coincides with everything costing 15-20% more than any other week but if you go on that Tuesday you "get 15% off" and stand in a Disneyland-length line?
Yah, you have not cracked the code.

tirebob
05-07-2024, 06:18 AM
I just buy the food I want to eat when I want to eat it... Sale is irrelevant.

tonytiger55
05-07-2024, 08:27 AM
Does anyone use PC points to pay for the groceries?
I have the PC Mastercard. This has been the most useful credit card for myself as I don't spend much. I use the points to pay for the groceries.

What the consumer needs to understand is that if they go to a smaller store. That store may be buying all its goods from Loblaws wholesale division.

Xtrema
05-07-2024, 08:38 AM
I have the PC Mastercard. This has been the most useful credit card for myself as I don't spend much. I use the points to pay for the groceries.

What the consumer needs to understand is that if they go to a smaller store. That store may be buying all its goods from Loblaws wholesale division.

Nothing special about it other than basically 1% back like many other no fee CCs.

I'm at the stage of life where I don't eat a lot and travel budget is bigger than grocery budget. Travel CC like Westjet Mastercard seems to get me way better return than PC Mastercard.

Disoblige
05-07-2024, 09:21 AM

I try not to as saving for Shoppers redemption events are more worthwhile for me.

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2024, 11:00 AM
I try not to as saving for Shoppers redemption events are more worthwhile for me.

Agree. Always the best deals on Tampons so I can stock the bathrooms at work.

tonytiger55
05-07-2024, 11:15 AM
Nothing special about it other than basically 1% back like many other no fee CCs.

I'm at the stage of life where I don't eat a lot and travel budget is bigger than grocery budget. Travel CC like Westjet Mastercard seems to get me way better return than PC Mastercard.

I'm in the same boat. Is the tradeoff that better?
Ive moved the discussion to the Credit Card post.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/359924-What-is-your-favorite-reward-credit-card?highlight=creditcard&p=5178691#post5178691

Tik-Tok
05-07-2024, 01:09 PM
I just buy the food I want to eat when I want to eat it... Sale is irrelevant.

Beyond, where TAG Heuer wearing AMG owners compare their grocery store coupon clipping skills and battle to beat $40 phone data plans

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2024, 01:15 PM
Beyond, where TAG Heuer wearing AMG owners compare their grocery store coupon clipping skills and battle to beat $40 phone data plans

QfT.
+Rep

max_boost
05-07-2024, 01:30 PM

2-10mill homes with power lines
amazing range

jutes
05-07-2024, 01:43 PM
I knew that 5G towers were a nuisance, but living in neighborhoods with power lines is something else to consider when purchasing. Beyond always there to help.

Darkane
05-07-2024, 02:26 PM
If I'm poor enough that I'm looking at the price of something completely unrequired in a diet, like apples. Then I just wouldn't buy apples. Saving a single dollar on apples seems like it's not worth worrying about, and getting what you prefer is warranted.

Nobody hear shopping at Freson Bros? They're not even on that list of conglomerates. I have no idea how they break down price wise? Wife buys some random things there.

Apples was just my example.

Apply it to the entire shopping trip and it makes a really big difference.

Like, when loin cut pork chops are on sale - buy the big pack. Eat those 2-3 time this week.

Same with the family size ground beef. Enjoy chilli 3 times next week. Strategy like that.

Disclaimer, it doesn’t work well for kids obviously. That doesn’t need to be said, but surprisingly kids will eat it often if it tastes good.

ExtraSlow
05-07-2024, 02:37 PM
Ground beef is a good one, buy it on sale, in large quantities, make larger batches of things, freeze what you don't need right away.

Number 1 tip to lower grocery costs is to eat your damned leftovers. My family is pretty inconsistent for that TBH.

suntan
05-07-2024, 02:51 PM

Freson Bros is unbelievably expensive. Shopped there once in a while when my seasonal was in Sundre. Good sales though I guess.

pheoxs
05-07-2024, 03:08 PM
Costco chicken drumsticks has been my fav protein as of late. The $20 packages can be had with the $5 off a pack sale which brings it down quite cheap for having ~20ish drumsticks in a package.

Disoblige
05-07-2024, 03:15 PM
Costco chicken drumsticks has been my fav protein as of late. The $20 packages can be had with the $5 off a pack sale which brings it down quite cheap for having ~20ish drumsticks in a package.
So around $0.75 a drumstick? Usually try to go for $0.50 a drum or ensure you're paying under $2/lb for chicken.

Misterman
05-07-2024, 10:11 PM
"Crazy Tuesday" as in the first Tuesday of the month? The week that coincides with everything costing 15-20% more than any other week but if you go on that Tuesday you "get 15% off" and stand in a Disneyland-length line?
Yah, you have not cracked the code.

Maybe you belong in a flat earth conspiracy group?

I'm not trying to crack any code, but I have to do a big grocery shop once a month, might as well line it up with getting 15% off. There's no big line ups at my local grocery store, maybe there would be if we went at 4:30pm when everyone is getting off work? The line ups at Costco at 10am on a weekday are way worse.

Apples was just my example.

Apply it to the entire shopping trip and it makes a really big difference.

Like, when loin cut pork chops are on sale - buy the big pack. Eat those 2-3 time this week.

Same with the family size ground beef. Enjoy chilli 3 times next week. Strategy like that.

Disclaimer, it doesn’t work well for kids obviously. That doesn’t need to be said, but surprisingly kids will eat it often if it tastes good.

I don't think I really notice many things where I can make similar switch to get an on sale item. Maybe something like cheese, I would switch brands to grab an on sale brand. Generally this has to be on things that can be frozen, so you can really stock up. Like the wifes need to have grassfed organic butter at $9 per piece. When those go on sale for $6 I'll grab a bunch. But realistically is she would just eat normal $5 butter, that would actually save some costs.

My kid would probably eat whatever, and not fret at all to have the same thing 3 times in a week. It's the wife that is picky and wants to have something new every single night.

Like ExtraSlow mentioned. I am anal about wasting food now. Left overs almost never get thrown away. We used to chuck tons of food before that was a focus.

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2024, 10:34 PM
Maybe you belong in a flat earth conspiracy group?

I'm not trying to crack any code, but I have to do a big grocery shop once a month, might as well line it up with getting 15% off...

Seriously?
Let's pretend you own a grocery store and one week of every month contains the "first Tuesday" of the month. If virtually every customer gets 15% off their bill that day, how deep are you going to make the discounts for that week's flyer?
By far obviously, noticeably shittier discounts compared to every other week? Yes.
Which is what they noticeably, obviously do.

TANSTAAFL.

Misterman
05-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Seriously?
Let's pretend you own a grocery store and one week of every month contains the "first Tuesday" of the month. If virtually every customer gets 15% off their bill that day, how deep are you going to make the discounts for that week's flyer?
By far obviously, noticeably shittier discounts compared to every other week? Yes.
Which is what they noticeably, obviously do.

TANSTAAFL.

Ok story changing, that's good. Still not sure what your point is? I don't particularly care if a bunch of things I don't need or want are a better sale at other times throughout the month. It is far more economically viable to get 15% off of the things I actually purchase. And if there was some unbelievable flyer deal later in the month for something I actually purchase, I can make one off stop at the grocery store and still capture that sale. They don't ban you from the store after crazy Tuesday.

But just for fun I could do like you said, and pretend I own a grocery store. So instead of my normal 100% markup, I pick one day a month to do a 70% markup. As such I smash my volume numbers out of the park and do 2 weeks of volume in one day. Since I've acted on people's psyche and created urgency, they in turn purchased way more than they need, because it's a "sale". The 70% markup on that extra volume adds up to more gross profit than the normal 100% markup at normal volumes. So I actually don't give a shit about any other sales through the month, I'm just happy I made a bunch of extra money.

ThePenIsMightier
05-07-2024, 11:03 PM
Your write

Gman.45
05-08-2024, 12:39 PM
I wonder if the "Steal from Loblaws" day includes their ATM machines, and cash room at the end of day....

"Like hey officer, they advertised it was Steal from Loblaws day, they made a song and everything".

Disoblige
05-08-2024, 01:10 PM
You can save thousands a year by shopping smart. Whether you see value in that to the effort you put into saving money is dependent on your lifestyle. Or how your parents raised you :rofl:

Misterman
05-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Just had my half cow delivered today. Forget the grocery flyer deals, I'm getting prime rib at $6.25/lb.

pheoxs
05-08-2024, 10:17 PM
We’re from? Last time I tried to price out part of a cow it was like $10-15 a lb

Misterman
05-09-2024, 01:14 AM
We’re from? Last time I tried to price out part of a cow it was like $10-15 a lb

AAA Natural Foods. They're located between Edmonton and Boyle on HWY 831. They will deliver in Edmonton area for sure, I don't know about any farther? Price includes butchering, comes cut and wrapped.

I have a small delivery business to bring stuff from Edmonton to Fort Mac. But I might be open to doing a rip down to Calgary on a day off to deliver meat to the Beyond Bros if there was enough interest. But I imagine there has to be something similar available near Calgary.

https://www.aaanaturalfoods.com/side-or-quarter-beef

JRSC00LUDE
05-10-2024, 01:00 PM

He's including the prime rib in his overall price for a 1/2 side of beef. So he's buying approx. 350-420 lbs hanging weight at a time.

ZenOps
05-17-2024, 03:44 PM
Hard to say for sure how the boycott is going.

I can imagine that its actually fairly easy to not buy groceries, since noone has any money left nowadays.

Wn7u9oQCTvs

schurchill39
05-21-2024, 03:20 PM
You guys steal anything cool?

ZenOps
05-25-2024, 09:23 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/competition-bureau-probe-sobeys-loblaws-1.7213543

Government probe in effect. I can imagine regardless if they are innocent or not, like TD and fentanyl, they will be found guilty anyways.

Because government, and government needs money Billion dollar fine? Galen hired that patsy scapegoat just in time.

mr2mike
06-07-2024, 12:36 PM
We're making the Carbon Tax money back, right guise?

ExtraSlow
06-07-2024, 01:33 PM
That table is insane without converting to the same currency.

Brent.ff
06-07-2024, 01:38 PM
Agreed.

ThePenIsMightier
06-07-2024, 01:39 PM
Suntan said "no".

ercchry
06-07-2024, 01:40 PM

I’m more disturbed with the meal that was built

max_boost
06-07-2024, 01:42 PM
We're making the Carbon Tax money back, right guise?

What about Costco chicken

Misterman
06-07-2024, 01:43 PM

Yeah my first thought was, that doesn't even look too far off based on how little I have followed our tanking loonie value................. But turns out it is.

UK= $21.71CAD CA= $37.55CAD USA= $28.58CAD

pheoxs
06-07-2024, 01:51 PM

Last line does though?

CompletelyNumb
06-07-2024, 02:16 PM
What about Costco chicken

Closer to the USA price, but pretty disgusting. Steamed, slippery meat. I eat way too many rotisserie chickens throughout the year, Costco is generally the worst eating experience.

Misterman
06-07-2024, 03:30 PM
Closer to the USA price, but pretty disgusting. Steamed, slippery meat. I eat way too many rotisserie chickens throughout the year, Costco is generally the worst eating experience.

I work with a guy who likes dried out over cooked meat as well. Weird.

mr2mike
06-07-2024, 09:30 PM
Last line does though?

Yeah my first thought was, that doesn't even look too far off based on how little I have followed our tanking loonie value................. But turns out it is.

UK= $21.71CAD CA= $37.55CAD USA= $28.58CAD

I thought the same then I saw the bottom line.

CompletelyNumb
06-07-2024, 10:31 PM
I work with a guy who likes dried out over cooked meat as well. Weird.

If the only alternative to steamed meat you can think of is dry and overcooked, I feel sorry for you